• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Barack Obama's aunt, a Kenyan woman who has been quietly living in public housing in Boston, is in the United States illegally after an immigration judge rejected her request for asylum four years ago, The Associated Press has learned.
Zeituni Onyango, 56, referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in Obama's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.

Information about the deportation case was disclosed and confirmed by two separate sources, one of them a federal law enforcment official. The information they made available is known to officials in the federal government, but the AP could not establish whether anyone at a political level in the Bush administration or in the McCain campaign had been involved in its release.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, non-criminal violation of U.S. immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the United States.

The AP could not reach Onyango immediately for comment. No one answered the telephone number listed in her name late Friday. It was unclear why her request for asylum was rejected in 2004.

Onyango is not a relative whom Obama has discussed in campaign appearances and, unlike Obama's father and grandmother, is not someone who has been part of the public discussion about his personal life.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Kelly Nantel, said the government does not comment on an individual's citizenship status or immigration case.

Onyango's case—coming to light just days before the presidential election—led to an unusual nationwide directive within Immigrations and Customs Enforcement requiring any deportations prior to Tuesday's election to be approved at least at the level of ICE regional directors, the U.S. law enforcement official told the AP.

The unusual directive suggests that the Bush administration is sensitive to the political implications of Onyango's case coming to light so close to the election.

Kenya is in eastern Africa between Somalia and Tanzania. The country has been fractured in violence in recent years, including a period of two months of bloodshed after December 2007 that killed 1,500 people.

The disclosure about Onyango came just one day after Obama's presidential campaign confirmed to the Times of London that Onyango, who has lived quietly in public housing in South Boston for five years, was Obama's half aunt on his father's side.

It was not immediately clear how Onyango might have qualified for public housing with a standing deportation order.

http://www.breitbart...;show_article=1

#2 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Boston Housing Authority ‘flabbergastered’ Barack Obama’s aunt living in Southie

By Jessica Fargen
Friday, October 31, 2008

A Boston Housing Authority director says Barack Obama’s aunt, a Kenyan woman who has lived in public housing for five years, is an “exemplary resident” and only recently did anyone know of her connection to the presidential contender.

Obama’s campaign spokesman Reid Cherlin confirmed to the Herald yesterday that Zeituni Onyango, 56, who lives on Flaherty Way in South Boston, is Obama’s aunt on his father’s side.

Onyango, a Kenyan native, is believed to be the “Aunti Zeituni” in Obama’s memoir, “Dreams From My Father.”

It wasn’t until recently, when a London newspaper started making inquiries about Onyango, that Deputy Director Bill McGonagle learned of the link.

McGonagle said BHA employees were caught off guard.

“We were as surprised as anyone,” he said. “We were a little bit flabbergasted.”

Onyango has lived in Boston public housing for five years, McGonagle said.

“She has been an exemplary resident,” he said.

She received a small stipend over the past year for working six hours a week as a volunteer resident health advocate in her complex, he said.

Little else is known about her.

Onyango had conversations with several BHA employees in recent days about her blood ties to the senator, McGonagle said. She proudly displays photos of Obama, including some that appear as old as 25 years, inside her first-floor apartment, McGonagle said.

A message left at Onyango’s apartment was not returned.

McGonagle asked that the media respect Onyango’s privacy.

“She is feeling very put upon,” he said.

http://bostonherald....amp;format=text

Welcome to Joe the plumbers world Auntie.

#3 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Barack Obama’s family in Kenya stops media interviews

October 30th, 2008

By ERIC OLOO

The Kenya family of US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has halted all media engagements until after the US presidential election on November 4 .

The move has been taken to give Obama’s paternal grandmother, Mama Sarah Onyango Obama a break, according to a family member Mr Said Obama.

In the recent past, a battery of local and international journalists have been visiting the home on a daily basis to seek interviews from the 85-year old granny.

But Mr Said Obama said the family would open up to the media on November 5, a day after the elections.

And on Wednesday, Siaya District police chief Mr Johnston Ipara said security officers would restrict entry to the home to ensure the family privacy is guaranteed

“People who visit the family’s home in K’Ogelo will be restrained from conducting interviews to the family members,” he said

Mr Ipara added the move was taken to ensure that people, especially the media, do not pre-empt the outcome of the US elections by using comments from the family members.

“We do not want Mama Sarah Obama to be disturbed at the moment she needs time to monitor the elections as they unfold,” said Ipara.

He said all visitors to the home would be thoroughly screened by the police before being allowed in.

Obamamania

Meanwhile, Obamamania continued to grip Kisumu town and its environs as hawkers cashed in on the craze to sell branded T-shirts, caps and badges.

Dancehalls have also recorded a high number of songs recorded in vernacular languages in praise of the US presidential candidate whose father was Kenyan.

http://www.ethiopian...w.com/news/3524

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

If Obama can't even help her out, (you all know Obama is a millionaire right?) I don't know how anyone could have faith in him in the helping out of non-relatives. Didn't Obama give a speech saying, "I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper"? Yes, he most certainly did. Yet he lets his brother live in Kenya earning upwards of $12 a month, and his aunt is living in the slums of Boston using a metal stick as a cane because she doesn't have enough money to buy a real cane. You'd think Obama would atleast fork-out $100 for a nice cane for the poor, poverty stricken woman??

Dwell on that thought for awhile and get back with me.

#5 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:46 AM

If Obama can't even help her out, (you all know Obama is a millionaire right?) I don't know how anyone could have faith in him in the helping out of non-relatives. Didn't Obama give a speech saying, "I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper"? Yes, he most certainly did. Yet he lets his brother live in Kenya earning upwards of $12 a month, and his aunt is living in the slums of Boston using a metal stick as a cane because she doesn't have enough money to buy a real cane. You'd think Obama would atleast fork-out $100 for a nice cane for the poor, poverty stricken woman??

i think obama doesn't want to re-distribute his wealth to his poor relative

#6 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

i think obama doesn't want to re-distribute his wealth to his poor relative

Or his brother in Kenya who lives on less than one dollar a day. You know... Obama: "Time to be your brother's keeper"

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:52 AM

Does he even know this woman? Or his "brother"? I think you probably mean half brother. John McCain left his wife and family to chase after a 24 year old beauty queen. Dwell on that thought for a while and get back to me.

#8 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

Does he even know this woman?

Apparently Obama mentioned her in one of his books and she also attended his swearing in ceremony for the U.S. Senate in 2004. So it appears that he does know her.

http://www.timesonli...l...t=12&page=2

She attended Obama's swearing-in to the US Senate in 2004, but campaign officials said Obama provided no assistance in getting her a tourist visa and he does not know the details of her stay.

#9 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

Apparently Obama mentioned her in one of his books and she also attended his swearing in ceremony for the U.S. Senate in 2004. So it appears that he does know her.

That shows how much niner is up-to-date...

#10 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:43 AM

when he's prez, he'll have the power to help his own family , a presidential pardon like bill clinton doled out to his half-brother roger clinton

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users