Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Toothpaste!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

I was wondering what everyone uses as toothpaste? I've been looking into xylitol, mint, sea kelp, ayuverdic herbs, etc, etc for a long time and done lots of experimenting, also trying to switch it up everyonce in a while. Oral-B's flouride mouthwash is something I've been using also. I'm curious to hear a roll call for people's toothpaste choices.

(There has been some oral health threads in the past, but let's keep this one on lock chompers wise [pirate] )

Posted Image

#2 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

I've been using the new LEF toothpaste with pomegranate for about 2-3 months. Their results are hard to argue with, insofar as reducing periodontal bacteria. I've also started to take my probiotics in the following matter...

I use a powder form (it's tasteless), and put half a teaspoon in about an ounce of water, stir it up, and then swish it around my mouth for 60 seconds before swallowing. This populates my mouth with good bacteria, making it that much harder for the bad bacteria to grow. I read about this technique in the new book, The Probiotics Revolution.

#3 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

I use the LEF toothpaste also.

I have to admit, the mud-brown color and consistency was a little off-putting at first. I do wish it was more strongly flavored, I can barely taste the mint.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

I use whatever's being given away from Wal-Mart's free samples page.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

I rotate Spry, Biotene, and a couple of Jason toothpastes.

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

After a bit of research, I chose Crest Pro-Health. They could have done better but made a good product. I get my xylitol with drinks through-out the day.

LEF is guilty of having minute concentrations of some of the ingredients listed. Anything listed after methyl paraben would be worthless. It makes me doubt the whole product.

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

Crest Pro-Health ingredients: stannous fluoride, sodium hexametaphosphate

You is gonna catch the death.

#8 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

Crest Pro-Health ingredients: stannous fluoride, sodium hexametaphosphate

You is gonna catch the death.

Ha, I'll take my chances on that. Here is some reading via a pubmed search:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....D...[Text Word]

#9 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

Good info everyone...this was really sparked by a weird run-in I had two days ago at a local Sikh grocery store by my work. I went in on break to buy Neem Active toothpaste, and the woman said "I can't sell it to you! Recall - recall - unsafe", and said something about how it was being recalled by Health Canada. I hadn't heard anything about it, and lone behold I googled it and there it was. Wow. Really frightening.

http://www.hc-sc.gc....2007_108_e.html
http://www.sajaforum...safety-can.html
http://news.indiainf...toothpaste.html

Actually pretty frightening considering:
a) I was so pumped to buy the product and had it in my hot little hands
b) why was it still on the shelves?

(bonus ethical dillema question of what should I say, if anything, to the shopkeeper who stilll has it on her shelves?)

#10 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

I like Tom's of Maine

#11 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:42 PM

You all have broken my mighty heart!!

#12 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Try this concoction:

Put ~1 tsp baking soda and a pinch of sea salt into mouth
with 1-2 drops of each:
Neem oil
Clove oil
Cinnamon oil
Tea Tree oil
then
BRUSH LIKE HELL

#13 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

"brush like hell"

is actually a really bad idea. hard brushing creates enamel erosion

#14 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

So what did you decide on?

• Lurker

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

We are using Spry. Highly recommend it!!

#16 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

Anyone care to say why they like their toothpaste?

Were their any studies done with the LEF toothpaste? Because right mow I am only running on the assumption that it does not have dosages that would have significant effects (example: enough Pom?).

#17 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

Anyone use XyliWhite from Now?
(i like the cinnamon flavour one :-) + mouthwash)

#18 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Anyone use XyliWhite from Now?
(i like the cinnamon flavour one :-) + mouthwash)

Yep, I used it before switching to Pro-Health. I was using it because of the % xylitol and because the whitener proved safe for enamel. I swtiched because of all the positive research on sodium hexametaphosphate toothpastes.

#19 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:25 PM

I use Jason's Powersmile flouride-free. It is great stuff indeed. mmmmm

#20 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

Try this concoction:

Put ~1 tsp baking soda and a pinch of sea salt into mouth
with 1-2 drops of each: 
Neem oil
Clove oil
Cinnamon oil
Tea Tree oil
then
BRUSH LIKE HELL

Home-brew, I find it interesting. What about adding oils to a packaged toothpaste, any caveats?

#21 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

I wanted to get a fluoride free toothpaste since I drink large quantities of tea. Tom's of Maine is readily available and I really liked the peppermint flavor (tastes like real peppermint rather than artifical) and the way it makes my mouth feel. Not very scientific I know....

#22 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:08 AM

I wanted to get a fluoride free toothpaste since I drink large quantities of tea.  Tom's of Maine is readily available and I really liked the peppermint flavor (tastes like real peppermint rather than artifical) and the way it makes my mouth feel.  Not very scientific I know....

Toms of Maine uses sodium lauryl sulfate though. I am not too keen on that particular solvent.

#23 trevyn

• 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:28 AM

Currently on LEF, that stuff is insane. It stains my toothbrush something serious.

Previously enjoyed Tom's of Maine flouride-free ("homeopathic style") apricot. Tasty!

#24 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

I use the Emoform toothpaste (the one for sensitive gums). I do not know if it is that good but it is one of the rare fluoride-free toothpastes available here (France), except for homeopathic brands (I am not a believer). The taste is OK, a bit salty.

PS : and I use an electric rotative brush

#25 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

"brush like hell"

is actually a really bad idea. hard brushing creates enamel erosion

It can also cause gingival recession if you aren't careful.

#26 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

I'm going to plug Arm & Hammer: Age Defying Toothpaste (also marketed as 'enamel care') Mentadent also has a product called "replenishing white"

It has liquid calcuim which is supposed to help re-mineralize the enamel and fill in tiny holes etc.. Here are some studies:

Enamelon, Inc. (Nasdaq NM: ENML), which is using its proprietary "remineralization" technology to develop over-the-counter oral products to help stop cavities before they begin, today announced that recently published interim results of a Tufts University clinical study show Enamelon® Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste to be significantly superior to a leading fluoride toothpaste in the prevention of root caries
dental caries a destructive process causing decalcification of the tooth enamel and leading to continued destruction of enamel and dentin, and cavitation of the tooth.

To date, patients using Enamelon® Toothpaste in the double-blind, clinical trial showed an average monthly net increase of only 0.06 root-surface caries, versus 0.45 for those using conventional fluoride toothpaste. This means, over a 12 month period, those using a conventional toothpaste would be expected to develop about 5 root surface carious sites, whereas those using Enamelon®, for the same period of time, would be expected to develop fewer than one root surface carious site. The authors note that the incidence of caries in Enamelon users who have completed 12 months in the study were comparable to results from earlier studies of patients who used daily prescription stannous
stannous fluoride a dental caries prophylactic, SnF2, applied topically to the teeth.

http://www.thefreeli... ...-a055566604

I find this to be particularly useful after using crest white-strips (which temporarily leave my teeth slightly transparent). Crest white strips take out the stain, liquid calcium recalcifies stained areas.

A good read:
http://www.discusden...LecturePack.pdf

And as I read, it appears that the calcium and the phosphate must be stored separately: hence your toothpaste must have 2 tubes. The age-defying arm and hammer brand only had one compartment for the toothpaste, so I might try mentadent next go round.

Edited by lucid, 01 April 2008 - 07:47 PM.

• like x 1

#27 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

The link below outlines various calcium re-mineralizations technologies (mainly ACP, CSP, CPP) and various brands which use the technologies. I would be interested to see a discussion of which ones are better.
http://www.discusden...LecturePack.pdf
  • like x 1

#28 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

And as I read, it appears that the calcium and the phosphate must be stored separately: hence your toothpaste must have 2 tubes.

This is not true for NovaMin, which is formulated in a water free toothpaste.

#29 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:45 AM

I use Oravive with NovaMin. Good Stuff.
  • like x 1

#30 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

I had some mild gingivitis before, and it seemed like nothing would get rid of it. I switched to LEF's toothpaste and some xylitol gum, and I have had no problems since.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users