Photo
- - - - -

Supplement to be more outgoing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:25 AM

What is a good supplement to make you more outgoing? My doctor has given me some benzodiazepines to take the edge off but these don't seem to make me more spontaneous or anything. Alcohol and adderall both seem to work well, not in combination but separately. What is something that I could take that would be more healthy than any of the drugs I have listed above. I don't want drugs I just want something that works and does as little damage as possible to my body.

#2 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:04 AM

What is a good supplement to make you more outgoing? My doctor has given me some benzodiazepines to take the edge off but these don't seem to make me more spontaneous or anything. Alcohol and adderall both seem to work well, not in combination but separately. What is something that I could take that would be more healthy than any of the drugs I have listed above. I don't want drugs I just want something that works and does as little damage as possible to my body.

Yeah, I would not be taking Adderall to become more social. For most people alcohol is enough. That's a tricky topic though, you don't need drugs, supplements, or anything else to become social. The problem is that you lack confidence in social situations (I do too in some situations, dance clubs cause I can't dance). I also often feel uncomfortable in situations where I am at a social party and I know absolutely no one else there (although this does not come up often). The solution, figure out what makes you uncomfortable. Maybe you need to change your clothes, change your hairstyle, fix acne, fix teeth, whatever. After that, start out in simple situations and then work your way up. For me, I try to get out into every day places as much as possible. For example, I will go to a grocery store for lunch and sit near people I don't know instead of going to a restaurant with people that I do know. Basically, you need to root cause your uneasiness and systematically remove it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 wootwoot

• Topic Starter
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, I would not be taking Adderall to become more social. For most people alcohol is enough. That's a tricky topic though, you don't need drugs, supplements, or anything else to become social. The problem is that you lack confidence in social situations (I do too in some situations, dance clubs cause I can't dance). I also often feel uncomfortable in situations where I am at a social party and I know absolutely no one else there (although this does not come up often). The solution, figure out what makes you uncomfortable. Maybe you need to change your clothes, change your hairstyle, fix acne, fix teeth, whatever. After that, start out in simple situations and then work your way up. For me, I try to get out into every day places as much as possible. For example, I will go to a grocery store for lunch and sit near people I don't know instead of going to a restaurant with people that I do know. Basically, you need to root cause your uneasiness and systematically remove it.

It is almost like there is a wall in my head and I won't let my guard down if you follow me. With alcohol or adderall I am in a good mood and am able to just let me thoughts flow whereas normally if I don't know anyone at an event I am more guarded. I know this is more of a personality defect but any help through supplementation would be great.

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

It is almost like there is a wall in my head and I won't let my guard down if you follow me. With alcohol or adderall I am in a good mood and am able to just let me thoughts flow whereas normally if I don't know anyone at an event I am more guarded. I know this is more of a personality defect but any help through supplementation would be great.

I know what you mean, many years ago when I had really bad acne, I wanted to avoid all social situations. It was not until I fixed the problem that I felt more comfortable. However, those drugs may also be mostly placebo. If you need a supplement, try something less toxic, L-Theanine or 5-HTP maybe.

Edited by Ghostrider, 16 March 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#5 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

bacopa & ashwaghanda does the trick for me.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

I think the best supplement in this case is experience. I used to be very shy when I was younger, but that slowly faded away as I grew older.

Practice going out of your comfort zone and you'll grow more and more confident as time goes by.

#7 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

Just view the world as your enemy and you won't care about what they think and only view others as tools for your own satisfaction.

#8 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

Just view the world as your enemy and you won't care about what they think and only view others as tools for your own satisfaction.

funny hehe.

I would have said something similar.

#9 abolitionist

• 720 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

combining tianeptine and selegiline might help

A slow-release patch for each would be best

Edited by abolitionist, 03 April 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#10 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Go to the gym, (this has been said a thousand times!) build up/tone up - doesn't matter. It helps depression, general self asteem and gives you something where you put in effort and get a (fairly) proportional payback which is lacking from many asepcts of life.

Don't take benzo's you'll just be lethargic; relaxed as in stoned not sociable. If you must then just take some guarana; it's just caffeine which is gradually released from an oil-base, I used to take it when I had a social life from time to time (i have now replaced the social life with a wife, 3 children and a dog- a fair trade).

Sentinel

#11 mammalspod

• 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:54 AM

Ask your doctor about Wellbutrin, this really worked for me. I went through a period when I wasn't drinking or anything else, but I still would go out at night with my friends. I would talk to a lot of girls and I got laid all the time. Now I'm with one of those chicks and have been for 7 years. Good luck.

#12 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:15 AM

Try Diablo Relax Strips. They are like listerine strips and they have Suma, GABA, Glutamic Acid, Grifonia, and Ashwagandha,. I find they work pretty good if you can get past the taste.

#13 Not_Supplied

• 93 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

See my post about 5htp. Although I felt a bit funny, I think if you get the dose right it can definitely make you more sociable. That stuffs not all about supplements though. Look into releasing some of the trauma stored in your body/mind. Everyones got some trauma in this neurotic world of ours.

#14 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

I've had serious social anxiety all my life. I've gotten a lot better though. Bulking up has helped (my doctor told me that people who are around a normal weight tend to be relaxed mentally, and it also boosts confidence). One thing that I didn't expect to help me socially is Tai Chi. Tai Chi is a really slow motion martial art that makes you feel you're entire body at once and be able to move it as one. I can't explain why (still figuring it out), but this type of movement helps confidence and therefore social interactions.

As far as supps go, I find that Rhodiola works really, really well for me if I take it occasionally (no more than a couple times a week, or you'll build tolerance). You can also combine it with a green tea for a nice boost, as rhodiola boosts the effects of caffeine. You can also take it with red bull if u want to get a little high, but I recommend against that in social situations. ;)

My doctor has prescribed me Ativan for social situations, but I only use it in really large crowds, very sparingly.

One thing I want to make aware for people who have not had to deal with this problem, or at least not to a great extent, that it is a lot more than making yourself confident. You can do that, and remove the reasons of panicking in a social situation, but this is often not enough. Your brain has wired itself to panic for many many years, and just because you remove the reason that doesn't mean the programming automatically goes with it. For me, it takes meditation to close this gap (one way to look at it is computer programming for humans).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

large dose pygnogenol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users