- - - - -

Eyebrow Hairs Turning White / Oxidative Stress

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Redhill

• 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

Hello,

I hope this post finds everyone well. I also hope that you might take the time to offer some insight as this is very important to me.

I am experiencing an issue with my eyebrows hairs turning prematurely white. I have been going gray (both with facial hair and on the head since my late 20's) but I have to draw the line at eyebrow hair as it is significantly affecting my confidence / life at this point.

My hair starting turning gray in my late 20's with a combination of massive stress at work and long nights of drinking and smoking to deal with that stress.

I have since learned my lesson and stopped drinking / smoking and deal with stress in more productive ways.

However, I want to start taking supplements to ensure that I get the best nutrition each day and also try to undo some of the cellular damage.

I was considering starting with Nature's Way Whole Food Energizer and a Superfood Greens Drink (either Emerald Balance, Green Vibrance, or Perfect Food.)

Does this sound like a solid foundation to ensure that I will get at least my nutritional needs? I also eat mostly fruit and vegetables these days and am thinking of taking three small doses of each per day to ensure absorption.

Also, in regards to cellular defense / damage, would Rooibos tea be helpful? Are there any other antioxidants that will be superior and prevent further hair from turning white?

Someone had also mentioned protein as perhaps being helpful due to its benefit with hair and nail health overall.

I also know that Dr. Schulze suggests adding some Intestinal cleansing supplement as well as Echinacea (along with Superfood drinks) as the top 3 foundational must-have supplements.

Anyway, you can see that there is a lot on my mind with this! Any thoughts in regards to the above regimen as well as other things to consider (I want to start with 3-4 supplements to get going until my finances improve) would be very sincerely appreciated!

Thanks for your time in reading this and all the best.

-Redhill

#2 biochemie

• 94 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

Check out some threads by DukeNukem:

http://www.imminst.o...o...c=26518&hl=

I don't think echinacea is on anyone's top list. First off would be diet. Out goes refined sugars and processed foods, carbs, etc...
Them you have your vitamins

Vit.D and C
Magnesium
Omega 3 (EPA and DHA) not flax!
Vitamin K2
Niacin

With food you have blueberries, brocolli, pomegrenate, etc...

VitD C, K2 and magnesium are all pretty cheap. Niacin as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

I don't think echinacea is on anyone's top list. First off would be diet. Out goes refined sugars and processed foods, carbs, etc...

Vit.D and C
Magnesium
Vitamin K2
Niacin

Do you think the Superfoods Supplement would cover most of this nutrition?

Thanks!

#4 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Vit.D and C
Magnesium
Vitamin K2
Niacin

Thanks!

The superfood supplement would only help with the magnesium (on the above list), as chlorophyll is basically a hemoglobin molecule with a magnesium at the center instead of an iron, so anything green = moar magnesium. However, you should definitely look into supplemental vitamin D, maybe around 2000 iu per day, depending on sun exposure, skin pigmentation, blood work, etc. Unless you eat a lot of goose liver and/or fermented soy (natto) and/or pasture-fed butter, you probably aren't getting much vitamin K2.

Niacin can be supplemented sanely for its beneficial effects on cholesterol, higher doses probably require a methyl donor like SAMe or TMG as megadoses soak up methyl groups, if I remember Krillin's analysis correctly. Vitamin C, as you may have noticed, is a hotly contested issue around here, but everyone agrees that one should get plenty from fruits and vegetables. I prefer red bell peppers to vitamin C supplements, but to each their own.

I second biochemie's recommendation to pick up some fish oil, unless you regularly consume fatty fish.

As far as hair whitening, I believe there's a genetic component to this, but good sleep, good nutrition, exercise, and meditation would be the best approach, I should think :)

#5 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'm curious: have you had your homocysteine measured?

#6 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

This sounds like a copper deficiency. Some sources say ALL grey hairs are caused by insufficient copper. This has yet to be proven though. You can start by testing serum ceruloplasmin and copper levels. Don't run off and take copper before you get testing done. Too much can be very bad for you. Just in case though, look into glisodin ' superoxide dismutase. The majority of the problems associated with deficient copper are really caused by absence of this copper dependent enzymes. It has helped me very much.

Interestingly, too much copper as seen in wilson's disease turns the beard and hair a reddish, copper color.

#7 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

FYI:

this blog entry summarizes a recent discovery by scientists of exactly why hairs turn gray/white:

http://anti-agingfir...hair-turn-gray/

note the comment section. sesame oil (a copper heavy food source) + resveratrol probably would be ideal to turn grey hairs black. though, stephen's comments re: homocysteine are worth looking into.

you may simply be deficient in the series of nutrients, such as B6, B12 vitamins and folate. it doesn't sound like you have anything related to an intestinal problem. the green superfoods might be ideal in this regard, but you may just get the same solution out of eating spinach. i've not looked at these products you are talking about. but if you look up the homocysteine threads on this forum, you can probably figure out what vitamins you are trying to emphasize.

i would suggest you rebalance your life entirely re: stress, work, drinking, smoking. premature graying is probably telling you something about your body and where it is headed...

Edited by prophets, 25 May 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#8 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:02 AM

I'm curious: have you had your homocysteine measured?

No.

I am one of those people who is winging this and will not be able to afford (at the moment) constant measurments...

I did research this...

How does it play into gray hair?

#9 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:04 AM

Vit.D and C
Magnesium
Vitamin K2
Niacin

Thanks!

The superfood supplement would only help with the magnesium (on the above list), as chlorophyll is basically a hemoglobin molecule with a magnesium at the center instead of an iron, so anything green = moar magnesium. However, you should definitely look into supplemental vitamin D, maybe around 2000 iu per day, depending on sun exposure, skin pigmentation, blood work, etc. Unless you eat a lot of goose liver and/or fermented soy (natto) and/or pasture-fed butter, you probably aren't getting much vitamin K2.

Niacin can be supplemented sanely for its beneficial effects on cholesterol, higher doses probably require a methyl donor like SAMe or TMG as megadoses soak up methyl groups, if I remember Krillin's analysis correctly. Vitamin C, as you may have noticed, is a hotly contested issue around here, but everyone agrees that one should get plenty from fruits and vegetables. I prefer red bell peppers to vitamin C supplements, but to each their own.

I second biochemie's recommendation to pick up some fish oil, unless you regularly consume fatty fish.

As far as hair whitening, I believe there's a genetic component to this, but good sleep, good nutrition, exercise, and meditation would be the best approach, I should think :)

Sound advice at the end there. Well taken ;]

The ingredients in Alive! (at the following link):

http://www.drugstore...min_tablets.htm

seems to show that all of the above vitamins / nutrients, apart from the K2, are included.

Do you think this supplement is a good source?

Also, the serving size is 3 pills and I am thinking of taking 1 pill with 3 meals each day. Does this make sense?

#10 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

This sounds like a copper deficiency. Some sources say ALL grey hairs are caused by insufficient copper. This has yet to be proven though. You can start by testing serum ceruloplasmin and copper levels. Don't run off and take copper before you get testing done. Too much can be very bad for you. Just in case though, look into glisodin ' superoxide dismutase. The majority of the problems associated with deficient copper are really caused by absence of this copper dependent enzymes. It has helped me very much.

Interestingly, too much copper as seen in wilson's disease turns the beard and hair a reddish, copper color.

The Alive! supplement reflects 2mg Copper as Amino Acid Chelate.

Will this be adequate or should I also eat a certain kind of food on top of this?

Thanks again!

#11 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Ah, I thought you were talking about a superfood green powder like this one. That's just a multivitamin, and not a particularly good one (e.g. too much vitamin A, not enough vitamin D, only the alpha isomer of vitamin e [and in synthetic form, and overdosed] and cyanocobalamin instead of methylcobalamin, etc etc). I'd look into AOR's ortho-core or maybe... well I was gonna say the life extension mix, but their vitamin E is all buggered up too.

2mg of copper is the most I would ever be willing to take (to balance out zinc supplementation) in the absence of a documented copper deficiency. As I mentioned before, 2000iu of vitamin D is a good jumping off point, many must go higher to hit the 40-55 ng/ml range. Unless you eat a lot of leafy greens, I'd recommend 200-500mg of magnesium - as anything but magnesium oxide - per day, and the majority of Americans are deficient (I'm assuming that you're American :)).

Also, don't 'cleanse' your intestine.

Best of Luck,
VG

#12 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ah, I thought you were talking about a superfood green powder like this one. That's just a multivitamin, and not a particularly good one (e.g. too much vitamin A, not enough vitamin D, only the alpha isomer of vitamin e [and in synthetic form, and overdosed] and cyanocobalamin instead of methylcobalamin, etc etc). I'd look into AOR's ortho-core or maybe... well I was gonna say the life extension mix, but their vitamin E is all buggered up too.

2mg of copper is the most I would ever be willing to take (to balance out zinc supplementation) in the absence of a documented copper deficiency. As I mentioned before, 2000iu of vitamin D is a good jumping off point, many must go higher to hit the 40-55 ng/ml range. Unless you eat a lot of leafy greens, I'd recommend 200-500mg of magnesium - as anything but magnesium oxide - per day, and the majority of Americans are deficient (I'm assuming that you're American :) ).

Also, don't 'cleanse' your intestine.

Best of Luck,
VG

VG,

Thanks for the response.

I am starting with Garden of Life Perfect Food! My base, to start, will be GOL Perfect Food and one multivitamin.

Will the Perfect Food give me the magnesium we are talking about?

I have also just started taking the Alive! multivitamin. Is there another one you would suggest? I am shocked to hear you say there is synthetic vitamin E in it as I was under the impression this is whole food supplement? I thought there were no synthetic ingredients in whole food supplements?

Lastly, what is so important about Vitamin D? I guess I am wondering what is so important about magnesium and Vitamin D as it applies to graying hair. Or are they just for overall health?

Thanks again for any further information!

#13 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:07 AM

My mistake. It does contain 'retinol palmitate' i.e. retinyl palmitate, which is a synthetic form of vitamin A.

It is unfortunate that Perfect Food doesn't list its magnesium content. I'd get in contact with the company and ask them, if I were you. However, the more green food you eat, the more magnesium you get, so it's a good start.

Vitamin D is a big deal for bone health, cardiovascular health, immune health, cancer prevention, depression, autoimmune disease, and later in life, cognitive function. It's probably the most important nutrient I can think of, in terms of things the average person is probably insufficient in. At least 1 billion people are D deficient, if I recall correctly. Here's some good reading for when you have time:

http://www.imminst.o...o...&hl=vitamin
http://www.freethean...all-cancer.html
http://www.freethean...-mortality.html
http://www.msnbc.msn...s/health-aging/
http://www.westonapr...indmiracle.html

As I recommended in my last post, the only multivitamin I can recommend with a good conscience is AOR's Ortho-Core.

Cheers,
VG

#14 biochemie

• 94 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

My mistake. It does contain 'retinol palmitate' i.e. retinyl palmitate, which is a synthetic form of vitamin A.

It is unfortunate that Perfect Food doesn't list its magnesium content. I'd get in contact with the company and ask them, if I were you. However, the more green food you eat, the more magnesium you get, so it's a good start.

Vitamin D is a big deal for bone health, cardiovascular health, immune health, cancer prevention, depression, autoimmune disease, and later in life, cognitive function. It's probably the most important nutrient I can think of, in terms of things the average person is probably insufficient in. At least 1 billion people are D deficient, if I recall correctly. Here's some good reading for when you have time:

http://www.imminst.o...o...&hl=vitamin
http://www.freethean...all-cancer.html
http://www.freethean...-mortality.html
http://www.msnbc.msn...s/health-aging/
http://www.westonapr...indmiracle.html

As I recommended in my last post, the only multivitamin I can recommend with a good conscience is AOR's Ortho-Core.

Cheers,
VG

Yeah I second that, Ortho Core would be a good way to go to get some bases covered. That and some fish oil and you're already ahead. Complement missing D, K2 (i think it has a ridiculously small amount of K2) and you're good. Then you could go to more elaborate supplements. Even then, before one of those superfoods i'd look into alpha lipoic acid, pycnogenol, etc... just read the threads. Oh, you can start right now eating more broccoli & cabbage, it'll do you good.

Edited by biochemie, 27 May 2009 - 05:52 AM.

#15 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

I just noticed that one of my nose hairs is white. First grey hair in my entire body! Just in time for my 30th B-day! lol

#16 drtom

• 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have been taking resveratrol for 2 years.
Attached is a file (I hope!) that shows a moustache whisker changing from white back to black, FWIW.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 Happy Gringo

• 51 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Isn't it hydrogen peroxide produced around the hair follicles that causes grey hair? And I think vitamin C fixes this, so I wonder if a cream containing vitamin C applied to eyebrows once or twice daily would let them come back the normal color.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users