Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol and Depresion drugs

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gemon

• 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

Sombody help..I have treatment for depresion, I take 2 medicines Amitriptyne 12 mgs. and clonazepam .5 mg, I need comments about use of Resveratrol,
and adverse effect or interaction with this meds. thanks

#2 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

I dont think they will interact. I would take them 2 hours apart from each other though and strongly monitor for any possible interactions. Resveratrol is not psychotropic, although continued use may enhance mood.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:23 AM

Sombody help..I have treatment for depresion, I take 2 medicines Amitriptyne 12 mgs. and clonazepam .5 mg, I need comments about use of Resveratrol,

Neither Amitriptyne nor clonazepam are recommended to be taken with MAO inhibitors. Resveratrol is an MAO inhibitor. There could be an undesirable interaction.

Antioxidant activity of resveratrol closely correlates with its monoamine oxidase-A inhibitory activity
Journal Archives of Pharmacal Research

Publisher Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
ISSN 0253-6269 (Print) 1976-3786 (Online)

Issue Volume 13, Number 2 / June, 1990
Category Original Articles
DOI 10.1007/BF02857789
Pages 132-135

PDF (229.0 KB)Free Preview
Original Articles
Antioxidant activity of resveratrol closely correlates with its monoamine oxidase-A inhibitory activity
Yong Nam Han1 , Shi Yong Ryu1 and Byung Hoon Han1

(1) Natural Products Research Institute, Seoul National University, 110-460 Seoul, Korea

Received: 27 February 1990

Abstract Polyhydroxystilbenes including resveratrol were reported to competitively inhibit monoamine oxidase-A without structural relation with substrates and synthetic inhibitors for the enzyme. We attempt to explore a plausible mechanism for their inhibitory activity on MAO-A. All the polyhydroxystilbenes tested showed the antioxidant activity on liver homogenate. Furthermore, the antioxidant activity turned out to closely correlate with the MAO-A inhibitory activity.

Edited by maxwatt, 13 February 2009 - 04:23 AM.

#4 gemon

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Neither Amitriptyne nor clonazepam are recommended to be taken with MAO inhibitors. Resveratrol is an MAO inhibitor. There could be an undesirable interaction.

DOI 10.1007/BF02857789
Pages 132-135

Original Articles

(1) Natural Products Research Institute, Seoul National University, 110-460 Seoul, Korea

Abstract Polyhydroxystilbenes including resveratrol were reported to competitively inhibit monoamine oxidase-A without structural relation with substrates and synthetic inhibitors for the enzyme. We attempt to explore a plausible mechanism for their inhibitory activity on MAO-A. All the polyhydroxystilbenes tested showed the antioxidant activity on liver homogenate. Furthermore, the antioxidant activity turned out to closely correlate with the MAO-A inhibitory activity.

Ok. amitriptilyne is a (tricyclic IMAO) , i could to think about stopping taking it and replacing it by Reveratrol, is this correct?

Edited by gemon, 13 February 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

DOI 10.1007/BF02857789
Pages 132-135

Original Articles

Ok. amitriptilyne is a (tricyclic IMAO) , i could to think about stopping taking it and replacing it by Reveratrol, is this correct?

I am not qualified to give medical advice. What you suggest is a possibility you should discuss with your treating physician.

#6 gemon

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thanks.

it looks for the information that there is on resveratrol and nowhere encounter if it has some negative effect with these drugs, I am going to prove and I will post results.

#7 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Thanks.

it looks for the information that there is on resveratrol and nowhere encounter if it has some negative effect with these drugs, I am going to prove and I will post results.

Erm, I certainly don't recommend trying to see if there's a negative drug interaction, if that was what you were saying. Better to be safe than get seratonin poisoning.

#8 gemon

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

Thanks.

Erm, I certainly don't recommend trying to see if there's a negative drug interaction, if that was what you were saying. Better to be safe than get seratonin poisoning.

No, I do not want that, but it will try to lower the dose of the medicine and to try with resveratrol, if I have some reaction I quit the supplement, by away I take very low doses of antidepressant.

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:42 AM

For you to be ready to change your meds so rapidly makes it seem like you are very depressed right now and the meds you are taking aren't very suitable for you. If this is true, you need to discuss with your doctor about how you feel about what you are on right now.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

Thanks.

No, I do not want that, but it will try to lower the dose of the medicine and to try with resveratrol, if I have some reaction I quit the supplement, by away I take very low doses of antidepressant.

Resveratrol is not a tremendously potent MAOI. It has an IC50 of 2uM with the rat enzyme. To obtain that level in plasma would require a very large dose of resveratrol, in the neighborhood of 5 grams for ordinary resveratrol, and that level would not be maintained for long. We don't know the IC50 of the human enzyme, nor do we have solid information about the intracellular concentration of resveratrol aglycone, so there's nothing wrong with being cautious here. Serotonin syndrome is not the sort of thing you would miss; if you start feeling funny you can dial back the drugs. To be honest I don't think you will see an interaction with anything near normal doses.

#11 gemon

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

For you to be ready to change your meds so rapidly makes it seem like you are very depressed right now and the meds you are taking aren't very suitable for you. If this is true, you need to discuss with your doctor about how you feel about what you are on right now.

Right now I`m not very depressed, on the opposite I feel better I`m 2 years with these medecines and the doctor has changed to the dose of 25 mgs of amitriptilyne half to me and Clonazepam of 2 mgs to .5 mg, that is what I am taking, but I want to try with Resveratrol, but it is not possible I am going to wait for until the doctor cosidere the one that diminishes the dose of medicine until stopping taking it

Edited by gemon, 18 February 2009 - 01:46 AM.

#12 lobo11

• 18 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

I am on Xanax which could be a depression drug although that is not the reason I take it. A Dr. gave it to me 20 years ago for being alittle nervous and I got addicted to something I knew nothing about, much less being addictive. Yes I have tried to taper off it but can't. I've been taking 500mg a day of Mega Resveratrol for 3 weeks with no problems at all. So maybe Benzo's and resveratrol are OK. Hope so.

#13 ncstuart

• 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

I looked up Res specifically to see if depression is reported as a side effect, because this morning I found myself crying and sobbing for no reason. I have successfully taken Effexor 150mg and Wellbrutin 450mg for many years. This is the first time I have been depressed, save the times I had opiates post surgically. (Opiates make me miserable! Perhaps that too is the combo of antidepressants and opiates.)

I have been taking 250mg for over a week and noticing a creeping anhedonia, but now I am pretty severely miserable. in addition, my wrists have been terribly painful along with my hand joints.

One other possible twist is that I have ADD which can cause untoward results with some medications. I mention all of this so others might be aware. It is a blessing for me to have found others reporting clinical depressive symptoms. I was really in dispair and feel much better identifying the probable cause. Thanks to all of you who have posted.

I do not have time right now to do the many hours of reserch that is available on this impressive sight, but will be back to see if there is something I can do and still take some R. I suffer from occassional Fibromyalgia and hoped (magically I must admit) that R. would lessen the symptoms. One positive note is that the IBS that I usually get with the Fibro is greatly lessened.

I have been much too casual about taking this, having gotten it on iherb.com after very little research, knowing only that I do not want to order the online "free 2 week supply" hype type of pills. I forget the name of what I am taking via iberb.com, but will add that too at a later date. Any comments are very welcomed.

Edited by ncstuart, 28 April 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#14 luomoalto

• 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

Hi niner,

Can you elaborate on your comment that "Resveratrol is not a potent MAOI"? Any papers you can refer me to?

I'm taking Longevinex and Longvida (curcumin), and I've seen that both are MAOI's. Since I'm thinking about taking tianeptine, this is a concern...

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Thanks.

Resveratrol is not a tremendously potent MAOI. It has an IC50 of 2uM with the rat enzyme. To obtain that level in plasma would require a very large dose of resveratrol, in the neighborhood of 5 grams for ordinary resveratrol, and that level would not be maintained for long. We don't know the IC50 of the human enzyme, nor do we have solid information about the intracellular concentration of resveratrol aglycone, so there's nothing wrong with being cautious here. Serotonin syndrome is not the sort of thing you would miss; if you start feeling funny you can dial back the drugs. To be honest I don't think you will see an interaction with anything near normal doses.

Edited by luomoalto, 20 October 2010 - 06:10 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

I used to take Paxil for depression and the side effects of the Paxil were worse than the depression itself. I have been taking Resveratrol since March when I started working for a company that manufactures and distributes via online retail. I am no longer in need of anti-depressants, mind you not giving advice,just sharing my story. You should always consult your pcp when adding any dietary supplement to your prescription profile. I know that I am no longer pre-diabetic and I no longer have depression. My husband has been taking it too. He has been able to get off of the rat poision "warfarin/coumadin" and is constantly under the care of our pcp who is to say the least more than moderately impressed with my husbands numbers. The resveratrol that we use is Res 98 by PureandHealthy by Nu--ture, which is a micronized trans-resveratrol from the Japanese knotweed. I take 500mg a day and my husband takes 1000mg a day.

Sorry, I don't mean to go on.......I guess my point was to make sure you are under the care of a physician when you have any known medical condition so that if you have a side effect or adverse reaction both you and your doctor can discuss what is best for you.

Good luck!!
KimberlieAttached File  New Picture.bmp   336.4KB   37 downloads

Edited by maxwatt, 30 October 2010 - 12:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users