• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Apple Polyphenols to Reverse Gray Hair and Aging?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Redhill

• 36 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:32 AM

Any thoughts about the information at the ad below?

http://www.applepoly.com/catalase/

Other (less biased) sources are reporting that lack of the enzyme catalase causes gray hair and that consuming bitter apple skins can add these polyphenols (with this enzyme) in to the system and thus reverse gray hair?

If anyone thinks that this will be helpful, what apples specifically would be best?

I would like to get them at the supermarket, cut off the skins, and use them in my green smoothie...

Any advice appreciated.

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

Obviously, their trying to sell their product so we'd need a few more sources but I hear apples are very good for you. Unfortunately the ones sold in modern supermarkets aren't nearly as good for you as the naturally occurring varieties.

It says the best ones are the small sour apples. I assume they mean the "cooking apples". You can't buy these here in at my local supermarkets. The closest can buy are granny smith. You use the cooking apples to make apple pie. yum.

There are some cheaper ones that come up on an amazon search btw. I was thinking of posting them with an affiliate link but that might be a good way to get people upset. :)

Edited by caston, 04 July 2009 - 05:04 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

Anyone else have experience with taking this type of supplement?

Apple Poly or an Apple polyphenol extract?

#4 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

polyphenols are a very broad set of compounds, of which the most effective subset is touted to be quercetin; from what I recall red delicious and granny smith have the highest amount of quercetin; but then quercetin can be bought directly as an independent supp, so not that much need for sour apples. Is anybody here supplementing massive amounts of quercetin, and if yes, any effect on delayed graying of the hair? (but I wonder how could one tell if it's the genes or the supplement...)

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

This was all I found after a short search on hubmed:

http://www.thieme-co...55/s-2002-35657

Polyphenols from the Heartwood of Cercidiphyllum japonicum and their Effects on Proliferation of Mouse Hair Epithelial Cells

Keisuke Towatari1, Kiyo Yoshida1, Nobuhiro Mori1, Kuniyoshi Shimizu1, Ryuichiro Kondo1, Kokki Sakai1
1 Department of Forest and Forest Products Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Abstract

The methanol extract of heartwood of Cercidiphyllum japonicum (Cercidiphyllaceae) stimulated proliferation of mouse hair epithelial cells, similar to minoxidil and procyanidin B-2. (+)-Taxifolin (2), quercetin (3), myricetin (4), (+)-dihydromyricetin (5) and gallic acid (6) were isolated from C. japonicum and showed significant proliferative activities on the hair epithelial cells.

#6 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Kind of shocked there is not more conversation about this when they have been reputed to score so highly on the ORAC scale and have such health benefits...

#7 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

Kind of shocked there is not more conversation about this when they have been reputed to score so highly on the ORAC scale and have such health benefits...

You'll find that there are numerous antioxidants that have advertised high ORAC ratings. We need to be able to choose which supplements target our goals most effectively. Simply having a high ORAC rating is not enough - I'd like to know more specifically what effects the supplement will have on my body. To ascertain this, we attempt to evaluate controlled studies. Of course our information is incomplete...

Most of us want to see that a supplement may help increase life-span, or at least improve bio-markers (often in blood tests) correlated with longevity. If a supplement has a high ORAC value, but no evidence to support its use in improving, say, glutathione levels, cholesterol, brain function, etc... then I couldn't logically spend money on that unproven supplement. I'd want several convincing studies supporting its positive effects while also demonstrating its safety.

About apple polyphenols:

Numerous anti-oxidants, including apple polyphenols, have been discussed here before I'm sure. Perhaps they are worthwhile - I've never read the available literature. I merely wanted to highlight the importance of looking beyond the ORAC value marketing.

Edit: And I'll probably look into apple polyphenols in the near future. Thanks.
Edit 2: http://www.applepoly...s.com/index.htm - this seems to be their advertising research.

Edited by VampIyer, 06 July 2009 - 08:30 AM.

#8 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

You'll find that there are numerous antioxidants that have advertised high ORAC ratings. We need to be able to choose which supplements target our goals most effectively. Simply having a high ORAC rating is not enough - I'd like to know more specifically what effects the supplement will have on my body. To ascertain this, we attempt to evaluate controlled studies. Of course our information is incomplete...

Most of us want to see that a supplement may help increase life-span, or at least improve bio-markers (often in blood tests) correlated with longevity. If a supplement has a high ORAC value, but no evidence to support its use in improving, say, glutathione levels, cholesterol, brain function, etc... then I couldn't logically spend money on that unproven supplement. I'd want several convincing studies supporting its positive effects while also demonstrating its safety.

About apple polyphenols:

Numerous anti-oxidants, including apple polyphenols, have been discussed here before I'm sure. Perhaps they are worthwhile - I've never read the available literature. I merely wanted to highlight the importance of looking beyond the ORAC value marketing.

Edit 2: http://www.applepoly...s.com/index.htm - this seems to be their advertising research.

Thanks for the informative post. This is great information = especially as it applies to ORAC ratings. I would similarly appreciate your thoughts after researching Apple Polyphenols. I am specifically looking to reverse gray hair as my eyebrows are graying at 34...

I would also be curious to hear your thoughts about raw cacao powder...

#9 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

About apple polyphenols:

I also wanted to mention that someone in my family died of Alzheimer's disease
related complications...so if Apple Polyphenols assist with that it would be worth noting as well...

Thanks again

#10 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

Does anyone else have any thoughts in regards to: the safety of long term usage of a supplement like Apple Poly, apple polyphenols extract benefits as it applies to gray hair, and apple polyphenols extract benefits as it applies to Alzheimers?

Any thoughts would be sincerely apprecaited as I have been unable to find much unbiased research.

Best Regards,
Scott

#11 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

Other (less biased) sources are reporting that lack of the enzyme catalase causes gray hair and that consuming bitter apple skins can add these polyphenols (with this enzyme) in to the system and thus reverse gray hair?

If anyone thinks that this will be helpful, what apples specifically would be best?

I would like to get them at the supermarket, cut off the skins, and use them in my green smoothie...

Any advice appreciated.

DNA codes for Catalase The actual synthesis is through the well known mechanism of RNA transcription --> Ribosomes. It seems that 5% of all ribosomes in the liver cells are especifically for catalase synthesis. Catalase is tored in the peroxisome (a cell organelle) and is used when necessary to breakdown H202. (H202) is the stuff that was recently discovered to be the chemical that turns your hair white (its just a naturally ocuring bleach) You will not increase your cells catalase content by ingesting it. Even if it gets into your blood it does not pass through the cell wall. You will never turn your hair black by eating apples. Dont't buy it.

#12 Redhill

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

DNA codes for Catalase The actual synthesis is through the well known mechanism of RNA transcription --> Ribosomes. It seems that 5% of all ribosomes in the liver cells are especifically for catalase synthesis. Catalase is tored in the peroxisome (a cell organelle) and is used when necessary to breakdown H202. (H202) is the stuff that was recently discovered to be the chemical that turns your hair white (its just a naturally ocuring bleach) You will not increase your cells catalase content by ingesting it. Even if it gets into your blood it does not pass through the cell wall. You will never turn your hair black by eating apples. Dont't buy it.

Thanks for the info! Can you think of a way to increase cells catalase content?

#13 WYB

• 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the info! Can you think of a way to increase cells catalase content?

In case you haven't found this thread yet...

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=30882

Glisodin is supposed to raise catalase by 171% according to LEF.

http://www.lef.org/m...port_sod_02.htm

My wife and I just started taking NOW Foods GliSODin.

#14 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

be careful. by taking glisodin you may be shutting off your body's own endogenous SOD production. it may raise catalase levels 171% in the short run, but long-term adiminstration (1-2+ years) i've not seen data that explains what the implications are.

you have to be careful not to take something where your body becomes a slave to it. I have a bottle of GliSODin sitting in my room, but I only take it if I know I'm going to get like an X-Ray at a doctor's office, or when I was stripping paint off a wall (exposed to chemical fumes all day).

imo, GliSODin is best for people who have serious, degenerate conditions like HIV, Lupus, etc. where the body is already under constant stress.

#15 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

Any advice appreciated.

I don't know about gray hair but it certainly does regrow it. Have you tried Alibaba?

http://www.alibaba.c...le_Extract.html
http://www.alibaba.c...anidin_B_2.html

That site you linked looks too dubious.

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:53 AM

We've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence of facial hair darkening in resveratrol users. It's not uniform, though. There's a sprinkling of very dark hairs amid the gray hairs. Or is this an age-related change that would have happened without resveratrol? Hard to say without a controlled trial.

#17 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hm, if H202 is villain in gray hair by damaging melanocytes, and H202 levels does increase with aging, then n-acetyl-cysteine really should be good against grey hair since it is good at increasing gluthatione which removes H202. Cannot find a study regarding this but this looks (well, somewhat) promising:
"N-Acetylcysteine Protects Melanocytes against Oxidative Stress/Damage and Delays Onset of Ultraviolet-Induced Melanoma in Mice"
http://clincancerres...ract/13/19/5952

Edited by Blue, 20 August 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#18 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

yeah, the hair regrowth from apple were impressive. i add apple extract from 1fast400 to my shampoo.

#19 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

Topical multi-ingredient for hair growth including apple polyphenols:

Polaris Labs NR-07

#20 Arc

• 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:18 AM

Does anyone know if any apple polyphenols are preserved in apple cider vinegar, or if they are destroyed/removed in the process?

Reason I ask is because I drink apple cider vinegar after every meal I have, for a number of health reasons (it's awesome for killing a sore throat caused by bacteria for one), and I was wondering if I could already be reaping any additional benefits as mentioned in this thread.

#21 makoss

• 76 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Swanson carries a 125mg Apple Polyphenol extract which they tout as "maximum strength". Thought the ideal dosage is 1000 mg per day (2 x 500 mg).

http://www.swansonvi...il?n=4294967183

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

be careful. by taking glisodin you may be shutting off your body's own endogenous SOD production. it may raise catalase levels 171% in the short run, but long-term adiminstration (1-2+ years) i've not seen data that explains what the implications are.

you have to be careful not to take something where your body becomes a slave to it. I have a bottle of GliSODin sitting in my room, but I only take it if I know I'm going to get like an X-Ray at a doctor's office, or when I was stripping paint off a wall (exposed to chemical fumes all day).

imo, GliSODin is best for people who have serious, degenerate conditions like HIV, Lupus, etc. where the body is already under constant stress.

Bump..If the amount of catalase we produce decreases as we get older, isn't trying to keep it at more youthful levels something we should consider doing? I understand that we wouldn't want to slow down or shut off your body's own production, but might there be things to take that influence your body to naturally produce more youthful levels of catalase? I think this issue is similar to the one some have in regards to taking melatonin.

Should we stay away from things like ashwagandha, bacopa, and rhodiola, that have been shown to increase superoxide dismutase and catalase? Should we just stick with good old apple polyphenols and other polyphenols?

Or, as with things like melatonin and growth hormone, maybe we should leave this catalase thing alone.

I know this is all conjecture at this point. There really is no way of knowing for sure yet whether taking anything like glisodin or any other substance shown to increase catalase production will eventually slow down or shut down the body's natural production.

Edited by morganator, 19 February 2010 - 07:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users