Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Methuselah Foundation Website Updated

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

The new Methuselah Foundation website became available today: www.MFoundation.org

The website is very promising and is the first of several website refreshes to be launched by life extension, transhumanism, and related organizations in the coming months. I am especially appreciative of the video clips on the front page of Aubrey de Grey and researchers we all know and love. In fact, the website inspired me to restart my monthly "300" payments that I had paused earlier this year.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

Very cool.

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

It's a nice website however, John when you talked about lysosens you mentioned that you chose lysosens because it's seems to be the most likely therapeutic to occur in the short term and that if this is the case you will "either get money or credibility or both. That is Lysosens.". WTF?! that really surprised me because I thought the idea of finding a cure to aging was to minimise the fragility that comes with aging and hence the suffering that it causes. NOT for the money or credibility. That thought is sickening but an all to common situation these days. *hangs head*

#4 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Agreed.. Nice site.

Better off getting the PI's talking rather than graduate students!

Also agreed on John S.. Talk about money and credibility as being the desired outcome of research is not for public consumption!

#5 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

He wants to pick the low hanging fruit first to increase money and public awareness as soon as possible. That would save many lives if the other areas of SENS are accomplished quicker and are effective. What's the issue?

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

I wonder what Karl Marx would have to say about it if he were here today. Probably something about being incompatible with the current super incumbent strata of official society.

Anyway I love the website and it looks very professional but Justin's hat looks a little silly :)

Edited by caston, 11 December 2008 - 02:25 PM.

#7 Richard Leis

• Topic Starter
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

It's a nice website however, John when you talked about lysosens you mentioned that you chose lysosens because it's seems to be the most likely therapeutic to occur in the short term and that if this is the case you will "either get money or credibility or both. That is Lysosens.". WTF?! that really surprised me because I thought the idea of finding a cure to aging was to minimise the fragility that comes with aging and hence the suffering that it causes. NOT for the money or credibility. That thought is sickening but an all to common situation these days. *hangs head*

The money or credibility for Methuselah Foundation to pursue the other SENS research projects. A success with LysoSENS will certainly do this and money and credibility are noble goals AND requirements for any research project.

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Is there any thought about going into their same software and upgrades here?

Its benefits would be that we would get around a lot of the problems that occur with this software and that any problems we would have with Methuselahs same software could be handled eaiser by getting help from them and vice versa. It might also help get more cross participation between the two organizations.

The only negative I can think of is cost. Does anybody know the general cost of Methuselahs new programming? I have no idea.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

The only negative I can think of is cost. Does anybody know the general cost of Methuselahs new programming? I have no idea.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but it looks expensive. Our overhaul (forums, front page, other modules) earlier this year was around $3,000 (not exact, I'll have to go back and look) and that cost was low due to the fact that Bruce put a lot of time into it for free.

I like the look of the new MF site. It is simple but effective. Large eye-catching pictures are nice.

#10 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

Umm without credibility we can't convince the rest of the world to work on this. If we can show there is money to be had big pharma might throw its weight in. I'm not interested in curing aging in some. Ideal fantasy world. I'm interested in curing aging in this one.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

I wonder what Karl Marx would have to say about it if he were here today. Probably something about being incompatible with the current super incumbent strata of official society.

Anyway I love the website and it looks very professional but Justin's hat looks a little silly :)

Hey. You can say whatever you want about me, but don't knock the hat

#12 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:48 AM

He wants to pick the low hanging fruit first to increase money and public awareness as soon as possible. That would save many lives if the other areas of SENS are accomplished quicker and are effective. What's the issue?

If the low hanging fruit, as you call it, can be picked - and let me suggest you don't trivialize it as in itself it is a very ambitious project - it implies huge benefits for treating all sorts of things including cardiovascular disease, then the message should resonate with delivering innovative healthcare solutions which pave the way for the grand solution.. Consequently, to treat lysosens solely as an exercise in fund raising and credibility building is selling it, and sens short.

That is the issue. :)

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

The money or credibility for Methuselah Foundation to pursue the other SENS research projects. A success with LysoSENS will certainly do this and money and credibility are noble goals AND requirements for any research project.

Umm without credibility we can't convince the rest of the world to work on this. If we can show there is money to be had big pharma might throw its weight in.

Of course these things are needed however developing credibility and ca$h are things you do to develop and strengthen a brand not sell the brand. The new website is selling the brand to the mainstream as well and not just to potential stakeholders. MF is in a prime position to sell the meme to the masses to to it's exposure and I don't think it is being sold very well by John on the front page.

The first paragraph of the mission statement is as follows

"The Methuselah Foundation is a non-profit medical charity dedicated to extending healthy human life. The Foundation's strategy will accelerate progress toward a comprehensive cure for age-related disease, disability, and suffering"

followed by

"Aging is a thief that robs us of our most precious resource — the wisdom and experience embodied in every human life — even as it increases the burden on our strained healthcare systems. The application of technology to the diseases of the young has resulted in many more individuals surviving to enjoy life at ages rarely experienced in past human history. It is now time for a new generation of medical therapies to cure the diseases emerging with longer life as a result of the degenerative biological aging process.

The ultimate goal of the Foundation is therefore nothing less than the defeat of age-related disease and suffering. Supported through the private donations of individuals and organizations that share this common vision, the Foundation has become an agent of change, replacing resignation toward the suffering of aging with a new understanding of how a new kind of biomedicine can rejuvenate the aging body into renewed health and vigor."

John did not mention anything about the above. yes he mentioned some of the issues that can occur as a result of aging but did not discuss what can come out of conducting research into these areas apart from the mention of gaining cred and cash.

Edited by zoolander, 12 December 2008 - 03:53 AM.

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:00 AM

If the low hanging fruit, as you call it, can be picked - and let me suggest you don't trivialize it as in itself it is a very ambitious project -

Actually, it's what John calls it in the video.

Consequently, to treat lysosens solely as an exercise in fund raising and credibility building is selling it, and sens short.

He was talking about why he personally chose LysoSENS to focus on, not the ramifications of the success of the experiments. These interviews seemed to be aimed at getting to know the researchers, not to quote the SENS write-up.

#15 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:31 AM

If the low hanging fruit, as you call it, can be picked - and let me suggest you don't trivialize it as in itself it is a very ambitious project -

Actually, it's what John calls it in the video.

Consequently, to treat lysosens solely as an exercise in fund raising and credibility building is selling it, and sens short.

He was talking about why he personally chose LysoSENS to focus on, not the ramifications of the success of the experiments. These interviews seemed to be aimed at getting to know the researchers, not to quote the SENS write-up.

Cool. Thanks for explaining it. However, you're not helping by defending a poor presentation to the public.

#16 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:26 AM

I think it's pretty clear that John is saying he thinks positive results in one area will ammount to further funding and repsectability, which is a perfectly sensible goal. But yeah, maybe he could have worded it better. To casual ears it could sound like a self interested and careerist statement!

#17 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:04 AM

Posted Image

#18 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:56 AM

Yikes Zoolander.

#19 Richard Leis

• Topic Starter
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

Zoolander, that is absolutely NOT what John said during the video clip. I went back to listen and he specifically used "we" - meaning Methuselah Foundation - and said they are seeking money and credibility through LysoSENS "so we can do all the rest", meaning the other SENS research projects. Not once does he suggest personal monetary or credibility gains, and speaks only of the Foundation.

The message is clear: success with LysoSENS will support the rest of the SENS project by bringing in funding (money) and validating the approach (credibility).

#20 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:34 AM

Indeed he never said me - he said WE!

There's nothing wrong with seeking funding and credibility (which is, after all, the lifeblood of researchers).

Where I thought the message could have been improved on - given that those clips are for the public rather than exclusively for imminsters/mfoundationeers - is in emphasizing the great clinical benefits of lysosens research.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Zoolander, that is absolutely NOT what John said during the video clip. I went back to listen and he specifically used "we" - meaning Methuselah Foundation - and said they are seeking money and credibility through LysoSENS "so we can do all the rest", meaning the other SENS research projects. Not once does he suggest personal monetary or credibility gains, and speaks only of the Foundation.

The message is clear: success with LysoSENS will support the rest of the SENS project by bringing in funding (money) and validating the approach (credibility).

Ha, Zoolander took to the ball and ran with it all the way, in the wrong direction. *!Touch Back!*

Posted Image

But that is still hilarious.

Edited by brokenportal, 12 December 2008 - 07:39 AM.

#22 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

It can be argued whether John's statement is good/bad for MF and whether it could be improved, however, personally I don't mind if life extension researchers get into the field in order to get rich. Whatever it takes to motivate them to work long hours to reverse aging is good with me.

Raise your hand if you work for free - just for the good of society, the earth, and the universe.

#23 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

Remember also that the MF itself realizes the value of getting "cashed up". They offer large amounts of prize money to researchers who can extend the lifespans or reverse aging in mice.

#24 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

I simply couldn't resist. My humour demon got the better of me.

#25 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:04 PM

Your humor demon is pretty sharp. (that is a compliment)

#26 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

It's never been about cash. It's all about the Boats n Hoes.

#27 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

It can be argued whether John's statement is good/bad for MF and whether it could be improved, however, personally I don't mind if life extension researchers get into the field in order to get rich. Whatever it takes to motivate them to work long hours to reverse aging is good with me.

Raise your hand if you work for free - just for the good of society, the earth, and the universe.

May as well be working for free - research scientists' salaries are pretty ordinary, which is why if they want to make real money they stop researching and get into patent law.

Unless they're working on 'the next big thing'. :)

#28 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

May as well be working for free - research scientists' salaries are pretty ordinary, which is why if they want to make real money they stop researching and get into patent law.

Unless they're working on 'the next big thing'. :)

How many of us wouldnt work at a life extension marketing building that provided the essentials, maybe even a sleeping cubicle like the japanese have in their motels, (saw it in another topic around here, cant remember which one) for food and a common roof to save money so we could buckle down on the cause? I would, I would sell all my stuff to help build it. I only need a couple suit cases worth of stuff anyways. We become slaves to our possesions. I read someplace that Einstein bought all his clothes so they looked the same so he wouldnt have to waste time figuring out what to wear in the morning. That kind of mentality will take us places. Maybe even to the edges of the universe.

Im for the biggest salaries possible for Methuselah researchers because I know they will pour most of it back into the cause.

#29 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Attached File  jsposter.gif   43.07KB   25 downloads

#30 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, thanks for the dose of reality! It is kind of funny that a bunch of life-extensionists are up in arms because John said he might be in the business for motivations that aren't entirely altruistic. Look in the mirror, people. You aren't life-extensionists, because you want Joe in Somalia to have his life extended; you're in it, because you want your own life extended. If someone else also benefits, sure, great, swell, but that's not the prime motivation for 99.9 % of folks here. And anyone who tells me otherwise, I call BS on immediately.

So stop with the hypocrisy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users