- - - - -

Changing USER names to raise Immint profile in F@H

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

I've split this from the Meeting thread as I think it needs its own place for discussion. My thoughts thus far:

I know its a big deal to change the name of our team to IMMINST.ORG or Longevitymeme.org but can individual participants change their names to something like this as a form of promotion. Some of us are in the top 100 now after all So could we not be like Rocky in Rocky 1 and brazenly go into the limelight wearing an ad for Imminst, the meme or even viral marketing as ImminstFaHPrizes.

If it's a big deal I might just scrap my Sentinel character and start affresh as Imminst.org and work back up the ranks. Got to look at the long term plan.

*time passes*

OK So if you change your user name you I believe you would be set to zero for your total contribution in terms of points. However your ranking in terms of PPD is dynamic so were I change my name to www.longevitymeme.org tomorrow I would still be in the exact same position in terms of out put.

SO

At present I am about number 5/6 in our team for output. My use name Sentinel is only on page 8 of the output board on Overclockers etc, however if a couple of users adopted the same name in the same way Chung has got people folding for him, we could combine to create a smaller number of Super-Users.

EG

We have c 75 active folders, we split these 75 into 3 Super-users, dividing them into combinations that ensure each of the 3 is top 100/to 50 ie on page 1 of the leader board.

One called www.longevitymeme.org

One called www.imminst.org

One called (enter debate)

Now this has ramifications for the prize systems and how they are awarded but I'm sure we can get round that with the use of Fahmon report file etcI'm just brainstorming in an empty room now, so help me out but I think I'm onto something.

#2 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Some humor might be effective. For example create a username

ImmortalityInstitute-JoinUsOrDie

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

I think your on to something too. I didnt realize there was a rankings page for individual top folders until recently. Not to mention, when people see our team, even though it doesnt say something like "longevitymeme.org", if there were folders scattered all over through out our team with names like that and ImmInst.org and coalitiontoextendlifespans.org and stuff like that then it would help a lot. It may even help push the cause along by a few days or weeks or months, you never know, every day of which saves around 100,000 people.

I think Im going to change my name to something like that and then start asking people to fold under that name. More of us should be doing this in order to try to win prize money for projects. In fact, hmmm, wouldnt that be great if we had say, 20 "project names" for people to choose from as an option? Then they can support their favorite project by folding under its name. There has been a little talk about that, but the more I think about it, the more a coordinated effort like that seems to be a great idea. There has also been a little talk of possibly discontinuing fah and or the fah prize. There has been some talk that maybe the energy we spend on fah could be best channeled else where, but I think we need to keep fah for the momentum and unity and added air of action it creates around imminst. Alot of people follow examples, and the fah example is one great catalyst in that area.

Anyways, if we set up some kind of system of projects for people to choose from like that, then it would be great reason to greatly increase the fah prize wouldnt it?

#4 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Some humor might be effective. For example create a username

ImmortalityInstitute-JoinUsOrDie

Or we could have the three super Users:

User 1: Immortality Institute -I want to live forever

User 2:Immortality Institute - I want to learn how to fly

User 3: Immortality Institute - High!

OK, OK thanks for the tangent Maestro, that will keep me going all afternoon (note to self: get out more).

Glad you chimed in though because obviously a move such as this in the next quatre would have a bigger impact on you and other top folders as you as an individual have spent more time and money than the rest of the Imminst folding team BUT if we to go ahead with this you would not get the individual acolade you get now. Ie hey who's this Maestro guy about to over take me, wonder what he's using" (just read that and it sounded like an acusation of steroid use!) With this new idea it will be "who the hell is thatwww.longevitymeme.org guy, he's shot into 20th place from nowhere!!"

Not only can we get around the fact that at present we cannot change our team name to a click through web address to help promote our "mission" and ethos but also it gets round the slightly touchy subject I raised of if we did rename the team shoul dwe call it Imminst.org instead of longevitymeme.org.

I raised this and it was negatively received but I would like to say for the record that having looked into the origins of this and our efforts that I understand why that is not a good idea, and the longevity.meme deserves all the benefit due to it's initiative and dedication.

That said this would enable us to have more than one key name.

Just typing while I'm thinking but based on the fact we only have 75 folders out of how ever many thousand in our membership/community, maybe we could encourgage the various lurkers and contributers in each area to set up there own team under their own banner. The nootropics team would be scarey, don't even get me started on the resveratrol crew.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

if we to go ahead with this you would not get the individual acolade you get now. Ie hey who's this Maestro guy about to over take me, wonder what he's using" (just read that and it sounded like an acusation of steroid use!) With this new idea it will be "who the hell is thatwww.longevitymeme.org guy, he's shot into 20th place from nowhere!!"

A person could go with say, for example maybe, "imminst.org Maestro"

#6 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

if we to go ahead with this you would not get the individual acolade you get now. Ie hey who's this Maestro guy about to over take me, wonder what he's using" (just read that and it sounded like an acusation of steroid use!) With this new idea it will be "who the hell is thatwww.longevitymeme.org guy, he's shot into 20th place from nowhere!!"

A person could go with say, for example maybe, "imminst.org Maestro"

On the one hand yes, Maestro is a veritable force of folding nature in his own right but to maximise our rankings we would need numbers of users to join uder the same name, therefore, and to maximise the high impact branding (as people will only see it fleetingly, inorder them to remember it accurately we need to keep the number of words/characters to a pragmatic minimum).

The reason I think this is possibly even more effective a route of promotion is because that despite being members of teams, the thing that drives a lot of contributers is their individual effort, contribution and ranking. What are they going to be more upset/interested by. A team over taking their team or, far more personally, someone over taking them

We are a cause, we work as a cohesive team with a common goal, live for the ground breaking and cutting edge in the belief that we can lead better, longer lives. They fold for a magazine. Their doing it for themselves.

#7 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I like the idea. I'd be happy to change my folding name for the sake of the meme. I'll do so after the ongoing PNY contest.

#8 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

...And just in case any of you have even more time on their hands than me, "no" that web address does not exist, does not host lewd photgraphs of me or ramble extensively about "My Philosophy" regarding open relationships and free love.

er.. FOLD!!

Edited by sentinel, 06 March 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#9 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I changed fonclea for www.imminst.org.

#10 chungenhung

• Guest, F@H
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

if we can agree on a username, then perhaps all of us top folders can change it to that username all at once. It will seem like that user is crunching with supercomputer!
And that particular user's rank would skyrocket pretty quick.

#11 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

How about just imminst.org ? The www. is redundant.

#12 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

if we can agree on a username, then perhaps all of us top folders can change it to that username all at once. It will seem like that user is crunching with supercomputer!
And that particular user's rank would skyrocket pretty quick.

Thats exactly what im suggesting Chung, that we take our 75 people and at the beginning of the next quatre we strategically split the 75 into 3 Suoer users ie we all use the same name or 3 names. We make up the teams from combinations of high and low output

#13 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

I like the idea! I'd join the super users if it helps.  ;)

#14 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

I suggest that we keep it to non-f@h prize contestants, otherwise we couldn't differentiate who's who.

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

yes, in order to award prizes, we would still need to know names of the individual folders. As far as I am aware, maestro, DNAmechanic, and nappi have opted out of the prize competition. If you three changed your username to imminst.org or longevitymem.org, then it might work. Of course there is a bit of pride and folding history on the line. I know if I had built up my username in the rankings I might have a tough time letting go.

#16 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

So, if a bunch of us fold for a super name then there is no way to tell the individual points accumulated with in apart? If thats the case then we might have to have a designated team captain who would be eligable for the prize. I'll forgo my chances of winning to join a super name.

#17 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

yes, in order to award prizes, we would still need to know names of the individual folders. As far as I am aware, maestro, DNAmechanic, and nappi have opted out of the prize competition. If you three changed your username to imminst.org or longevitymem.org, then it might work. Of course there is a bit of pride and folding history on the line. I know if I had built up my username in the rankings I might have a tough time letting go.

Well most of the highest output users as you mentioned opt out. Kismet has stepped up and I am about number 5/6 in terms of output and happy to skip the prizes, it was my idea afterall.

Anyone that wants to stay in for the prixe then thats completely cool and the reason it works as a promotion tool, any body that wants to get on board with the Superuser programme then great, we succeed with both objectives and both forms of promotion and attraction feed back into eachother.

#18 sentinel

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it's time we got this up and away. I propose we set up a super user called www.imminst.org or imminst.org and I will be folding under that. Anyone care to join me then we can join forces and watch ourselves move up the user rankings. I will be forgoing any prizes as it's not what I'm in this for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users