Photo
- - - - -

New Skin Care

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

Anyone used the Juvess cream? Any results? Ingredients look decent.

#2 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

The ingredients are excellent...I believe a local boy formulated it, yeah?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:20 PM

It's run by one of the members here so more trustworthy than most. Zoolander has used it apparently with good results and I just put in an order as it has most of the ingredients I usually put in to my SkinAcitves DIY cream and I have the rest at home.

Always good to support a good cause too, ie Immortality [thumb]

sentinel

#4 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

I put in an order for 2 jars. I'm a bit confused though as it never told me what the shipping costs are... I guess i'll find out when I get my credit card statement.. don't forget the ImmInst offer code!

#5 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

That's a good point I received no shipping prompt and I have dropped them a mail via GoogleCheckout which can be used as external (to website) means to adapt the shipping charges.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how it works in due course.

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'm using it as well. For a short time that is, so no comments on the effects. Although a positive fact is that my allergic-prone skin tolerates it very well.

Shipping was prompt within a week (Netherlands, Europe).

#7 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

I'm a bit confused though as it never told me what the shipping costs are...

For within the U.S., shipping is priced in. For international orders, email Sales@juvess.com with the amount of cream desired and you will get an invoice with shipping included. Generally, it is an additional $5.

Soon we will have a cart system that will deal with this more conveniently.

Juvess_Support

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:32 AM.

#8 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

yup, quick as a flash, I've had a response and the shipping is sorted (and very reasonable).

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

I have been using it now for about 3 weeks.

As mentioned above, I've been good/great results. I can't say enough about the quality of ingredients in the moisturiser. They are all scientifically backed and ingredients you usually only find in creams in the $100+ per ounce bracket. Considering that you get 2oz of juvess for just $30, that's a huge difference. Chris must be making like $2 profit per jar. WTF?

Anyhow, I added a few extras to my moisturiser. It doesn't really need any extras but I added a few drops of an antioxidant booster and a little rosehip oil. These oils can cause an allergic reaction in some so it's good that it's not in the cream to start off with. Perhaps in the future they can give buyers the option of adding extras to thier cream

JUVESS SUGGESTION: Add-ons options

1. Anti-oxidant booster
2. Extra lipophillic (lipids) compounds.

These would both be great for people with dry skin. Number 2 perhaps not that good for people with oily skin

I apply the moisturizer in the morning after cleansing with a 2%salicyclic acid cleanser. The moisturizer applies extremely well and you only need to basically put a thin layer onto one finger tip to cover your entire face. I massage the moisturizer in and my skin sucks it up. Shortly after (10 seconds or so) applying the moisturizer my skin feel tighter and really smooth. I haven't felt my skin feel this smooth for years. It feels a hell of a lot smoother and feels very soft.

When I bought the juvess moisturizer I bought a tub for my girlfriend as well and like me she can't stop raving about it.

I've got nothing but absolute praise for Juvess both for the quality and feel of the mosturizer. Results after just 3 weeks are excellent because my skin feel a lot more elastic, it's smooth and feels soft to touch. On top of all of this the business ethics is also an important thing. Juvess doesn't just sell a moisturiser to prevent the signs of aging it also believes in anti-aging/immortality meme because it puts most of it's profits back into supporting research.

#10 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

I've got nothing but absolute praise for Juvess both for the quality and feel of the mosturizer. Results after just 3 weeks are excellent because my skin feel a lot more elastic, it's smooth and feels soft to touch.

Jeez zoolander, I thought I just clicked myself into an infomercial for a minute there, not a forum about skin health for the scientifically inclined. Are we selling something here?

I DO like that part of the money goes to sens.org and it´s great that it´s formulated by a member of this community. A very good initiative. But I have to look at this cream with the same eyes as I do with all others. This is my critique.

I´ve seen the ingredients in the base cream. It will definitely moisturize dry skin and prevent normal skin from getting dry. But the final cream has never been tested to prevent sun burned cells (SBCs), photoaging or erythema. There´s a big difference between in vitro studies of single ingredients in cell culture and the in vivo results on a human from a final cream.

Carnosine looks like a good ingredient when you add it to cultured human fibroblasts in a lab. But it is a dipeptide and it has little chance to penetrate beneath the stratum corneum. If it stays on top it can´t do it´s anti-glycation action down in the dermis or epidermis where you want your actives.

We´ve discussed the studies that Beiersdorf (Nivea, Eucerin etc) has done on Q10 and it looks lika a good topical. So I like the inclusion of 1% Q10.

I´ve never seen any studies done on beta-glucan in the prevention of aging skin. But it does look like a promising wound treatment that actually can penetrate the skin.

The copper peptides has some good studies behind it showing enhanced wound healing and collagen synthesis. But the copper peptides can be bought cheaper from Neutrogena, they licensed the technology from the original biotech company Procyte (now Photomedex).

I think we should look at this as a moisturizer to keep skin looking good. When this cream has been proven to prevent collagen breakdown, DNA-damage, erythema or SBCs; first then should we start to talk about it as an topical anti-aging treatment.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:32 AM.

• Informative x 1

#11 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

Jeez zoolander, I thought I just clicked myself into an infomercial for a minute there, not a forum about skin health for the scientifically inclined. Are we selling something here?

Yes. LOL. I'm selling (perhaps overdoing it) the juvess product. I don't actually sell the product physically but I'm excited about the moiturizer hence, the sell.
I re-read the post just after I posted it and thought that it did look a little infomercially.

Fredrik, if you reply to this post in the next 10 minutes I will send you a no questions asked, money back guarantee, response to your reply. Plus a set of free steak knives

#12 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

Yes. LOL. I'm selling (perhaps overdoing it) the juvess product. I don't actually sell the product physically but I'm excited about the moiturizer hence, the sell.
I re-read the post just after I posted it and thought that it did look a little infomercially.

Fredrik, if you reply to this post in the next 10 minutes I will send you a no questions asked, money back guarantee, response to your reply. Plus a set of free steak knives

hehe, I´m glad you took my comment the right way. Didn´t mean to sound harsh, just tease you a bit.

Oh you´re sweet but what the hell is this vegan going to do with a set of steak knives?! LOL

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:33 AM.

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

Tofu steaks silly

#14 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:06 AM

Tofu steaks silly

oh um...of course

#15 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:19 AM

Fredrik: sounds like you could help Juvess develop a better product.

#16 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Why does the ad says it has 1% Q10, while the ingredient list says it has 0.5% Q10?

#17 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Why does the ad says it has 1% Q10, while the ingredient list says it has 0.5% Q10?

Ah, thank you for catching this. The concentration is .5%. I will update the banner today.

#18 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I think calling the cream just a moisturizer misses the mark. It would not take into account the immunomodulatory/stimulant properties that increase collagen synthesis. Nor would it take into account the restoration of the mitochondria in the skin and modulation of oxidative stress. While I may do a for fun 'study' of the final cream on my own with some friends at school, I doubt there will ever be a true study of the final cream.

Here are some studies that I promised earlier:
COQ10 on photoaging and cellular maintenance :

Biofactors. 1999;9(2-4):371-8
    Coenzyme Q10, a cutaneous antioxidant and energizer.
    Hoppe U, Bergemann J, Diembeck W, Ennen J, Gohla S, Harris I, Jacob J, Kielholz J, Mei W, Pollet D, Schachtschabel D, Sauermann G, Schreiner V, Stäb F, Steckel F.
    Paul Gerson Unna Research Center, Beiersdorf AG, Hamburg, Germany.

The processes of aging and photoaging are associated with an increase in cellular oxidation. This may be in part due to a decline in the levels of the endogenous cellular antioxidant coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone, CoQ10). Therefore, we have investigated whether topical application of CoQ10 has the beneficial effect of preventing photoaging. We were able to demonstrate that CoQ10 penetrated into the viable layers of the epidermis and reduce the level of oxidation measured by weak photon emission. Furthermore, a reduction in wrinkle depth following CoQ10 application was also shown. CoQ10 was determined to be effective against UVA mediated oxidative stress in human keratinocytes in terms of thiol depletion, activation of specific phosphotyrosine kinases and prevention of oxidative DNA damage. CoQ10 was also able to significantly suppress the expression of collagenase in human dermal fibroblasts following UVA irradiation. These results indicate that CoQ10 has the efficacy to prevent many of the detrimental effects of photoaging.

PMID: 10416055 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Z Gerontol Geriatr. 1999 Apr;32(2):83-8.Links
    [Modulation of oxidative stresses in human aging skin]

Blatt T, Mundt C, Mummert C, Maksiuk T, Wolber R, Keyhani R, Schreiner V, Hoppe U, Schachtschabel DO, Stäb F.
    Paul Gerson Unna Forschungszentrum Beiersdorf AG, Hamburg.

Oxidative stress (UV irradiation, free radicals) plays a significant role in aging. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and exogenously applied antioxidants can significantly reduce the formation of oxidative stress with increasing age. In our in vitro and in vivo experiments concerning the parameters of ultraweak photon emission (UPE), intracellular thiol status, mitochondrial membrane potential and cell vitality, we demonstrated a diminished resistance in keratinocytes of old donors against UV irradiation. This reduced epidermal resistance against oxidative stressors, i.e. UV irradiation, can be improved by topical application of CoQ10 and antioxidants like alpha-glucosylrutin (15). Furthermore, our in vivo investigations show that wrinkles around the region of the eyes ("crow feet") could be reduced by long-term application of CoQ10.

Carnosine, although its mechanism was doubted to be via its antioxidant properties, it showed UV protection and absorption through the stratum corneum. I really do wish there were more studies for us to draw information from. Carnosine is the least studied of all the actives in Juvess.

Immunology. 1993 Jan;78(1):99-104.Click here to read Links
    Carnosine (beta-alanylhistidine) protects from the suppression of contact hypersensitivity by ultraviolet B (280-320 nm) radiation or by cis urocanic acid.
    Reeve VE, Bosnic M, Rozinova E.

Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Sydney, Australia.

Carnosine is a naturally occurring histidine-containing dipeptide in mammalian tissues for which a physiological role has not been defined. It has antioxidant properties, but has also been shown to be related metabolically to histidine and histamine, and to have immunopotentiating properties in vivo. It is shown here that carnosine presented topically or in the diet, potentiated the contact hypersensitivity reaction in hairless mice. Carnosine also prevented the systemic suppression of this reaction following exposure of the dorsal skin to ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. Furthermore, carnosine prevented the systemic suppression caused by a topically applied lotion containing cis urocanic acid, indicating that it may act in competition with this UVB photoproduct which is believed to initiate many of the suppressive effects of UVB radiation.

PMID: 8436408 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Juvess_Support

#19 tintinet

• Topic Starter
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:28 AM

Got some- already, thanks to fast shipping.

Nice consistency. Goes on smoothly and easily "vanishes" into the skin. Rather strong, slightly chemical smell, but likely a good thing- no evil fragrance.

So far, so good.

#20 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:55 AM

just ordered some :D

may i ask why no vitamin c? i thought that had been shown to be a pretty effective promotor of collegen synthesis.

edit: oh i just realised the copper peptides. no vitc because of a possible pro-oxidant effect?

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:30 AM

yeah you should never mix GHK copper peptides with acidic compounds.

#22 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

would vitamin C be more effective if it was used instead of the copper peptides?

#23 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Got some- already, thanks to fast shipping.

Nice consistency. Goes on smoothly and easily "vanishes" into the skin. Rather strong, slightly chemical smell, but likely a good thing- no evil fragrance.

So far, so good.

I also sell a fragrance free version. Just email Sales@juvess.com after your order and specify that you want it fragrance free.

Juvess Support

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#24 tintinet

• Topic Starter
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

On second sniffing, it does have a lemony smell also.

#25 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

On second sniffing, it does have a lemony smell also.

The chemical smell is probably the coriander. The lemon/flower smell is bergamot. In the future we will lean more toward the bergamot scent than the coriander. We have been getting a lot of great feedback from everyone so we can keep making the product better. One thing that we are looking to add is some vitamin E as well.

Juvess Support

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#26 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

any chance of an eye cream in the future?

#27 tintinet

• Topic Starter
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

The coriander isn't that bad, just strong. I guess I'd prefer the lemon to predominate, though, or just go unscented.

#28 juvess_support

• 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

would vitamin C be more effective if it was used instead of the copper peptides?

When we first formulated the cream we had to make a choice of one or the other. For our purposes the two had similar efficacy but copper peptides won out because they show results quicker. This company has a good roundup of studies on copper peptides, although far from complete: http://www.skinbiolo...generation.html

Yep. It will be a while before it is available but we are working on it.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:35 AM.

#29 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

Contrary to what the cosmetic industry want us to believe there is really no need for special eye creams, nor throat, hand or bust creams. Of course they want to sell 15 ml of an eye cream for the same price as the 50 ml jar. It´s great business for them and a total waste of money for you.

The eye area doesn´t differ from the rest of the facial skin other than that it´s thinner. This is automatically taken care of as you apply less of your cream to the eye area.

As long as you don´t put strong acids, too emollient creams (can cause milia, clogged pores) or heavily perfumed creams on your eye area you can, and should, use your face cream all over your face and neck. This is what I myself and many derms do.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:35 AM.

#30 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

i've placed an order for 4 jars.

is there any issue with applying the cream with a toner? for example I apply the toner to the skin and while the skin is still moist with the toner, i would then apply the cream. ive been doing this for years with other creams and certainly helps to spread the cream a LOT easier.

also, since reading Fredik's advice on applying sunscreans, i have now abandoned using mositurisers and have been using a Niveia 30+ that also contains a moisturiser - oh well. been getting great results however, what i want to do now is apply both the sunscrean and the juvess skin cream while the skin is still moist with the toner.

any issues with the above in terms reactions to the products.

the link to the sunscreen that I'm using is here

and the link to the toner that I'm using is here

thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users