• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Open government open for questions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 william7

• 1,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

What does anybody think about President Obama's website Change.Gov, at http://change.gov/pa...217_private_url? Think it would be worthwhile to submit questions related to antiaging science and healthcare?

Can anybody see the "submit question" button on the webpage? I see a "search questions" button, a "save" button, and a "view questions" button. I don't see a "submit question" button.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

I can see the "submit" button on my side. Perhaps that option is only available to the non-fundementalist citizens of the world. Have you tried logging on from an internet cafe outside of texas that doesn't yield a picture of the last supper in the entrance? give that a shot

#3 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

I can see the "submit" button on my side. Perhaps that option is only available to the non-fundementalist citizens of the world. Have you tried logging on from an internet cafe outside of texas that doesn't yield a picture of the last supper in the entrance? give that a shot

I'm about to yell conspiracy and sue for infringement of my political rights. This is a democracy!

Yeah, I figure this has something to do with my computer. Back to the drawing boards!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

I'm interested in what sort of question you would ask the president of the most powerful* country in the world

*powerful meaning the ability to manipulate

#5 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

I'm interested in what sort of question you would ask the president of the most powerful* country in the world

"Show me your birth certificate"? At least, that is the most important issue I could think about, but maybe I'm a little short sighted.

#6 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

I want to suggest that President Obama seriously consider making hoop house greenhouses a part of his public works project. They could be put up by schools, community centers, parks, churches, jails and prisons. I'm a big believer that local food production can save energy, conserve natural resources, reduce pollution and provide much healthier and affordable food choices for people who are suffering from diet-related diseases.

I think Growing Power plans to communicate with President Obama on this issue. See my thread on the ABC News video about the CEO of Growing Power at http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=24994. Do you think this issue is a winner?

Here's another good video, below, calling for local food production and a vegan diet. I figure putting long hours in a hoop house greenhouse and eating the vegan food I produce should add up to a much longer lifespan. Think of all the fresh air, instead of polluted air, you would breathe. That's got to add up to a few more extra years at least. Good for the brain cells to I think.

#7 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

You're not very good at playing monopoly are you elijah3

Edited by zoolander, 30 December 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#8 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:26 AM

"Show me your birth certificate"?

I think that issue is nothing but a redherring. To me it would be real petty to deny Obama the presidency, if it were discovered he was born outside the United States. As long as the mother was an American citizen and he lived a significant portion of his life in the United States, should be all that really matters. At first glance the constitution seems to support it. The U.S. Constitution, Article 2, Section 1, says:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President."

The word "or" is used here to provide an alternative scenario to "natural born." Every word and phrase must be construed and given some meaning. I can't believe the framers of the constitution penned the phrase "or a Citizen of the United States" without a reason.

Edited by elijah3, 31 December 2008 - 12:27 AM.

#9 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

You're not very good at playing monopoly are you elijah3

Naw, I'm not too good when it comes to monetary systems real or play. What's this got to do with Obama and the possibility of him making hoop house greenhouses a part of his public works project?

#10 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

Think of all the fresh air, instead of polluted air, you would breathe. That's got to add up to a few more extra years at least. Good for the brain cells to I think.

Seee! What did I tell you? All we got do is get Obama's attention on it. Anybody got any suggestions?

Study: Cleaner air adds 5 months to US life span

By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer Alicia Chang, Ap Science Writer – Wed Jan 21, 6:31 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – Cleaner air over the past two decades has added nearly five months to average life expectancy in the United States, according to a federally funded study. Researchers said it is the first study to show that reducing air pollution translates into longer lives.

Between 1978 and 2001, Americans' average life span increased almost three years to 77, and as much as 4.8 months of that can be attributed to cleaner air, researchers from Brigham Young University and Harvard School of Public Health reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

Some experts not connected with the study called the gain dramatic.

"It shows that our efforts as a country to control air pollution have been well worth the expense," said Dr. Joel Kaufman, a University of Washington expert on environmental health.

Scientists have long known that the grit in polluted air, or particulates, can lodge deep in the lungs and raise the risk of lung disease, heart attacks and strokes. The grit — made of dust, soot and various chemicals — comes from factories, power plants and diesel-powered vehicles.

In 1970, Congress passed a revised Clean Air Act that gave the Environmental Protection Agency the power to set and enforce national standards to protect people from particulate matter, carbon monoxide and other pollutants.

The law is widely credited with improving the nation's air quality through such things as catalytic converters on cars and scrubbers at new factories.

For the study, scientists used government data to track particulate pollution levels over two decades in 51 U.S. cities. They compared these changes to life expectancies calculated from death records and census data. They adjusted the results to take into account other things that might affect life expectancy, such as smoking habits, income, education and migration.

On average, particulate matter levels fell from 21 micrograms per cubic meter of air to 14 micrograms per cubic meter in the cities studied. At the same time, Americans lived an average 2.72 years longer.

"We saw that communities that had larger reductions in air pollution on average had larger increases in life expectancies," said the study's lead author, C. Arden Pope III, a Brigham Young epidemiologist.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo, N.Y., which made the most progress cleaning up their air, saw life spans increase by about 10 months. Los Angeles, Indianapolis and St. Louis were among the cities that saw gains in life expectancy of around five months.

The study was partly funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and EPA.

"This finding provides direct confirmation of the population health benefits of mitigating air pollution," Daniel Krewski, who does pollution research at the University of Ottawa in Canada, wrote in an accompanying editorial.

In a statement, the EPA said such studies provide critical information that can help the agency set standards on particulates. EPA data show that average particulate levels nationally have fallen 11 percent since 2000.

Last year, government researchers reported that U.S. life expectancy has surpassed 78 years for the first time. They attributed the increase to falling mortality rates for nine of the 15 leading causes of death, including heart disease, cancer, accidents and diabetes.

http://news.yahoo.co...ollution_health

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users