Photo
- - - - -

Vitamin C an aphrodisiac?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 michaelscott

• 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:05 AM

High-dose ascorbic acid increases intercourse frequency and improves mood: a randomized controlled clinical trial

Brody S.

Center for and the Psychosomatic and Psychobiological Research, University of Trier, Germany.

BACKGROUND: Ascorbic acid (AA) modulates catecholaminergic activity, decreases stress reactivity, approach anxiety and prolactin release, improves vascular function, and increases oxytocin release. These processes are relevant to sexual behavior and mood.

METHODS: In this randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled 14 day trial of sustained-release AA (42 healthy young adults; 3000 mg/day Cetebe) and placebo (39 healthy young adults), subjects with partners recorded penile-vaginal intercourse (FSI), noncoital partner sex, and masturbation in daily diaries, and also completed the Beck Depression Inventory before and after the trial.

RESULTS: The AA group reported greater FSI (but, as hypothesized, not other sexual behavior) frequency, an effect most prominent in subjects not cohabiting with their sexual partner, and in women. The AA but not placebo group also experienced a decrease in Beck Depression scores.

CONCLUSIONS: AA appears to increase FSI, and the differential benefit to noncohabitants suggests that a central activation or disinhibition, rather than peripheral mechanism may be responsible.

#2 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Well, 14 days seem quite short. I would have appreciate some mid or long term study for the effects on sexual life.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

This study pops up on message boards every now and then, generates a little buzz and then fizzles out. I would really like to understand the mechanism of action behind these effects before I buy into it. I suspect most people agree or this old news would have become common knowledge and high dose C would be in everyone's regimen.

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

This study pops up on message boards every now and then, generates a little buzz and then fizzles out. I would really like to understand the mechanism of action behind these effects before I buy into it. I suspect most people agree or this old news would have become common knowledge and high dose C would be in everyone's regimen.

Don't you mean everyone's partner's regimen :~

#5 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, that too. :~

#6 sgreory

• 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hmm. I take C, but I don't notice this. Then again I started taking many other things at the same time.

#7 michaelscott

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

I didn't know vit. C decreased anxiety... I only take 2 g daily, maybe I'll bump it up.

#8 technico

• 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Recently bumped my C dose to 2-3g a day via the ester-C, non-ascorbic acid (calcium ascorbate) at 500mg/tab and it seems to have a positive overall effect so far - considering going for 4-5g a day spread out - unless someone here can cite a reason not to...

#9 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

lowers cortisol/histmaine.

#10 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Forty-two healthy young adults (mean age, 24.4 years) with a current sexual partner were randomly assigned to receive, in double-blind fashion, 3,000 mg/day of vitamin C or placebo for 2 weeks. Among women, the frequency of sexual intercourse during the study was significantly greater in the vitamin C group than in the placebo group (mean, 10.3 vs. 3.7 episodes per month; 178% increase; p = 0.03). Vitamin C had no significant effect in men (mean episodes per month: vitamin C, 5.9; placebo, 6.3). The increase in intercourse frequency occurred only among non-cohabitants, whereas in cohabitants, vitamin C supplementation was associated with a nonsignificant decrease in frequency. The vitamin C group also experienced a decrease (improvement) in Beck Depression scores, whereas no change was seen in the placebo group.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Recently bumped my C dose to 2-3g a day via the ester-C, non-ascorbic acid (calcium ascorbate) at 500mg/tab and it seems to have a positive overall effect so far - considering going for 4-5g a day spread out - unless someone here can cite a reason not to...

The only suggestion I have is to avoid taking it with iron containing food like spinach or tofu, since it increases iron absorption, which most people don't want.

Fruit juice + Mg ascorbate = yummy.

Stephen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users