• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Hebrew Help - Project Title

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Dear chosen people, or at least speakers of Hebrew. ;))

For a project proposal potentially involving Jewish collaborators on regeneration/rejuvenation technology involving cell reprogramming, we need a pithy short 'label'- type title to go with the academic subtitle.

Could you please list a few words in Hebrew that translate as "regeneration", "rejuvenation", etc.
Please list only words that you would use yourself for a project and that would not raise an eyebrow in academic Jewish circles -- for example "anti-aging" nowadays has rather negative, unscientific connotations in English. On the other hand "Chayim" or "Chai" is probably too tired and used-up in Hebrew?

If you have a good word, please give the word in its English spelling and an approximate translation.

Your help would be most gratefully appreciated!

#2 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hi, Caliban.
Chosen-Shmosen – Hebrew speakers is just fine ;))

Re: regeneration/rejuvenation technology involving cell reprogramming

òéãåã øâðøöéä áàîöòåú äðãñä âðèéú
Idud Regenerazia Beemzaut Handasa Genetit
Regeneration Stimulation through Genetic Engineering
(This is probably the lowest profile, least objectionable title you can go)

îç÷ø åôéúåç èëðåìåâéåú ìòéãåã øâðøöéä åòéëåá úäìéëé äæã÷ðåú áàîöòåú äðãñä âðèéú
Mechkar u Pituach Technologiot leIdud Regenerazia ve Ikuv Tahalichey Hizdaknut Beemzaut Handasa Genetit
Research and Development of Technologies for Regeneration Stimulation and Delaying the Aging process through Genetic Engineering

òéãåã øâðøöéä
Idud Regenerazia
Stimulation of Regeneration

òéëåá úäìéëé äæ÷ðåú
Ikuv Tahalichey Hizdaknut
Slowing down/delaying the aging process
(also quite a main-stream term)

äðãñä âðèéú
Handasa Genetit
Genetic Engineering

úëðåï âðèé
Tichnun Geneti
Genetic programming

áéåìåâéä îåì÷åìøéú
Bilogia Molekularit
Molecular Biology

äàøëú çééí
Haarachat Haim
Life Extension

äàøëú çééí ðéñéåðéú
Haarachat Haim Nisionit
Experimental Life Extension

äàøëú çééí áçéåú îåãì
Haarachat Haim be Haiot Model
Life Extension in Animal Models

äöòøä
Haza’ra
Rejuvenation
(That’s the exact term for rejuvenation, though if you mention it in scientific circles, they may look strange at you).

äòöîú çééí
Haazamat Haim
Life Enhancement
(also not a very acceptable term, but sometimes used in psychological research)

äòöîú çéåðéåú
Haazamat Hiuniut
Vitality enhancement
(more acceptable, including biology)

Can you tell more about the proposal? Whom will you contact? Would be happy to help.

LeChaim (to life).
Ilia.

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thank you so much Ilia

I think I was less than clear, and i can't currently talk too much about the negotiations -- for both facts I apologise.

In the end, we went with an English title throughout.

Purely out of interest, -and i realise you might not be the best person to ask this- has "Nehushtan" negative connotations for religious Jews?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

Ah, Now I think I am getting you. I guess, you were looking for something short and fraught with religious symbolism? You could have tried “Shoresh Hahaim” (The Root of life) or “HaMaayan Hamitgaber” (the reinforcing fountain/spring), “Ezem HaTchia” (the basis/source of resurrection), Or just “Luz” – also a very popular term in Kabbalah, meaning an endocrine gland, a sprout and a source of regeneration. Jacob used “Luz” (almond) rods to change the color of his sheep, so it might be a metaphor for “reprogramming” too.

As for “Nahushtan” – you mean the copper snake or caduceus? There seems to be nothing wrong with its religious symbolism. Moses used it to treat snake bites in the Desert. It’s also a symbol of Israel Defense Forces medical service. (Not a very colloquial term though, could also mean a resolute/stubborn person).

But I might have missed the mark again. Sorry in advance :))

Edited by ilia, 01 October 2007 - 05:30 PM.

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

Yes we were looking for something short, and sybolic - needn't be religious.
Yes I meant the snake - because, well it implied technology but your other terms would have been much better.
I think Dey is looking at another collab where your terms may yet be useful, thanks a bunch!

#6 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Umm, I'm not so sure about øâðøöéä (regeneration) cause it's not really an official word in Hebrew..

Shouldn't we use "çéãåù"/"äúçãùåú"?

#7 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Well, Hithadshut (renewal) is a more colloquial term, while Regenerazia is used in scientific works. Could also say "Ez Hahaim" (the tree of life), but it has been very used up...

Edited by ilia, 04 October 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#8 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:13 AM

just randomly came across this. Spent a little time in Israel, somewhat fluent aval lo mamash.
Perhaps apply the reflexive form to the shoresh laydah, i.e. birth/generation; also, is there a verb associated with the word "tzair"? Obviously trying to apply the reflexive to tzair would get confused with hitzta'er. Modern Hebrew is a relatively young language, and if it were up to me a telephone would be sachrechok. Get creative with the roots of Hebrew instead of stealing from English and Romance language, zeh da'ati al halashon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users