- - - - -

Spreading the meme

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:37 AM

From what I can tell (and correct me if I'm wrong), we have yet to contact many of the other organizations in the techno-progressive alliance and ask them for TLM F@H coverage on their websites.

Some possible organizations that come to mind:

betterhumans
singinst
WTA
CR society
Alcor
CI

Perhaps we could even contact the Russians... http://www.transhuma...t/view/120/123/

And I'm sure I'm leaving out a large number of organizations that share our LE platform.

This kind of activist competition is highly viral. I think we can galvanize the movement as a whole if we play our cards right. Of course, the specifics of such a lobbying campaign would need to be carefully considered.

#2 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

To further elaborate on my above idea:

Of course the F@H Prize is a distinctly internal ImmInst competition (which anyone is welcome to join). However its beneficiary, The Longevity Meme, is gaining some serious momentum and there's no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of this by having it promoted by the larger LE community. Maybe the theme/goal of of such a campaign could be to break into the top 100.

#3 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

Any expanded promotion would be of value in my opinion. I'm hoping that at some point we can take the concept of volunteering time and computing horsepower and abstract it such that we are involved in far more than simply protein folding. Perhaps in this light, more organizations might rally around the idea.

Betterhumans has a folding team for Rosetta though. Are you suggesting we ask them to switch to promoting the Longevity Meme instead?

#4 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

Any expanded promotion would be of value in my opinion. I'm hoping that at some point we can take the concept of volunteering time and computing horsepower and abstract it such that we are involved in far more than simply protein folding. Perhaps in this light, more organizations might rally around the idea.

Betterhumans has a folding team for Rosetta though. Are you suggesting we ask them to switch to promoting the Longevity Meme instead?

I wasn't aware that Betterhumans already had a team and was committed elsewhere so, no, I wasn't suggesting such an action. Although if we could convince them to come over to our team then heck, why not?

I must confess a major degree of ignorance when it comes to F@H and many of the specifics. This is just an idea that's popped into my head which I think has potential and could be easy to implement. The motivation for other organizations following suit is the same as the motivation which led ImmInst to promote this cause to begin with - it's easy for individuals to participate and it gives an organization a concrete "call to action".

Edited by Technosophy, 01 July 2008 - 02:48 PM.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Great idea Don! Thanks for the suggestion. We sent out some press releases, hit many forums, tried to digg, etc... at the beginning of the 1st quarter. Now would be a good time to hit the "friendly" websites.

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:10 AM

Great idea Don! Thanks for the suggestion. We sent out some press releases, hit many forums, tried to digg, etc... at the beginning of the 1st quarter. Now would be a good time to hit the "friendly" websites.

I agree; Any other websites, forums, teams, etc. we could combine or co-opt with to increase visibility would be good. "Friendly" sites that share our common goals would be great to add.

Also, anyone that has a personal blog that reads this could write a quick blog item about the team. (or, people could email their friends, create a facebook event, etc.) Any way that we can get the word out is beneficial.

#7 DJS

• Topic Starter
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

Other ideas that have been floating around in my head:

1. Could we acquire the contact information for TLM members? A large percentage of members are listed as inactive. Now granted, for some of them circumstances may have changed and they're no longer able to participate. However I'm willing to bet that many others have just forgotten about the competition and would be willing to turn their folding program back on if reminded to do so. In terms of success rates, we couldn't ask for a more receptive demographic.

2. Could we somehow extend an olive branch to the active members of other teams which are, figuratively speaking, dead in the water?

Of course, more than likely getting participants' contact info is not possible, but I figured I'd at least throw the thought out there. At the very least, we could make an effort to contact some of our inactive members whose contact information we could easily find out (eg, jaydfox).

#8 Mind

• 19,054 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:01 AM

All worthy ideas Don, never be afraid to share them. Your ideas are things I will plan on implementing (in part or in whole) as the 2nd and 3rd quarter progress, in order keep the momentum of the team going.

#9 frenchhorn1

• Guest, F@H
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

One time I got a real bad case of meme and it spread all the way from my belly button to my knees. The doctor said I was lucky I caught it when I did.

It's 10PM. Do you know where your children are?

I don't.

By which I mean I don't have any children. But nevertheless!

#10 Mind

• 19,054 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Here are 7 things we have discussed to promote the 3rd quarter of the F@H prize competition.

1. A new front page article promoting the 3rd quarter competition and announcing the new prizes.
2. Forum discussions promoting the same.
3. Contact non-producing teams (used to fold but stopped) and invite them to join TLM and compete for the prize.
4. Putting up to $100 into a google ad targetting folders (and tech/geeks)
5. Contact friendly life extension websites and orgs and invite them to fold for TLM.
6. Send out a mass PM.
7. Write an "idiots guide" to folding.

We want to start the promo blitz around the 20th but might hold off until the 25th for the mass PM to give Sentinel, kismet, and dnamechanic time to write the "idiots guide".

#11 Mind

• 19,054 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Of course the F@H Prize is a distinctly internal ImmInst competition

I just wanted to make sure to correct this. Even a lot of the folders are currently Imminst members, the team was started by Reason, and Imminst only acts as the official administrator of the prize. Anyone from anywhere in the world and belonging to any group or organization is invited to participate... and win lots of great prizes.

Thanks for the ideas to invite other groups. So far I contacted:

1. Novamente (Bruce better put at least one computer on folding time!).
2. The Russian transhumanists.
3. Cryonics Society.
4. Lifeboat Foundation (rejected the idea :) )

Everyone, please list any other organizations you might think are game for this competition and I will send an invitation.

#12 Mind

• 19,054 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:56 PM

The way I am pitching the idea is for the invited organization to join under one name - such as MFURI did. Then every member of that organization can fold under a single name and perhaps get in the running for one of the prizes. They get exposure within the TLM team and by association visibility through the folding community at large. It is the ultimate expression of life extension organizations working together (and flexing our muscle).

#13 Mind

• 19,054 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Maybe some senior advocacy groups would join - like AARP, or am I way off base here?

#14 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

Oh, let's contact Oracle while we're at it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users