- - - - -

Why did my vinpocetine stop working?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 arvcondor

• 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

EDIT: Sorry, topic should read, "Why did my vinpocetine STOP working?"

This stuff was a godsend when it worked, but after a few days it completely pooped out on me. I've tried taking it with food, on an empty stomach, etc. What's the best way to take it? I'm thinking that it either wore off or it worked only when there was a chance alignment of factors. I've also been taking it with DMAE which seemed to also help. Now, nothing. So my question is, WTF?

(edited by Matthias: topic title changed as desired)

Edited by Matthias, 13 May 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#2 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

Resistance to alkaloids is common. If you really need an
brain oxygen usage improver all the time, then cycle things like

- Vinpocetine
- Ginkgo
- Hydergine/Nicergoline
- Pyritinol

and consider long-term ALCAR+Lipoic Acid (this improves
oxygen usage mitochondrially without any resistance(.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 arvcondor

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

- Vinpocetine
- Ginkgo
- Hydergine/Nicergoline
- Pyritinol

I already take 6 mg of Hydergine a day, although I take the generic ergoloid mesylates prescribed by my doctor. Would it be useful to stop both of them, then start back up and cycle back and forth? Also, ginkgo has done nothing for me. It did, however, attenuate some sexual dysfunction that is a side effect of the Effexor I'm on. Can I use ginkgo chronically and cycle the other three?

#4 arvcondor

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:35 AM

Also, am I supposed to take the ALCAR/ALA with food or on an empty stomach?

#5 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

I am curious about this too. I currently take the ALCAR right after eating and ALA about 30 minutes before eating in the morning. By the way, what's a good dose of ALCAR for 120 pound male? Take all at once or spread out throughout day?

#6 arvcondor

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

I am curious about this too. I currently take the ALCAR right after eating and ALA about 30 minutes before eating in the morning. By the way, what's a good dose of ALCAR for 120 pound male? Take all at once or spread out throughout day?

Ghost, did you find that it helps? My supplement is a combined ALCAR/ALA and so I can't split it up. If the ALCAR w/ food works for you, though, I'll give it a shot. Every bottle I read says to take between meals.

#7 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Vinpocetine looks great (actually more like amazing) on paper but it never did anything positive for me. I've tried it numerous times and it just doesn't do anything but seem to make me lethargic and tongue tied (almost aphasic).As far as cerebral vasodilators are concerned Ginkgo and Hydergine seem to work better for me, gingko's cheaper and easier to get so that is what I take. These effects could be from the fact that I take so much stuff including nootropics like piracetam on a daily basis so maybe vinpocetine pushes me over the edge of the U shaped response curve so maybe if I took it alone it would be no problem but who knows. So maybe it did the same to you, you took it for so long the effects built up, perhaps you increased the dosage, took something that unknowingly was synergistic and thus pushed you over the U shaped response curve typical of nootropics as in too much and you get dumber.

Edited by edward, 14 May 2008 - 07:53 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

- Vinpocetine
- Ginkgo
- Hydergine/Nicergoline
- Pyritinol

I've never heard that we should be cycling Vinpo & Ginkgo - you are quite sure about this?

ALCAR + Lipoic Acid - this stuff makes me feel weird, edgy, unable to relax and even sleep at night. Anyone else have this problem?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users