• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Aging is.............

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

Aubrey de grey says "Aging is a barbaric phenomenon that shouldn't be tolerated in polite society "

Let's hear other members opinions about aging by writing a sentence regarding what you think aging is..

Start the sentence with aging is......

eg

Aging is ..........something that prevents us from reaching our goals of humanity........

Aging is........ a gigantic waste of human talent.......

Edited by Shonghow, 29 September 2008 - 03:38 PM.

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

ok, i like these "venting out" sessions, although i don't see much use in them.

To me, aging is what prevents me from being truly happy and enjoying the moment knowing that i'll be able to enjoy it for as long as i want. I think that once we beat aging, everything will have a new, enhanced flavor, for me.

#3 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Aging is ... a disease that needs to be cured

Aging is ... the number one cause of death

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

To me, aging is what prevents me from being truly happy and enjoying the moment knowing that i'll be able to enjoy it for as long as i want. I think that once we beat aging, everything will have a new, enhanced flavor, for me.

I totally agree. Having the knowledge that you could die whether it be from aging or an accident (because the human body is so weak and fragile) really takes the joy out of life sometimes.

#5 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Agreed completely.
Without death, I could enjoy sitting all day staring at the stars, or even at air.
Now it feels like the clock is running.

#6 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:26 AM

Agreed completely.
Without death, I could enjoy sitting all day staring at the stars, or even at air.
Now it feels like the clock is running.

Wow. Powerful stuff.

Aging is...time's winged chariot hurrying near. (Marvell)
Aging is...deserts of vast eternity. (Marvell)
Aging is...having lost but once your prime, ye may forever tarry (Herrick)

My own feeble take:

Aging is...attempts to cast in verse and stone that which lasts forever, in vain efforts to contrast with that which passes so quickly
Aging is...assuredness of monuments and not endless void.
Aging is...the eventual replacement of the universe with consciousness
Aging is...diving into the eternities between 2 seconds or 2 microns, knowing that eternity can be found there, if not in the foreboding arrow of time.
Aging is...not being able to share eternity with time.
Aging is...a counterintuitive opposition to the timeless, still and eternal nature of consciousness.
Aging is...not having me as its mistress.
Aging is...losing now. Yes, losing the struggle! It is already defeated. We may take several generations to sort it out and may only recover those who wish to return from information fields surrounding and ringing our earth, but most whose consciousnesses have fled from time and matter will not likely return, lest they left true love (familial and romantic) and are having difficulty in the hereafter and cannot well commune with their earthbound lovers and do not wish to move on. They will reassemble for us.

Carpe diem poems clearly indicate that the cavaliers were obsessed with this matter, and they were not always into getting women in the sack. There would be more time for everything: from love to appreciation of beauty, and to, as you eloquently express and I clumsily try to paraphrase: to indescribable immersion and abandonment to nothingness, negative states and endless seas of star, cloud, ocean, sand and time.

Sorry. Just went off here!

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Aging is..... something that we don't like but still accept without questioning any alternatives...

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

This reminds me of this blog I wrote:

Stumble upon infinite wonder. Then embark upon its vast wonderous meaning. Then take a story about it that hasnt even begun to scratch the surface of what is going on, that took every single minute of 80 years to read and write, and throw it away. That is what death is. (death/aging)

#9 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Which is better?

Aging is ... a waste of time!
or
Aging is ... wasting our time!

#10 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Aging is......inevitable and a constant reminder of impermanence.

Aging is......not necessarily associated with suffering.

Aging is......nothing to fear.

Aging is......liberating.

#11 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:46 AM

I thought you were against aging and pro life extension?

#12 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

I'm more anti-suffering

#13 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:25 AM

art - a hemorrhage of physical, emotional and cognitive vigor that is inexorable and increasing with time until none remains.

science - a requirement of evolution

#14 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

Aging is not going to be fun.

#15 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

Aging is......gniga spelled backwards

#16 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:56 AM

Aging is not going to be fun

Be careful not to manifest that perception into reality Joseph. Most of the so-called negative aspects of aging do not result from aging per se but rather result from an acceptance of the socially accepted view of aging i.e a doubled over 80- year old with a zimmer frame.

Many people modify what they do as they get older simply because they are getting older and they accept this as being a part of the aging process. For example, walking up stairs may get harder for some people as they age. My parents built their dream home recently and at one stage in the planning process my mother said, "well you know my knees aren't as they used to be so perhaps we shouldn't build the 2nd storey". I said to my mother that she should be proactive and seek advice on how she could fix any problems that she has with her knees. She responded that it was just the result of aging. WTF?! If she was in her 30's she would have seen the doctor but because she was in her 60's.......well that different, she's getting old and that's what happens. It's not what happens.

In short, I read all these completed sentences above and it makes me wonder so many members have such a bleak view of aging when that's simply not the case.

Aging does not have to equal suffering.

#17 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

Aging is not going to be fun

Be careful not to manifest that perception into reality Joseph. Most of the so-called negative aspects of aging do not result from aging per se but rather result from an acceptance of the socially accepted view of aging i.e a doubled over 80- year old with a zimmer frame.

Many people modify what they do as they get older simply because they are getting older and they accept this as being a part of the aging process. For example, walking up stairs may get harder for some people as they age. My parents built their dream home recently and at one stage in the planning process my mother said, "well you know my knees aren't as they used to be so perhaps we shouldn't build the 2nd storey". I said to my mother that she should be proactive and seek advice on how she could fix any problems that she has with her knees. She responded that it was just the result of aging. WTF?! If she was in her 30's she would have seen the doctor but because she was in her 60's.......well that different, she's getting old and that's what happens. It's not what happens.

In short, I read all these completed sentences above and it makes me wonder so many members have such a bleak view of aging when that's simply not the case.

Aging does not have to equal suffering.

I would agree that aging doesn't necessarily equal suffering as long as you maintain a proactive an precautionary attitude as you say, because otherwise you are slave to what other people have told you is going to happen.

Perhaps to clarify what I mean (because I don't see a conflict here): What I do while I age is going to be fun. But aging is not going to be fun.

No matter how much snowboarding, scuba-diving, and camping I do throughout my life, getting the cartilage re-shaped in my knees, or a tumor removed from my lung is never going to be considered fun (at least by me).

However, one aspect of aging I am looking forward to is getting some gray hair... I know it sounds strange, but I seriously wouldn't mind that at all!

Btw, that was a good example you gave.

#18 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

Aging is......gniga spelled backwards

Damn straight nigga'

#19 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:05 AM

Ageing is ...... your balls giving up the ghost so that you require technology to make you a man again. (Granted, a bigger, stronger, faster, more kick-your-ass manly man, but still ... it's ageing.)

Aging is...an intuitive opposition to the timeless, still and eternal nature of consciousness.

Fixed.

I like all of these. I think you have more in you. Come on, out with them.

This reminds me of this blog I wrote: Stumble upon infinite wonder. Then embark upon its vast wonderous meaning. Then take a story about it that hasnt even begun to scratch the surface of what is going on, that took every single minute of 80 years to read and write, and throw it away. That is what life is. (death/aging)

That is a remarkable analogy, BrokenPortal. I have fixed it to show you where I live.

Edited by fatboy, 31 December 2008 - 09:01 AM.

#20 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

Aging is.......sitting at home on New Years Eve responding to this thread.

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Aging is.....realising that death exists.

#22 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

That's a good one. You're off the hook in my book (even though I think you got a couple more good ones in you I would like to see).

#23 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Aging is............. a slippery slope

#24 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Aging is.......sitting at home on New Years Eve responding to this thread.

Lol.. No that's not aging, that's sensational!

#25 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Nope. That's common sense and a catalyst for developing a stem cell research lab.

#26 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:02 PM

(1) Aging is......anger in benign situations.

(2) Aging is.....the utility of facebook.

(3) Aging is.....sometimes spelled "ageing" which absolutely does my head in (see 1)

#27 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

Aging is.....often a word used to describe some of the jokes I tell for months on end

Aging is.....any freaking topic talking about modafinil or racetams

#28 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

aging is..... to die slowly

#29 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

Ageing is being a pussy worrying about dying.

#30 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

Aging is being to lazy, short sighted and closed minded to put in the work to keep your own life going so you can continue to experience an infinite sea of wonder.

Aging is a concentration camp for dreams.

Aging is not liberating.

Aging is a tyrant battled by those brave enough to help fight it.

Aging is unneccessary and irresponsible in an age when we can fight it.

Aging is like letting your house decrepitate with out doing anything about it.

Aging is your friends and family dying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users