Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Experiences with modanifil (modalert)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 zilali

• 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

I've had problems with concentration for a long time but over the last few months it seems to have reached an all time low. After reading a lot about modafinil I managed to find a pharmacy online (unitedpharamcies) that sold the Generic sun pharaceutical 'Modalert' which is shipped to the UK. I paid about £20 for 20 pills which came through yesterday.

My first impressions of the drug weren't great. I took a 200mg pill at around 3pm and after not feeling anything for 2 hours took another 100mg. Headed to the library to do some work and felt slightly anxious (which isn't unusual for me) but no increased concentration. After doing minimal work for several hours and feeling tired I went home around 9pm. I lay in bed later and started to feel better and more awake but ended up having difficulty sleeping. Stayed up till 3am and finally managed to get some sleep. Thought the delayed effect may be due to taking on a full stomach so planned to take the next day.

Woke up 8ish and took another 200mg pill but this time crushed into hot water after reading a little about 'modalert' being slow releasing pills. Suprised by the mild taste of the pill after reading so much about modafinils terrible taste. Felt normalish for the most part but still felt a little fuzzy headed. By about 2pm seemed to wake up had quite a productive 4 or 5 hours in the library through the feeling wasn't overwhelming.

So what do you people think? After reading so many glowing reports about modafinil it was a little bit of an anti climax. Do you think it could have been fake? The minimal effects and non bitter taste seem to suggest they were or do I just need to give modalert a bit of time.

Also even though modalerts are slow releasing the 6 or so hours it takes me to feel an effect seem a bit much.. or is that just the way my body responds to the drug?

Either way im off to the doctors this week so i'll try and ask if I can get it on prescription (though im not sure how easy that is in the UK?)

#2 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

First of all.. You should not be taking it at 3:00 PM to start off with .. You should take it when you wake up and that may be the issue
The good news is that it did not effect you as it should have.. and to start at 200 mg is to me too high a dose try 100 mg first and then 100mg later in the day

Taking more is not better... You should always take it in the AM and only start with 100 mg to start off with and then take another 100 mg at noon to see if that helps
I know for me some days I do not feel it at all and take more later on
I actually usually only take 100mg a day and start off with 50mg and take another 50 later on in the day Usually not later then 3:00 or I will have a problem sleeping at night
I only take a maximum of 200 mg an anymore makes me really edgy so I am concerned if you have been taken with what you have gotten in the mail
.........to not feel anything really makes me concerned with what is in the pill and I would take it to be tested to a lab close to you or maybe you are expecting it to effect you like like so many I have talked to think it will be similar to speed and it is not at all.. In fact it can be very subtle at first and you may need a few days to actually understand that Is it your expectations??

I have real concerns from what is exactly in your pills you have .. I know many order from places so they would be able to give you more input on if it is a reliable lab ,etc
I would have one of them analyzed just to make sure you are getting what you pay for and the price seems cheap to me so that sends a red flag up
I just do not trust many places who sell drugs because I feel you have no idea what is really in it unless you actually have it tested
In The USA we have certain standards that have to be met so what I take Provigal may not be the same make up of what you taking and that is what I take and have an RX for and it costs me about 50 cents a pill with co-pays It is expensive drug here and should be generic soon
I am not sure where you live or I would list some places for you to have it checked...to make sure it is legit
I would see if you can get someone here who has a history with a lab or online pharmacy that they trust and have had good success with
I am really sorry and would love to be more helpful ... I am hoping someone who has some reliable places will also help you here
There are so many issues that can be effected like what you are already on... and if you are sure that you do not have other issues that may be also effecting you
It is not a drug like reaction at all like speed it only will help you be more alert and also able to focus more.... It really is something that you need to play around with as you see how it effects you after a few days and try to do it like I have suggested but if you do not feel it at all well that may be your real issue so have it tested first...
Good Luck...June

I've had problems with concentration for a long time but over the last few months it seems to have reached an all time low. After reading a lot about modafinil I managed to find a pharmacy online (unitedpharamcies) that sold the Generic sun pharaceutical 'Modalert' which is shipped to the UK. I paid about £20 for 20 pills which came through yesterday.

My first impressions of the drug weren't great. I took a 200mg pill at around 3pm and after not feeling anything for 2 hours took another 100mg. Headed to the library to do some work and felt slightly anxious (which isn't unusual for me) but no increased concentration. After doing minimal work for several hours and feeling tired I went home around 9pm. I lay in bed later and started to feel better and more awake but ended up having difficulty sleeping. Stayed up till 3am and finally managed to get some sleep. Thought the delayed effect may be due to taking on a full stomach so planned to take the next day.

Woke up 8ish and took another 200mg pill but this time crushed into hot water after reading a little about 'modalert' being slow releasing pills. Suprised by the mild taste of the pill after reading so much about modafinils terrible taste. Felt normalish for the most part but still felt a little fuzzy headed. By about 2pm seemed to wake up had quite a productive 4 or 5 hours in the library through the feeling wasn't overwhelming.

So what do you people think? After reading so many glowing reports about modafinil it was a little bit of an anti climax. Do you think it could have been fake? The minimal effects and non bitter taste seem to suggest they were or do I just need to give modalert a bit of time.

Also even though modalerts are slow releasing the 6 or so hours it takes me to feel an effect seem a bit much.. or is that just the way my body responds to the drug?

Either way im off to the doctors this week so i'll try and ask if I can get it on prescription (though im not sure how easy that is in the UK?)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zilali

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply...
I currently live in the UK and bought them off http://www.unitedpharmacies.co.uk/ but if anyone has reliable UK sources i'm all ears.
I looked around for a while and seemed like mostly positive review ..but yea I agree there is a risk of buying medication online which is why i'm attempting to get prescribed provgil.

Has anyone else tried modalert and similar experiences? i'm still wondering about the taste too. Also I should probably mention that I also have a mild form of bipolar called cyclothymia which possibly could have had an effect on how i felt.

This is slightly off topic but also does anyone know what tests would be run to determine the contents of a pill. I am a chemistry undergraduate so maybe could perform some basic analytical tests i.e. NMR, IR etc

Edited by zilali, 28 April 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#4 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

It doesn't seem like anyone has helped you with this I would look through this site and look for postings...I know I have seen pharmacies posted
You may also start another post with all you information in this forum or another on this site and not connected too this one and see if you get a response.
There are many here who would help you if they saw it and may not be following this conversation
Good Luck..

Thanks for the reply...
I currently live in the UK and bought them off http://www.unitedpharmacies.co.uk/ but if anyone has reliable UK sources i'm all ears.
I looked around for a while and seemed like mostly positive review ..but yea I agree there is a risk of buying medication online which is why i'm attempting to get prescribed provgil.

Has anyone else tried modalert and similar experiences? i'm still wondering about the taste too. Also I should probably mention that I also have a mild form of bipolar called cyclothymia which possibly could have had an effect on how i felt.

This is slightly off topic but also does anyone know what tests would be run to determine the contents of a pill. I am a chemistry undergraduate so maybe could perform some basic analytical tests i.e. NMR, IR etc

#5 unsleepable

• 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

I've had a not so great experience with Modalert obtained from Nubrain. I've tried varying doses from 100mg in the morning to another 100mg later in the day, 200mg in the morning only, and 50mg in the morning only, etc., and i've experienced nothing but extreme anxiety with no increase in alertness nor have I been able to stay up longer than normal. 

I'm not sure if it is a side effect of the modafinil, or if it was a bad batch from Nubrain, but for now I am too weary to experiment further. The anxiety is just way too intense. Maybe......just maybe, in a couple of weeks I will try a tiny dose of <25mg to make sure that I am not hypersensitive or something, then flush the rest of the pills. 

I've attached two pictures of the product received from Nubrain, both sides and up close. You can make out the "Sun Pharmaceutical Industries" logo on the package as well as the obvious "Modalert" branding. I've seen pictures of Modalert before and for some reason my package looks different. Shrug.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 revnik

• 121 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

I've attached two pictures of the product received from Nubrain, both sides and up close. You can make out the "Sun Pharmaceutical Industries" logo on the package as well as the obvious "Modalert" branding. I've seen pictures of Modalert before and for some reason my package looks different. Shrug.

Watch out, these look like fakes!
Look for other pictures on the forum, Modalert isn't supposed to look like this!

My batch (a good/real one) contains the following info on the backside:

M.L. : JK/...
B.No. : AD82...
MFG : 12/2008
EXP. : 11/2010
MRP Rs. 121.00
PER 10 TABLETS
INCL. OF ALL TAXES

Edited by chrono, 26 September 2010 - 08:55 PM.
trimmed quote

#7 wkdnlazy

• 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

:) Wow ! These look more legit than what I've been getting these past few years.. Unlike any modalert I've seen before.. But I'm most definitely taking modafinil !

Edited by chrono, 26 September 2010 - 08:55 PM.
fixed quote

#8 revnik

• 121 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

This is how Modalert is supposed to look like (the picture is not mine but it's LEGIT):

Posted Image

#9 notlupus

• 161 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

zilali, did you get real or fake modafinil from unitedpharmacies after looking at the pics?

I ordered some fluconazole from them and now I'm wondering if they are selling fake meds, so your reply would be appreciated.

#10 revnik

• 121 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

zilali, did you get real or fake modafinil from unitedpharmacies after looking at the pics?

I ordered some fluconazole from them and now I'm wondering if they are selling fake meds, so your reply would be appreciated.

Unitedpharmacies sells the real one, they're a good source.

#11 notlupus

• 161 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Unitedpharmacies sells the real one, they're a good source.

That's good. I was a little worried when I got fluconazole labeled for New Zealand from Hong Kong and I can't find pics of Pacific's packaging online to see if the stuff compares. Guess I shouldn't worry so much since it matches the description on Pacific's site.

#12 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

That is why I take it.. I needed the ability to concentrate and focus. I was experiencing a fogginess and not able to really articulate and comprehend as I use to be able to..... ( which is part of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia)
I also have alpha wave that never rest so that also added to the problem for me
This drug has helped me immensely with these problems

You are wise to start with a lower dose and see how you do I have had success by splitting my dose within the day a.... 3:00 PM a good time to take it a second time. You should always take it on an empty stomach and your first dose should be taken when you wake up in the morning

You are also right about it being a side effect. It does create anxiety. It usually happens when you take too much.
I usually take 100mg a day but have used 200mg broken up during the day and would never take more because the anxiety is so bad you for me I start grinding my teeth.... Can make you very uptight and more stressed out more when you are using it at a time when you are already stressed out more..

I would like to also remind anyone who is experimenting with this drug that its effects are subtle and they would be an ability to focus and to also be more alert. The side effects are not subtle and can be very uncomfortable. That is why it is important to start off with smaller doses and see how you do and slowly add more.

I get provigal by RX The instructions for taking it in the AM and on an empty stomach. I usually start with 50 mg and then add another 50mg at 3:00 PM which to get me ...gets me through the evening
I would suggest to you that you may want to start off with a smaller dose for a few weeks or at least a few days and then try to increase it slowly to a comfortable dosage
If you still get those side effects you will need to cut back and I would say that for any long term use... 200mg should be the maximum dose within the day
You will not get any more results from taking more........ You will just get the side effects

I usually do fine on 100mg a day but I will say if I am really tired or at different times I really do not feel any difference but this is rarely If I have taken 100mg in AM and then at 3:00 take 100mg I usually feel it then and I would explain how I am feeling is a little more alert and awake. Nothing drastic and very subtle Right now this past week I have taken 150mg because of my condition
I am a small female also 5"5 and 135 lbs so my dosage I have also been taking it daily for over three years now.
I have taken 50 mg on some days and do not take more when I am doing okay and.... If I am feeling okay in the AM I will not take it till later in the day at 3:00 PM....You need to play around with it and see how it effects you.

Unfortunately if you do not feel any change playing around a few months I would suggest that this is not a medication t for you

The usual maximum dose is 200mg . I can understand taking more within a 24 hour period if you are using it with success for school but then you will have to way the side effects and i you will have to weigh this and only you and how you feel on this medication will be able to make this call

I wish I could help you more with the different places that sell it. I would be cautious and get as much feedback as possible from other members here. If you look back I remember a few years ago someone suggesting other places to buy it. along with other sections of the forums here
If I were buying as you are I would want a few people recommending a supplier and also what standards that country has. In the USA Provigal is how it is sold and have stricter standards then most
I would also go to the drug manufacturers sites and see the breakdown and compare it with other makers of this drug. It has been available in Europe years before it was in the USA They can be packaged differently and still be the same drug just made by another company
It is still not available in generic form in the US so all the brands you may be buying from other countries could have many other drug companies making their brand

I can see a benefit for school and studying but I think most peoples expectations of what it is capable of is not realistic at all You will see an ability to focus more and also be more alert and can achieve that as low as 50mg
I would allow a period of adjusting to what this drug does to you and for you... and not just begin to take it in large doses thinking that if I take a lot now I will be smarter, and able to pass all my exams...
Be wise and give yourself enough time to see what works for you ...so you will be your best when you need to be your best
Good Luck

[quote name='revnik' post='320520' date='6-May 2009, 04:15 AM'][quote name='unsleepable' post='320501' date='6-May 2009, 07:57 AM']I've had a not so great experience with Modalert obtained from Nubrain. I've tried varying doses from 100mg in the morning to another 100mg later in the day, 200mg in the morning only, and 50mg in the morning only, etc., and i've experienced nothing but extreme anxiety with no increase in alertness nor have I been able to stay up longer than normal. 

I'm not sure if it is a side effect of the modafinil, or if it was a bad batch from Nubrain, but for now I am too weary to experiment further. The anxiety is just way too intense. Maybe......just maybe, in a couple of weeks I will try a tiny dose of <25mg to make sure that I am not hypersensitive or something, then flush the rest of the pills. 

Edited by psy333che, 07 May 2009 - 02:23 PM.

• Informative x 1

#13 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

You were using it wisely along with experimenting many ways...
I think the only problem is that you needed to use a very low dose that is even prescribed as to starting dose and used posted results from others as your barometer
It is a good idea to start at the lowest dose amount whenever introducing anything new into your system because you have no idea how you may react and that includes vitamins and supplements along with medications like these

You are really sensitive... and should use a smaller dose even smaller then 25 to start because of your sensitivity
If you can manage breaking the pill even smaller. I would try starting with half the 25% maybe 10% to 15 % to start and take it in the AM only for a few days and if you do okay
then add 25% in AM for the next few days and if you still feel more anxious at even the smallest dose ... then get rid of them

Your input is valuable to others ..You are a great example of how sensitive a person can be to something new in their body and what can happen
..........and You would be a great benefit to others here who need your input
Where and how to order it from reliable places
Whatever else you can add here would be helpful to others though you have really added a lot in a few sentences
Is NUBRAIN is located in the UK?
Can you give any information to others here who would need to know any of your experiences when you started ordering and most of all
Where not to buy it from
I am curious why you were taking this was it for school? Do you have a problem with sleeping or has that been a problem since you started experimenting with it..

[quote name='unsleepable' post='320501' date='6-May 2009, 01:57 AM']I've had a not so great experience with Modalert obtained from Nubrain. I've tried varying doses from 100mg in the morning to another 100mg later in the day, 200mg in the morning only, and 50mg in the morning only, etc., and i've experienced nothing but extreme anxiety with no increase in alertness nor have I been able to stay up longer than normal. 

Edited by psy333che, 07 May 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#14 deltasierra

• 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Nubrain is located in the US (Atlanta, GA) and I have found them to be a reliable source. I ordered Modalert from them recently and I believe it to be legitimate.

#15 zilali

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just confirm yes the modafinils were real judging from the pictures. Also I have given the drug to various friends who had positive effects from it.

#16 unsleepable

• 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hey psy333che, thanks for such a detailed response. I'm glad I can add some value to the forum.

Is NUBRAIN is located in the UK?

Nubrain is located in LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia according to their site.

Can you give any information to others here who would need to know any of your experiences when you started ordering and most of all
Where not to buy it from

As far as ordering goes, Nubrain is the first and only store i've purchased from. Its fairly straightforward, requiring first time users to register, and the browser verifies the site as secure during ordering. Since I also reside in the US, the shipping was quick (ordered Thursday, received Tuesday). I've also considered ordering form Airsealed, which i've heard a lot of good things about, but I wanted the package as soon as possible. Airsealed is probably the only other online vendor I would consider buying from, I avoid ordering from generic pharmacy sites unless I can find several posts and/or testimonial from trusted users on the forums.

I was very impressed with Nubrains shipping, but as you can tell from my experience and reading posts about fake Modalert being sold, I am still a bit skeptical as to whether the pills I recieved are genuine or not. This is the main reason why I have suspended experimentation until my body returns to baseline. Like I mentioned before, I will give it another shot in varying tiny doses to confirm the efficacy (or lack thereof) and side effects of Modalert on my body. There is no way, short of submitting the pills for analysis, to prove that the Modalert I received are counterfeit, so the only conclusion I can draw from this final stretch of experimenting is whether or not this particular batch of [pills] are effective in keeping me alert and awake. 

I dread the thought of experiencing the side effects again, but I want to know for sure. The anxiety I experienced during my first few trials were crippling. Its hard to explain how bad it felt, the best analogy would be that I felt like a frail plant in the midst of a hurricane. You know that feeling when you were a kid, and you were so nervous that your voice shook? I felt that to my core; it was shaken. Instead of my normal, positive, confident self, I found myself more afraid and nervous to be in public and exponentially more sympathetic to the shy and weak. The first bout of anxiety lasted for a solid week after I stopped taking the modalert. The subsequent bouts of anxiety were shorter lived on smaller doses. I tried to take Niacinamide to combat the anxiety during its peak to no avail (1g 3x daily). I guess my body just had to return slowly to baseline on its own. 

With that in mind, my next trials are going to begin with a single 12mg dose on an empty stomach in the morning.  My last and smallest dose was 50mg (half pill) which resulted in much anxiety . I'm going to try to split  a 50mg in half, and split that in half once more. If the 12mg dose results in no anxiety, I will continue it for 3 or so more days to confirm, note the effects, and add a second 12mg dose (or smaller) if needed sometime in the afternoon.

I am curious why you were taking this was it for school? Do you have a problem with sleeping or has that been a problem since you started experimenting with it..

The reason I'm experimenting with modafinil is because I tend to be very drowsy the majority of the day. Literally 2 hours after waking, my mind would feel dead tired and needing a nap. This is also true when I get off from work and am in what I call, "zombie mode". If I were to keep my mind in active and alert mode, I would probably require 2-3 naps throughout the day, which to me is a highly inefficient way to spend the day. I'm not trying to keep awake 72 hours at a time, I just want to be able to function productively for 10+ hours straight when needed.

This has pretty much been my problem since.....well, forever (i'm 24). I'm not taking any meds and my diet is in check.

Edited by unsleepable, 08 May 2009 - 06:56 AM.

#17 Emy

• 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

I bought modalert tablets from UnitedPharmacies as well. I don't really notice an improvement in terms of mental capacity. My neck muscles stiffen up a bit though! Does anyone know if you can get Provigil in the UK from "Chemist Direct"? It seems like you can go through checkout without a perscription...is this true?

#18 alexd

• 106 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

I bought modalert tablets from UnitedPharmacies as well. I don't really notice an improvement in terms of mental capacity. My neck muscles stiffen up a bit though! Does anyone know if you can get Provigil in the UK from "Chemist Direct"? It seems like you can go through checkout without a perscription...is this true?

Unsleepable. If you have medical insurance get your Dr to prescribe Provigil for narcolepsy. That is an FDA accepted use of the drug and your insurance will likely cover it. It works wonders for me, but the use is off label and my insurance company refuses.

#19 mdma

• 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

I tought i 'll take the time to update and review my recent Modalert experiments.

My first Modafinil try-out was with IAS Alertec from Shire. It was amazing how smooth and easy that products was working for me. I bought Modalert from nubrain.com and first, the package ive received looks nothing like others modalert packages ive seen here. And lately when i took a 200mg dose of this modalert i feel absolutely NOTHING.

Usually when i take Alertec 100mg i have to stay away from coffee because i would get too hyper. But this modalert thing i don't know about the authenticity. Sun Pharma looks like a serious business but the whole generic drug industry is questionable IMO. I wont buy modalert again thats for sure. Id rather pay the real price to get the real thing thats WORKS.

from wiki

Modafinil originated with the late 1970s invention of a series of benzhydryl sulfinyl compounds, also including adrafinil, by scientists working with the French pharmaceutical company Lafon. Adrafinil was first offered as an experimental treatment for narcolepsy in France in 1986. Modafinil is the primary metabolite of adrafinil and has similar activity but is much more widely used. It has been prescribed in France since 1994 under the name Modiodal, and in the US since 1998 as Provigil. It was approved for use in the UK in December 2002. Modafinil is marketed in the US by Cephalon Inc., who leased the rights from Lafon. Cephalon eventually purchased Lafon in 2001. In 2005, a petition by a private individual was filed with the FDA requesting over-the-counter sale of modafinil.[63]

A U.S. Patent 4,927,855 was granted to Lafon for modafinil in 1990. The FDA granted modafinil orphan drug status in 1993. The formulation patent expired on 30 March 2006. The particle size patent was filed by Cephalon U.S. Patent 5,618,845, covering pharmaceutical compositions of modafinil, in 1994. That patent, granted in 1997, was reissued in 2002 as RE 37,516, which provides Cephalon with patent protection for certain preparations of the drug in the United States until 2014, which is now apparently extended to April 6, 2015 after Cephalon received a six-month patent extension from the FDA.[64] However, a settlement in which Cephalon apparently paid out US$ 200 million to four generic drug manufacturers[65] may mean that generic forms of the drug will become available in April 2012 (October 2011 prior to the six month extension).

Some competing pharmaceutical manufacturers have applied to the FDA to market a generic form of modafinil in 2006. At least one withdrew their application after early opposition by Cephalon based on their new patent on particle sizes. There is some question as to whether a particle size patent is sufficient protection against the manufacture of generics. Pertinent questions include whether modafinil may be modified or manufactured to avoid the granularities specified in the new Cephalon patent, and whether patenting particle size is invalid because particles of appropriate sizes are likely to be obvious to practitioners skilled in the art. However, under United States patent law, a patent is entitled to a legal presumption of validity, meaning that in order to invalidate the patent, much more than "pertinent questions" are required. To date, no generic manufacturer has been able to invalidate Cephalon's particle size patent, and, indeed, those that attempted to do so were not successful such that the patent remains in force.

If the Patent is still on-going for cephalon how comes there is all those generics modafinil out there?

#20 Parleton Trent

• 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

I tought i 'll take the time to update and review my recent Modalert experiments.

My first Modafinil try-out was with IAS Alertec from Shire. It was amazing how smooth and easy that products was working for me. I bought Modalert from nubrain.com and first, the package ive received looks nothing like others modalert packages ive seen here. And lately when i took a 200mg dose of this modalert i feel absolutely NOTHING.

Usually when i take Alertec 100mg i have to stay away from coffee because i would get too hyper. But this modalert thing i don't know about the authenticity. Sun Pharma looks like a serious business but the whole generic drug industry is questionable IMO. I wont buy modalert again thats for sure. Id rather pay the real price to get the real thing thats WORKS.

from wiki

Modafinil originated with the late 1970s invention of a series of benzhydryl sulfinyl compounds, also including adrafinil, by scientists working with the French pharmaceutical company Lafon. Adrafinil was first offered as an experimental treatment for narcolepsy in France in 1986. Modafinil is the primary metabolite of adrafinil and has similar activity but is much more widely used. It has been prescribed in France since 1994 under the name Modiodal, and in the US since 1998 as Provigil. It was approved for use in the UK in December 2002. Modafinil is marketed in the US by Cephalon Inc., who leased the rights from Lafon. Cephalon eventually purchased Lafon in 2001. In 2005, a petition by a private individual was filed with the FDA requesting over-the-counter sale of modafinil.[63]

A U.S. Patent 4,927,855 was granted to Lafon for modafinil in 1990. The FDA granted modafinil orphan drug status in 1993. The formulation patent expired on 30 March 2006. The particle size patent was filed by Cephalon U.S. Patent 5,618,845, covering pharmaceutical compositions of modafinil, in 1994. That patent, granted in 1997, was reissued in 2002 as RE 37,516, which provides Cephalon with patent protection for certain preparations of the drug in the United States until 2014, which is now apparently extended to April 6, 2015 after Cephalon received a six-month patent extension from the FDA.[64] However, a settlement in which Cephalon apparently paid out US$ 200 million to four generic drug manufacturers[65] may mean that generic forms of the drug will become available in April 2012 (October 2011 prior to the six month extension).

Some competing pharmaceutical manufacturers have applied to the FDA to market a generic form of modafinil in 2006. At least one withdrew their application after early opposition by Cephalon based on their new patent on particle sizes. There is some question as to whether a particle size patent is sufficient protection against the manufacture of generics. Pertinent questions include whether modafinil may be modified or manufactured to avoid the granularities specified in the new Cephalon patent, and whether patenting particle size is invalid because particles of appropriate sizes are likely to be obvious to practitioners skilled in the art. However, under United States patent law, a patent is entitled to a legal presumption of validity, meaning that in order to invalidate the patent, much more than "pertinent questions" are required. To date, no generic manufacturer has been able to invalidate Cephalon's particle size patent, and, indeed, those that attempted to do so were not successful such that the patent remains in force.

If the Patent is still on-going for cephalon how comes there is all those generics modafinil out there?

Hah, Cephalon still holding on to its product by introducing a more 'potent' version of modafinil on their website.

At any rate, Cephalon are still protected by 'particle sizes' patent. Since its filing, a drug patent lasts about 20 years, of which about 14 years are wasted on approvals/trials,etc. and that leave them about 3 to 6 years of actual holding on the market. They can file for an extension. Cephalon's Formulation patent is already expired in 2006, it is just that its new technique of 'particle size' is still protected.

After the formulation ended, generic can be made.

Anyway, drugs through U.S are strigent and protected by law. I mean, if you get a hold of the formulation (since the filing of the patent in early 90s in the U.S), you can manufacture it illegally. Some [or many] third word countries' pharmaceutical companies are not that abiding to internal law, they can just make it. The main question is how good is the synthesis.

#21 mdma

• 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Right...

The FDA requires the bioequivalence of the generic product to be between 80% and 125% of that of the innovator product. Bioequivalence, however, does not mean that generic drugs must be exactly the same (“pharmaceutical equivalent”) as their innovator product counterparts, as chemical differences may exist (different salt or ester – a “pharmaceutical alternative”).

Even if the Cephalon formulation patent is expired by now, that raise a question as WHAT IS MODALERT if differences in chemical structure is allowed? Also if generics are produced aggresively nowadays for modafinil why is Shire and Cephalon don't lower their price? I would think that to stay competitive a brand pharmaceutical should see its price decrease due to competition genrics production.

And yeah India is known to get around pharmaceutical law regarding generics and cheaper products.

I understand it is a prescription drug and hoping for a price decrease due to competion is a bit off-label statement but its just so expensive...ha well

I guess i should have ask myself the reason why Sun-Pharma is half the price of Provigil before giving it a try

#22 Parleton Trent

• 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Right...

The FDA requires the bioequivalence of the generic product to be between 80% and 125% of that of the innovator product. Bioequivalence, however, does not mean that generic drugs must be exactly the same ("pharmaceutical equivalent") as their innovator product counterparts, as chemical differences may exist (different salt or ester – a "pharmaceutical alternative").

Even if the Cephalon formulation patent is expired by now, that raise a question as WHAT IS MODALERT if differences in chemical structure is allowed? Also if generics are produced aggresively nowadays for modafinil why is Shire and Cephalon don't lower their price? I would think that to stay competitive a brand pharmaceutical should see its price decrease due to competition genrics production.

And yeah India is known to get around pharmaceutical law regarding generics and cheaper products.

I understand it is a prescription drug and hoping for a price decrease due to competion is a bit off-label statement but its just so expensive...ha well

I guess i should have ask myself the reason why Sun-Pharma is half the price of Provigil before giving it a try

Right...

The FDA requires the bioequivalence of the generic product to be between 80% and 125% of that of the innovator product. Bioequivalence, however, does not mean that generic drugs must be exactly the same ("pharmaceutical equivalent") as their innovator product counterparts, as chemical differences may exist (different salt or ester – a "pharmaceutical alternative").

Pharma companies still maintain the price as long as possible because pharmaceutical after all is a business. They aren't in the market for saving life, otherwise we would have more drugs right now for obscure conditions. I mean, they wasted hundred if not billion of dollars or more for a mere drug. They will milk the cash cows as long as possible, while maintaining the customer illusion that brand name is a FAR superior product, while the generic version is in fact the same or just a bit lower potency due to chemical differences as mentioned and the standards/quality of synthesis as compare to larger companies -- obviously larger companies have more cash resource for these of kinds.

I guess Modaleart is just Modaleart, as long as it is near the quality of Provigil, I do not mind the small differences in the structure. There is no set of standard defintion for what is an effective nootrophic/memory/cognitive-enhancer. Modafinil happened to work because somewhere in the brain there is a place for that general chemical structure. Modaleart or any other modafinil derivative also fit that role nicely.

While I have not try Provigil, Modaleart for Sun Pharma is pretty affective for me at least. Took 3 hours to kick in though, last for around 12 to 20 hours

#23 Parleton Trent

• 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Right...

Pharma companies still maintain the price as long as possible because pharmaceutical after all is a business. They aren't in the market for saving life, otherwise we would have more drugs right now for obscure conditions. I mean, they wasted hundred if not billion of dollars or more for a mere drug. They will milk the cash cows as long as possible, while maintaining the customer illusion that brand name is a FAR superior product, while the generic version is in fact the same or just a bit lower potency due to chemical differences as mentioned and the standards/quality of synthesis as compare to larger companies -- obviously larger companies have more cash resource for these of kinds.

I guess Modaleart is just Modaleart, as long as it is near the quality of Provigil, I do not mind the small differences in the structure. There is no set of standard defintion for what is an effective nootrophic/memory/cognitive-enhancer. Modafinil happened to work because somewhere in the brain there is a place for that general chemical structure. Modaleart or any other modafinil derivative also fit that role nicely.

While I have not try Provigil, Modaleart for Sun Pharma is pretty affective for me at least. Took 3 hours to kick in though, last for around 12 to 20 hours

#24 bellcurve

• 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

If NUBRAIN is located in the US, why are they selling modafinil? I'm pretty sure it is a schedule IV substance, so that would be illegal.

#25 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hey whats up everyone, my first post, hope it doesnt look like a fake advertising account(you know when a guy with 1 post praises a particular website/product).

Anyway, i read this forum a lot, for a couple of years now, ever since i started taking piracetam. After reading some I decided to try Modafinil, to get better at school. I usually experience daily sleepyness(especially that "sleepy" feeling in your knees/legs where u wanna stretch every 10min and yawn every half a min, no less), EXTREME unmotivation to do homework, and drawn towards procrastination instead of working, like mindlessly browsing the internet(and thats death in 3rd year math faculty). Not that SWIM is lazy, but SWIM enjoys occasional vaporized THC and thinks its one of the factors, yet he cannot stop it cause his will is weak.

Anyway in the vendor area pharm-order dot com was pretty well recieved so i went with it. 50x100mg was $51.xx cnd total for on my cc-bill. I ordered and I thought I was ripped off cause 25 days later it wasnt there. Anyway the "letter" has arrived today, and I say letter cuz it looked exactly like letter, even bendable etc...felt like there was just hard paper inside... some stealth-packaging skills I must admit. inside was a sheet(shiny, reflective, with stuff like ML, B.No, MFG, EXP, MRP numbers at the back). Modalert 100.

Anyway I googled this forum for it and 1 thing that someone mentioned(maybe in this, thread, I dont remember) that his stuff dissolved in water easily while real modafinil should not, he also did not like his Modalert. So i took half of 100mg tablet, crushed it, and tried to mix it in water, but powder did not dissolve at all. maybe this is a good indicator that its real Modalert.

I drank it(bitterrish taste) at 3pm since I couldnt resist trying it right away. I took no supplements this day, and had probably best sleep of the week and actually felt quite fresh at the time(sometimes I feel the fatique I described earlier even after 8-9 hours of sleep). Yesterday I took close to 4grams of phenibut(primaforce powder, not as potent as previous phenibut(cognitive nutrition capsules) I tried, where 2g felt more potent then 4g of this) + 2g of piracetam + 250mg citicoline. Which is my "Interview" stack, aka gives me the ability to bullshit forever. Also unlike some people report I never feel phenibut hangover, I actually feel very fresh and well rested the day after, more like phenibut afterglow.

Anyway after drinking the solution(not technically a solution since powder didnt dissolve) on empty stomach i started feeling the effects coming on... my face turned a bit red(not a full blush but 1/4 maybe) and its definately working, i felt my heart raced for 10minutes tops, I just started doing stuff, I couldnt sit on my chair browsing the internet. Feeling amazing motivation to do stuff, like cleaning my room, doing dishes, making massive meal for a few days ahead etc... even started the assignment which is due on monday(in 4 days) which is very unlikely of me. I actually feel very subtle euphoria(almost non-existant) and everything I do just feels good. Talking to people feels good. Normally describing effects of a supplement would take me 5 sentences tops. Now I cant stop writing lol. Peak started at like at +2hr and still going on at +4.5hr. damn its 7:30 pm hope i wont have much trouble sleeping tonite. I mean only 50mg on generic Modalert shouldnt be this good... maybe its massive placebo... I dont know. I wanna try this with Piracetam, and then with Piracetam and Phenibut, should be amazing. Ill report later on if its a placebo or not.

Btw ppl who recommend the "real" stuff... some of us cant afford it. real provigil is too expensive. anyway I gotta stop typing peace every1 (i almost feel like obsessive-something ( when you cant stop doing w/e youre doing) ).

Edited by Pwnz0r, 16 July 2009 - 11:25 PM.

#26 mdma

• 102 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Come on now you took 50mg( quarter of a normal modalert tablet) of Modalert and you had this rush of motivation that led you to do cleaning and domestic task?....thats in your head serious modafinil aint cocaine yet alright

And if you look around properly, brand Alertec from cephalon is equally or just slighty above generic prices...

I remember saying in this post or another one about Modalert how different of a feeling it gave me compare to Alertec and i still say that, just last week-end before a Downhill biking day i tried( again...) Modalert 200 mg and i just felt like shit my heart was racing like if i took too much coffee, i wasnt focused at all seriously Sun Pharma from India,........ i dont think so.

Modafinil was marketed against sleep disorder and thats how it do its best effect: you aint suppose to feel it like a high or a rush, it just keeps you from falling asleep too much thats it.

Whatever euphoria you felt, sure wasnt related to Modafinil, since you say you took other nootropics in the same time i would give this credit to those other substances.

Edited by mdma, 16 July 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#27 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

its not really euphoria, i mean not like Phenibut for example, or alcohol/THC buzz where you can just sit back and enjoy. its more like doing stuff (anything from washing dishes to doing math) is fun and enjoyable. I cant actually just do nothing I must occupy myself with some task. I will report later whenever its a full or partial placebo. Hoping Im just lucky and modafinil is very compatible with my own physiology, unlike many other people who had mostly negative results.

#28 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:02 AM

Hi I have been taking Provigal now for about 4 to 5 years now daily I am prescribed 100mg in AM
I use it because of a sleep disturbance. and also that my alpha waves are on 24/7 and it helps me eventually be able tosleep
I take 50mg when I wake up and it gets me going and I think I know what you mean I am alert and able to get into whatever I am doing. If I do not take it I would be foggy and very unclear and not able to motivate myself as well because of the fog brain t that keeps me in a state of confusion and unable to be or get organized because of the confusion. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia .

Provigal really helps get my head out of the clouds. I then will take another 50 around 2:00. I honestly think 50mg is fine
You will not get the tension, edgy grinding teeth feling from when you take more then 100. This is a drug that you should begin on the lowest dose and see how you are first for about a week. I think most of you want clarity for testing and studying and I am sure that the lowest dose is the best

Everyone is different. I also have a friend with narcolepsy which is what this drug was made for who has been taking iit for 10 years and she only takes small doses because of the grinding teeth..etc.. and I have been with her when she just passes out in the middle of a sentence with Narcolepsy

You will never get a better clarity with adding more and you will not get it like speed because it does not work that way. I have alpha waves that are on 24/7 and that has caused a sleep disturbance... If you can you should spend a week and monitor yourself ( always take on an empty stomach)
and slowly try a little more like 3/4 tab and see how you do on that.

Since I take it everyday I can say that there are days that I felt it not waking me up and I will then take more. I also have found that sometime it takes about an hour longer to work then I am use to and then I will take a little more and I would eventually feel better It is never like euphoria or the type of high you get from speed.

It is just this sense of clarity and the ability to get what needs to be done
you need done The maximum to be taken in a day should be two ( 2x 100mg)and that I have seen on people who have been taking it for years daily Like I have. I do very well on 50mg in day and 50mg around 3:00

Everyone is different and what works well for me may not be what makes you do better. I do know that taking large doses sporadically to cram for exams and to mix them with other drugs is also very dangerous The theory that for you to cram to study you will need many memory enhancements and also taking as many pills you can get your hands on is also not good. I am not saying do not take them...

I am saying get to know yourself and investing time of setting up your own study and break the pills and half and quartered and see how that goes Read up on all side effects and also check in reading groups and forums

I have read some pretty outrageous amounts taken here and I do not see that as being wise or safe. It is nota pleasent feeling taking overdoses and you have no idea what damage you may be doing to your body
June

its not really euphoria, i mean not like Phenibut for example, or alcohol/THC buzz where you can just sit back and enjoy. its more like doing stuff (anything from washing dishes to doing math) is fun and enjoyable. I cant actually just do nothing I must occupy myself with some task. I will report later whenever its a full or partial placebo. Hoping Im just lucky and modafinil is very compatible with my own physiology, unlike many other people who had mostly negative results.

#29 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

I've had a not so great experience with Modalert obtained from Nubrain. I've tried varying doses from 100mg in the morning to another 100mg later in the day, 200mg in the morning only, and 50mg in the morning only, etc., and i've experienced nothing but extreme anxiety with no increase in alertness nor have I been able to stay up longer than normal.

Posted Image

Watch out, these look like fakes!
Look for other pictures on the forum, Modalert isn't supposed to look like this!

My batch (a good/real one) contains the following info on the backside:

M.L. : JK/...
B.No. : AD82...
MFG : 12/2008
EXP. : 11/2010
MRP Rs. 121.00
PER 10 TABLETS
INCL. OF ALL TAXES

This pic looks exactly like the fake I was sent last year from Visapharmacy.com

They ended up being breath mints, lol...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Wandering Jew

• 104 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

This pic looks exactly like the fake I was sent last year from Visapharmacy.com

They ended up being breath mints, lol...

how did you know they were breath mints? good thing not some worse poison/ toxin.

What's the secret to tell fake from non-fake?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users