• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Aubrey de Grey on Colbert Report!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

oh, man cool--it should be on-line soon so we can put the link on! sweet--I was jumping up and down with excitement, and was this so quick that no advance word got out? awesome, its still on--I'm going to watch it ;)

Link to video:
http://www.comedycen...?videoId=156276

Edited by Live Forever, 11 February 2009 - 02:50 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:52 AM

oh, man cool--it should be on-line soon so we can put the link on! sweet--I was jumping up and down with excitement, and was this so quick that no advance word got out? awesome, its still on--I'm going to watch it ;)

Shoot, man. Some day I'm gonna break down and get cable like all the other kids.

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

ok, I've watched it three times now--great piece... it would have been a good time to say some figures to make Methuselah Foundation larger, after the '3-person' joke--also I would have loved him to mention that there are supporters from 8 year olds that have gone door to door, to billionaires... the piece make Methuselah Foundation small by just alluding to the world wide members....

I'll ask Aubrey how they got on, if 'Ending Aging' got on, Colbert might be interested in a cryonicist ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:01 AM

Ok, the show has not ended, and I'm still jazzed! Tying in the political angle, of how our political figures should support it (Mc Cain jokes were used) -- just brilliant :)

I also think when Colbert said 'God would be mad, because he is building mansions in heaven for us' Aubrey could have said that 'God wants us to do more good for him now' ;)

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:03 AM

Ok, I know the title is 'old news' already ;) but it conveys the excitement still, and I'm leaving it :) plus we'll get the video here soon. (Anyone that sees it first please add it)

I do wish Aubrey had gotten the longer author interview but 'The Lucifer Principle' guy from Stanford is--- I'm still hoping for some more 'Ending Aging' tie in jokes :)

#6 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:05 AM

You can still watch it-- it will be reaired at 12:30 Central time this evening and 7:30 Central tomorrow on Comedy Central. ;)

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:40 AM

I totally saw it! I had the sound muted, but I looked up and saw him on there and unmuted it really quick. Was a good (if short) back and forth between the two. I applaud Colbert for having him on there!

#8 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:46 AM

Actually Aubrey has been quite the celebrity of late. This article hit the AP web yesterday. I was going to post it as a stand alone but this is as good a location as any to introduce it.

Reaching 100 is easier than suspected

And he and SENS are featured in this month's Popular Mechanics (March 2008), in the the cover feature:
Will Science Add 50 Years to your life?

I don't think that one is on the web yet but I will look.

Yep here it is and BTW it is a cover story and a web teaser.

The End of Aging? Inside the New Hunt for a Cure to Growing Old

#9 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:03 AM

That Popular Mechanics piece is great--and the comments are fun since they are the usual objections we get. I'm sure that the comments will grow after the issue hits the stands. Thanks for adding the links.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:26 AM

I tried adding a supportive comment in the Popular Mechanics thread, hope it doesn't get deleted ;) I mentioned ImmInst, Lifeboat, plus my support of Mprize, being a cryonicist and such--trying all the while to keep the focus of course on how we can end aging, and countering a bit of what was said in the first few posts. My hope is that my comment gets approved and when the issue comes out, the comment field becomes very long and mine will get some views :).

#11 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

Thanks to extremist groups like *F**K Death* we are now centrist and thanks to Colbert and Popular Mechanics we are now getting mainstreamed. I think our time has come and now is a good time to build momentum.

#12 syoung333

• 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:33 AM

The Colbert Report 2008.02.11 (use a bittorent client)
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1166021

#13 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:42 AM

Indeed!

I just checked out the Methuselah Foundation forum, and they didn't have discussion of the Colbert piece yet:

http://www.methusela...?referrerid=299

I'm sure someone there will be putting the story up soon of how they got the interview ;) I signed up there, I noticed that some ImmInst Mprize people aren't around here as much anymore, since they are there--I figure it will be good to be a member there too so we can collaborate in the future. Perhaps 08 will be the year extreme life extension gets attention in the press!

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

Actually Aubrey has been quite the celebrity of late. This article hit the AP web yesterday. I was going to post it as a stand alone but this is as good a location as any to introduce it.

Reaching 100 is easier than suspected

And he and SENS are featured in this month's Popular Mechanics (March 2008), in the the cover feature:
Will Science Add 50 Years to your life?

I don't think that one is on the web yet but I will look.

Yep here it is and BTW it is a cover story and a web teaser.

The End of Aging? Inside the New Hunt for a Cure to Growing Old

Thanks for the link, Laz. I attempted to add my comment, and it says it will be displayed after approval.

Also, as a link from that page is a link to the podcast where the guy (Glenn Reynolds) takes a DIY clinical trial of new anti-aging drugs.

#15 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:11 AM

Just saw him on the re-air, awesome to see him on the Colbert Report. I remember people suggesting on here that Aubrey should go on the show, but others figured that would never happen...never say never ;).

Great way to expose the Methuselah Foundation.

#16 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

Just saw him on the re-air, awesome to see him on the Colbert Report. I remember people suggesting on here that Aubrey should go on the show, but others figured that would never happen...never say never ;).

Great way to expose the Methuselah Foundation.

I wonder if the book sales shoot up (at least temporarily) after his appearance?

#17 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

Attached File  DearGod.jpg   16.31KB   154 downloads

#18 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

Embedded the video in the first post and submitted the video to Digg here (for anyone that would like to digg it).

#19 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

That's was great! Aubrey handled the interview really well.

#20 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Nice. Good timing to be on with all the political hoopla. Perhaps by 2012 or 2016 longevity research will be a significant campaign issue.

#21 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

Colbert asks: "Who's in it besides you and your beard?" "Is there a 3rd member?" ;)

Edited by pycnogenol, 12 February 2008 - 04:25 PM.

#22 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

Nice. Good timing to be on with all the political hoopla. Perhaps by 2012 or 2016 longevity research will be a significant campaign issue.

if it's not, one of the goals of imminst and other like minded non profits should be to make it one ASAP.

#23 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:14 PM

I would have never imagined Aubrey on the Colbert Report ... wow!

This is certainly great publicity!!!

#24 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

if it's not, one of the goals of imminst and other like minded non profits should be to make it one ASAP.

I'm fairly convinced that scientists will collectively come to the same conclusion that majority of non-genetic disorders are all related to the aging process, a process that can be modified to obviate it's deleterious effects. Some of us have simply realized this sooner than the rest of the world and have a head-start. It'll sink in. We just need more Aubrey's shouting this from rooftops. Perhaps we all should grow our beards longer...

#25 Shannon Vyff

• Topic Starter
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

I 'dug' it-good to put the politics in the title, also I saw our comments up at Popular Mechanics--nice, sure they'll get buried--we might want to go add comments every few days, after the article hits the stands--in order to get the ImmInst website out to more people...the article has already gotten a lot of comments/readers...

#26 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

Man, I dont think I have seen someone get Colbert to laugh like that, nice!

#27 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

I 'dug' it-good to put the politics in the title

Yeah, I thought that might get more views/diggs. Everyone should digg it that hasn't had a chance to yet. It would be awesome if it hit the front page!

#28 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:49 PM

Man, I dont think I have seen someone get Colbert to laugh like that, nice!

"He could get his grandmother to help him cross the road"... :~ Aubrey has a great wit under pressure.. you only have to watch him answer the questions from the audience on his talk videos.. especially the TED conference ones..

I have a feeling that Colbert would have enjoyed an extended chat with both Aubrey and his beard.

It is at these moments when we are reaching the mainstream in a big way and being memorable by making them laugh rather than get angry that I am most proud of being a part of our enlightened community.

People do "get" it... we just need to learn how to "give" it

#29 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Yep. Aubrey did incredibly well. So many people get broken on the COlbert Show - they don't understand how the program works (ie: Colbert's extreme satirical positions) and take it too seriously and he destroys them and makes them look like fools (seen it many times on the show.) As a few people have commented though, Aubrey actually made COlbert laugh - that is as good a result as you can get on the Colbert Report.

Awesome work.

BTW, I stumbled the youtube page as well as dugg it. However I doubt the video will last long - Viacom aren't letting any comedy central videos stay up there for long last time I heard...

#30 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

BTW, I stumbled the youtube page as well as dugg it. However I doubt the video will last long - Viacom aren't letting any comedy central videos stay up there for long last time I heard...

Yeah, that's disappointingly. I'd never even heard of the Colbert Report, the Daily Show or Jon Stewart until I found them on Youtube.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users