Photo
- - - - -

Glycine/GPLC for sleep: wow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

For the past couple of weeks I have been taking glycine-propionyl-L-carnitine HCl at night off and on to see if it would help in muscle recovery and especially recovery of a chronic trigger point in my shoulder musculature. As a side effect, I noticed that it makes me sleep through the night and wake up feeling relaxed, instead of waking up wide awake at three and staring at the ceiling for the rest of the night (as I have for the past year). I have experimented enough to be sure that it is from the GPLC, and I am not taking any other supplements or prescription drugs lately (apart from glucosamine and fish oil). It has a very dramatic beneficial effect on sleep, even though I only take 758mg GPLC, which contains only 174 mg Glycine and 500mg PLC.

As far as I can tell from some research on these forums, it may be the glycine component that is helping me sleep. It appears that some other participants in these forums have been using glycine exactly for this purpose.

My question to those who have used glycine (or for that matter GPLC) for sleep or whatever else. Does a tolerance develop? Does one need to cycle it?

Edited by andre, 22 April 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

My wife and I have been using 2 and 3 grams of glycine respectively for many months now with no noticeable tolerance. She occasionally forgets to take it and doesn't experience any unusual difficulty falling asleep, so there doesn't seem to be any dependence developing either.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but andre i remembered you having an issue with resveratrol + damage... where/what was that about? what did you take/how much? is your glycine use related to that? i just started a bit of resveratrol and wanted to be careful...

#4 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but andre i remembered you having an issue with resveratrol + damage... where/what was that about? what did you take/how much? is your glycine use related to that? i just started a bit of resveratrol and wanted to be careful...

Yes, the trigger point pain and insomnia may be related to a supplement containing resveratrol that I took, although I am not sure for certain. I sent you a PM.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Is there any evidence that the carnitine itself improves sleep? Or perhaps it is helping muscle recovery + reducing pain, which results in better sleep? The glycine component would make sense, but 174 mg Glycine seems pretty skimpy compared to the glycine studies. I think they used approx 2-3 grams daily.

Edited by nameless, 22 April 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#6 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

2 grams of Glycine made me very groggy in the morning, so I wouldn't discount the experimental value of trying lower does first.

#7 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

Just an update - since starting to take the GPLC I have been noticing an inordinate amount of morning stiffness as well as joint crepitus throughout the day. This could be coincidence, the result of sleeping longer, or perhaps a direct side effect of the GPLC. In any case, for now I'll stop taking it for a bit to see if it goes away.

#8 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Did you research glycine safety? (as you do for most supplements?) I haven't had time to research glycine myself, so I could benefit from a critical report.  :)

#9 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Did you research glycine safety? (as you do for most supplements?)

The amount of glycine in this supplement is an order of magnitude less than the amount in a can of tuna. As a rule of thumb, I tend not to worry too much about supplements in amounts that are well sub-dietary. Admittedly, speed of absorption would differ, and might differ greatly, so the rule is not perfect. (After all, why is this supplement making me sleep?)

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

2 grams of Glycine made me very groggy in the morning, so I wouldn't discount the experimental value of trying lower does first.

I have a very similar problem, but taking TMG instead of glycine seems to make it easier to get up in the morning.

#11 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

It made me depressed after a while.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

Out of curiosity, I looked up the glycine amount in a can of tuna. According to fitbit, tuna salad has 1.6 grams of glycine. Anyone know what the average daily consumption of glycine is?

I've been thinking of trying some albion minerals, which are glycinate-based. I had some concerns over the glycine, as I didn't study it that much, but if it's a lot less than people get in diet I can't see it doing any harm.

Still not sure how 174 mg of glycine would induce sleep, unless it's an absorption issue or something like that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users