Photo
- - - - -

Modafinil Trail

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

Note - I'm suffering from excessive daytime (and anytime!) sleepiness, its effect periodical (during the day and different every day or at certain periods of weeks). Used to take Ritalin for the above, which energized me and kept me awake and focus (also highly motivated), but the "sleepiness" feeling wasn't resolved. Taking Effexor for depression.

Day 1:

Took Melatonin (1mg) before bed. Set the alarm to 7 hours sleep. Woke up, took 50mg Modafinil and got back to sleep for another hour (set the snoozer).

Woke up relatively alert and filled with energy. The feeling subsided after about 2 hours. Still was able to keep awake but felt uncomfortably tired.

Thoughts:
- In the past, taking Melatonin (even in small doses) affected me even after a long sleep. Sleepiness feeling on 50mg Modafinil might be caused by prolonged Melatonin effect.
- 50mg might be too low of a dose.
- Tomorrow will try 50mg again without taking Melatonin before sleep.

#2 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

Note - I'm suffering from excessive daytime (and anytime!) sleepiness, its effect periodical (during the day and different every day or at certain periods of weeks). Used to take Ritalin for the above, which energized me and kept me awake and focus (also highly motivated), but the "sleepiness" feeling wasn't resolved. Taking Effexor for depression.

Day 1:

Took Melatonin (1mg) before bed. Set the alarm to 7 hours sleep. Woke up, took 50mg Modafinil and got back to sleep for another hour (set the snoozer).

Woke up relatively alert and filled with energy. The feeling subsided after about 2 hours. Still was able to keep awake but felt uncomfortably tired.

Thoughts:
- In the past, taking Melatonin (even in small doses) affected me even after a long sleep. Sleepiness feeling on 50mg Modafinil might be caused by prolonged Melatonin effect.

Interesting experiment. I'm curious, how did Ritalin keep you awake, focused, and "highly motivated", yet you still remained sleepy? That's rather odd. Was it "sleepiness", or was it just feeling a bit "out there" or something???

Anyway, I'll be checking-in from time to time on your experiment. I've sure done quite a few of them in the past, but I'll reserve my opinion for another time. I'm curious what you're going to come up with. Thanks for posting the info!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

Day 1:

Thoughts:

Hi steelsky, if you always feel tired, why take melatonin before bed? Do you need it to help you sleep?

#4 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

Notes on Ritalin experience:

Ritalin gave me a boost. I was able to function, and actually found an increase in my ability to concentrate. I've never had cognitive "problems". I'm actually very intelligent (proven by my achievement and tests). But I've noticed that SPECIFIC tasks that were hard for me to accomplish in the past were much easier on Ritalin. My productivity increased many fold, partly due to the effect on my sleepiness.
Regardless of the above, I felt strange that while alert, energized and productive - one thing remained, and that is the actually "sleepiness" feeling. It's as if I could still feel sleepy (as opposed to "tired", or lack of energy, of which I've never had a problem) but now was able to overcome it. The "sleepiness" kind of seeped through the Ritalin effect. Just like with hunger and Ritalin - it was still there, only "masked" by the Ritalin.

I also experienced a mood enhancing effect specifically concerning motivation and achievement. It was not the noticeable effect Prozac gave me on "a positive point of view". It was the urge to succeed and accomplish, to learn and progress. After researching I attribute this to the Ritalin's affect on norepinephrine, which is why I switched from Prozac to Effexor (the latter being an SNRI). It is a great feeling and while not strictly nootropic - it is one of the most effective ways of getting one to reach certain intelectual goals. If Modafinil will not give me the same feeling I will experiment with a combination of it and Ritalin.

#5 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

I've had problems with this as well, but recently things have improved considerably - went from needing 4-5 10-15 minute naps/day to 1 nap per day. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but about 2 months back I added creatine and theanine to my regemine. I take the creatine in the morning and the theanine about 45 minutes before hitting the sack.

Edited by Connor MacLeod, 31 October 2008 - 07:42 AM.

#6 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

I've had problems with this as well, but recently things have improved considerably - went from needing 4-5 10-15 minute naps/day to 1 nap per day. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but about 2 months back I added creatine and theanine to my regemine. I take the creatine in the morning and the theanine about 45 minutes before hitting the sack.

I appreciate the interest in the "experiment". Will try to answer everyone.
Ghostrider - I don't take Melatonin regularly and not because I have trouble falling asleep (just the opposite, actually), but I find I sleep deeper when taking Melatonin first. Sometimes it improves my alertness when I wake and sometimes aggravates my sleepiness. I take it occasionally also because of its high antioxidant effect.

Connor - thanks for the input. I've actually purchased Creatine for gaining muscle mass (I work out occasionally), so I'll report when I'll start using it (it's the EEC form, which I've actually read contradicting opinions about). I doubt it'll help me as its operation might increase your ATP levels/production, yet I've tried D-Ribose and Peak ATP, and other ATP agonists, with no success.

#7 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Day 1 Update:

As reported - after supposedly "peaking" 2 hours after intake, the effect subsided. Decided to go to sleep (it's the weekend and I also work from home) 5.5 hours after intake. Woke up two hours later and decided to take another 50mg. Again, felt best two hours later, but tiredness increased gradually after that. Now 10 hours after the second dose I'm going to sleep again. I think I'll try 100mg when I wake up, see if it has a stronger effect. Will also try to work, see how it effects my concentration and performance (will specify the tasks).

Am also considering trying 25mg every 4 hours.

Conclusion:

5:00AM - 50mg intake
6:00AM - Waking up (Snoozer from 5:00)
~7:00AM - "Peaking" (feeling alert, not bothered by sleepiness)
10:30AM - Going to sleep
12:00AM - Waking up (Alarm clock) and 50mg intake
~2:00PM - Feeling good. Highly concentrated at what I was doing (playing a video game and not bothered by background activity)
9:00PM - Going to sleep (feeling moderately tired)

#8 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

Notes on Ritalin experience:

Ritalin gave me a boost. I was able to function, and actually found an increase in my ability to concentrate. I've never had cognitive "problems". I'm actually very intelligent (proven by my achievement and tests). But I've noticed that SPECIFIC tasks that were hard for me to accomplish in the past were much easier on Ritalin. My productivity increased many fold, partly due to the effect on my sleepiness.
Regardless of the above, I felt strange that while alert, energized and productive - one thing remained, and that is the actually "sleepiness" feeling. It's as if I could still feel sleepy (as opposed to "tired", or lack of energy, of which I've never had a problem) but now was able to overcome it. The "sleepiness" kind of seeped through the Ritalin effect. Just like with hunger and Ritalin - it was still there, only "masked" by the Ritalin.

I also experienced a mood enhancing effect specifically concerning motivation and achievement. It was not the noticeable effect Prozac gave me on "a positive point of view". It was the urge to succeed and accomplish, to learn and progress. After researching I attribute this to the Ritalin's affect on norepinephrine, which is why I switched from Prozac to Effexor (the latter being an SNRI). It is a great feeling and while not strictly nootropic - it is one of the most effective ways of getting one to reach certain intelectual goals. If Modafinil will not give me the same feeling I will experiment with a combination of it and Ritalin.

Makes perfect sense. In fact, I can relate to your description because that's how I feel most of the time. You explained it perfectly. Even when I have those moments where I "think" I have energy, all I have to do is sit down for a few minutes and it's like the party's over - could easily take a nap. As far as Prozac - that used to be my weapon of choice. I loved using Prozac years ago. I was very focused and disciplined with everything I did. I was like a machine. But, my wife isn't in the mood to live with an emotionless zombie, so we made a deal. Anyway, you don't have to respond to this post. I was just replying to your comment. Thanks.

#9 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

I appreciate the interest in the "experiment". Will try to answer everyone.
Ghostrider - I don't take Melatonin regularly and not because I have trouble falling asleep (just the opposite, actually), but I find I sleep deeper when taking Melatonin first. Sometimes it improves my alertness when I wake and sometimes aggravates my sleepiness. I take it occasionally also because of its high antioxidant effect.

Connor - thanks for the input. I've actually purchased Creatine for gaining muscle mass (I work out occasionally), so I'll report when I'll start using it (it's the EEC form, which I've actually read contradicting opinions about). I doubt it'll help me as its operation might increase your ATP levels/production, yet I've tried D-Ribose and Peak ATP, and other ATP agonists, with no success.

Regarding creatine, I have read some studies that suggest that creatine helps with alertness and mental performance in people who have been subjected to sleep deprivation.

Have you been diagnosed with narcolepsy or some other sleep disorder?

P.S. I take creatine monohydrate, though I'm not sure how much the particular form matters.

Edited by Connor MacLeod, 31 October 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#10 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

Day 2:

Woke up about 3 hours after going to sleep (set the alarm for that), took 25mg of Modafinil and went back to sleep. Woke up an hour later (also due to alarm) but was overwhelmed with sleepiness. Stayed awake for 30min, took 50mg of Modafinil and went back to sleep. Woke up NATURALLY after an hour. Strange feeling - on the one hand I'm very alert, concentrated and motivated, and on the other, I still feel some sleepiness "seeping" through.
Would like to note that the feeling is much like many description of Modafinil experience being "softer" than Ritalin. Like a mellower version of the same effect. Sadly, I do not like that I still have a slight sleepy feeling. This is just like it was on Ritalin and the reason why I wanted to try Modafinil (also to check for the nootropic benefits, which I'll report on after doing some work).

Leaving_florida - I disagree, and actually dismiss the claims about Prozac making anyone "apathetic". I have not found this with my own experience but my theory expends further than that. I think that people taking Prozac need to adjust to a different mental state than they used to be in. I don't think it makes emotions more dull or hard to come by. I think that people were used to feel certain things about certain things, and now they have the ability to feel otherwise, but they assume they don't feel anything at all. To try mathematics - without Prozac one would feel -1 about a situation, yet Prozac brings him to feeling 0 about it. This means that the person needs to "work" in order to get to +1, as Prozac doesn't automatically make you happy, it just enables it. So even -1 is considered an emotion but 0 isn't, so people deduce that Prozac makes them apathetic, but that is because they need to start looking at things in a different like, or start "working" on feeling good about stuff.

#11 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

Hi steel, can you tell me what your diet is like? What did you have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner both yesterday and today? I am thinking that maybe my own recent sluggishness is related to diet.

#12 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:05 PM

Day 2 Update:

Alertness and concentration peaked at 2 hours after taking the 50mg dose, then subsided. Should be noted that concentration and performance were very high during that time. Alas, tiredness creeped in 2 hours after that. Took a 25mg and went to sleep. Didn't heed the alarm and woke up 4 hours after that.
So far results are disappointing regarding lasting effect, for doses under 100mg. I am not sure I will be able to afford any daily dose above 100mg (it costs a lot here).

Note: I know my sleeping habits are erratic and unhealthy, but I can't help it. I was expecting Modafinil to work regardless of that, being said to be such a strong "anti sleepiness" agent.

#13 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Impressions note:

I have noticed today and yesterday a unique high concentration ability. This is somewhat different to the effect from Ritalin. I'm not sure exactly how, and I have yet to test it for a period longer than 4 hours, but it may be "stronger" than Ritalin's effect. Stronger might not be the right word, as it is actually a milder feeling of being "forced" to concentrate, yet the outcome enabled me to sit straight for periods of up to 4 hours without being bothered by anything (Ritalin actually makes everything sort of bothersome when concentration shift to interruptions, but this is not like that).

I've also noticed a mood change where I am more able to control anxiety, stress and anger.

What's strange about this is that some of these "high concentration periods" were in the time when the Modafinil was supposed to be depleted (above its 10-12 hours half-life). This may suggest that Modafinil might have long lasting effects. anybody knows anything about that? I would appreciate any input regarding members using (or used to use) Modafinil, specifically on its effect outside its "peaking" time span.

Sadly, sleepiness persists and I'm losing hope trying to abolish it. Will try a 100mg dose for the 3rd day.

#14 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi steel.

I used modafinil for some time to help with sleep apnoea and ADHD. I can vouch for the effect outside the peaking time span. It is a common effect and feels quite distinct from the 'just awakeness' you get directly when taking modafinil. The way I describe it is that my brain, rather than moving freely up and down in concentration levels with tiredness, gets 'stuck' at one level. This is particularly the case when I maintained 300 mg modafinil per day for four days or more.

I was able to sleep when under the 'high concentration' mode however I found that I wouldn't sleep. My brain would kind of keep me there at whatever I was doing. When I use modafinil now I make sure I stick to 3 day cycles. A lower dose also works fine when maintained indefinitely. I also find sustained high intensity exercise can counter just about any neurochemical side effects to some extent. 200 mg of modafinil per day and a solid exercise regimen is maintainable without weirdness.

Note that I said 'effect' not 'side effect'. There are clear benefits from increased concentration, so long as you take extra care to keep in touch with your body. Many people report that they must actively hold themselves back and force themselves to crash because the modafinil influenced brain pushes itself too far.

#15 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi Steelsky, have you ever had a sleep study done? Do you feel physically tired or just mentally?

#16 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi steel.

I used modafinil for some time to help with sleep apnoea and ADHD. I can vouch for the effect outside the peaking time span. It is a common effect and feels quite distinct from the 'just awakeness' you get directly when taking modafinil. The way I describe it is that my brain, rather than moving freely up and down in concentration levels with tiredness, gets 'stuck' at one level. This is particularly the case when I maintained 300 mg modafinil per day for four days or more.

I was able to sleep when under the 'high concentration' mode however I found that I wouldn't sleep. My brain would kind of keep me there at whatever I was doing. When I use modafinil now I make sure I stick to 3 day cycles. A lower dose also works fine when maintained indefinitely. I also find sustained high intensity exercise can counter just about any neurochemical side effects to some extent. 200 mg of modafinil per day and a solid exercise regimen is maintainable without weirdness.

Note that I said 'effect' not 'side effect'. There are clear benefits from increased concentration, so long as you take extra care to keep in touch with your body. Many people report that they must actively hold themselves back and force themselves to crash because the modafinil influenced brain pushes itself too far.

The bolded sentence above accurately defines the feeling. Again, it is quite different from the Ritalin experience, where distractions cause annoyance (yet the ability to concentrate is fairly similar). With Modafinil, the general feeling is of being more relaxed. This also expends to mood. "Luckily" I've had an argument today which enabled me to check it out. Usually, these types of arguments keep me feeling angry and depressed. Not today, though (strangely, this was outside the half-life span of the dose intake). I felt much more calm about it and was able to return to work without being bothered by it.
My only concern is the relatively "short" influence of Modafinil on sleepiness - I was still feeling uneasy and uncomfortable because of sleepiness. Productivity wasn't affected.

Ghostrider - I have been to a sleeping clinic. They didn't find anything major. Regarding diet - I eat RELATIVELY well. Although not growing my own seeds, I do tend to refrain from simple carbs and processed foods, sticking to whole grains, slim meat. I avoid milk and saturated fats. I also take plenty of supplements such as vitamins, minerals (also, important: keeping a proper balance), amino acids, EFAs and antioxidants.

#17 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

Day 3:

Bingo?!
Had a nice 4.5 hours sleep. Took 100mg and went back to bed. Woke up naturally after 30min and got to work. Amazing feeling during the work process. Very alert and concentrated, highly motivated and not anxious or jittery as when on Ritalin. Was able to stay in my chair for 2 hours. Decided to take a break then, even though could easily continue.
So far (3.5h after intake) feeling extremely alert (yet a very VERY mild feeling of tiredness, but nothing similar to when I was on Ritalin). Hope to maintain the feeling and that it won't subside like what happened with lower doses.
...So excuse me - I'm getting back to work :)

#18 Wedrifid

• 173 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

Day 3:

Bingo?!
Had a nice 4.5 hours sleep. Took 100mg and went back to bed. Woke up naturally after 30min and got to work. Amazing feeling during the work process. Very alert and concentrated, highly motivated and not anxious or jittery as when on Ritalin. Was able to stay in my chair for 2 hours. Decided to take a break then, even though could easily continue.
So far (3.5h after intake) feeling extremely alert (yet a very VERY mild feeling of tiredness, but nothing similar to when I was on Ritalin). Hope to maintain the feeling and that it won't subside like what happened with lower doses.
...So excuse me - I'm getting back to work :)

Great news Steelsky. Your experience sounds much like mine. There is certainly a difference between the modafinil energy and that from Ritalin. Like for example... on ritalin if there is a brick wall in the way the natural response is to break it down with your fists rather than find a door. ;)

Just remember the spider man principle: With great power comes great responsibility. In this case you have a power that you can use carefully to your own benefit and a responsibility to yourself to keep a close monitor on your physiological systems.

Edited by Wedrifid, 02 November 2008 - 07:28 AM.

#19 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

Great news Steelsky. Your experience sounds much like mine. There is certainly a difference between the modafinil energy and that from Ritalin. Like for example... on ritalin if there is a brick wall in the way the natural response is to break it down with your fists rather than find a door. ;)

Just remember the spider man principle: With great power comes great responsibility. In this case you have a power that you can use carefully to your own benefit and a responsibility to yourself to keep a close monitor on your physiological systems.

I'm not sure living by the spiderman principles is the way to go just yet, not unless I'll start taking spiders extracts.
I'd rather keep off the optimism still, mainly because I've found that I require high doses. This is a problem as the cost of Modafinil here is EXTREMELY high (about 4% my income, for 100mg... and I'm making good money). As of now it seems that I require 2-3 doses of 100mg during the day. That's a small fortune. However, if its influence persists - it might be worth it, as my productivity should soar.
I was told there isn't a generic yet. Is that so? What is one due to hit the market?
As for you brick wall metaphor - it has some truth into it. I wouldn't say that Ritalin makes you wanna "break it down", but with Modafinil you're not stressed about brick walls in front of you, and more relaxed to think of a way to, hmmm... melt them with you heat ray? In any case, Modafinil's effect, while being more subtle, is probably "potent" than Ritalin's.

Day 3 Update:

Reached the 5 hours mark after intake and was very sleepy. Went to sleep and woke up naturally (again!) 2.5 hours later. Felt very alert and motivated. Worked for 3 hours and felt sleepy again (this was about 10 hours after taking 100mg). Continued working for 2 hours nonetheless and went to sleep.
Conclusion: Taking 100mg every 8 hours might do the trick. Will try 100mg + 50mg after 8 hours.

Question - has anyone had their dose reduced after a period of taking "high" doses of Modafinil? I've seen some testimonials of people starting high (300-400) and after a while going down to 50-200. Does this mean that regardless of the half-life factor the substance has an overall effect on the system?

#20 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Question: What brand of "modafinil" are you taking? Provigil, Modiodal, Modalert, Modapro, etc.

Also: What is the typical onset of effects? Such as... after ingestion you notice a difference in 30 mins, 1 hour, 2, 3, etc.?

#21 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

I was told there isn't a generic yet. Is that so? What is one due to hit the market?

I am not sure what the difference is between a generic and the same drug sold overseas and made by a different pharma company, but HAB and Sun Parama sell modafinil under other brand names. Others have purchased these over the internet, some people have purchased due to lack of perscription and others have purchased due to cheaper cost. Look at the Research and Supplier subforum, there is a thread about the effectiveness of other modafinil brands. It's mixed, some claim that only Provigil is the real thing, some claim that others are just as good. Personally, I have only tried Adrafinil and found it to be worthless for productivity...it did not live up to my expectations. I have thought about either asking my doctor to write a perscription for Provigil for me to try or order modafinil online. I would prefer to ask for a prescription, but I don't think he's just going to write me a script. I have spent some time thinking about how I would ask for a trial of Provigil.

#22 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

I am not sure what the difference is between a generic and the same drug sold overseas and made by a different pharma company, but HAB and Sun Parama sell modafinil under other brand names. Others have purchased these over the internet, some people have purchased due to lack of perscription and others have purchased due to cheaper cost. Look at the Research and Supplier subforum, there is a thread about the effectiveness of other modafinil brands. It's mixed, some claim that only Provigil is the real thing, some claim that others are just as good. Personally, I have only tried Adrafinil and found it to be worthless for productivity...it did not live up to my expectations. I have thought about either asking my doctor to write a perscription for Provigil for me to try or order modafinil online. I would prefer to ask for a prescription, but I don't think he's just going to write me a script. I have spent some time thinking about how I would ask for a trial of Provigil.

Well, I'm very familiar with the different brands, etc... as you and I have discussed in a different thread. I'm curious to steeksky's experience. I'd like to know, in the context of his experiment, what brand he is using.

#23 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

Well, I'm very familiar with the different brands, etc... as you and I have discussed in a different thread. I'm curious to steeksky's experience. I'd like to know, in the context of his experiment, what brand he is using.

Since he mentioned the high cost and the fact that he has a prescription and the fact that he lives in the US...I would assume it would be Provigil.

Edit: I thought steelsky lived in the US, but I am confusing him with another member...not sure what brand he is using.

Edited by Ghostrider, 03 November 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#24 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

Since he mentioned the high cost and the fact that he has a prescription and the fact that he lives in the US...I would assume it would be Provigil.

Edit: I thought steelsky lived in the US, but I am confusing him with another member...not sure what brand he is using.

I've been thinking myself lately... over the past year of using different brands of modafinil in varying doses... and only having a total of approximately 6-8 times when I was pretty sure I could tell a significant difference, maybe it's time to get down to business and stop screwing around. I'm waiting for a shipment to arrive. I'm sick of feeling tired. I'm so frustrated that I might just go for it all and try a very large dose at once - around 500-600mgs. I want to know what it feels like to be truly A-W-A-K-E. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of playing the modafinil "guessing game" ...is it working? Is it not working? etc. It's really getting old.

#25 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:43 AM

I've been thinking myself lately... over the past year of using different brands of modafinil in varying doses... and only having a total of approximately 6-8 times when I was pretty sure I could tell a significant difference, maybe it's time to get down to business and stop screwing around. I'm waiting for a shipment to arrive. I'm sick of feeling tired. I'm so frustrated that I might just go for it all and try a very large dose at once - around 500-600mgs. I want to know what it feels like to be truly A-W-A-K-E. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of playing the modafinil "guessing game" ...is it working? Is it not working? etc. It's really getting old.

DON'T!
It has been said several times in these forums - Modafinil's effect is (well, most likely) reversed when taking "too much". You might feel even more tired if trying to overload. The smartest thing is actually to try a smaller dose. If you haven't - try taking 50mg or even 25mg. If that doesn't work - seek another agent, as I'm pretty sure 500-600 isn't going to do the trick.
That said, I sympathize with your condition. I hope I've found my "cure". I thought I've had with Ritalin but it wasn't quite there.

To the other posts - I'm taking Provigil. As far as I've checked it is the only brand selling here. I'm a strong advocate about using generic from a trusted supplier. Must generic drugs are exactly the same substances (have tried it with other drugs such as Prozac and Effexor), at most having a slightly modified delivery (e.g., coated/not coated). I don't know about the other brands of Modafinil, yet I hope there isn't a confusion here. Someone mentioned Adrafinil, which to my knowledge is a METABOLITE of Modafinil - NOT the same substance.

#26 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:03 AM

Day 4:

Am I "smarter"? I think I might be. Have noticed some slight improvements in working memory and organization of thought. Nothing to be definite about yet, but I'll keep checking to see if this is true, and if it is not temporary.

Day 3 went fine. Although some periods of sleepiness I was generally less sleepy. Went to sleep, woke up after 2 hours (from alarm). Took 100mg and went back to sleep. Woke up naturally after 1 hour. Felt BOTH sleepy and alert (probably because I shouldn't have set the clock to sleep just 3 hours... oh well). After a while (30-60min) felt completely awake. Got right to work. Made a great progress in only an hour and came here (I could have continued working but I've finished the task and now moving to other things).

I ought to emphasize the relaxed feeling I have (see my previous comments about mood). It affects both mood and concentration, and not just higher than when on Ritalin - probably higher than I've even been relaxed. It is a surprise as no one stated this from their experience. That might be because different people describe the same feelings differently, and might have concentrated on other effects of the drug. In any case, as far as mood and cognitive functions - this beats the Ritalin hands down. A friend of mine described Ritalin like a laser beam - you're very focused at a certain point, but when disturbed - your focus shifts to the disturbance (so the ability backfires, no pun intended), so that can be destructive, especially if you're Cyclops from X-men. Modafinil give you much more control on what you focus on, and you can switch back your focus to what's important. While you DO get distracted, you can shift back fairly easily, not even noticing the transition.

I think Ritalin work indiscriminately on certain monoamines. The general result is good, but just like the green hulk (I don't know what's with me and comics today) - you have TOO much power, and some nasty side effects (actually the analog of the hulk is proper since many people report, me included, being more angry). So Modafinil lets you be Professor X (with the disablement being, hmmm, the high cost of Provigil?)

;)

#27 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

You could try e-mailing your doc and just ask directly if he would write you a perscription for Provigil. Say that you feel constantly tired and have a 7-day free trial rebate of Provigil that you would like to use. If he's willing to give you a script for Viagra, I don't see why he would be hesitant about Provigil.

#28 leaving_florida

• 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

08:05 PM']Since he mentioned the high cost and the fact that he has a prescription and the fact that he lives in the US...I would assume it would be Provigil.

DON'T!
It has been said several times in these forums - Modafinil's effect is (well, most likely) reversed when taking "too much". You might feel even more tired if trying to overload. The smartest thing is actually to try a smaller dose. If you haven't - try taking 50mg or even 25mg. If that doesn't work - seek another agent, as I'm pretty sure 500-600 isn't going to do the trick.
That said, I sympathize with your condition. I hope I've found my "cure". I thought I've had with Ritalin but it wasn't quite there.

To the other posts - I'm taking Provigil. As far as I've checked it is the only brand selling here. I'm a strong advocate about using generic from a trusted supplier. Must generic drugs are exactly the same substances (have tried it with other drugs such as Prozac and Effexor), at most having a slightly modified delivery (e.g., coated/not coated). I don't know about the other brands of Modafinil, yet I hope there isn't a confusion here. Someone mentioned Adrafinil, which to my knowledge is a METABOLITE of Modafinil - NOT the same substance.[/size]

I honestly appreciate the advice, but I've been down the "experimentation road". I'll save you from the details, but I pretty much executed a year-long experiment which involved every method of delivery (within reason), and every type of dosage (300mgs and below). Also, I tested an endless combination involving modafinil with ritalin, caffeine, ephedrine, or all of the above. I created a journal of what type of day I woke up, went to sleep, took a pill; annotated the amount in mgs, my current level of fatigue (1-10), and miscellaneous notes which would effect any results (time of last meal, etc). Finally, I consistently updated my journal based on how my level of fatigue changed or didn't change. That's why I'm curious to what results you will find.

UPDATE: I found an incredible study involving the experimentation of HIGH doses of modafinil. Although I do not suffer from narcolepsy, this study has given me real proof that very high doses of modafinil are, not only tolerant, but effective. In short, either it will "wake me up" or it won't work, but I don't think it will be "dangerous" to take a high amount. Steelsky, I know you're in the middle of your experiment, so I would not advise you to check out the link until you are finished because it might influence your current strategy.

For anyone else interested in the published study:
http://neuro.psychia...t/full/17/3/405

Edited by leaving_florida, 03 November 2008 - 04:23 AM.

#29 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

08:05 PM']Since he mentioned the high cost and the fact that he has a prescription and the fact that he lives in the US...I would assume it would be Provigil.

DON'T!

To the other posts - I'm taking Provigil. As far as I've checked it is the only brand selling here. I'm a strong advocate about using generic from a trusted supplier. Must generic drugs are exactly the same substances (have tried it with other drugs such as Prozac and Effexor), at most having a slightly modified delivery (e.g., coated/not coated). I don't know about the other brands of Modafinil, yet I hope there isn't a confusion here. Someone mentioned Adrafinil, which to my knowledge is a METABOLITE of Modafinil - NOT the same substance.[/size]

I honestly appreciate the advice, but I've been down the "experimentation road". I'll save you from the details, but I pretty much executed a year-long experiment which involved every method of delivery (within reason), and every type of dosage (300mgs and below). Also, I tested an endless combination involving modafinil with ritalin, caffeine, ephedrine, or all of the above. I created a journal of what type of day I woke up, went to sleep, took a pill; annotated the amount in mgs, my current level of fatigue (1-10), and miscellaneous notes which would effect any results (time of last meal, etc). Finally, I consistently updated my journal based on how my level of fatigue changed or didn't change. That's why I'm curious to what results you will find.

UPDATE: I found an incredible study involving the experimentation of HIGH doses of modafinil. Although I do not suffer from narcolepsy, this study has given me real proof that very high doses of modafinil are, not only tolerant, but effective. In short, either it will "wake me up" or it won't work, but I don't think it will be "dangerous" to take a high amount. Steelsky, I know you're in the middle of your experiment, so I would not advise you to check out the link until you are finished because it might influence your current strategy.

For anyone else interested in the published study:
http://neuro.psychia...t/full/17/3/405

Then go for it. I'm not one to be strict or conservative, especially towards someone who's in such a need for change. From what I've learned I also do not see any risk in taking 500-600, at least to try it out. If it DOES help and you decide to keep at it (and were able to raise the money for such an expensive amount!) - get checked once in a while.

Regardless, I have another thought about Modafinil (another way to describe the feeling) - just as modafinil allows you to think about what you want (sharper memory, higher concentration, presumably), for me it also allows to NOT think about what I DON'T want to think about, including unpleasent thoughts (from depression and anxiety) and interruptions or disturbances. Turns out this is not less important than the first feature!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

Day 5:

First, let me state that I've slept only about 4-5 hours on day 4. I was awaken by phone calls after which I didn't really feel like going to sleep (felt very slightly tired).
Finally I did go to sleep. Woke up after 2 hours from alarm clock, took 100mg and went back. Woke up naturally 2 hours later, feeling dizzy but alert nonetheless. Got right back to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users