* * * * * 1 votes

New Adopt a rig for Folding @ Home plan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chungenhung

• Guest, F@H
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

Since I've been having such troubles with my ISP, I've decided to go ahead with the Folding @ Home adapt a rig plan.
Any trusted member on this forum who can afford to fold the PC 24/7 is eligible.
The Terms and Conditions for accepting my personal rigs are as follows:
1. Must be trusted member. Vowed by members on this board. This is necessary to screen out Scammers.
2. The rig will be sent out by me or anyone who wishes to donate the hardware.
3. The folding rig will be installed with hardware and software configured to run F@H and BOINC program for unused CPU time.
I personally prefer to install GPUs for Folding @ Home, and use the CPU for BOINC applications such as Rosetta and World Community Grid.
4. All of my personal rigs will be built using Compact Flash cards to eliminate the need of a HDD. It is silent and less prone to damage during shipment or failure during the life of the rig. It also reduces noise and unecessary heat.
5. Person accepting the rig must do his/her best to keep the machine up 24/7. Minor outages is understandable.
6. The rigs life is determined to be 1-2 years. If the rig is too old to produce much PPD when compared to the technology at that time, it should be considered end of life. Eg., all Pentium 4 and dual core processors are considered end of life to me, as quad cores and GPUs are lot faster.
7. At the end of the rigs life, the member that accepted the rig can do whatever he/she wants to. There is no need to sell the rig and send me back the money. It will be much hassle and the rig won't be worth too much anyways.
8. Preference is of course to U.S.A members. To avoid sky high shipping costs.
9. When you adopt the rig, you must run the rig at least half of the time under my desired username. Eg., out of a month, I am expecting 15 days running for me. The later 15 days the member can decide on their own.
Of course, you can run the whole month for me if you want to. Generally I like the first 15 days for me for all rigs, so I don't have to check everyday for the whole month.
10. In order for me to keep up with who's running for me and which member is a scammer, I am going to impose a different username on each rig I sent out.
11. Each rig will have WinXP, GPU2, BOINC, and logmein installed. You can reinstall the PC if you would like to, but must be running GPU2 and BOINC.
12. A ghost image will be available, in case the system crashed. It would save a lot of headache to not reinstall windows etc all over again.
13. Gaming is allowed on the rig, as long as I still get my half of the time running F@H.
Eg., chungenhung1, chungenhung2, chungenhung3, ....... n, etc. Currently I already have some set up.
14. The member that received the rig will be posted here with there username and the rig number that I've assigned. That way forum members can know who is cheating and who's not.

The rigs that I would send out should be rigs capable of doing at least 10K PPD.
In addition, I will measure the power usage (wattage), so the member can estimate his/her ability to pay the power company if run 24/7.
It would be nice to have someone with real cheap power to run it. Perhaps some members can help pay for it too. But that's a whole different story.

The ultimate goal for me here is to produce a total of 100K PPD, and push this group to top 10.
I've dreamed about having a huge farm, but I don't have the place to house it. I will discuss that in another thread.

Anything more that I should add?
please don't post useless comments. Also, the rigs are not ready yet, as I am installing windows xp and use ghost to create an image of it.
Details on the hardware specs will be posted with the Rig number assigned.
Please no PMs asking for rigs at this time. If you can agree to the above terms and conditions, just simply state so in your reply, so I can know who to contact when the rigs are ready.

#2 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hi chungenhung. I have ideal environments to run a rig for you.

I agree to the above terms and conditions wholeheartedly. Will run it under your name for the 1st thru 15th or 16th of every month

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Chung is only requiring 15 days of folding under his name in order to adopt a rig, but let me cordially suggest that any adopters try to run a full month 24/7 under chung's username. I know it is not necessary, but it is the right thing to do. :)

#4 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

I volunteer myself to run one of your rigs. PM me for more details; I'm already folding pretty heavily, so you know I take this seriously.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

I agree to the terms. I'll fold for you 24/7 for sure.

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

I would definitely like to run a rig.
My current laptop is too slow to contribute much.

But there's a caveat.
I might be moving in the next few months, and there might be a temporary break in folding at that time.

#7 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

It's been almost a month; I haven't heard from chungenhung, has anybody else?

#8 j0lt_c0la

• Guest, F@H
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

If someone is still needed, I would be able to do this (assuming the thing isn't freaking, ridiculously huge), since my internet and power are both paid for in my room and board. I don't have time to play video games with my major (Engineering Physics w/ Computer Science specialty), so it'd run F@H nearly all the time!

#9 chungenhung

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

Sorry it took so long. You can adopt the rig, or you can buy the rig in the for sale thread here

Computer Name: Comp09
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz w/ stock cooler
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB
HDD: Sandisk Extreme III
Motherboard: MSI P6N Diamond
Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W ToughPower
Case: Antec NSK4480
Operating System: WinXP SP3
GPUs:
Comp9 1 Palit 8800GT OC
Comp9 2 Palit 8800GT OC
Comp9 3 eVGA 8800GT Dual Slot
Comp9 4 eVGA 8800GT SuperClocked
Maximum Power Consumption: 605 Watts

#10 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:17 AM

Sorry it took so long. You can adopt the rig, or you can buy the rig in the for sale thread here

Computer Name: Comp09
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz w/ stock cooler
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 2x1GB
HDD: Sandisk Extreme III
Motherboard: MSI P6N Diamond
Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W ToughPower
Case: Antec NSK4480
Operating System: WinXP SP3
GPUs:
Comp9 1 Palit 8800GT OC
Comp9 2 Palit 8800GT OC
Comp9 3 eVGA 8800GT Dual Slot
Comp9 4 eVGA 8800GT SuperClocked
Maximum Power Consumption: 605 Watts

Don't know if you would consider me a "trusted member" but I would like to volunteer as a host. I work 12 hours a day on my laptop, so my desktop sits idle 90% of the time doing little more than acting as a storage medium. I am running the F@H program now, but as I am running a very old rig, with a single core P4 and an obsolete gpu, my contribution is negligable. I am interested in being able to do more, but financial situations prevent me from upgrading equipment. However, as my net and electric are covered in my rent, running a rig 24/7 with the sole down times being when my ISP hiccups (which happens maybe once every few months) or when I have to reboot, is not a problem. Nor do I have any issues with running it full time under your name, I'm far more interested in making a contribution than in receiving credit for it. The terms and conditions you have stated are fair, and I would be willing to sign a legal contract to meet them without a qualm.

#11 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for getting back to us (and thanks to PetaKia checking the status of adopt a rig plan). I'm just a college student now, so don't have means to buy dedicated rigs to run FAH fulltime. I'd like to compensate chungenhung in future though. I will pay for all the shipping for receiving and sending rig.

Since I've paid for a year of room/board w/ unlimited electricity, broadband/wireless internet paid for too, I can run it under chungenhung's username 24/7 (doubling folding time in my post above, #2). It'll be ~dedicated comp, always crunching for chungenhung. At the end of the year, I can send chun the money or ship rig back to chungenhung.

Edited by HYP86, 01 March 2009 - 02:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users