Photo
- - - - -

Melatonin high dosage (10mg)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

Here's the deal - I'm suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness for 7 years now. Tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that helps is Ritalin or Provigil, but not always, and there are side effects.
I also tried Melatonin for a while. I tried 3mg and 1mg before bed. 3mg usually made me overly sleepy (even more than usual) the next day.

I've purchased 10mg capsules (I thought I'd split them), but last night I tried taking one.
I woke up naturally after 12 hours (this is normal, if I don't set an alarm), but now I feel completely alert (usually about now I'd be feeling drowsy).
I've read that 10mg is A LOT, but I wonder if it is justified for some cases.

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

All I know is that Paul Wakfer takes 30 milligrams of melatonin.

Scroll down to the "Pre-sleep" section:

http://morelife.org/...is-regimen.html

Edited by pycnogenol, 27 March 2009 - 02:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

A. Who's he?
B. Did you notice he also takes 5mg not at "pre-sleep"? What's that about?

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

A. Who's he?
B. Did you notice he also takes 5mg not at "pre-sleep"? What's that about?

A. He has a bio on his site so that would be the place to know more. (www.morelife.org)
B. Yes, and I have no idea.

#5 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

What did the 1mg do? I've heard some people even take .5mg. I used to feel fucked the next day off 3mg and often wake up in the night after a few hours, I now split them up so getting about 1mg, works quite well, less is more with melatonin, 10mg sounds a bit excessive, especially if your tired off 3mg, theres no way I would try 10mg with work the next day, maybe there is nothing in the 10mg and it was a placebo effect!

#6 steelsky

• Topic Starter
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

What did the 1mg do? I've heard some people even take .5mg. I used to feel fucked the next day off 3mg and often wake up in the night after a few hours, I now split them up so getting about 1mg, works quite well, less is more with melatonin, 10mg sounds a bit excessive, especially if your tired off 3mg, theres no way I would try 10mg with work the next day, maybe there is nothing in the 10mg and it was a placebo effect!

1mg doesn't do much. I doubt 0.5mg would be much different.
It's too early to testify about the 10mg. I think I'll try it for the next week and report.
Was just wondering what you guys know about such a high dosage.

#7 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

You can read about Paul's thoughts about melatonin here (scroll down to the "4/30/08 thru 6/30/08" section). His changes were based on PMID 18485648 and correspondence he had with the author of the study.

StephenB

#8 Lurker

• 87 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Most of what was stated here is what most people experience with melatonin. Low dosages produce similar results and high dosages, so it seems like the effects "plateau" after a very small amount (1mg). Even if you take 3-5mg, you generally don't get drowsier or sleepier then the normal 1mg dose. Two things you might want to try:

Time Release Melatonin
Rozeram (which may just be an overpriced prescription version of melatonin)

#9 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

All I needed to see on this guy's page was EDTA. Chelation for the sake of chelation is for dumbasses. IP-6, maybe-- and clearly not for me, I'm running an iron deficiency. But EDTA? Don't even bother with this guy.
I've been on Rozerem, and it just made me tired into the next day. Melatonin is way too hit or miss for me, so I don't mess with it. But the Rozerem was even worse, and it runs roughly 100x the price per dose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Embrace

• 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hi - Just ordered some sublingual melatonin from agestop.net it's made by BIOVEA and supposedly 99.5% pure, cost me only £10, so if it doesn't work I haven't lost out that much. Here in the the UK melatonin isn't OTC so who knows where its being shipped from and how long it'll take to arrive :( OP did you ever use melatonin to get rid of the provigil induced insomnia? Or, was melatonin still affective whilst taking provigil? You see provigil is great except the half life is too damn long, any dose after 10am leaves me toss n' turnin in bed till the early hours of the morning. I'm hoping a large dose of melatonin will counteract this!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users