• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How stressful is adrafinil on the liver?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Do I not want to take it on a regular basis?

#2 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

I've wondered this too. Adrafinil is probably my favorite drug, even over modafinil - which has a negative effect on cognitive performance for me, and gives me insomnia. Adrafinil, on the other hand, relieves depression, keeps me awake but not over-stimulated, and has numerous cognitive benefits. Plus, its legal. But, I can only take it on and off for fear of liver damage.

I would be very interested in more specific information on the potential risks

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

I would be very interested in more specific information on the potential risks

Adrafinil has been linked to increased liver enzymes and orofacial dyskinesia.

In case you don't know what the latter is:

Orofacial or tardive dyskinesias are involuntary repetitive movements of the mouth and face. In most cases, they occur in older psychotic patients who are in institutions and in whom long-term treatment with antipsychotic drugs of the phenothiazine and butyrophenone groups is being carried out. These dyskinesias are frequent in occurrence and characteristically are irreversible. Several biochemical mechanisms have been proposed as causes, including hypersensitivity or partially deneverated brain dopamine receptors and low affinity of the offending drugs for brain muscarinic cholinergic receptors. Clinical therapy has been attempted primarily with drugs that antagonize dopamine receptors or deplete brain dopamine. The benefits of drug treatment have been variable and lack of consistent improvement has been discouraging. Early recognition of dyskinesia should be attempted, and the dose reduced or the drug omitted at the first sign.

http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1237309

Think of it this way. If you really want to improve your health and increase your lifespan, it is common-sense not to take adrafinil. The benefits do not outweigh the risks. Everything I've read points that the results obtained from this chemical are marginal at best.

It is like taking massive amounts of NSAIDS everyday to relieve a headache that you could relieve by just drinking more water because you were dehydrated to begin with. In this case, better alternatives such as the racetams, choline supps, modafinil, or caffeine would be the water.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this stuff.
  • like x 2

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:37 AM

A similar movement disorder was reported with Modafinil http://neuro.psychia...t/full/18/2/248

The incidence of these disorders is in <2% of treated people so personally I don't see it as a huge concern. It is not related to Adrafinil's effect on the liver but rather is related to both Adrafinil and Modafinil's effects on the dopamine and norepinephrine systems.

The liver issue with Adrafinil is basically that your liver extensively metabolizes it (frankly your liver extensively metabolizes most drugs and some are harsher on it than others, one of the harshest drugs on your liver is Tylenol much more so than Adrafinil). If you have normal liver enzymes no history of or family history of liver disease, don't drink a lot then Adrafinil is not such a bad thing. Seeing as you can get an equivalent dose Modafinil for almost the same price as Adrafinil then I would go with Modafinil for a long term solution (if you could call a stimulant a long term solution for anything) but short term use of Adrafinil is probably not going to hurt you any more than short term use of Tylenol.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

A similar movement disorder was reported with Modafinil http://neuro.psychia...t/full/18/2/248

The incidence of these disorders is in <2% of treated people so personally I don't see it as a huge concern. It is not related to Adrafinil's effect on the liver but rather is related to both Adrafinil and Modafinil's effects on the dopamine and norepinephrine systems.

The liver issue with Adrafinil is basically that your liver extensively metabolizes it (frankly your liver extensively metabolizes most drugs and some are harsher on it than others, one of the harshest drugs on your liver is Tylenol much more so than Adrafinil). If you have normal liver enzymes no history of or family history of liver disease, don't drink a lot then Adrafinil is not such a bad thing. Seeing as you can get an equivalent dose Modafinil for almost the same price as Adrafinil then I would go with Modafinil for a long term solution (if you could call a stimulant a long term solution for anything) but short term use of Adrafinil is probably not going to hurt you any more than short term use of Tylenol.

Adrafinil is much cheaper than modafinil. But I'm gonna skip this stuff. After a couple days it made me horribly paranoid at night, even though I took it in the morning.

#6 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Thanks a lot for this info, Edward.

I would go with Modafinil, since I do believe it is safer, but Adrafinil has specific effects on me that Modafinil does not, and more importantly, Modafinil has some negative side effects for me.

I'm curious as to the specifics on what Tylenol does to the liver vs Adrafinil vs other drugs that are hard on the liver. Can you give me a source so I can do some more research?

On average I take 1-2 300mg adrafinil pills every other day or so. I also drink a few ounces of alcohol most evenings. I just had a liver enzyme check a month ago and everything is normal, so I'm crossing my fingers..

Thanks again

Edited by Declmem, 18 November 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#7 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:44 AM

Damn...

I find it very concerning that both adrafinal and modafinil have been linked to orofacial or tardive dyskinesias.

As far as I know Modifinil is a relatively new substance (7-6 years). Even though the related prevalence rates of orofacial or tardive dyskinesias are low now, maybe it is something that takes time to develop? 20 years from now there could be a significant portion of Modafinil/Adrafinil users with these problems which are incurable.

Maybe I am paranoid? but it sounds like something worthy to consider.

Thoughts?

Edited by Steve_86, 20 November 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#8 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

Damn...

I find it very concerning that both adrafinal and modafinil have been linked to orofacial or tardive dyskinesias.

As far as I know Modifinil is a relatively new substance (7-6 years). Even though the related prevalence rates of orofacial or tardive dyskinesias are low now, maybe it is something that takes time to develop? 20 years from now there could be a significant portion of Modafinil/Adrafinil users with these problems which are incurable.

Thoughts?

That is exactly one of my major concerns as well. It may not give you those nasty problems right away, but there surely have not been any long-term studies done with either! Scary indeed...

#9 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:56 AM

Damn...

Thoughts?

That is exactly one of my major concerns as well. It may not give you those nasty problems right away, but there surely have not been any long-term studies done with either! Scary indeed...

Wasn't Adrafinil invented circa mid-20th century by Group Lafon in France ? there's gotta be some observations/speculations in the decades since

i didn't know adra/modafinil could cause the condition like orofacial or tardive dyskinesias, just hoping if they occur, there'll be a cure.

but I haven't used it in weeks (low dose trial at that). Long-term stress could be there, but if only use off and on, as needed, then i believe there's negligible damage to body

Edited by HYP86, 21 November 2008 - 07:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 MachiavellianMindset

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

Does anyone have any new research on this? This is definitely a thought that I have had, although with so many users of modafinil and adrafinil out there now, I still have not heard anything about any direct correlation with orofacial or tardive dyskinesias. 

Scary thought indeed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users