Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#1 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

This is to collect and summarize anecdotal resveratrol reports. I'll try to modify this top post as people post their experience in this thread. Please make posts as brief as possible and follow the format below. Please look for your name in the list below and post to make a change. A change in dosage means a new entry. A relatively close variation in dosing should be averaged to one number. Please delete this list from your message when posting a reply.

People reporting: 29

Benefits:
improved energy/endurance: 13
improved mood: 10
decreased appetite/weight loss: 5
improved hair growth: 5 maybe's
decreased OsteoArthritis (OA): 3
decreased coffee: 2
decreased non-OA pains: 1
require less sleep: 1
increased sex drive: 1

Problems:
increased tendinitis: 6
increased non arthritis, non tendinitis pains: 2
increased obsessive: 2
increased RA arthritis: 1
increased aggression: 1
increased jittery: 2 at beginning (supposedly only on 50%)
laxative: 2 at beginning (supposedly only on 50%)

Please Post in this Format:
name, RESV in g/day, purity, summary of effects

alterego, 0.2,, no RA problems, better mood
alterego, 1.2, 99%, exacerbated rheumatoid arthritis, best mood
anthony_loera,2,99%,improved mood,attitude,well being, recovery, normal (revgenetics supplier)
bixbyte,1,,more hair and nail growth
drmz, 0.6,, knees and ankles
edward, 1,, tennis elbow (increased tennis playing)
edward, 2.3,, no tennis=no tenniselbow
enzyme, 0.6,, hamstring tendinitis
eternalone, 0.3,, improved energy, loss of desire for alcohol, appetite suppressant
fearfrost, 0.5,, quercetin definite energy boost
full_membr, 2,,"crawling out of my skin" with paxil for a day or two when upping the dose from 1 g/d. settled back to 1.5
health_nutty, 0.4,, improved mood and energy, definite appetite suppressant
kenj, 1.1, 99%, achilles tendinitis (run 30-40 mins)
makoss, 0.5,, jolt of energy, appetite suppressant
markymark, 0.225,25%, more energy
matt, ,, ankle tendinitis
maxwatt, 3,, well being and increased energy that returns to baseline after awhile, fewer colds, less arthritis
missminni, 1.75,98%,no more lower back pain from sitting, better knees, cured morton's nueroma, better mood, more agile
missminni_dad,,,improved OA
proteomist, 0.5, 50%, stimulant and laxative effects that subsided
quarter, 0.5, 50%, achilles tendinitis (high impact sprint training)
rhc124, 1.2, 50%, hip pain (worked wonders for my depression and anxiety)
scorpe, 0.8,, fewer colds, less knee pain, increased sex drive
shadowrun, 0.2,, in morning imrpoved energy and alertness, slight headache...will not take at night
stephe_b,2,,back pain, between shoulder blades
tayo,2,,nothing reported, weight lifter experimenting with 5g/d
tintinet, 5, 99%, tennis elbow, hair, "due to playing guitar obsessively" "persistent buoyant mood and general sense of robust physical and mental wellness", decreased appetite, less sleep needed
velopismo, 2.25,98%,increased endurance and power output (road cycling as measured by a powertap), general feeling of well being, aggression, reduced body weight set-point 4%, possible knee pain from applying DMSO/Resv to knee (but could have been by over stressing knee during a sprint).
velopismo_wife,1,98%,very apparent increased energy, weight loss
xanadu, 0.07, 50%, improved energy and mood
zawy, 0.9,, improved energy, hair, loss of desire for coffee, increased obsessive, less arthritis, possible male-pattern baldness improvement after 6 months at 0.2 g/d

Caveats: The laxative effect reported by a few may be due to the emodin in 50% formulations. Tendinitis and arthritis may result from an incresae in activity from an increase in mood/energy/aggression.

Edited by zawy, 15 January 2008 - 04:09 AM.

#2 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Nice summary. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

The one negative arthritis effect is for rheumatoid arthritis, not osteoarthritis. Resveratrol can negatively impact some autoimmune diseases, as activating Sirt1 exacerbates them. Distinguish between the two forms of arthritis.

Diarrhea is inevitable with large dose from 50% extract, due to the inevitable emodin content. However, even pure resveratrol can cause diahrrea b causing the intestinal caco cells to excrete chloride. This can be controlled by certain herbs, or by the use of butyrate which is available as calcium butyrate, or as a prescription medication. HMB may also contain enough butyrate o prevent said diahrrhea.

This is to collect and summarize anecdotal resveratrol reports. I'll try to modify this top post as people post their experience in this thread. Please make posts as brief as possible and follow the format below. Please look for your name in the list below and post to make a change. A change in dosage means a new entry. A relatively close variation in dosing should be averaged to one number.

Benefits:
improved energy: 11
improved mood: 7
decreased appetite: 3
decreased arthritis: 2

Problems:
increased other joint pains: 2
increased arthritis: 1
increased aggression:

tintinet, 5, 99%, tennis elbow, "Seems to be due to playing guitar obsessively" " persistent buoyant mood and general sense of robust physical and mental wellness"
maxwatt, 3,, well being and increased energy that returns to baseline after awhile, fewer colds, less arthritis
eternalone, 0.3,, improved energy, loss of desire for alcohol, appetite suppressant
zawy, 0.9,, improved energy, loss of desire for coffee, increased obsessive, less arthritis, possible male-pattern baldness improvement after 6 months at 0.2 g/d
shadowrun, 0.2,, in morning imrpoved energy and alertness, slight headache...will not take at night

Caveats: The laxative effect reported by a few may be due to the emodin in 50% formulations. Tendinitis and arthritis may result from an incresae in activity from an increase in mood/energy/aggression.

#4 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Just a minor addition: I also seem to have generally decreased appetite and appear to require (although I'd like the luxury of more) little sleep.

#5 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

This is to collect and summarize anecdotal resveratrol reports. I'll try to modify this top post as people post their experience in this thread. Please make posts as brief as possible and follow the format below. Please look for your name in the list below and post to make a change. A change in dosage means a new entry. A relatively close variation in dosing should be averaged to one number.

People reporting: 27

Benefits:
improved energy: 11
improved mood: 8
decreased appetite: 3
decreased arthritis: 2

Problems:
increased other joint pains: 2

tintinet, 5, 99%, tennis elbow, hair, "Seems to be due to playing guitar obsessively" " persistent buoyant mood and general sense of robust physical and mental wellness"
zawy, 0.9,, improved energy, hair, loss of desire for coffee, increased obsessive, less arthritis, possible male-pattern baldness improvement after 6 months at 0.2 g/d
full_membr, 2,,"crawling out of my skin" with paxil for a day or two when upping the dose from 1 g/d. settled back to 1.5
missminni, 1.5,,nothing reported
velopismo, 2,,increased aggression
anthony_loera,2,99%,improved mood,attitude,well being, recovery, normal (revgenetics supplier)

I am taking 1.5 to 2 grams a day combining orally and transdermally.
I take 98.7% pure white powder. When I take orally, I dissolve it in my mouth with milk.
I mentioned these benefits, but on a different thread.
They are:
no more lower back pain after sitting for extended periods of time. I used to not be able to sit for more than 30 minutes without
having a severe back ache and not being able to straighten up right away. Now, I have no problem after sitting for hours.
Mortons Nueroma 95% gone. I used to be able to only walk a few blocks before pain would become untenable.
Now, I can walk for miles before feeling any discomfort at all, if at all.
knees don't hurt when rising from squat. They used to creak and hurt when i would rise from a squatting position.
stretching is easier. body more agile, less stiffness all around.
feeling of well being.
when mixed with DMSO and rubbed on ache or stiff neck, it relieves it within minutes.
also add to that my Dad, 92 with osteo arthritis has gotten tremendous relief from Res...98.7% pure powder...his back and legs.
It has enabled him to go relatively pain free and increased the distance he can walk and his stretching ability.
~ETA~friend who is a dancer takes about 1 gram day (she is 100 lbs) and it has dramatically reduced her joint pains,
of which there were many, considering she had a back injury and surgery that gave her chronic pain for years.
She also experienced increased agility and stretching is easier too.

Edited by missminni, 15 January 2008 - 03:44 AM.

#6 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:39 AM

Velopismo/ 2-2.5g a day/ 98% / Increased endurance and power output (road cycling as measured by a powertap), general feeling of well being, aggression, reduced body weight set-point 4%.
The bad: possible knee pain from applying DMSO/Resv to knee (but could have been by over stressing knee during a sprint).

Velopismo's Wife/ 1g a day / 98% / Increased energy (very apparent, some people at her jobs are asking "what are you taking?") Increased energy lets her work two jobs (nursing) which increased our wealth. Weight loss. She has always been very sensitive to drugs. The bad: None reported.

#7 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

Unless I missed it, nobody reported lower blood glucose when taking RSV. This is very curious given that the best known clinical trial (the only one?) of RSV in humans is for the treatment of diabetes. The effect on blood glucose is much less dependent on placebo than other things that have been reported.
Guarente et al. studied Sirt1 KO mice and found that they produce less insulin. But, in PMID: 16366736 they state:"Levels of blood glucose were then determined and,
surprisingly, were lower in Sirt1 KO mice (Figure 2D).
Further, these mice appeared to be hypermetabolic, since
they ate more food per body weight than the wild-type
(unpublished data). These findings suggested that the KO
mice had a better ability to use the lower levels of insulin for
glucose uptake, i.e., were more insulin sensitive."
WOW! Lower or no Sirt1 leads to less insulin and lower blood glucose. Cannot get much better than that. If the opposite holds true, by up-regulating Sirt1 we are increasing both the insulin and blood glucose circulating in our system.
Further, "Sirt1 represses the uncoupling protein (UCP) gene UCP2". But "UCPs may confer benefit by damping production
of reactive oxygen species during respiration. In one
example, mitochondria from UCP3 KO mice generated
higher levels of superoxide [53,54], suggesting that some
degree of uncoupling can be beneficial by controlling reactive
oxygen species production [55]."
Somebody has to ask Guarente if he takes RSV.

#8 zawy

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

I would cut back if i thought resv was raising my blood suger. That's deadly.

#9 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

Resveratrol does not lower fasting glucose, but it increases insulin sensitivity. Other things lower blood glucose. That's why Sirtris is testing SRT501 in conjunction with metformin for diabetes.

#10 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

Resveratrol does not lower fasting glucose, but it increases insulin sensitivity. Other things lower blood glucose. That's why Sirtris is testing SRT501 in conjunction with metformin for diabetes.

Well. Guarente has a much different view: "These findings suggested that the (Sirt1) KO
glucose uptake, i.e., were more insulin sensitive."(PMID: 16366736). That paper is as clear as can be. I interpret this as meaning that down-regulating Sirt1 leads to less insulin production but lower blood glucose. That is, much better insulin sensitivity. The wild mice with more Sirt1 had much worse insulin sensitivity.
I take RSV so I'm worried by that paper, which by the way is free.

#11 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Well. Guarente has a much different view: "These findings suggested that the (Sirt1) KO
glucose uptake, i.e., were more insulin sensitive."(PMID: 16366736). That paper is as clear as can be. I interpret this as meaning that down-regulating Sirt1 leads to less insulin production but lower blood glucose. That is, much better insulin sensitivity. The wild mice with more Sirt1 had much worse insulin sensitivity.

'Then why is Guarante no working for Sirtris, and why are they testing SRT501 formulated resveratrol to improve insulin sensitivity? ;)

#12 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

'Then why is Guarante no working for Sirtris, and why are they testing SRT501 formulated resveratrol to improve insulin sensitivity? ;)

Very good questions. Another good question is how come none of the Imminst members taking RSV reported lowering of blood glucose. This is the first test for insulin sensitivity.
Before SIRTRIS there was ELIXIR. A company founded by Guarente, the teacher and former mentor of Sinclair. The main purpose of Elixir was to develop drugs to suppress or block Sirt1.
Then there were the experiments with yeast. Calory restriction prolong their happy life. It was speculated that Sir2 should be credited.
When some guys told Sinclair that RSV upregulated Sir2, they fed RSV to yeast and wrote a paper. These yeast lived longer and didn't complain about diabetes.
Metabolic Syndrome and diabetes are in the news like everyday. So they figured there was money to be made in that area.
But what do I know? It's hard for me to keep all that straight.

#13 zawy

• Topic Starter
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

When some guys told Sinclair that RSV upregulated Sir2, they fed RSV to yeast and wrote a paper.

Why is David Sinclair the last name out of 10 or so on the 4 papers to Nature and Science? Is he just doing the directing of post-docs and grad students? I see his lab was acknowledged for providing "discussions and manuscript preparation" for the 2003 article.

#14 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

Why is David Sinclair the last name out of 10 or so on the 4 papers to Nature and Science? Is he just doing the directing of post-docs and grad students? I see his lab was acknowledged for providing "discussions and manuscript preparation" for the 2003 article.

The PI generally puts his name last unless he is an egotist or has terrible students.

#15 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

This is to collect and summarize anecdotal resveratrol reports. I'll try to modify this top post as people post their experience in this thread. Please make posts as brief as possible and follow the format below. Please look for your name in the list below and post to make a change. A change in dosage means a new entry. A relatively close variation in dosing should be averaged to one number. Please delete this list from your message when posting a reply.

People reporting: 29

Benefits:
improved energy/endurance: 13
improved mood: 10
decreased appetite/weight loss: 5
decreased OsteoArthritis (OA): 3
decreased non-OA pains: 1
require less sleep: 1

Problems:
increased non arthritis, non tendinitis pains: 2

missminni, 1.75,98%,no more lower back pain from sitting, better knees, cured morton's nueroma, better mood, more agile
missminni_dad,,,improved OA
tintinet, 5, 99%, tennis elbow, hair, "due to playing guitar obsessively" "persistent buoyant mood and general sense of robust physical and mental wellness", decreased appetite, less sleep needed
velopismo, 2.25,98%,increased endurance and power output (road cycling as measured by a powertap), general feeling of well being, aggression, reduced body weight set-point 4%, possible knee pain from applying DMSO/Resv to knee (but could have been by over stressing knee during a sprint).
velopismo_wife,1,98%,very apparent increased energy, weight loss

Significant increase in energy. I used to cycle about 8-10hrs a week (approx 150-200miles), now in the winter I'm lucky if I get 4hrs. A group of us go out at lunch and do a small climb of about 1000 feet. A person in our group is sponsered and rides at the "elite" level and well this time I was able to lead the way on the flats and pull away on the climb. In effect i think by drafting you save around 15-20% of your energy? This time a didn't draft once on the flats and was to the top of the hill first. The sponserd person cycles a lot so they might be tired but then again they have been riding a lot more and I didnt' draft.

Can't wait to go out and ride again with this person! ;)

#16 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

Cold rain and snow have forced me indoors. I finally set up my Computrainer bicycle ergonometer. I did a virtual 10 mile time trial. My average wattage is almost 20% higher than anything I could do last year at this time, when I first started taking resveratrol. It's on a par with what my power output measured 10 or 12 years ago. I almost suspect something is wrong with the software, or with the load generator.

#17 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Significant increase in energy. I used to cycle about 8-10hrs a week (approx 150-200miles), now in the winter I'm lucky if I get 4hrs. A group of us go out at lunch and do a small climb of about 1000 feet. A person in our group is sponsered and rides at the "elite" level and well this time I was able to lead the way on the flats and pull away on the climb. In effect i think by drafting you save around 15-20% of your energy? This time a didn't draft once on the flats and was to the top of the hill first. The sponserd person cycles a lot so they might be tired but then again they have been riding a lot more and I didnt' draft.

Can't wait to go out and ride again with this person! ;)

What dosage are you taking and which brand of resveratrol?

#18 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

I've been getting soft stools regularly since starting biotivia Transmax 98% 500mg about 1.5 weeks ago. Seems like it is beginning to subside.

I take it dissolved in drinkable yogurt. I successfully dissoved seven caps in 7 oz of yogurt. Will probably try dmso soon. I have a neuroma I'd like to treat with it.

Mike

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

I've been getting soft stools regularly since starting biotivia Transmax 98% 500mg about 1.5 weeks ago. Seems like it is beginning to subside.
I take it dissolved in drinkable yogurt. I successfully dissoved seven caps in 7 oz of yogurt.

Biotivia Transmax is supposed to have some sort of miracle top secret process that improves bioavailability 200%. Does the bottle have a list of ingredients? Pure resveratrol (and 98% is close enough to qualify) has been known to cause GI issues in some people, though not many. The 50% extracts, on the other hand, contain a large amount of Emodin, which is just about guaranteed to give you diarrhea if you take very much of it. I'd be interested to know what the Transmax contains, aside from resveratrol. It's conceivable that the adjuvant compound, if any, is the problem here.

3.5 grams is a pretty hefty dose. Is this your first experience with resveratrol?

#20 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

I take it dissolved in drinkable yogurt. I successfully dissoved seven caps in 7 oz of yogurt.

Biotivia Transmax is supposed to have some sort of miracle top secret process that improves bioavailability 200%. Does the bottle have a list of ingredients? Pure resveratrol (and 98% is close enough to qualify) has been known to cause GI issues in some people, though not many. The 50% extracts, on the other hand, contain a large amount of Emodin, which is just about guaranteed to give you diarrhea if you take very much of it. I'd be interested to know what the Transmax contains, aside from resveratrol. It's conceivable that the adjuvant compound, if any, is the problem here.

3.5 grams is a pretty hefty dose. Is this your first experience with resveratrol?

I am taking 98% powder. I find that when I take a gram or more at one time, I
get the runs.
By taking smaller doses more often, that can be avoided, in my experience. I think taking
it with food might help avoid that problem too. I am going to try that today.
ETA~similar to drinking strong coffee first thing in the morning.

Edited by missminni, 25 January 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#21 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Biotivia Transmax is supposed to have some sort of miracle top secret process that improves bioavailability 200%.

That is dubious,

Maxwatt (or anyone here) have you received the 200 page document regarding their claims? They don't show the label on their website, state ingredients of their product anywhere for the customer to base their decisions on, or have an independent lab test the unproven claims. If anyone here knows what US state they are registered to do business in, let me know. It appears I can't get an answer to this from Phillip Akers yet, who runs their North American operations.

If anyone can help by posting the label ingredients, I am sure folks here would appreciate it as well.
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 25 January 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#22 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

Biotivia Transmax is supposed to have some sort of miracle top secret process that improves bioavailability 200%.

That is dubious,

Maxwatt (or anyone here) have you received the 200 page document regarding their claims? They don't show the label on their website, state ingredients of their product anywhere for the customer to base their decisions on, or have an independent lab test the unproven claims. If anyone here knows what US state they are registered to do business in, let me know. It appears I can't get an answer to this from Phillip Akers yet, who runs their North American operations.

If anyone can help us the label ingredients, I am sure folks here would appreciate it as well.
A

The document is a well-organized collection of abstracts. It gives no hint of the bioavailability enhancing process that I can see.

From a European supplement site:

Transmax. Purified Research-grade 500mg Trans-Transveratrol
Transmax contains only purified trans-resveratrol, no fillers, no cis-resveratrol, no emodin, and definitely no quercetin or other ingredients that have been shown to counteract the effects of the trans-resveratrol. Transmax is also a potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti cancer, and pro DNA repair compound. Resveratrol has been shown in major animal studies to protect the heart and arteries, retard aging, increase endurance by 100% and much more. See the studies in the Library section of our site and judge for yourself. There simply does not exist a more potent or higher quality Trans-resveratrol product. If it does not work for you let us and know and we will refund your price.

So there's no quercetin. And it sounds like nothing there's nothing else either, just resveratrol "nicht etwa nur generisches Resveratrol in Pulverform". Perhaps it is micronized? It is packed in a nitrogen atmosphere to preserve potency.

Edited by maxwatt, 25 January 2008 - 04:35 PM.

#23 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

I take it dissolved in drinkable yogurt. I successfully dissoved seven caps in 7 oz of yogurt. Will probably try dmso soon. I have a neuroma I'd like to treat with it.

Mike

Hi Mike,
First off have you weighed a Trans-Max pill that claims 500mg? vs another pill that claims 500mg. If there is large weight difference there might be an added compound. It might be hard to tell if you don't have the correct balance.

I could check it on the HPLC. If I weighed out a known amount It should be w/ in the range of all the other vendors’ absorbance. For example weigh out 15mg of vendors A,B,C,D,E, and I should get a range of absorbances. If I weigh out the same amount compared to the vendors of Trans-Max I should get a similar absorbance. If not this means that there might be an added compound. This would be because 15mg of trans-max is composed of 10mg resveratrol and 5mg of another compound. This would lead to lower absorbance. The label claim could still be correct but the pill would be heavier compared to other pills.

You could also do a test called dissolution or content uniformity to ensure Label strength or label claim. You simply dissolve a few pills (from the same vendor) in a sample solvent and then inject the filtered solvent in the HPLC. You can determine the label strength based on the HPLC absorbance if you assume 100% dissolved.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to send me a capsule and I will test it for you.

#24 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

Unless I missed it, nobody reported lower blood glucose when taking RSV.

I suspect that few people reading this are diabetic and in the habit of testing blood glucose. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and have been testing my fasting blood glucose for about six months now. My fasting blood glucose has changed from 104mg/dl to 85mg/dl over that period, but in addition to the carb restricted diet, I've also been taking resveratrol (1g powder per day) so I did a few experiments where I would stop taking the resveratrol for two days, then take 500mg for two days, the stop for two days, then take 1g for two days.

On the basis of these very coarse experiments, it looks like it resveratrol does in fact lower blood glucose, and the effect is short-term and dose dependant. 500mg the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by about ~6mg/dl. 1g the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by ~10mg/dl. The effect does not last through to the following morning (32 hours after dosing).

Edit: I would need to move the resveratrol dose to an earlier time in the day and continue my data gathering in order to get a better picture of the dose-response curve. However, just knowing that it does depress blood glucose overnight and into the next morning is probably sufficient for my own goals.

Edited by rabagley, 25 January 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#25 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

On the basis of these very coarse experiments, it looks like it resveratrol does in fact lower blood glucose, and the effect is short-term and dose dependant. 500mg the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by about ~6mg/dl. 1g the night before lowers my fasting blood glucose by ~10mg/dl. The effect does not last through to the following morning (32 hours after dosing). I would need to move the resveratrol dose to an earlier time in the day and continue my data gathering.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Which brand of resveratrol are you taking (50% or a higher purity product)?

#26 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

500mg/day not 3.5. I got the 7 caps into 7oz and drink 1 oz/day.

The bottle says: "Trans-Resveratrol isomer 500mg"; lower down on the label: "Other ingredients: Naturally occuring organic plant compounds from the polygonum cuspidatum plant. Product contains no fillers, silica or titanium dioxide." Elsewhere no animal products nitrogen filled bottle and contained in capsugel all vegetable Vcaps.

#27 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Hi Andrew,

I sent you a cap a week ago. You should have gotten it by now. It was in a small bottle with the brandname and amt written on the top of the bottle cap. It was sent in a padded manila envelope. If you need another just let me know.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,
First off have you weighed a Trans-Max pill that claims 500mg? vs another pill that claims 500mg. If there is large weight difference there might be an added compound. It might be hard to tell if you don't have the correct balance.

I could check it on the HPLC. If I weighed out a known amount It should be w/ in the range of all the other vendors' absorbance. For example weigh out 15mg of vendors A,B,C,D,E, and I should get a range of absorbances. If I weigh out the same amount compared to the vendors of Trans-Max I should get a similar absorbance. If not this means that there might be an added compound. This would be because 15mg of trans-max is composed of 10mg resveratrol and 5mg of another compound. This would lead to lower absorbance. The label claim could still be correct but the pill would be heavier compared to other pills.

You could also do a test called dissolution or content uniformity to ensure Label strength or label claim. You simply dissolve a few pills (from the same vendor) in a sample solvent and then inject the filtered solvent in the HPLC. You can determine the label strength based on the HPLC absorbance if you assume 100% dissolved.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to send me a capsule and I will test it for you.

#28 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

I wrote to their support line and asked about the particle size. The response was that it was a perceptive question but the information was proprietary. I specifically asked if it was micronized as well but the respondent didn't answer that question.

I sent a tab to Hedgehog_info so maybe he can report if the powder appears to be of a finer consistency than other 98% extracts. I can say it is extremely fine, at least as fine as sifted flour and probably considerably more so.

My guess is that it is micronized but that they aren't saying that because they don't want anybody else to know that their product is micronized to get better availability. If there were an adjuvant I would expect that they would have to put that on the label so I suspect that enhanced availability claim is based on physical properties, probably micronization, rather than additional adjuvant materials.

Mike

That is dubious,

If anyone can help by posting the label ingredients, I am sure folks here would appreciate it as well.
A

#29 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hedge,

sounds like maybe a sleeve test maybe in order?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hi Andrew,

I sent you a cap a week ago. You should have gotten it by now. It was in a small bottle with the brandname and amt written on the top of the bottle cap. It was sent in a padded manila envelope. If you need another just let me know.

Ok yes I got a sample in padded envelope. I haven't openend any samples up and will do so in a week or two. I need to wait until I can run all samples at once.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users