Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol with anemia propensity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:51 AM

I don't want to start a new thread just for these, so hope it's ok to ask here. Should people whom are prone to anemia avoid Resveratrol or limit the dose? (Taking high amounts of iron doesn't seem right to me.) Also, on the Longevinex site it said high doses of Resveratrol break down collagen. At what dose would this start to occur?

Edit: I split this off from the 500 club. I think it deserves its own thread.

Edited by niner, 20 May 2009 - 01:50 AM.

#2 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hi nancyd,

First Longevinex contains IP6 which has more issues regarding anemia than resveratrol:

From Wikipedia with references:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Phytic_acid

(IP6) Phytic acid is a strong chelator of important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc, and can therefore contribute to mineral deficiencies in people whose diets rely on these foods for their mineral intake, such as those in developing countries.[6][7] It also acts as an acid, chelating the vitamin niacin, which is basic, causing the condition known as pellagra. [8] In this way, it is an anti-nutrient, despite it's theraputic effects (see below) which simultaneously make it a (phyto)-nutrient.[1] For people with a particularly low intake of essential minerals, especially young children and those in developing countries, this effect can be undesirable.

It almost appears that Longevinex is throwing resveratrol under the bus, instead of IP6, which apparently has the issues as a strong chelator, and bad for some children and anemics. Why this kind of marketing? Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I can only assume he is doing it to protect his sales, or from bleeding customers to other supplement providers who offer more resveratrol at better prices.

Now, about Resveratrol and Collagen:
==========================================
Take some time to learn about Collagen if you are a member:
http://www.medscape....warticle/423231

Here is an abstract, regarding too much or too little collagen:
http://cardiovascres...t/full/41/2/376

So what does Resveratrol do?
====================

It seems to limit it in stroke prone rats, to protect them:
http://www.sciencedi...af2f7705fb2fb54

At what dose?
=========
Here it states that it was in a non-dose dependent manner, which suggests that mega-doses are not issues:
http://www2.hcmuaf.e...Resveratrol.pdf

The
most accepted mechanism of cardioprotection by resveratrol is
the inhibition of platelet aggregation (Bhat and others 2001a).
Platelets are cells without nuclei that are made in the bone marrow
and function to stop bleeding via aggregation at the wound
site. Platelets can be activated by several different factors, including
adenosine diphosphate (ADP), collagen, and thrombin.
When activated platelets change morphology they aggregate and
seal damaged blood vessels. Excessive aggregation can lead to the
development of cardiovascular disease. Pretreatment of platelets
with resveratrol has been shown to inhibit lipopolysaccharide
(LPS) and LPS + thrombin-stimulated platelet adhesion to collagen
and fibrinogen in a non-dose-dependent manner (Olas and
others 2002). Using in vitro and in vivo models,Wang and others
(2002) have demonstrated that resveratrol inhibits ADP, collagen,
and thrombin-stimulated human platelet aggregation in vitro. Furthermore,
rabbits receiving resveratrol supplementation had reduced
rates of platelet aggregation when fed a high cholesterol
diet. The prevention of calcium influx through the stored operated
calcium channels has been suggested as a target for resveratrol
in the inhibition of thrombin-induced platelet aggregation
(Dobrydneva and others 1999).

Again, take the Longevinex marketing with a grain of salt.
At this point I don't see the issue, and there are no studies that I have read stating that resveratrol reduced too much collagen, and has caused issues.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 20 May 2009 - 02:13 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Al4ina

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

I see this is an old post, so I don’t know if I’m supposed to answer here. But as I was wondering kind of the same thing as OP I found some useful info:

First Resveratrol is part of a group of compounds called polyphenols

I found an study from University College London that conclude polyphenols can reduce iron levels by messing with the iron hormone Hepcidin. "Hepcidin through its control of iron flux is now regarded as the central regulator of body iron homeostasis"

http://gtr.rcuk.ac.u...ef=BB/H003576/1

1) Polyphenols (Particularly quercetin) induced hepcidin expression, which was accompanied by a reduction in serum iron levels and corresponding decrease in transferrin saturation

2) Polyphenols induce hepcidin expression by overriding the repression of NrF2 by Keap1, and this NrF2/Keap1 redox sensor integrates a transcriptional circuitry in which hepcidin expression and its regulation of iron metabolism are linked by the stress response.

But on the other hand they injected the polyphenols, and they say the inducing hepcidin expression may not work if the polyphenols were swallowed instead.

Of all the polyphenols studied quercetin was the one with the greatest effect on hepcidin expression and lowering of body iron status if administered by an intraperitoneal route. Its usefulness as a hepcidin inducer is limited if administered by an oral route, because very small amount is absorbed as a parent compound because the intestine rapidly metabolizes it. 

So unless you inject the stuff your anemia should be ok in the context of Hepcidin regulation. But then they mention that some polyphenols can chelate iron, directly inhibit iron absorption from the food you eat… I guess this would be not so great for anemic ppl

"There has been circumstantial evidence that polyphenols can alter iron absorption by chelating iron."

Not all polyphenols can chelate iron

3) Quercetin3 OH was essential for chelating iron and inhibiting iron efflux from the intestine mucosa.

So I’m not sure if this means that Resveratrol even thou it’s a polyphenol maybe isn’t able to chelate iron, and therefore can’t actually inhibit iron absorption?

Also I found this https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23975182 

Where Resveratrol helped make anemia better in mice who had Beta thalassemia, a blood disorder that reduces the production of hemoglobin. How and why Resveratrol did that, I haven’t had the energy to decrypt, Im actually not that science savvy so feel free to correct my stuff

• Informative x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users