Photo
- - - - -

How safe is adderall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

Just wondering on your opinions on the safety on adderall? I have heard so many conflicting views of some people saying it's safe and other saying it isn't.

Is it mainly for focus or does it effect your mood aswell?

Does it have any adverse effects on sex drive?

Is it safe to use for a say 4 week period and drop it after that (say exam times), or do you get withdrawal from coming off?

How does it effect you socially?

#2 navyblue

• 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

I dunno, I know a lot of people myself included say that adderall tends to poop out after a week or two, then you have to up the dosage. I'd say it's not worth it. Adderall is a pretty dangerous drug (especially if you have any family history of heart problems). Always put your health first. Adderall in high doses has been known to cause irreversible damage. Also, even if the damage caused is reversible, it will probably take longer that 4 weeks to reverse it. There are many other supplements that can help you out (and are good for you too).

Below is a quote from Scientific American (magazine):

"Cocaine and amphetamines are less benign. Although they work on the brain through different mechanisms, they have similar effects. Taking them increases the release of some of the brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters—including dopamine and serotonin—and produces a rush of euphoria. They also increase alertness and energy.

That all sounds pretty good, but cocaine and amphetamines are extremely addictive drugs and in high doses they can cause psychosis and withdrawal. The withdrawal symptoms are nasty and can lead to depression, the opposite of that euphoric feeling. And of course, an overdose can kill you."

Article Found Here: http://www.sciam.com...a...&print=true

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Well, first off don't start unless you don't mind having a lifetime habit. I am not the addictive type and have dones some other things that can be very addictive with no problems but it really sneaks up on you. Not like you will end up snorting it, but I am pretty sure I will never be quitting, either.

As far as actual danger goes, I don't think it's really dangerous unless you do stupid things. You have to be careful of dehydration and make sure to take sane doses and not use it to stay up all night.

I worry a bit about neurotoxicity, but in therapeutic doses I think it's probably not a huge issue. It's also not hard to increase dopamine production even if it does get permanently lowered.

energy boost irritability mood lift -> mania focus ->OCD twitchiness/raciness/etc. insomnia socially
adderall low or none harder to irritate feel good, not 'up' very strong low very low witty, charming, talkative, clever
caffeine medium none/low moderate low high very high no change
nicotine patch high high high medium low low irritable
wellbutrin high some tiny bit low-medium some high a little more sociable, but can be irritable a while

Keep in mind what it really does is basically make you more OCD above anything else. If that is not helpful to you, adderally might actually be a hindrance instead of a help.

#4 john16

• 114 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

I dunno, I know a lot of people myself included say that adderall tends to poop out after a week or two, then you have to up the dosage. I'd say it's not worth it. Adderall is a pretty dangerous drug (especially if you have any family history of heart problems). Always put your health first. Adderall in high doses has been known to cause irreversible damage. Also, even if the damage caused is reversible, it will probably take longer that 4 weeks to reverse it. There are many other supplements that can help you out (and are good for you too).

Below is a quote from Scientific American (magazine):

"Cocaine and amphetamines are less benign. Although they work on the brain through different mechanisms, they have similar effects. Taking them increases the release of some of the brain's feel-good neurotransmitters—including dopamine and serotonin—and produces a rush of euphoria. They also increase alertness and energy.

That all sounds pretty good, but cocaine and amphetamines are extremely addictive drugs and in high doses they can cause psychosis and withdrawal. The withdrawal symptoms are nasty and can lead to depression, the opposite of that euphoric feeling. And of course, an overdose can kill you."

Article Found Here: http://www.sciam.com...a...&print=true

I would love to see some supporting research to back up your claims! The article you provided is very dull in its description of stimulants:/ What consitutes "high doses" of adderall that would cause irreversible damage? LOL wouldn't most drugs at high doses cause irreversible damage? There is just to much ambiguity in your pst to be taken seriously....

Anyway, to the OP, if you are considering adderall than i highly recommend that you see a professional so he can monitor your progress. Don't buy it from your friends, please just don't do that. Adderall IS safe when under supervision of a doctor. Make sure you tell your doctor of any medical conditions, most notably heart problems that run in your family. I currently take Adderrall XR under medical supervision and my performance in academia has improved tremendously(I have ADD)....But if you take anything from my post at all, please just don't buy it from your friends!!!!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Just wondering on your opinions on the safety on adderall? I have heard so many conflicting views of some people saying it's safe and other saying it isn't.

Is it mainly for focus or does it effect your mood aswell?

Does it have any adverse effects on sex drive?

Is it safe to use for a say 4 week period and drop it after that (say exam times), or do you get withdrawal from coming off?

How does it effect you socially?

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most dangerous drug approved for use by the FDA, Adderall gets a 6. It gets an 8 if you don't take that seriously though.

In summary, here are the risks: http://www.erowid.or...es_health.shtml
And here are the possible rewards (effects): http://www.erowid.or...s_effects.shtml

You will often see users defending it irrationally, which underscores its abuse potential. If it were me, I'd pick something else. Wait, it was me. I did pick something else. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users