Antioxidants

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hello

Many skin care products seem to be loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, E, Q10 and other stuff talking about "repairing" free radical damage and so on.However does it really have any pronounced effects on the skin and hair or is it just a lie?. People I've asked have said that it's just silly to think that it could be good and that antioxidants has to be taken orally to have any effect.
At first thought it sounds logical that it could go into your skin and hair and renew and do some kind of "miracle" improving the skin tone and so on just like when you conserve fruits or something but is it true or is it just a waste of money to buy all these heavily advertised products indirectly claiming to make your skin and hair glowing.

Looking forward to all opinions,I really think this is something relevant

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Many skin care products seem to be loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, E, Q10 and other stuff talking about "repairing" free radical damage and so on.However does it really have any pronounced effects on the skin and hair or is it just a lie?. People I've asked have said that it's just silly to think that it could be good and that antioxidants has to be taken orally to have any effect.
At first thought it sounds logical that it could go into your skin and hair and renew and do some kind of "miracle" improving the skin tone and so on just like when you conserve fruits or something but is it true or is it just a waste of money to buy all these heavily advertised products indirectly claiming to make your skin and hair glowing.

I don't see how an antioxidant could "repair" free radical damage. Antioxidants work by catching and stabilizing the free radical before it damages something. However, there are some antioxidant products, like C,E, ferulic acid mixtures that appear to really be repairing something, because some of these things have remarkable effects on skin. It might be that they are acting in a receptor-mediated fashion or in some way that goes beyond simple redox chemistry. At least empirically some of these things seem to work, but "antioxidant" is a big marketing buzzword these days. Just because something is called an antioxidant doesn't mean it will (or won't) work.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

For antioxidants could work -trap and neutralize free radicals- they have to be stable. Otherwise they themselves will become oxidants.
So RULE nr. 1: is that the antioxidant (complex) should be stable and renewable. There are no single antioxidants that can do do the job alone. So it has to be some kind of "coctail" of antioxidants.
Nr2: Never rely on advertisments from cosmetic companies when it comes to their products efficiacy.
Nr3: Don`t believe that antioxidants will last all day! (There are only a few hours that they can work effectively before the are "used up".)
Always use a Broadspectrum sunscreen (it neutralizes 55% of all free radicals before they can damage your skin).
Nr4: There are 2 strong, continously renewable antioxidants today on the market that can be accessed by anybody.
They are:
Ferulic Acid+Vit C+ Vit E (Skincuticals: C E Ferulic serum)
EUKARION-134 (Clinique: Continous Rescue Antioxidant Moisturizer).

see also:

http://www.imminst.o...ded-t20201.html

http://www.imminst.o...-2h-t20357.html

http://www.imminst.o...ned-t20380.html

http://www.imminst.o...134-t20382.html

http://www.imminst.o...d33-t20109.html

http://www.imminst.o...ant-t20194.html

http://www.imminst.o...ous-t20235.html

Hello

#4 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Some abstracts regarding topical antioxidants. I found 'em interesting, anyway.

#5 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hello

Every brand comes out with a new "breakthrough" at least once a year. Makes me wonder... If their first product was even half as fantastic as they claimed it to be, then would there even be a need to "develop" new ones?
They don´t have any new magic effects, but instead they serve as company promotional tools rather than a new way of treating skin.
If Loreal would quit releasing new (no better than the older) creams, then the market would percieve this decision as stagnation and choose the competitors new (equally useless) one instead. Cynical world isn´t it...
When reading their laughable clinical "studies", it often says something like: "25 of the women FELT that their wrinkles had decreased" or "small and fine lines diminished with 50 %". Ooooh... I can really feeeel my wrinkles depth decreasing mr. loreal...
How come ALL anti-wrinkle creams report this 50 % "success rate"? Anyone ever heard of the famous moisturizing effect?
It is all a load of crap I tell you, but a nice thing to use for the short term cosmetic improvement. Just don´t expect it to be anywhere near the fountain of youth. I know you hope. We all do here :|o

Eat those greens, drink cocoa and stay far away from cigarettes. That kicks the butt of any miracle cure out there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users