- - - - -

Serious problem with vinpocetine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wonder9

• 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Dear all,

Hello! I am new to this forum, I hope you're all doing good...

Here is the deal: I've been taking statine drugs for 6 months and ended getting terrible neck and headaches.
I stopped taking statine a few months ago but remain struck with these aches until 3 days ago when I started a regimen of vinpocetine at 30mg per day divided into 3 doses (brand name Intelectol). Those aches completely disapeared within 72 hours...I though I was dreaming but the feeling I was getting out of vinpo was incredible. I am also starting to feel more arouse sexually. Today, I ask my mom (she is a nurse) to take my BP and....horror! It went seriously up, close to hypertension.

Now, according to my research on this forum, vinpo is supposed to lower BP, not raise it!

I am kind of scared! What is happening? Is it the dosage or am I having a allergic reaction to vinpo?

Thanks for your help.

#2 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Dear all,

Here is the deal: I've been taking statine drugs for 6 months and ended getting terrible neck and headaches.
I stopped taking statine a few months ago but remain struck with these aches until 3 days ago when I started a regimen of vinpocetine at 30mg per day divided into 3 doses (brand name Intelectol). Those aches completely disapeared within 72 hours...I though I was dreaming but the feeling I was getting out of vinpo was incredible. I am also starting to feel more arouse sexually. Today, I ask my mom (she is a nurse) to take my BP and....horror! It went seriously up, close to hypertension.

Now, according to my research on this forum, vinpo is supposed to lower BP, not raise it!

I am kind of scared! What is happening? Is it the dosage or am I having a allergic reaction to vinpo?

Thanks for your help.

BP can fluctuate for a variety of reasons, so it is important to measure it at different times to obtain a general average.

Vinpocetine does increase the "firing" rate of noradrenergic neurons in the rat locus coeruleus, and induces noradrenalin release in the main pulmonary artery of rabbits. Apovincaminic acid (a metabolite of vinpocetine) and the parent drug are reported to cause systemic hypotension, transient decreases in blood-pressure and increases in total coronary flow of anesthetized dogs in the lower dosage range (1-3 mg/kg).

I'd suggest monitoring your BP, as the single-instance increase does not necessarily imply a cause-effect relationship with the vinpocetine.

Gaál L, Molnár P. "Effect of vinpocetine on noradrenergic neurons in rat locus coeruleus." European Journal of Pharmacology 1990 Oct 23;187(3):537-9. PMID: 2073927.

Imamoto T, Tanabe M, Shimamoto N, Kawazoe K, Hirata M. "Cerebral circulatory and cardiac effects of vinpocetine and its metabolite, apovincaminic acid, in anesthetized dogs." Arzneimittel-forschung 1984;34(2):161-9. PMID: 6539108.

Pauló T, Tóth PT, Nguyen TT, Forgács L, Török TL, Magyar K. "[3H]noradrenaline-releasing action of vinpocetine in the isolated main pulmonary artery of the rabbit." Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 1986 Sep;38(9):668-73. PMID: 2877067.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Wonder9

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

Dear all,

Thanks for your help.

BP can fluctuate for a variety of reasons, so it is important to measure it at different times to obtain a general average.

Vinpocetine does increase the "firing" rate of noradrenergic neurons in the rat locus coeruleus, and induces noradrenalin release in the main pulmonary artery of rabbits. Apovincaminic acid (a metabolite of vinpocetine) and the parent drug are reported to cause systemic hypotension, transient decreases in blood-pressure and increases in total coronary flow of anesthetized dogs in the lower dosage range (1-3 mg/kg).

I'd suggest monitoring your BP, as the single-instance increase does not necessarily imply a cause-effect relationship with the vinpocetine.

Gaál L, Molnár P. "Effect of vinpocetine on noradrenergic neurons in rat locus coeruleus." European Journal of Pharmacology 1990 Oct 23;187(3):537-9. PMID: 2073927.

Imamoto T, Tanabe M, Shimamoto N, Kawazoe K, Hirata M. "Cerebral circulatory and cardiac effects of vinpocetine and its metabolite, apovincaminic acid, in anesthetized dogs." Arzneimittel-forschung 1984;34(2):161-9. PMID: 6539108.

Pauló T, Tóth PT, Nguyen TT, Forgács L, Török TL, Magyar K. "[3H]noradrenaline-releasing action of vinpocetine in the isolated main pulmonary artery of the rabbit." Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 1986 Sep;38(9):668-73. PMID: 2877067.

Dopamine,

Thanks for your answer. I knew something was wrong with vinpo and me today right before having my BP checked: I felt very aroused but somehow flacid and close to impotent, which could be sometime due to high or low BP. This is the event that gave me the idea to have my BP checked asap.
Another possibility is that according to my research, vinpo increase serotonin, and to much of it is a no-no.
I am 34 years old and always had the BP of a sportsman.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:26 AM

Wonder9, at the risk of stating the obvious, if monitoring your bp shows it to be generally raised, you would want to stop taking vinpocetine, and continue monitoring your bp. If it then goes back to normal, you have some evidence of causation.

#5 Wonder9

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

Wonder9, at the risk of stating the obvious, if monitoring your bp shows it to be generally raised, you would want to stop taking vinpocetine, and continue monitoring your bp. If it then goes back to normal, you have some evidence of causation.

Thanks for your answer!

What I've done is greatly lower the dosage to 5mg in the morning and 5mg before bed instead of continuing 30mg per day.
The effect now is much more pleasant and less stimulating. There is still a very slight BP rise but nothing alarming compared to the benefits gained in the past 72 hours!
I've used prescription drugs that took weeks to give me result that dramatic:) Vinpo is in a class of its own!
My brain is awake and my visual accuity is better, with a slight buzzing in the right ear 1 hour after ingestion.

I am starting my Master's thesis in a few days...we'll see how it goes with vinpo!

#6 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hi Wonder,

I am using around 45mg Vinpocetine a day - without any notable side effect.
I checked my blood pressure yesterday! It was around 110/60.

Cheers and best regards

Alex

Dear all,

Thanks for your help.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Wonder9

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hi Wonder,

I am using around 45mg Vinpocetine a day - without any notable side effect.
I checked my blood pressure yesterday! It was around 110/60.

Cheers and best regards

Alex

Dear Alex,

How do you manage 45mg per day...:-D I am new to nootrops. I've tried the racetams a few time with no results, but vinpo had such a profound effect on my brain and body in the last 90 hours or so that I do not recall any prescription drugs having such an effect on me!

- I use to smoke 4 packs of cigarettes per day for 14 years (I quit). Within 24 hours of using vinpo, brain slugginess disapeared.

- Libido is back after about 72 hours

- My vision is so clear and precise and colorful that sometime it hurt a bit

-Headaches and neckpains due to heavy statines use for a few months...gone also in 72 hours

-I do not wake up from bed anymore, I jump out of it!

-I also have mild euphoria most of the day, also this is passing by with time:(

This stuff is plain crazy, I use it with coline and inositol because today I had a stiff neck.

Best regards

Dear all,

Thanks for your help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users