Photo
- - - - -

Formulate a skin cream/lotion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:03 AM

As the topic implies, what would you put in a skin cream. Even though I take an array of anti-oxs I've found that when used topically they perhaps obviously have more impact on the skin. For instance I take 200mg of idebenone but it hasn't had much effect on my skin. But I saw it in some skin cream formulations and made a ~1% by weight addition to some nivea after shave lotion. Within a week I notice skin complexion improving, much less blotchiness. Also, one day I forget to wear any sunscreen. Despite being in the hot SoCal sun for a few hours there was no sunburn the next day. No redness either but I still got a moderate tan.

I also have some mild acne scarring and decided to use na-rala. Again, my illogical rationale is that since some commercial products use ala the na-rala must be better. I've noticed that the pitting is a bit reduced but not enough. I'm wondering what else should be added, perhaps spin traps? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or just post what you would formulate.

I'm also looking for a better carrier that isn't a thick lotion that will clog my pores so any suggestions are welcome.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

There plenty of places around that sell good base for what you want to do. I would recommend a few but I think it would be worth while letting you do a little reading about where to find the base creams and how to formulate a good anti-aging cream.

Try smartskincare.com and skinactives.com

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 spacetime

• Topic Starter
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:36 AM

Thanks, I've read a number of sites and have a few ideas on what I want. But I was looking for other's experiences on the matter.

#4 dehbleh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:19 AM

It never surprises me how many people underate Emu Oil as an inexpensive natural moisturiser. I would defintely recommend it as a base for your active ingredients.

Emu Oil is several things:
* top-notch moisturiser (even using it with nothing else works great)
* penetration agent for active ingredients
* anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral which means you won't need to add preservatives into your formulation. Long shelf life is really convenient.
* Inexpensive
* Potent and not much is required.

People often complain about it not absorbing into the skin, but you only need to use like a 1/3 of the amount that you normally would with other cream-based moistursers. Apply it directly after a shower whilst your face is still wet, this works best for me.

I mix mine with:
* 3 teaspoons of Beta Glucan powder
* 1 teaspoon of Matcha powder (finely grounded Sencha will do)
* 1 teaspoon of CO-Q10 powder

I buy these from www.bulkactives.com

#5 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

As the topic implies, what would you put in a skin cream. Even though I take an array of anti-oxs I've found that when used topically they perhaps obviously have more impact on the skin. For instance I take 200mg of idebenone but it hasn't had much effect on my skin. But I saw it in some skin cream formulations and made a ~1% by weight addition to some nivea after shave lotion. Within a week I notice skin complexion improving, much less blotchiness. Also, one day I forget to wear any sunscreen. Despite being in the hot SoCal sun for a few hours there was no sunburn the next day. No redness either but I still got a moderate tan.

I also have some mild acne scarring and decided to use na-rala. Again, my illogical rationale is that since some commercial products use ala the na-rala must be better. I've noticed that the pitting is a bit reduced but not enough. I'm wondering what else should be added, perhaps spin traps? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or just post what you would formulate.

I'm also looking for a better carrier that isn't a thick lotion that will clog my pores so any suggestions are welcome.

If you want to put Idebenone in your creme than you should know that
1) Idebenone is a lypophilic active ingr. Meaning it has to be formulated in oils. (Silicone would be prefered.)
2) It is an extremely fragile molecule so storage is of crutial importance: either airtight container or formulate just a very little at a time and keep it in the fridge.

What most people dont know is that the vehicle of actives is just as important as the active ingredient itself!
The base of a cream has to be formulated so it is in compliance with the active ingredient.

In the case of Idebenone you should formulate the base of CYCLOPENTASILOXANE (or Dimethicone/Cyclomethicone) it is a very good carrier of Idebenone and light enough on your skin not to be oily.
Propylene Glycol can be added to carry the active Idebenone deeper in the skin layers.
You should formulate it at PH 5,5-6. Use PH ajustres.
Your active should be blanded in at the end in the cool-phase at 0,5-1% concentration.

Good luck!!! :~

PS: If you want an easier sollution, you can buy Estee Lauder Idealist 50 ml (Silicone based) and put 5.5ml Idebenone powder in it, mix well. Use the pump-dispenser and keep the cup on when not used. Keep it refridgerated. Use 1 pump AM/PM on cleansed, dry face.
Remember SUNSCREEN!!! :)

PS: Before you set out to make your own product, read this:

http://www.imminst.o...t=0#entry224081

Edited by Eva Victoria, 13 February 2008 - 07:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users