Photo
- - - - -

Neuro Programmer inquiry

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:07 AM

I'm wondering if anyone is/has used the Neuro Programmer software of Trasparent Corporation, it looks very interesting, and they have a forum as well that seems to provide sucess stories along with strategies for implementation of the program to its maximum effectiveness. I've used the Gamma session alongside the ADD sessions and have noticed sensations (Gamma sessions) within the brain (a great tingling sweeping through prefrontal cortex and going through the rest of the brain), placebo is possibility however. The trial version didn't give me enough time (15 days) to try it out for cogntive enhancement since i was fairly busy but for those interested:

http://www.transpare...om/products/np/

Trial Version:
http://www.download.....html?tag=lst-1

I'm intending of acquiring the full version soon and experimenting constantly with it alongside with the googles they sell.

Research:

This isn't directly for the software and googles themselvse but i imagine the science is the same behind both so...

Academic Performance Enhancement with Photic Stimulation and EDR Feedback
http://www.isnr.org/uploads/(3-3)2.pdf

I'll update more about it with additional research and my personal experience which will take place within the next month

Edited by mysticpsi, 14 December 2007 - 05:27 AM.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:21 AM

I just downloaded the neuro-programmer professional again. I had it a couple years ago and haven't used it since. My license is still good. I actually used to custom design my own sessions. If you buy it, which I believe you should, you will see some sessions which I created for cognitive enhancement uploaded in the member's area. I was going to start using it again through my Proteus unit, but I seemed to have lost my aux to aux cord used to connect the proteus to the computer. The reason for the proteus is to be able to used the led goggles which greatly enhance the experience and entrainment. That reminds me that I have to make a trip to RadioShack tomorrow to get that. When I used it, there weren't any gamma sessions. I am anxious to start them. I believe the one they have only goes up to 40hz, but in the member's area they have custom sessions going past 80hz. I made custom sessions with 14hz and 22hz only and 10hz and 18hz only. These protocols were utilized due to an attempt to replicate previous experiments which were successful for cognitive enhancement. They were pretty intense to say the least. Notable cognitive improvement was seen after a few days of use.

Edited by luv2increase, 14 December 2007 - 05:22 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:35 AM

I just downloaded the neuro-programmer professional again. I had it a couple years ago and haven't used it since. My license is still good. I actually used to custom design my own sessions. If you buy it, which I believe you should, you will see some sessions which I created for cognitive enhancement uploaded in the member's area. I was going to start using it again through my Proteus unit, but I seemed to have lost my aux to aux cord used to connect the proteus to the computer. The reason for the proteus is to be able to used the led goggles which greatly enhance the experience and entrainment. That reminds me that I have to make a trip to RadioShack tomorrow to get that. When I used it, there weren't any gamma sessions. I am anxious to start them. I believe the one they have only goes up to 40hz, but in the member's area they have custom sessions going past 80hz. I made custom sessions with 14hz and 22hz only and 10hz and 18hz only. These protocols were utilized due to an attempt to replicate previous experiments which were successful for cognitive enhancement. They were pretty intense to say the least. Notable cognitive improvement was seen after a few days of use.

Proteus unit? Think the Light & Sound Synergizer would be effective?

Yes the gamma wave themselves scare me, the sensation i experienced was quite intense and i stopped it within 2 minutes since i didn't know what to expect. But one research catches me in great desire to attain them...

Studies of Advanced Stages of Meditation in the Tibetan Buddhist and Vedic Traditions. I: A Comparison of General Changes
"One study of Tibetan Buddhist meditation has also found increases in EEG coherence (42) in the occurrence of synchronous EEG signals in the gamma range of frequencies (25–42 Hz) during the contemplative technique ‘Compassion’. Eight highly experienced Tibetan Buddhists were compared with 10 ‘interested’ controls with no previous experience of such techniques. In experienced subjects, the onset of coherent gamma activity coincided with the onset of technique practice, with the difference increasing sharply during meditation for most electrodes, and remaining higher post-meditation than premeditation. Also, for medial frontoparietal electrodes their ratio of gamma-band to slower (4–13 Hz) EEG activity was higher during the resting period before technique practice, a finding related to Newberg et al.’s (14) observations of similar areas of the brain under similar conditions." http://ecam.oxfordjo...reprint/3/4/513 (page 5)

Long-term meditators self-induce high-amplitude gamma synchrony during mental practice
http://www.pnas.org/...5722f4ad00e2b97

Edited by mysticpsi, 14 December 2007 - 06:16 AM.

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:30 AM

Yeah that is interesting stuff! Maybe a Navigator will move this thread to the appropriate Nootropics section since it deals with brain enhancement?

As long as it supports audiostrobe it should work. Basically the unit runs of the neuro-programmer software and audiostrobe makes it possible to have the led goggle flashing perfectly synced to the audible beats through the headphones. You could just run the screen flasher for now, but it isn't nearly as effective.

Edited by luv2increase, 14 December 2007 - 06:32 AM.

#5 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Yeah that is interesting stuff! Maybe a Navigator will move this thread to the appropriate Nootropics section since it deals with brain enhancement?

As long as it supports audiostrobe it should work. Basically the unit runs of the neuro-programmer software and audiostrobe makes it possible to have the led goggle flashing perfectly synced to the audible beats through the headphones. You could just run the screen flasher for now, but it isn't nearly as effective.

Ya I realized last minute that it was on the supplement forum rather than the nootropic section (i was really excited about the research underlying it and thought it would take great interest here), i was going to delete it and move it but shrugs lol.

I believe the Light & Sound Synergizer does have the audiostrobe feature, it's something the company themselves make:

"Supporting the official AudioStrobe standard, the AudioStrobe Decoder (now called the Light & Sound Synergizer) is a portable piece of hardware that plugs into any headphone or speaker port. The Neuro-Programmer 2 will then communicate with the goggles to synchronize the pulses of light with the audio. The resulting effect is nothing short of amazing. This can be particularly useful for cognitive enhancement, and photic stimulation by itself tends to increase blood flow in the brain

Both green and red LEDs are included in the goggles, and you can use them both to cover more of the light spectrum (great for visualization). The unit is extremely high quality and is designed for precision and effectiveness. An additional advantage of this unit is that it effectively filters out any static or frequencies that could interfere with audiostrobe signal, making it more accurate, and fully compatible even with older / cheaper computers and sound devices.

Additional software and an extraordinary set of AudioStrobe CDs are included in the package as a free bonus." http://www.transpare...p.com/products/

Edited by mysticpsi, 14 December 2007 - 09:01 AM.

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, any audiostrobe unit will do. When dealing with neuro-programmer only, they are all equal. When using their own specialized sessions without a computer, they are not created equal. Like the custom sessions on the Proteus unit, are very intense and can really make one hallucinate whilst entraining. I didn't realize any utility from it though since the proteus sessions are 'nothing short of crap' when one wants to use it for cognitive enhancement.

Edited by luv2increase, 14 December 2007 - 04:53 PM.

#7 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:37 AM

So i bought the software yesterday, and i'm testing it frequently today. I am really amazed at how well it works. I'm not using the flashing screen that goes along with it because i'm uncertain if there is lag being produced by my computer that will mess up the results (vista is a ram hog and i will need to add another gb of ram), so i'm going to wait out till i get the goggles for the visual component of it. I'm using it without any nootropics other than Gingko and Bacopa and the regular nutrients blend with high amounts of omega 3. Thanks for the help. I'll report on my findings using both the ADHD protocol and the Gamma... here is a description of the sessions:

[ADD/ADHD] Adult ADD/Learning/Hyperactivity Reduction
This session is meant to speed up the brain while keeping the left brain dominant (good for attention, concentration and reducing emotional response and hyperactivity) in order to help with ADD/ADHD. This session stimulates the left brain hemisphere with Beta frequencies and the right with SMR.

Speeding up the brain to reduce hyperactivity may seem illogical, but it is an incredibly effective technique. ADD is in a group of disorders labeled "slow-wave" because of the EEG differences between a normal brain and a brain suffering from ADD, which has an overabundance of slower brainwave patterns.

Gamma Session
This session modulates between the higher gamma frequencies. Gamma is not commonly used, but in practice it is has shown itself to be helpful with Fibromyalgia and also with people who seem unresponsive to other sessions.

Gamma has also been associated with higher states of mental processing, insight, and in some studies has been linked to out of body experiences and other anomalous states.

Edited by mysticpsi, 16 December 2007 - 12:40 AM.

#8 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:43 AM

Very interesting, mysticpsi.

From Wikipedia:
A gamma wave is a pattern of brain waves, associated with perception and consciousness. Gamma waves are produced when masses of neurons emit electrical signals at the rate of around 40 times a second (40 hertz or Hz), but can often be between 26 and upwards of 70 Hz. By one definition, gamma waves are manifest at 24 Hz and higher, though researchers have recognized that higher level cognitive activities occur when lower frequency gamma waves suddenly double into the 40 Hz range. Research has shown gamma waves are continuously present during low voltage fast neocortical activity (LVFA), which occurs during the process of awakening and during active rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Some researchers do not distinguish gamma waves as a distinct class but include them in beta brain waves.

Linked to higher reasoning faculties

Gamma waves are involved in higher mental activity. Transient periods of synchronized firing over the gamma waveband, of entire banks of neurons from different parts of the brain, have been proposed as a mechanism for bringing a distributed matrix of cognitive processes together to generate a coherent, concerted cognitive act, such as perception. For example, it has been suggested that gamma waves are associated with solving the binding problem. Recent studies have shown that recognition of new insights occur when patterns jump from 20 to 40 Hz.[citation needed]

Consciousness

Gamma waves have been studied in how visual cues elicit a neural synchronic reaction with both conscious and subliminal stimuli.[1] This research also sheds light on how neural synchony may explain stochastic resonance in the nervous system.[2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On theta waves.
Theta waves which can be induced by calm, ambient-type music.
From Wikipedia:
Theta rhythms are one of several characteristic electroencephalogram waveforms associated with various sleep and wakefulness states. When seen in this fashion, they are between 4 and 8 Hz, and involve many neurons firing synchronously, probably in the hippocampus and through the cortex. Theta rhythms are observed in awake children under the age of 13 years. Theta activity can be observed in adults during some sleep states, and in states of quiet focus, for example meditation (e.g. Aftanas & Golosheykin, 2005). These rhythms are associated with spacial navigation and some forms of memory and learning, especially in the temporal lobes.
Theta-frequency EEG activity is also manifested during some short term memory tasks (reviewed in Vertes 2005). Some suggest that they reflect the "on-line" state of the hippocampus; one of readiness to process incoming signals (G.Buzsáki, 2002).
Theta rhythms are very strong in rodent hippocampi and entorhinal cortex during learning and memory retrieval, and are believed to be vital to the induction of long-term potentiation, a potential cellular mechanism of learning and memory. A putative functional role of the theta rhythm has been put forth by Dr. Michael Hasselmo in a series of papers (Hasselmo et al. 2002, Hasselmo and Eichenbaum 2005). Based on evidence from electrophysiological studies showing that both synaptic plasticity and strength of inputs to hippocampal region CA1 vary systematically with ongoing theta oscillations (Hyman et al. 2003, Brankack et al. 1993, Pavlides et al. 1988), it has been suggested that the theta rhythm functions to separate periods of encoding of current sensory stimuli and retrieval of episodic memory cued by current stimuli so as to avoid interference that would occur if encoding and retrieval were simultaneous.
It is likely that human sources of theta rhythm are similar to those found in other mammals, and thus it is likely that cholinergic projections from the basal forebrain drive the theta rhythm seen in human EEG patterns. Similarly, humans show hippocampal theta rhythms that are probably mediated by inputs from the ascending brainstem synchronizing system via the medial septum (see [1]).

Edited by Rags847, 16 December 2007 - 05:59 AM.

#9 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:09 AM

A good summary is provided by wikipedia (which seems you already provided lol):

Now you posted a previous question which i'll answer because it was interesting nonetheless ;)

You asked if Gamma Waves were associated with calmness and creativity and insight like theta...

Now i'm not really certain if they're associated with calmness because I would never be able to measure it myself and the mere suggestion that i would get nervous might illicit that reaction and the information would be tainted, hence why i would need a larger group size (plus equipment lol) if i ever wanted to try to experiment with it (regardless it's difficult to mess around with Gamma because the signals could just be interference since some are outside the norm range of human brain capacity)... but I did site the research to my Cognitive Psychology teacher asking if it's a higher wave length why isn't it associated with anxiety like higher Beta Waves should be, and she said because the Buddhist Monks are more centered (she's very into the current Buddhism research that's being conducted, knows a couple scientists that had conversation regarding meditation and reality with the Dalai Lama, and is also conducting research on a couple interesting topics in Buddhism, it's really interesting stuff). Now if that simply means that they've reached a point in meditation that they can simply relax and reach higher frequency waves while cultivating inner stillness or that gamma waves are associated with stillness i have no idea, but yes they should be associated with creativity since more neural networks are being used in harmony thereby reaching new views/perspectives/realizations, etc.

Wikipedia didn't site the research article in the last sentence but I'll be looking for it online, if it doesn't exist i'll make mention... right now i need to get sleep for work tomorrow. For the time being if you're really interested, on a couple posts earlier there are articles I have found regarding Gamma Waves and Buddhist monks:

Long-term meditators self-induce high-amplitude gamma synchrony during mental practice

Enjoy

Edited by mysticpsi, 16 December 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#10 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

A good summary is provided by wikipedia (which seems you already provided lol):

Now you posted a previous question which i'll answer because it was interesting nonetheless ;)

You asked if Gamma Waves were associated with calmness and creativity and insight like theta...

Now i'm not really certain if they're associated with calmness because I would never be able to measure it myself and the mere suggestion that i would get nervous might illicit that reaction and the information would be tainted, hence why i would need a larger group size (plus equipment lol) if i ever wanted to try to experiment with it (regardless it's difficult to mess around with Gamma because the signals could just be interference since some are outside the norm range of human brain capacity)... but I did site the research to my Cognitive Psychology teacher asking if it's a higher wave length why isn't it associated with anxiety like higher Beta Waves should be, and she said because the Buddhist Monks are more centered (she's very into the current Buddhism research that's being conducted, knows a couple scientists that had conversation regarding meditation and reality with the Dalai Lama, and is also conducting research on a couple interesting topics in Buddhism, it's really interesting stuff). Now if that simply means that they've reached a point in meditation that they can simply relax and reach higher frequency waves while cultivating inner stillness or that gamma waves are associated with stillness i have no idea, but yes they should be associated with creativity since more neural networks are being used in harmony thereby reaching new views/perspectives/realizations, etc.

Wikipedia didn't site the research article in the last sentence but I'll be looking for it online, if it doesn't exist i'll make mention... right now i need to get sleep for work tomorrow. For the time being if you're really interested, on a couple posts earlier there are articles I have found regarding Gamma Waves and Buddhist monks:

Enjoy

I think you should understand that when you are entraining with gamma or whatever that other areas of your brain are not in that same range. This is, of course, if I understand it all correctly. You would need a lot of equipment, a good experiment exhibiting excellent validity, and a good chunk of money.

#11 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:42 AM

I think you should understand that when you are entraining with gamma or whatever that other areas of your brain are not in that same range. This is, of course, if I understand it all correctly. You would need a lot of equipment, a good experiment exhibiting excellent validity, and a good chunk of money.

Oh yes i'm aware, wouldn't go into all of this stuff if i wasn't somewhat familiar with the topic. I'm intending on one day getting the equipment to begin doing the training on myself as my ability to comprehend the mechanics of neurofeedback increase and being able to read the charts quickly to understand what i should be doing... i might just get the books on practicing neurofeedback to be on the safe side. Personally i think it would be wise to just wait till i can get certified so at least i know what i'm doing, of course this is based on how complex it is (i have heard of self training using neurofeedback so i see why not), if it isn't straightforward I'd prefer to be doing under someone who knows until i gain the knowledge to do it myself. If you think about the money invested, the amount of money placed within possible regiment outweigh the costs of permanent training, after that i can worry about longevity rather than brain fog.

As far as the Gamma waves, i'd imagine that a lot of the regions of the brain don't have the capacity to go at that level due to the neurophysiology of certain parts of the brain (be it receptor site or whatever the cause), some are predominately of a certain wave length and gamma is inaccessible... in fact i have no idea how the entrainment works at all, i'm aware of neuroplasticity, but i'm still unaware of how entrainment works on a neurological manner (is it just similiar to the theories behind Neurofeedback?)... all i know is the research behind the entrainment and am hoping to replicate it as much as possible.

Edited by mysticpsi, 16 December 2007 - 07:19 AM.

#12 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Mysticpsi, is your neuroprogramming software anything like this free sample here (this one is a relaxation-inducing)?
http://pantheon.yale...let_signed.html
I'm gonna have to find out more about this.
Increase my brain speed through neuroprogramming and Piracetam/Choline source and result in increased focus and concentration while reading.

#13 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

Mysticpsi, is your neuroprogramming software anything like this free sample here (this one is a relaxation-inducing)?
http://pantheon.yale...let_signed.html
I'm gonna have to find out more about this.
Increase my brain speed through neuroprogramming and Piracetam/Choline source and result in increased focus and concentration while reading.

No according to the product's guide (it even shows the picture of the two for comparison)... it's different, the Neuro Programmer 2 is more advanced using a different type of audio signals. The one you linked to uses Binaural Beat:

"Binaural beats are different from Monaural beats in that they are produced in the brain as opposed to in the ear or otherwise... Unfortunately Binaural Beats suffer from the limitation inherent in the brain's "sound mixing" mechanisms. The volume depth of the resulting "beat" is about 3 decibels, or 1/10th the volume of a whisper, so they don't produce a very strong neural response... And since a single binaural beat requires the use of both ears, you cannot target each hemisphere individually, making dissociation and more complex sessions like the depression reduction session impossible."

Also I'd be weary of anything modifying the brain over the internet... my advice... try Neuroprogramming first, as piracetam/choline takes a while to figure out your exact ratio, see if you like the programming after a couple weeks (not sure how long it takes to see results), and if you want anything more after that try out piracetam. The reason i say this is depending on how you're buying piracetam (bulk or capsules) and which choline source you're using (choline bitarate - Lecithin - Alpha-GPC), you'll end up spending the same amount (in a month or three) as if you just buy the software. I personally, and many others will say the same, found that Piracetam decreased focus, it will enhance memory and a variety of other things (anti viral too i think) but focus is an iffy (Piracetam reviews) and really depends on too many factors to use it for just that cause. What exactly are you looking to enhance btw? Focus, mental processing, creativity?

Edited by mysticpsi, 16 December 2007 - 09:22 AM.

#14 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

Ok... well the results are turning out to be really interesting... mental processing speed has increased as has memory but i'm not certain what's associated directly with the effects of the software and what's the brain alterations associated with the piracetam & hydergine combination. For this cause i will leave this current as the baseline and update once a week as to progress (as this seems to be the only empirical method i can determine)... in this progress report shall be a couple things for those interested (scales given in bottom of comment):

Concrete data
- Alpha/Theta ratio improvement, synchronicity of left and right hemisphere of the brain, and the amount of improvement using my doctor's own scale given through his Neurofeedback equipment.

Now i have a current problem that's being resolved with my neurofeedback doctor that will delay my going there but i hope it won't be long, so i'm not certain when i can attain the concrete information, this will really limit the research for the time being

Other less concrete data
- Amount of information i can store and remember (ranging from books to whatever i can think up of from long term memory and short term)
- Working memory improvements
- Focus level (how intense my focus appears to be during meditation or whatever the task)

I am also currently doing mathematics in my head every time i go to work going to get up to calculus (right now only solving for x) and hopefully keep going, i'm not sure if that will impair the data since it's more training.

The scale will be something to the order of each week the amount of improvement will be either 0 for nothing to 5 for a significant improvement.
In the end of a soon to be determined length (perhaps a month), i will add everything and it'll be cool ;)

Current Regiment:
Only a multivitamin, omega 3, and perhaps occasional New Chapter's Mental Clarity including Lion's Mane to increase NGF.

Also the googles i already bough but won't be arriving in the mail for a week or so, so the data will be based on primarily audio entrainment without visual (I shall report in my data when i get the googles).

Any suggestions as far as more data or anything else?

Edited by mysticpsi, 18 December 2007 - 02:30 AM.

#15 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

What sessions are you using? Also, how many times a day and at what time a day are you doing certain sessions if more than one is being used? Thanks!

Also, you are taking piracetam and hydergine right? You didn't list it within your 'Current Regiment', so I was a little confused.

#16 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

What sessions are you using? Also, how many times a day and at what time a day are you doing certain sessions if more than one is being used? Thanks!

Also, you are taking piracetam and hydergine right? You didn't list it within your 'Current Regiment', so I was a little confused.

No i stopped taking them, i personally love the combination of Piracetam and hydergine aside from a general feeling of superiority that shouldn't be there and the physical side effects, but i'm weary of hydergine now with all the flaws in chronic usage. I don't think Piracetam is that great without it, at least not anymore for me and it's not what i'm looking for in cognitive improvements (especially since according to the software you should be able to get similar and better results).

The session i am using is the [ADD/ADHD] Adult ADD/Learning/Hyperactivity Reduction,

and also the IQ/ Intelligence enhancer:

"This session speeds the brain up by stimulating the faster brainwave bands like SMR and Beta. The resulting effects will increase your focus, attention, emotional stability, memory and more. It may also help with Depression, Anxiety, Autism, ADD and a number of other problems."

I don't know how the Gamma Session works and it's not one of the programs that were recommended for me. I prefer to stick with the route most taken when manipulating the brain. So just those two ;)

I'm not sure the exact times i'm going to be doing it, since i work in a job with fluctuating hours... I hope to do it at least once a day, and on days when i'm off work around 3 times. My brain right now is experiencing constant fogginess and i'm thinking it's associated with my sleep wake cycle, so i'm going to be taking melatonin temporarily to stabilize everything and then i should start up once i feel back to my old mind capacity.

Edited by mysticpsi, 18 December 2007 - 02:49 AM.

#17 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

No i stopped taking them, i personally love the combination of Piracetam and hydergine aside from a general feeling of superiority that shouldn't be there and the physical side effects, but i'm weary of hydergine now with all the flaws in chronic usage. I don't think Piracetam is that great without it, at least not anymore for me and it's not what i'm looking for in cognitive improvements (especially since according to the software you should be able to get similar and better results).

The session i am using is the [ADD/ADHD] Adult ADD/Learning/Hyperactivity Reduction, I don't know how the Gamma Session works, it's not one of the programs that were recommended for me and i prefer to stick with the route most taken when manipulating the brain. So just the ADD one ;)

I'm not sure the exact times i'm going to be doing it, since i work in a job with fluctuating hours... I hope to do it at least once a day, and on days when i'm off work around 3 times. My brain right now is experiencing constant fogginess and i'm thinking it's associated with my sleep wake cycle, so i'm going to be taking melatonin temporarily to stabilize everything and then i should start up once i feel back to my old mind capacity.

Do you have AD/HD? If so, do you have hyperactivity or just primarily inattentive?

#18 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

Yes, the inattentive type

Edited by mysticpsi, 18 December 2007 - 02:53 AM.

#19 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

Also I'd be weary of anything modifying the brain over the internet... my advice... try Neuroprogramming first, as piracetam/choline takes a while to figure out your exact ratio, see if you like the programming after a couple weeks (not sure how long it takes to see results), and if you want anything more after that try out piracetam. The reason i say this is depending on how you're buying piracetam (bulk or capsules) and which choline source you're using (choline bitarate - Lecithin - Alpha-GPC), you'll end up spending the same amount (in a month or three) as if you just buy the software. I personally, and many others will say the same, found that Piracetam decreased focus, it will enhance memory and a variety of other things (anti viral too i think) but focus is an iffy (Piracetam reviews) and really depends on too many factors to use it for just that cause. What exactly are you looking to enhance btw? Focus, mental processing, creativity?

Mysticpsi, I downloaded the 15 day trail of Neuro Programmer 2 (thanks for pointing me to it) and am going to give it a go. Definitely felt the increase in blood flow to the brain after a session.
My 2 weeks or so using Piracetam and a choline source (Citicoline or GPC-Choline) has been great. 2.4g Piracetam and 250mg of choline source, twice daily.
My goal is to be able to read better. Focus, concentrate.
When reading isn't going well, the desire is there, it's just as if there is something between the page and I and I can't get to the words - effort towards the page fighting against a great resistance.
On the Piracetam it has been amazing. It is a thought-creation drug for me. I'm flooded with thinking, brain-forward and able to chew up the pages like I want to.
The other effects of Piracetam are nice, too (calmer, theta waves, creativity, etc).
Stimulants don't seem to work for me. Modafinil, Oxiracetam, etc. got me feeling awake and speedy, but not filled with thoughts and able to read.
So maybe I'm ADD, inattentive type, not sure.

Four research articles of interest:

[1] This one is on Piracetam and potentiation of already present neurotransmission and modulated ion flux:

1: Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1994 May;19(2):180-222.Links
Piracetam and other structurally related nootropics.
Gouliaev AH, Senning A.

Department of Chemistry, Aarhus University, Denmark.

Nearly three decades have now passed since the discovery of the piracetam-like nootropics, compounds which exhibit cognition-enhancing properties, but for which no commonly accepted mechanism of action has been established. This review covers clinical, pharmacokinetic, biochemical and behavioural results presented in the literature from 1965 through 1992 (407 references) of piracetam, oxiracetam, pramiracetam, etiracetam, nefiracetam, aniracetam and rolziracetam and their structural analogues. The piracetam-like nootropics are capable of achieving reversal of amnesia induced by, e.g., scopolamine, electroconvulsive shock and hypoxia. Protection against barbiturate intoxication is observed and some benefit in clinical studies with patients suffering from mild to moderate degrees of dementia has been demonstrated. No affinity for the alpha 1-, alpha 2-, beta-, muscarinic, 5-hydroxytryptamine-, dopamine, adenosine-A1-, mu-opiate, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) (except for nefiracetam (GABAA)), benzodiazepine and glutamate receptors has been found. The racetams possess a very low toxicity and lack serious side effects. Increased turnover of different neurotransmitters has been observed as well as other biochemical findings, e.g., inhibition of enzymes such as prolylendopeptidase. So far, no generally accepted mechanism of action has, however, emerged. We believe that the effect of the racetams is due to a potentiation of already present neurotransmission and that much evidence points in the direction of a modulated ion flux by, e.g., potentiated calcium influx through non-L-type voltage-dependent calcium channels, potentiated sodium influx through alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptor gated channels or voltage-dependent channels or decreases in potassium efflux. Effects on carrier mediated ion transport are also possible.

PMID: 8061686 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[2] This one is on Piracetam and increasing the efficacy but not the potency of AMPA:

1: J Neurochem. 1992 Apr;58(4):1199-204.Links
Nootropic drugs positively modulate alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid-sensitive glutamate receptors in neuronal cultures.
Copani A, Genazzani AA, Aleppo G, Casabona G, Canonico PL, Scapagnini U, Nicoletti F.

Institute of Pharmacology, University of Catania School of Medicine, Italy.

Micromolar concentrations of piracetam, aniracetam, and oxiracetam enhanced alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA)-stimulated 45Ca2+ influx in primary cultures of cerebellar granule cells. Nootropic drugs increased the efficacy but not the potency of AMPA and their action persisted in the presence of the voltage-sensitive calcium channel blocker nifedipine. Potentiation by oxiracetam was specific for AMPA receptor-mediated signal transduction, as the drug changed neither the stimulation of 45Ca2+ influx by kainate or N-methyl-D-aspartate nor the activation of inositol phospholipid hydrolysis elicited by quisqualate or (+-)-1-aminocyclopentane-trans-1,3-dicarboxylic acid. Piracetam, aniracetam, and oxiracetam increased the maximal density of the specific binding sites for [3H]AMPA in synaptic membranes from rat cerebral cortex. Taken collectively, these results support the view that nootropic drugs act as positive modulators of AMPA-sensitive glutamate receptors in neurons.

PMID: 1372342 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[3] This one is on Piracetam and endogenous steroids [a steroid-enhancer for the mind?]:

1: Brain Res. 1990 Jan 1;506(1):101-8.Click here to read Links
Involvement of a steroidal component in the mechanism of action of piracetam-like nootropics.
Mondadori C, Bhatnagar A, Borkowski J, Häusler A.

Pharmaceutical Research Department, CIBA-GEIGY Limited, Basle, Switzerland.

Since adrenalectomy abolishes the memory-enhancing effects of piracetam and its derivatives, oxiracetam, aniracetam and pramiracetam, the question arises whether endogenous steroids play a role in their mechanism of action. We show that inhibition of steroid biosynthesis by aminoglutethimide and blockade of the aldosterone receptors by epoxymexrenone completely suppress the memory-improving effects of the nootropics. These results indicate that steroids, or, more precisely, activities mediated by the aldosterone receptors, might be involved in the mechanism of action of this class of nootropics. Blockade of aldosterone receptors, however, does not block the effects of cholinomimetics on memory, indicating the involvement of another mechanism of action.

PMID: 2137359 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[4] On Piracetam and membrane (phospholipids) fluidity:

1: Acta Pol Pharm. 2005 Sep-Oct;62(5):405-9.Links
Piracetam--an old drug with novel properties?
Winnicka K, Tomasiak M, Bielawska A.

Department of Drug Technology, Medical University of Białystok, 1 Kilińskiego Str., 15-089 Białystok, Poland.

Piracetam (2-oxo-1-pyrrolidine-acetamide), the most common of the nootropic drugs, is a cyclic derivative of gamma-aminobutyric acid. The treatment with piracetam improves learning, memory, brain metabolism, and capacity. Piracetam has been shown to alter the physical properties of the plasma membrane by increasing its fluidity and by protecting the cell against hypoxia. It increases red cell deformability and normalizes aggregation of hyperactive platelets. Piracetam is an agent with antithrombotic, neuroprotective and rheological properties. The interaction of this molecule with the membrane phospholipids restores membrane fluidity and could explain the efficacy of piracetam in various disorders ranging from dementia and vertigo to myoclonus and stroke.

PMID: 16459490 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by Rags847, 18 December 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#20 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:19 AM

Mysticpsi, I downloaded the 15 day trail of Neuro Programmer 2 (thanks for pointing me to it) and am going to give it a go. Definitely felt the increase in blood flow to the brain after a session.
My 2 weeks or so using Piracetam and a choline source (Citicoline or GPC-Choline) has been great. 2.4g Piracetam and 250mg of choline source, twice daily.
My goal is to be able to read better. Focus, concentrate.
When reading isn't going well, the desire is there, it's just as if there is something between the page and I and I can't get to the words - effort towards the page fighting against a great resistance.
On the Piracetam it has been amazing. It is a thought-creation drug for me. I'm flooded with thinking, brain-forward and able to chew up the pages like I want to.
The other effects of Piracetam are nice, too (calmer, theta waves, creativity, etc).
Stimulants don't seem to work for me. Modafinil, Oxiracetam, etc. got me feeling awake and speedy, but not filled with thoughts and able to read.
So maybe I'm ADD, inattentive type, not sure.

It was the same for me in the beginning, now i'm trying to recover from it all, I hope it works for you and i'm sure the neuro programmer with it will be a great balancer for the focus part. Tell me how it goes cause it sounds like an interesting combo.

As far as my experiment i'm switching my protocol from Hyperactivity reduction to General ADD or Adult ADD or some type of Alpha Training, seeing which one i like more... and also Schumann Resonance (7.83 Hz):

"Schumann Resonance" refers to the frequency of the electromagnetic field of the earth. Whether by coincidence or not, it also happens to be a very powerful frequency to use with brainwave entrainment.

This frequency has been associated with high levels of hypnotizability, meditation, increased HGH levels and cerebral blood flow levels seem to be much higher while this frequency is being stimulated.

I have already noticed an increase in memory abilities, i can have simulatoneus information running in my head while at work, ranging from having conversations while memorizing different products (up to 8 (includes product and weight). Also got up to doing integral Calculus problem in working memory. Focus has increased substanially but have noticed a brain fog that is not going away... i've stopped everything and required 6 shots of espresso today to somewhat remove it... I can recall more information from long term memory. So in summary for this week (i will reduce values since i'm not sure whether it's all for the program alone

Session used: [ADD/ADHD] Adult ADD/Learning/Hyperactivity Reduction
Base levels:
Memory = 8 working memory values (4 products + 4 weights values) in conjuction with simulatenous conversation,
(solving for x completed, soon to try integration (format: ʅf(x)= ax^2+bx with limits min & max, and values for x,y; solve for integeral) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral
Focus = Overall Brain fog and feeling really out of it (never happened so bad, thoughts contain no speed, and i feel like i took DMAE) rating system based on coffee needed to remove (4 shots one dose, 6 daily for half a day), anyone have solutions i could try for this, i removed everything even gingko and nutrients

Neurofeedback values such as alpha/theta ratio and left right brain hemisphere synch won't happen for a month so i can't update with non subjective information... sorry

Edited by mysticpsi, 20 December 2007 - 09:25 PM.

#21 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:48 AM

I'm a big fan of The Awakened Mind System and other CDs by Dr. Jeffrey D. Thompson.

"Created by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson, The Awakened Mind System 2.0 uses breakthrough audio recording processes to help you access this brainwave pattern so that you can directly experience the enormous benefits of this heightened state of consciousness."

Dr. Thompson embeds inaudible pulses of sound that mirror the Awakened Mind Pattern into an ambient musical soundtrack. As you listen, your own brainwaves begin to reflect the Awakened Mind pattern, drawing you easily into states of deep insight, clarity of mind, creative inspiration and peak performance.

Listen as soft background music while working, painting, writing, or enjoying other creative activities. Daily use trains your brain to draw on your deepest capacities and abilities wherever and whenever you need them.

- Based on over 15 years of pioneering clinical research - Use with headphones or ordinary speakers - Contains no spoken words or subliminal messages

Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s pioneering work with thousands of patients has led to groundbreaking discoveries in how sound frequency patterns built into musical soundtracks induce brainwave entrainment. Fortune 500 companies, healthcare professionals, clinics, hospitals, meditation groups, and individuals worldwide use Dr. Thompson’s audio programs for deep relaxation, healing, inner exploration, and meditation.

I really thought this was probably B.S new age hokum at first but I bought one and I really liked it. I used to listen to a lot of different kinds of music but lately I feel almost addictively drawn to these CDs listening to them over and over again and never getting sick of them. I find they are slightly annoying for about the first minute I am listening to them but then I feel relaxed and start thinking all kinds of interesting thoughts. The background music that all the signals are mixed with is pretty mild adult contemporary type stuff. Some of the CDs are mixed with new age/ambient music.

Edited by abelard lindsay, 20 December 2007 - 05:49 AM.

#22 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

I'm a big fan of The Awakened Mind System and other CDs by Dr. Jeffrey D. Thompson.

"Created by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson, The Awakened Mind System 2.0 uses breakthrough audio recording processes to help you access this brainwave pattern so that you can directly experience the enormous benefits of this heightened state of consciousness."

Dr. Thompson embeds inaudible pulses of sound that mirror the Awakened Mind Pattern into an ambient musical soundtrack. As you listen, your own brainwaves begin to reflect the Awakened Mind pattern, drawing you easily into states of deep insight, clarity of mind, creative inspiration and peak performance.

Listen as soft background music while working, painting, writing, or enjoying other creative activities. Daily use trains your brain to draw on your deepest capacities and abilities wherever and whenever you need them.

- Based on over 15 years of pioneering clinical research - Use with headphones or ordinary speakers - Contains no spoken words or subliminal messages

Dr. Jeffrey Thompson’s pioneering work with thousands of patients has led to groundbreaking discoveries in how sound frequency patterns built into musical soundtracks induce brainwave entrainment. Fortune 500 companies, healthcare professionals, clinics, hospitals, meditation groups, and individuals worldwide use Dr. Thompson’s audio programs for deep relaxation, healing, inner exploration, and meditation.

I really thought this was probably B.S new age hokum at first but I bought one and I really liked it. I used to listen to a lot of different kinds of music but lately I feel almost addictively drawn to these CDs listening to them over and over again and never getting sick of them. I find they are slightly annoying for about the first minute I am listening to them but then I feel relaxed and start thinking all kinds of interesting thoughts. The background music that all the signals are mixed with is pretty mild adult contemporary type stuff. Some of the CDs are mixed with new age/ambient music.

Actually the Light & Sound Sync came with a couple sample CDs that have quite interesting effects... one of them made me start laughing and i'm uncertain if i was just in awe of the whole thing or what, but it was quite an out there experience, the visuals were an interesting aspect but i didn't find too much potential for growth...

I've never heard of the Awakened Mind System i'll have to look into it for an interesting read (i'm set on my machine, spent enough as is). What do you experience with the Awakened Mind System though?

To update my previous post:
I removed my brain fog... I tried out Theta entrainment and it seemed to remove it.

Now i'm wondering should i move this whole experiment to my blog and do it there? Would that be better, or does it not matter where it goes?

Edited by mysticpsi, 20 December 2007 - 07:37 AM.

#23 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

i have been using the neuroprogrammer software including the mind studio program since 2005. NP is terrific in that it helped me over come certain stumbling blocks in relation to sports performance (read my testimonial - Peter). i haven't looked back since. i also use the product extensively for study help and it helps me to focus almost lazer like on what I'm learning/researching etc.

The forum posters on Transparent's website post all sorts of esoteric mumbo jumbo crap but Adam, the owner of the company, develops his software according to the latest scientific research and pointedly ignores the said posters! So yes, based on solid science.

#24 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:53 AM

perhaps we should do a seperate neuro-programmer thread were members can post their experiences with the software. I will be purchasing it very soon and must say I'm looking forward to try it.

#25 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

i have been using the neuroprogrammer software including the mind studio program since 2005. NP is terrific in that it helped me over come certain stumbling blocks in relation to sports performance (read my testimonial - Peter). i haven't looked back since. i also use the product extensively for study help and it helps me to focus almost lazer like on what I'm learning/researching etc.

The forum posters on Transparent's website post all sorts of esoteric mumbo jumbo crap but Adam, the owner of the company, develops his software according to the latest scientific research and pointedly ignores the said posters! So yes, based on solid science.

Yes I've messaged him a couple times and he seems very scientific in his replies and mentality, the brain isn't something to be played around with and i wonder what effects some of those sessions that are posted on the forums have on it. I'll have to look into the Athletic performance session because i'm going to be practicing Qi Gong pretty soon and one day martial arts training and that session seems quite interesting as to what effects it will produce.

perhaps we should do a seperate neuro-programmer thread were members can post their experiences with the software. I will be purchasing it very soon and must say I'm looking forward to try it.

Indeed that's an excellent idea, at first describing the basics of EEGs and then getting more into people's experience with the software :). Though, the members forum on the compay's webpage also has success stories, and i'm not sure how popular the program is on this forum. Enjoy it though

#26 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have found a couple interesting studies done to induce different mind states using photonic stimulation and i felt i should share

Highly informative:
The Clinical Guide to Sound and Light
http://sica.stanford...undandlight.pdf

Research on light and sound
http://www.luciddrea.....and sound.doc

Intellectual, Auditory and Photic Stimulation And Changes in Functioning In Children and Adults (Harold L. Russell., PhD)
http://www.neuromedi.....ack Paper.pdf

Edited by mysticpsi, 26 December 2007 - 05:18 AM.

#27 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

This thread died a bit, but i'm still finding the software to be very beneficial in the process of mind manipulations. Clarity of mind seems to be aided with low wave brain entrainment, primarily in the theta and alpha range. While external stimuli attentiveness seem to be associated with higher brain waves; SMR & Beta. An anomaly exists at the gamma brain wave, but i wonder given the frequency that is produced if the brain is really mimicking it or if it "cuts" it into a smaller frequency.

I have also found an interesting website, which the more skeptical of you may critic openly but have found the information quite interesting. It's mainly an anecdote from a blogger who seems to really be intent on playing with Neuro Programmer.

http://4mind4life.co...lpha-brainwave/

I critiqued this software on another thread, and should retract my criticism. The use of this software requires an objective mind, and often times one finds the flow of the mind is altered by the use of it. Using it can be too subjective, but for those disciplined, or for those observer types, it is quite a treat.

#28 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Research in regards to Delta Binaural training (using CD)

http://www.lieberton...9/acm.2006.6196

Intervention: Participants listened to a CD with delta (0–4 Hz) binaural beat frequencies daily for 60 days.

Outcome Measures: Psychologic and physiological data were collected before and after a 60-day intervention. Psychologic: Depression (Beck Depression Inventory-2), anxiety (State-Trait Anxiety Inventory), mood (Profile of Mood States), absorption (Tellegen Absorption Scale) and quality of Life (World Health Organization-Quality of Life Inventory). Physiological: Cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone, melatonin, insulin-like growth factor-1, serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, norepinephrine, weight, blood pressure, high sensitivity C-reactive protein.

Results: There was a decrease in trait anxiety (p = 0.004), an increase in quality of life (p = 0.03), and a decrease in insulin-like growth factor-1 (p = 0.01) and dopamine (p = 0.02) observed between pre- and postintervention measurements.

#29 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

http://www.sacredres...urtisthesis.pdf

The evidence supporting the affect of binaural beats on brain waves within the context of therapeutic
applications was discovered when Lane, Kasian, Owens & Mars used an approach in their study
‘Binaural Auditory Beats Affect Vigilance Performance and Mood’. They found that the binaural beats
in the beta range during a 30-minute vigilance task resulted in smaller increases in task-related
confusion and fatigue compared to theta/delta beats (Lane, Kasian, Owens & Mars 1998 : 249-252)
The main premise for this according to McMurray in her research paper ‘Auditory Binaural Beats
Enhance EEG-Measured Beta Wave’ is ‘that research suggests that auditory binaural beats within
specific electroencephalograph frequency ranges can enhance corresponding brain-wave activity and
may affect levels of cognition’ (McMurray 2004). Lane, Kasian, Owens and Mars explain that it is
plausible that binaural beat frequencies entrained the EEG patterns into ‘beta’ state which resulted in
an increase of the spectral power in this range. In the paper ‘Hemispheric-Synchronisation During
Anaesthesia’, they show similar results (Kliempt et al. 1999b : 770). This study assumes that
brainwaves will be affected as a result of listening to binaural beats frequencies, and once again even
though this was not measured directly, the fact that the patient required less antiociplne for general
anaesthesia, suggests brain waves would have to be affected in order for this to occur. Research has
been carried out to discover whether certain medical conditions may reflect certain states of brain
waves, McMurray explores this with Attention Disorder Hyper Disorder (ADHD). Her findings indicate
that ADHD subjects may be deficient in delta and theta ranges and that ‘below-normal beta frequency
brain waves interfere with maintaining attention’. A 1997 study out of Northern Arizona University,
‘Binaural-Beat Induced Theta EEG Activity and Hypnotic Susceptibility,’ (Brady 1997) reported that
five out of six participants showed an elevated presence of theta waves in their EEG and according to
the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, demonstrated a higher degree of hypnotizability postsession
in the medium and low hypnotizability groups (2 people in each group).

Edited by mysticpsi, 20 April 2009 - 09:35 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

I would also like to make notice that I'm experimenting with a protocol designed by a fellow community member of the Transparent Corp forum.

The session is called "Focused and Awakened mind" and has the following description:

This high frequency training session trains the left brain in Gamma at 40hz, the right brain in 10hz Alpha and as a AudioStrobe track at Beta 20hz.
The frequencies used are from the Awakened Mind work by Cade/Wise, but with asymmetry is used with the intent to keep the left brain dominant, which is good for focus and concentration among other things.

To give credit where credit is due, the creator of the session is called mbombardi.

I've noticed huge increases in focus. The first time i used it, i used it for about 14 minutes, and was overwhelmed with the amount of awareness. I was thinking of computer science and representing information using graphs as if these objects are entities, and the thought carried so much weight on my consciousness. I also play around with 39.5 Hz primarily through the right ear to focus on the left hemisphere during class.

The research that was talked about was the research by Anna Wise.

Any thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users