- - - - -

Palmitoyl Pentapeptide -3 vs Tretinoid

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts
  • 23 â‚®

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried any creams containing Palmitoyl Pentapeptide -3
like number 7 protect and perfect anti-wrinkle serum or Olay regenerative.

I got interested in it after watching Prof.Regans.Beauty.Parlour:

http://www.torrentz....4a72f1a6feb9c0c

I'm wondering if you could get improved skin using a product like that without the side effects of a retinoid. The documentary seems to say you can so I'd like to hear what about people here think about that.

#2 tintinet

• 1,972 posts
  • 503 â‚®

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried any creams containing Palmitoyl Pentapeptide -3

I'm wondering if you could get improved skin using a product like that without the side effects of a retinoid. The documentary seems to say you can so I'd like to hear what about people here think about that.

Possibly as effective as retinoids, but much less well tested and established, at least AFAICT via pubmed

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts
  • 23 â‚®

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

I would also like to see the sort of testing presented in that documentary tried on this product:

http://www.elicina.com/ing-index.php

Edited by caston, 27 December 2007 - 02:04 PM.

#4 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts
  • 22 â‚®

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

I have seen Dr Regan's beauty parlour. Good doc!

First of all, I'd like to get one thing strait here: the cream from Nr7 (owned by Alliance/Boots) contain Retinol (Vit A derivate) and Oligopeptide 3. Retinol is said to have the sane effect as Tretinoin (another Vit. A derivate).
IT DOES NOT.
It is like saying that graffite and diamond are the same because they are both carbon molecules.
(Deeper on Tretinoin see articl.:
http://www.imminst.o...n-A-t20360.html

Second:
OlygoPeptide3 works in the epidermis and claims to regenerate the surface of the skin.

The difference between Tretinoin and OlygoPeptide3 is that Tretinoin will repair DNA damage and increase cell-turnover, works in the Epidermis and DERMIS while OlygoPeptide3 works only in the Epidermis.

#5 Time Traveller

• 10 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

I've been using Boots No7 Protect & Pefect (and its sister product, 'Refine & Rewind') for about eleven months now.

It contains retinyl palmitate, by the way, not retinol. From what I've heard, retinyl palmitate has a much longer shelf life than retinol, but both compounds rely on the dermal cells producing their own retinoic acid to have any effect. I thought I knew more than most about topical anti-aging products, but you guys have made me realise that I'm a mere beginner, so I expect someone will be along soon to correct me. ;)

I believe Protect & Perfect is sold in the USA as 'Restore & Renew' (don't you just love those catchy alliterative names that the guys at Boots come up with?)

Anyway, the Protect & Perfect certainly had a smoothing effect on my skin, but on a larger scale, it did nothing to reduce the lines that are beginning to develop around my eyes.

So, I've decided to stop pussying around and started using tretinoin 0.05% cream in the evening and a moisturiser with SPF 15 in the morning.
I've been on this regime for about five days now, and haven't reacted too badly to the tretinoin - just a little dry and a very slight soreness.

My skin looks worse than it did under the No7 regime, but I expected this. I understand that tretinoin takes months to work its magic.

#6 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts
  • 22 â‚®

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

I've been using Boots No7 Protect & Pefect (and its sister product, 'Refine & Rewind') for about eleven months now.

It contains retinyl palmitate, by the way, not retinol. From what I've heard, retinyl palmitate has a much longer shelf life than retinol, but both compounds rely on the dermal cells producing their own retinoic acid to have any effect. I thought I knew more than most about topical anti-aging products, but you guys have made me realise that I'm a mere beginner, so I expect someone will be along soon to correct me. ;)

In Norway it has Retinol on the ingredients list.

I believe Protect & Perfect is sold in the USA as 'Restore & Renew' (don't you just love those catchy alliterative names that the guys at Boots come up with?)

Very creative indeed :p

Anyway, the Protect & Perfect certainly had a smoothing effect on my skin, but on a larger scale, it did nothing to reduce the lines that are beginning to develop around my eyes.

So, I've decided to stop pussying around and started using tretinoin 0.05% cream in the evening and a moisturiser with SPF 15 in the morning.
I've been on this regime for about five days now, and haven't reacted too badly to the tretinoin - just a little dry and a very slight soreness.

My skin looks worse than it did under the No7 regime, but I expected this. I understand that tretinoin takes months to work its magic.

Depending on how damaged your skin is, it can take shorter time before you have a lot of sun-damage and much longer (even up to 3 years) if you have minimum of damage.

#7 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts
  • 23 â‚®

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

OlygoPeptide3 works in the epidermis and claims to regenerate the surface of the skin.

The difference between Tretinoin and OlygoPeptide3 is that Tretinoin will repair DNA damage and increase cell-turnover, works in the Epidermis and DERMIS while OlygoPeptide3 works only in the Epidermis.

Eva,

I thought that retinoids were based on vitamin A and modified DNA transcription I was not aware they upregulated DNA repair.

#8 Time Traveller

• 10 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

Eva Victoria - that's very interesting that the Norwegian version of P&P has retinol. The UK version definitely lists retinyl palmitate and, incidentally, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 (otherwise known as Matrixyl®). Thanks for the info. :~

Anyway, I dare say that there's not much difference between the two as far as effective skin rejuvenation goes. They're both pretty weak. :p

People say I look younger than my age, which is remarkable considering the kind of life I've led. I'm fair-skinned, and my skin burns very easily in the sun. I've really only started wearing sun protection cream for about a year, so I'm guessing I'll have quite a lot of underlying photo damage. I'm finding my tretinoin experiment quite exciting, although I won't be too disappointed if there's no improvement. :)

Unfortunately, I stopped smoking twelve days ago. I say 'unfortunately' because if there is any improvement in my skin, I won't know how much of it is due to the tretinoin, and how much of it is due to the fact that I'm no longer poisoning myself. ;)

#9 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts
  • 22 â‚®

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

Eva,

I thought that retinoids were based on vitamin A and modified DNA transcription I was not aware they upregulated DNA repair.

It is only ONE Retinoid that does this: Tretinoin (the active ingr. in Retin-A, Renova). And only this! Not Retinol or Retinyl Palmitate!
  • Ill informed x 1

#10 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts
  • 22 â‚®

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Eva Victoria - that's very interesting that the Norwegian version of P&P has retinol. The UK version definitely lists retinyl palmitate and, incidentally, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 (otherwise known as Matrixyl®). Thanks for the info. :~

Anyway, I dare say that there's not much difference between the two as far as effective skin rejuvenation goes. They're both pretty weak. :~

People say I look younger than my age, which is remarkable considering the kind of life I've led. I'm fair-skinned, and my skin burns very easily in the sun. I've really only started wearing sun protection cream for about a year, so I'm guessing I'll have quite a lot of underlying photo damage. I'm finding my tretinoin experiment quite exciting, although I won't be too disappointed if there's no improvement. :)

Unfortunately, I stopped smoking twelve days ago. I say 'unfortunately' because if there is any improvement in my skin, I won't know how much of it is due to the tretinoin, and how much of it is due to the fact that I'm no longer poisoning myself. :)

I think it is very good that you stopped smoking and started using sunscreen! It is never too late and your skin will have the opportunity to rest and have more energy to repair past damage as well! :)

Here is what I came accross today. It is about the Nr7 "miracle product":

Paula Begoun's Beauty Bulletin
http://www.cosmetics...0608-full.htm#1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users