- - - - -

SENS 3 lectures?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hey guys, anyone knows if they are going to post the SENS 3 lectures?

And btw for whoever been there, how did it go? I heard nothing about it.

Edit by Live Forever:
Here is the direct link to the page with the videos for any future people looking for it: http://www.richardjs...g2_itemId=56847

Edited by Live Forever, 08 October 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

I know elrond was there. He told me it was really a great time. I am sure if he sees this thread he will fill in everyone on how it went.

#3 kent23

• 146 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

My mind got scrambled and it hasn't come back together yet. So, yeah, it was amazing. Something that struck me compared to SENS2 was how many people stayed up every night until two or three a.m. conspiring to defeat aging. There was thrice as much that sort of thing at SENS3. I came away with a massive sense of hope that I didn't have before I got on the plane.

Now, in the aftermath, there's so much to be done... And I haven't even begun to process the specifics... I am still coming down...

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:10 AM

the most important part of any conference is the staying up till 3 every night conspiring :)) Hardly slept at all the whole conference. No thanks to you and Tim :))

Fantastic conference, ton of information. Many great ideas and plans. I gotta say though I'm glad I'm back in med school for some R & R, a few more days of that and I would have experienced massive liquefactive necrosis of my entire brain. It's like trying to pour a gallon of information into a shot glass, you can only do it under incredible pressure like in a neutron star. In this case it is the incredible pressure of 100,000 lives being on the line every day.

I think they are putting it online at some point. Ask Kevin, he'll know better.

#5 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:15 AM

Some summaries are posted here:

http://www.mprize.org/

(no lectures)

#6 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

I've got a monolithic video file with a separate audio track that needs to be synced and split. I'm going to try and get this done "soon"..

The powerpoints should be able to put up within the next few days.

#7 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

Wow! now you guys really make me curious!
*pokes kevin*
I'm counting on you! :)

#8 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Patrizia D'Alessio: http://richardjschue...g2_itemId=56877

#9 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

I've got a monolithic video file with a separate audio track that needs to be synced and split. I'm going to try and get this done "soon"..

The powerpoints should be able to put up within the next few days.

thanks Kev [thumb]

#10 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

Very interesting ;) Thank you for the video.

Can't wait to see more!

#11 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

I should have Ray kurzweil and chris phoenix up within a very short time. I'll post here the moment I do. Editing these things is quite hard. There is no direct or easy path from Hidef avchd to flash. I figure up and ulgy is better than not up at all. Over time, I'll optimize these things so they look as good as possible for a given bandwidth. And get the watermark further to the bottom.

It dominates youtube, that's for sure.

Edited by richardschueler, 22 September 2007 - 09:41 PM.

#12 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

I should have Ray kurzweil...

Kurzweil was in fact at the Sens 3 conference? I'm new to this so please pardon me ;). Has Kurzweil attended the previous Sens conferences or was this his first?

I'm a huge advocate of Kurzweil, and I would be very pleased to know he's not only endorsed Aubrey and Sens, but in fact has attended the conference.

#13 Athan

• 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

I'm a huge advocate of Kurzweil, and I would be very pleased to know he's not only endorsed Aubrey and Sens, but in fact has attended the conference.

I wouldn't doubt him being there. He's advocated Aubrey in The Singularity is Near, so either Kurzweil knows him or they know each other.

#14 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

He 2 way video conferenced us.

#15 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

I wouldn't doubt him being there. He's advocated Aubrey in The Singularity is Near, so either Kurzweil knows him or they know each other.

I think I remember seeing an amateur interview with Aubrey who stated that he has met and conversed with Ray Kurzweil. I've heard Kurzweil reference Aubrey's work in many of his public lectures/discussions. If there is anyone who's judgment I trust most, Ray Kurzweil is likely him.

#16 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

He 2 way video conferenced us.

Did he use his infamous 3D Holograph by any chance? That would be way too awesome to see. I've heard him speak of using it for distance discussions recently, would be awesome to know if he did it for Sens. I've never seen it myself, I'm hoping it finds youtube soon since the manner in which he explains it seems very futuristic.

#17 Athan

• 156 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

If there is anyone who's judgment I trust most, Ray Kurzweil is likely him.

I like the guy too. I think he's a little overoptimistic for me (my personal philosophy is: be more pessimistic than optimistic when it comes to important things and you'll never be disappointed) but I enjoy many of his works and he's had many predictions turn out correct. I mostly trust his judgment, but he can get a little overzealous.

And good thing that he conferenced at SENS, looking forward to the videos ;)

#18 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:04 AM

We used polycom pvx, and left the bandwidth quite low to increase the chances of no drops. We still had a drop mid way ;) We could have cranked up the settings on the pvx app, and got a very very clean picture. When you see the vid I upload, you'll be seeing a flash encoded from a mpeg2 dvd from a avchd, from a sony camcorder, from a dlp projector from the analog video out of a sony tx series from the pvx application. I didn't have time to figure out a screen capture program like fraps to get his feed cleaner, if I did, I'd miss the timing of his changes of his powerpoint...

work cpu work......

#19 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:39 AM

If there is anyone who's judgment I trust most, Ray Kurzweil is likely him.

I like the guy too. I think he's a little overoptimistic for me (my personal philosophy is: be more pessimistic than optimistic when it comes to important things and you'll never be disappointed) but I enjoy many of his works and he's had many predictions turn out correct. I mostly trust his judgment, but he can get a little overzealous.

And good thing that he conferenced at SENS, looking forward to the videos ;)

There's no doubt his optimism is unparalleled, but I see his predictions as a changing of the guard. It seems to me that predictions of progression have always been seemingly conservative in the past (aside from maybe people in the 70s feeling as if AI would be relevant in 2001, etc..). His models that show the rate of progression are hard to argue with. After reading The Singularity is Near, I had a new sense of enthusiasm. Of course I say this being part of the younger demographic, so my enthusiasm is likely related to the fact that there is seemingly more time for me to experience these innovations than say of someone who might be middle-aged.

I do think that sometimes his overzealous predictions are purposely made to provoke innovators and other great thinkers.

#20 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:18 AM

Zheng Cui's talk on natural human cancer resistance is up: http://richardjschue...navId=x94fb163f

It's low res, I'm working on getting a high rez to work.

#21 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

I have to wait for the machines to finish, will pick up in the morning, g'night.

#22 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

Zheng Cui's talk on natural human cancer resistance is up:  http://richardjschue...navId=x94fb163f

Thanks for this Richard, this is an awesome discussion to watch, very interesting approach to cancer.

Between all of this, and the upcoming Stem Cell Summit, there should be a good amount of material circulating in the next few weeks.

http://www.thestemcellsummit.com/

I liked the tidbit where they ripped on Brittany Spears being the most blogged news of May 2006 instead of their findings.

#23 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Ray Kurzweil is up,
Chris Phoenix is up,
Larger Zheng Cui will be up in a few hours.
http://richardjschue...g2_itemId=56847

#24 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

Larger Zheng Cui will be up in a few hours.
http://richardjschue...g2_itemId=56847

Nice. I have been interested in Zheng Cui's research since i saw it hit the wires. Thanks.

#25 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hi everyone - just to clarify, for those of you who don't know: Richard Schueler attended the whole conference and superbly masterminded the videoing of it, with expert help from both the college's projectionist (James Wardley) and another attendee, Irwin Bussel. Richard is preparing these videos for posting on the sens.org/sens3 website; audios and PowerPoints will also be available. As with past SENS conferences, I will only be able to post publicly those talks whose speakers give permission; I'm obtaining those permissions at present. Richard is prioritising those for which I already have permission, and posting them pro tem at his own site. Timeframe for getting everything up at sens.org is a week or two.

#26 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

It's great to have your help with this Richard.. many thanks! I'm actually of the mind that getting the audio MP3 files up with the powerpoints might be more useful in the short term. Would you be happening to consider dealing with that part of the media?

Excellent work!

KP

#27 richardschueler

• 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:29 PM

Stuart (don't know last name) ran the camera for many sessions also.

Cutting the mp3's into individual talks, is as hard as it is to cut the videos. Encoding the vids does have the upside that you've got video when you're done. I think the powerpoints have great value, as you can't get any better resolution than the original file. I've got a new quadcore on the way tomorrow, so I'll be able to transcode a lot faster, and I'm teaching someone else to do what I'm doing so we can have 3 computers going at the same time. If someone else wants to work on mp3's only, I'd love it. I'm sure there's some peopel that would love to put this content in their ipod, and maybe watch for specific parts of the videos when they get home.

Full speed ahead!

I only have 2 powerpoints, if someone get's them to me, I'll host them.

Edited by richardschueler, 23 September 2007 - 11:42 PM.

#28 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

Calimport. Sorry Stuart!

PowerPoints - hm, I thought you'd taken them off James's computer? - if not, we may be rather screwed, since hardly anyone sent me their powerpoints ahead of time. But resolution is not vital for scientific talks, so maybe the videos do the same job (as well as being synchronsed with the audio of course!).

#29 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:03 AM

Thanks aubrey and Richard, I look forward to seeing them.

#30 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:16 AM

Richard, I'm not sure the audio signal that we fed into the camera isn't good enough. We thought maybe we'd need to sync up the clean audio to the video, but it seems fine (at least if what I've heard on Alessios' talk is).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users