• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Paranoid Florida Congresswoman Hangs Up on Obama Twice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Iam Empathy

• 429 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

http://www.politico....bama_Twice.html

December 03, 2008

Is Ileana Ros-Lehtinen a little paranoid?

Maybe.

On Wednesday, the Republican congresswoman got a call from President-elect Barack Obama, didn't believe it was him, and hung up on him. Twice.

According to Ros-Lehtinen's flack Alex Cruz, the congresswoman received the call on her cell phone from a Chicago-based number and an aide informed her that Obama wanted to speak to her. When Obama introduced himself, Ros-Lehtinen cut him off and said, "I'm sorry but I think this is a joke from one of the South Florida radio stations known for these pranks." Then she hung up.

Moments later, Obama tried again, this time through his soon-to-be chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel.

"Ileana, I cannot believe you hung up on the President-Elect," Emanuel said. And then--yes, you know what's coming--she hung up on Emanuel saying she "didn't believe the call was legitimate."

A short time later, Ros-Lehtinen received an urgent call from Rep. Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, who informed her that she indeed hung up on Obama.

So, Obama tried again and this time he was successful. (Phew!)

"It is very funny that you have twice hung up on me," Obama said. Ros Lehtinen responded by telling Obama that radio stations in South Florida always make these sorts of jokes. Obama said similar pranksters reside in Chi-town.

"You are either very gracious to reach out in such a bipartisan manner or had run out of folks to call if you are truly calling me and Saturday Night Live could use a good Obama impersonator like you," Ros-Lehtinen joked with the president-elect.

Ros-Lehtinen then congratulated Obama on his victory and pledged to work together on behalf of all Americans. She also asked Obama to call Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) and Rep. Albio Sire (D-NJ) to discuss Cuba policy.

Here's hoping they don't hang up on him.

#2 Korimyr the Rat

• 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

Can hardly blame her, considering the ration of shit Governor Palin received for falling for a similar prank during the campaign.

Glad the matter was finally resolved, though.

#3 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

Can hardly blame her, considering the ration of shit Governor Palin received for falling for a similar prank during the campaign.

Glad the matter was finally resolved, though.

No, you can't blame her. Personally, I don't really care for radio show hosts who do this sort of thing. It's pretty juvenille. These are our public officials and they are on our dime. I'm sure Obama and this congresswoman have better things they could be doing with their time.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

I cant believe these people (top politicians) haven't found a secure way to contact each-other by now. It would be pretty easy to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users