Photo
- - - - -

The best shave

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:36 AM

I have a fairly basic routine set up when I shave. My goal is to get my skin as smooth as possible without damaging it

Here's what I do:

1. Warm/heat face with warm face washer. (if I have 3 or more days growth I steam my face for 3minutes)
2. Apply pre-emulsion lotion
3. Apply shaving cream/gel
4. Shave (with grain) with twin blade disposable razor (Shick extreme)
5. Wash and cool face with cold face washer
6. Apply Juvess antiaging moisturising cream

Now what does every body else do? What's your secret

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

It is impossible to get a good shave with any disposable razor.

I shave with a japanese straight razor forged by Shigeyoshi Iwasaki.

You can shave against the grain comfortably with no razor burn, and the result is as smooth as a baby's butt.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

technique??

How do you use this razor?

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:53 AM

more or less how you use any straight razor. Although it does take a little more practice since with a japanese razor you only shave with one side (concave side facing face).

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

hmmm where do you get those?

i find it nearly impossible to get a good shave period. i HAVE to shave against the grain, and i usually get some burn.

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

I've heard straight razors are the way to go; Unfortunately I have never gotten one.

This is a great Q&A I read a bit ago on how to have a good shave and what a lost art it is:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/
(makes it sound really terrific)

#7 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

My approach since I was 18:

1) Grow beard out for 10 years (frequent trimming and keeping it short recommended for aesthetics, but optional - see Billy Gibbons, Aubrey de Grey, and others).

2) Shave it all off after a nice steamy shower to the horror/surprise of family and friends. That first day your face will be smooth as silk.

3) Repeat.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

The straight blade has piqued my interest.

Otherwise, I just use an electric razor. It is so-so. The one good thing is that the razor I have has lasted 20 years. Lately it seems like the motor is slowing down but I still get a decent shave. It was a good investment.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

I got a free sample of a new multiblade rasor blade with FIVE blades. (I forget the name) I thought it was silly, til I used it. It rocks. Unfortunately, it doesn't last all that long. I'm liking my Braun electric razor more and more for the convenience. The quality of the shave is pretty good, considering how easy it is.

#10 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

The one good thing is that the razor I have has lasted 20 years. Lately it seems like the motor is slowing down but I still get a decent shave. It was a good investment.

[:o] that's an understatement. 20 freakin years?

what brand was that?

I shave with a japanese straight razor forged by Shigeyoshi Iwasaki.

is that the same guy that made the swords in kill bill 2? [lol]

how do you go about obtaining one of those Iwasaki razors?

#11 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:17 AM

Those Iwasaki straight blades cost around US$300

http://www.dick.biz/...on_Iwasaki.html

#12 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:55 AM

I have always used electric shavers, never needed anything more for my skin.

#13 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:29 AM

My favorite razor is a Gillette Daisy. It's disposable. It's pink. And gentle enough for a woman's private parts. Same as me.

Recommended only for he-men confident in their masculinity.

#14 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:11 AM

If convenient, I always have a shower beforehand, then a few drops of shave oil, then my trusty gillette mach 3. Afterwards I spray my neck with an ingrown hair solution (always had problems before this), then moisturise.
Before I sarted this routine I always had trouble with razor burn. I tried using an electric razor for a while, but it bit and irritated my skin too much.

Gee...imagine the first few times using that Iwasaki blade. I'd be afraid of slitting my throat!

#15 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:13 AM

Just for the record....someone has predicted that we should have a 14 blade razor by the year 2014

Posted Image

#16 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

lol!!!

i use the phillips phillishave smart touch xl and have been using that for nearly 1.5yrs.

i have probably the toughest beard of anyone and what makes mine even worse to manage/shave is the fact that the grain grows in different directions. very, very painful. previous to the electric shaver i was using all different sorts of blades with mixed success and dismal failures.

in the morning come out of the shower and dry the face. I then apply pre electric lotion and this helps to dry the hairs and make them stand on end. then apply a shaver guard onto the electric shaver that helps lubricate it. and shave. it took my skin nearly 3 months to get used to the electric shaver and now there's no way i'll go back to a blade.

i have also used the remington soothing powder on the face before the shave and that helps the shaver to glide but i never get a smooth a shave as the pre lectric lotion.

now i get a smooth shave with very few ingrown hairs but because it is dark, i will always have the 5 o'clock shadow [mellow]

#17 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Those Iwasaki straight blades cost around US$300

http://www.dick.biz/...on_Iwasaki.html

i don't recommend getting one unless you are a long time fan of using straight razors. You can get a fantastic shave with any quality straight razor (that you can pick up in a junk store, or on ebay for less than 15 bucks). You wouldn't appreciate an Iwasaki if you got it straight away, and you'd probably just cut yourself a lot.

That link is for an iwasaki made with rentetsu. They can also be made of tamahagane. If you have to ask how much those cost you can't afford it :))

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:50 AM.

#18 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

how do you go about obtaining one of those Iwasaki razors?

I had an agent buy one for me in Japan, and ship it to me.

#19 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

It depends on how much time I have and the length of my beard.

If it's longer, I'll use pre-shave oil and this:

Posted Image

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll swap it back to Aveeno shave gel and a quick swipe with a Gillette Sensor Excel.

#20 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

It depends on how much time I have and the length of my beard.

If it's longer, I'll use pre-shave oil and this:

Posted Image

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll swap it back to Aveeno shave gel and a quick swipe with a Gillette Sensor Excel.

In the article I linked to, it makes a big deal out of the brush (badger hair being the best, evidently) that you use. Is yours a good one, shep?

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:50 AM.

#21 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

not just any old badger hair, you want sliver tip :))

#22 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

not just any old badger hair, you want sliver tip :))

Is sliver tip a brand or a kind of hair? The guy in the article says that the ones made of neck hair of badgers is supposedly the best. (and most expensive)

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:51 AM.

#23 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

yep, it's from the neck

#24 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

honestly though a "best" badger brush is probably plenty good, and much cheaper

#25 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

Is yours a good one, shep?

Yeah, it's a Merkur Silvertip brush. Probably not the best, but I would imagine you're getting into diminishing returns past that point and the type of handle plays a bigger role in the price.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:51 AM.

#26 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

Much as i enjoy the indulgent machismo of traditional shaving it just cuts the hell out of my face. I have the insane combination of thick hair and skin of a 8 year old girl (texture if not appearance), which means my the razor, however sharp, just judders along my face leaving a trail of destruction. Even tried the full Al Capone barber experience with hot towels, balm, brush etc but my skin was still in trauma afterwards.

So I switched to electric and haven't looked back. If you have dense or thick hair you HAVE to spend some money to get decent results, a lot of people try some £20 battery razor, get skin irritation and a badly cut beard and think "electric's are crap" and go back to wet.

I tried Phillips and it was rubbish, which was a shame as my wife spent £70.00 on it for my birthday. Beware that if (like me) you call them up and say "Hi, I've tried your razor and it's really not very good. I have tried it for three days and it just doesn't do a good job" they tell you that, as it's used, they can't resell it and therefore you can't have you're money back. WTF!! So just shell out a load of money for the new Phillishave to find out it doesn't work!! Anyway...

I have plumped for the Braun Synchro - I bought it about 18 months ago, it has a cleaning hub that recharges and cleans it after every shave which is cool (if a little noisy). I don't need any pre-shave creams etc but for new users of any electric it is likely to cause redness, itchiness for the first week but this generally stops quickly (I had it twice) but it's much better than sticking bits of toilet paper on your face. Also don't forget to change the block and foil regularly (6 months for me) as it really effects performance.

Here she is:

Attached Files

#27 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

which means my the razor, however sharp, just judders along my face leaving a trail of destruction.

How sharp are we talking about? Pass hanging hair test? (on a thin hair)

I've had this problem if my razor isn't *very* sharp. One of the reasons I switched to the Iwasaki, holds a better edge longer.

#28 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

It's hard to cut a hanging hair with a Mach 3 [lol] but I have been under the blade of a few highly reputable barbers' cut-throats which I am assuming are pretty damn sharp.

How do you go about re-sharpening the Shigeyoshi Iwasaki (if you stick that into google, this topic comes 4th BTW!) and how often so you have to do it.

I have no problem spending £130 (approx yen conversion) on a quality product that will last but it's a lot to throw away on something that doesn't work for me.

For anyone interested there is quite a good forum/thread on these blades below:

http://www.straightr...read.php?t=9881

sentinel

#29 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

hrmmm. You've been shaved by barbers with straights and still get all cut up?

I don't know what to tell you.

In regards to the mach 3, I thought you were referring to a straight.

I can probably shave 100 times between sharpening. I use a Belgian coticule as a hone. First with a wet slurry, then dry. Takes maybe ten minutes.

Thinking about getting a strop with .25 micron diamond paste, but the coticule does the job, and it passes the hanging hair test. The .25 might make it too sharp. I've heard that having a razor thats too sharp actually gives you a not as close shave because you can't push it into your face at all without cutting.

I have a Japanese water-stone that is about 12,000 grit. I'm sure it would work, but it would take forever. I tried sharpening it with that at first but I wasn't getting anywhere so i bought the coticule. The coticule cuts much faster. It is made of particles of garnet which has a hardness of about 7, vs whatever the hardness of the particles in the japanese water-stone are, much less.

My original experience shaving with straights actually was with an old microtome. Then I bought some junky straight made in Pakistan. It worked but i had to sharpen it often (it could get a good edge, just not hold it). Then I bought the Iwasaki.

Before even considering buying an iwasaki I would buy a much cheaper straight, maybe send it for professional sharpening for about 20 bucks so you know what its like to have a sharp razor (it takes some practice to be able to sharpen effectively yourself). You'll give yourself some nicks at first, but you should be able to get a good shave unless you're from krypton. I understand superman had some problems at the barber for a while. Kept breaking the scissors. Not sure what he ended up doing in the end ;))

#30 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Not to detract from the barbers, I merely emerged with a rather raw feeling face that would be very dry and sensitive later, only the occasional nick.

BTW Superman borrows my synchro but I always have to change the block afterwards [thumb]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users