Photo
- - - - -

Increased Hunger?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 npc3

• 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

Newbie here, on day 3 of 500mg of res by Biotiva. My stats: 34 yr old, female, 166 lbs, 5ft 7. Size 10. BP: 100/72, Resting Heart Rate: 48. Healthy but about 20 lbs overweight. I run cross country for 4 miles, 3x week, lift weights 3x week, do gym and home cardio about 3x week for 1 hr. I am trying to lose weight. I've lost 40 lbs over the past year. My reason for taking res is for the memory/learning benefits (getting ready to take board certification exams), overall health, and help in the weight loss department.

Only problem is I'm soooo hungry! Since day 2 I've nocticed I am constantly hungry. I was keeping my calories at 1500/day but now I'm having a real hard time sticking to 1700 cal. What gives? I thought I was supposed to have appetite suppression? I want to keep taking res but not if I have to fight away the hunger pangs all day... It's like I'll eat a meal and 20 min later am hungry again. I am eating the same routine foods that before res would satisfy my appetite.

One other thing is I feel a bit more tired. Granted it's only been 3 days so this might not be due to res.. I have noticed my dreams last night were incredibly visible, very real, in color, and I can still recall them. That is kinda neat (so long as I don't have nightmares, lol). I have also experienced flourescent yellow pee and increased # of bowel movements (all of which I've read others experience as well).

Is the increased hunger going to go away or get worse?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:49 AM

Newbie here, on day 3 of 500mg of res by Biotiva. My stats: 34 yr old, female, 166 lbs, 5ft 7. Size 10. BP: 100/72, Resting Heart Rate: 48. Healthy but about 20 lbs overweight. I run cross country for 4 miles, 3x week, lift weights 3x week, do gym and home cardio about 3x week for 1 hr. I am trying to lose weight. I've lost 40 lbs over the past year. My reason for taking res is for the memory/learning benefits (getting ready to take board certification exams), overall health, and help in the weight loss department.

Only problem is I'm soooo hungry! Since day 2 I've nocticed I am constantly hungry. I was keeping my calories at 1500/day but now I'm having a real hard time sticking to 1700 cal. What gives? I thought I was supposed to have appetite suppression? I want to keep taking res but not if I have to fight away the hunger pangs all day... It's like I'll eat a meal and 20 min later am hungry again. I am eating the same routine foods that before res would satisfy my appetite.

One other thing is I feel a bit more tired. Granted it's only been 3 days so this might not be due to res.. I have noticed my dreams last night were incredibly visible, very real, in color, and I can still recall them. That is kinda neat (so long as I don't have nightmares, lol). I have also experienced flourescent yellow pee and increased # of bowel movements (all of which I've read others experience as well).

Give it some time. It's been just three days.

I was going to ask which of that company's products you were taking, a 50% or a >=98% resveratrol, but the color of your pee indicates anthocyannins are being excreted, so it's a 50% product. This may be responsible for the dreams, and the bowel stimulation is due to the emodin in a 50% extract.

Increased appetite could be due to increased mitochondrial fat burning from resveratrol. When I've heard of increased hunger among resveratrol-users, it was in athletes who also performed vigorous aerobic activity. As long as you are burning more calories than you are eating, you should lose weight despite eating. 1700 calories would be a maintenance level for a woman of your size, who is sedentary. If you run for an hour and burn 800 calories, your maintenance level goes up to 2500 calories.

I would suggest taking resveratrol in the morning; studies have shown higher blood serum levels when taken in the morning, and there is a circatian rhythm to one's NAD levels, which interacts with resveratrol. Evening doses could disturb this rhythm.

I would also suggest supplementing with CoQ10 (co-enzyme Q) as it increases NAD levels which serve as a substrate for for resveratrol's deacetylazation of P53. I take 400 mg of CoQ10 in an oil-based capsule, though I am only guessing as to what an optimum dose would be for Q10.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

Note that there's a "Loss of Appetite" topic asking about just the opposite effect. I also recall some comments a couple of years ago in the "500 Club" to the effect of "I can eat if I want to, but I have to remind myself".

#4 npc3

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for your highly informative response to my post!

I will try it with the co-Q10. I've been taking it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning with a flax seed oil capsule. I read that taking it with an oil helps? Someone else said they take a couple Tbsp of olive oil but for a dieter that's too many calories to spare.

I do hope the hunger means increased fat burning. I actually am still losing weight even with the additional 200 cal/day but since it's only been 4 days it could be water related or a fluke or do to all the exercise I do. I'll have to compare my weight loss and measurements at the end of 30 days, to past months.

I thought that the starvation response that res initiates means conserving energy, decreased lipolysis, so it's a bit perplexing to see weight loss with increased calories, or any weight loss at all from res. I am really curious to see how this all plays out.....time will tell..

#5 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

I never understood that appetite suppression claim. It seems extremely susceptible to placebo effect and like npc3, I only get hungrier from rsv. Also like npc3 I get a lot of exercise every day.

Also I would bet that those who feel their appetite suppressed are a lot more prone to mentioning it than those who take rsv and don't feel anything at all about their appetite. I don't think anybody should actually expect to have their appetite suppressed by rsv, though it might happen for one reason or another.

#6 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

When I first started taking Longy at 400mg/day (a few days 500mg) I lost several pounds quiclkly, actually to what is near my ideal weight. I didn't attribte it to resveratrol since I didn't expect that, but eventually guessed that's what it had to be. I also thought I felt less hungry. But when I went down to 300mg then 200mg and 100mg the weight came back (about 8lbs) and I didn't notice surpressed hunger. So it could have been a placebo effect but the weight loss wasn't. I hadn't been down to that weight in years desite excercising a lot.

#7 MissM

• 22 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

NPC3,
I have been taking resveratrol for about 4 months. My experience has been ...if you have a side effect, wait a week or so, it will go away, and you will develop the opposite problem. (Female, taking 250 mg micronized/day Resgenetics) When I started, I had increased energy, incredibly soft and moist skin, decreased hunger, constipation, and kind of a de-sensitization in my nerve endings. Now, I am tired, skin is back to the original, I'm hungry all the time, no more de-sensitivity, and I have acute diarrhea. If it doesn't go away soon, I will have to stop taking it, as it is a deal breaker. The rest of the stuff I could put up with.

My blood pressure has decreased considerably though, 103/68. It used to be about 125 or 130/98.

#8 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

I have found that when experiencing gastro problems with Res. if I stop for a few days, then resume, it goes away. I think that there is a point where your body has enough of it. I have been taking oral Res for a similar amount of time, in my opinion its still working well, I think its important to have some days off for it to continue the positive effects, try taking it RLA/RDHLA for enhanced results.JMO

#9 npc3

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

I just wanted to report that yes, the hunger is starting to get more manageable. I've been on it a week now. However, I'm still eating more calories, 1700 to 1800 per day. If I ate that many calories in a day before starting res I would not lose weight. However, with res, I've lost 2 lbs last week which is fast for me! I believe that as the other poster suggested, I have made or am making more mitochondria which will burn more fuel/calories. Perhaps after quitting res you lose the extra mitochondria and start burning less so the weight will increase on the same amount of calories. I think if your going to stop you need to cut your calories to avoid the weight gain (my theory anyways). :|o

I also started taking it with CoQ10 as the above poster said to. Since then my energy level has been through the roof. Almost stimulant like but not jittery. The increased energy effects don't kick in until about 3 hrs after taking it. Also, my focus and concentration while studying has improved (I get way less distracting thoughts and seem to be linking concepts together faster and easier). My mood is great, happy, calm, relaxed. I'm loving it.

After only 1 week I am convinced this stuff works! I sure hope the effects last or get even better. I've even started my husband on it.

Regarding vivid dreams, the one time I had them, I had taken a pill later in the day around 4 or 5. I've not had vivid dreams when I take the pills first thing in the morning.

I'll take this stuff the rest of my life if it means I can eat more, be healthier, live longer and not gain weight once I reach my goal weight, lol.

#10 MissM

• 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I have found that when experiencing gastro problems with Res. if I stop for a few days, then resume, it goes away. I think that there is a point where your body has enough of it. I have been taking oral Res for a similar amount of time, in my opinion its still working well, I think its important to have some days off for it to continue the positive effects, try taking it RLA/RDHLA for enhanced results.JMO

Just to update, I did stop and start the res until I found the cause. When I was off res, things improved, but I think the real culprit was the Advil that I was taking each night for a sinus headache. Stopped the Advil, and now I'm in good shape. It was something that I had not even considered. For me, res and Advil are not a good combination..

#11 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

Agreed, otc pain meds produce sides, aspirin seems to be the least problematic IMO. Regular and occasional breaks from supplements are prudent practice. Regarding Resveratrol, maybe some things dont mix with it well or counteract its efficacy and produce sides. Ive been taking the same product as you for some months now and experienced the same observations as you regarding skin, energy etc. Are you still taking Resveratrol?

#12 MissM

• 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Agreed, otc pain meds produce sides, aspirin seems to be the least problematic IMO. Regular and occasional breaks from supplements are prudent practice. Regarding Resveratrol, maybe some things dont mix with it well or counteract its efficacy and produce sides. Ive been taking the same product as you for some months now and experienced the same observations as you regarding skin, energy etc. Are you still taking Resveratrol?

Yes, I'm still taking it. I switched from the X500 a couple of weeks ago, and that is when I noticed the increased hunger. On the X500, I was able to lose 5 lbs without even trying. I don't know if it was the change in supplement type, or just an inevitable switch in my body's reaction. I may go back to the the X500 for a while, just to see if my hunger decreases again. I am perplexed about the total 180 switch in the side effects. I sure wish I could get the old ones back.

#13 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

Could just be a change in physiology, I wouldnt worry about it, our body tells us when we need more food. Its good to listen to our body feedback.

#14 npc3

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

Just wanted to update on my experience thus far. No longer feeling hungry all the time. I did notice on about week 2 all of the sudden my cardio seemed real easy. Like I would normally be working hard at a level 2 with heart rate in the 160s, now I have to crank it up to a level 5 or 6 to get the same heart rate. Cardio just seems easier, breathing easier and I'm not so exhausted afterwards. I even do an extra lap on my cross country runs..

Sleep is restful and more sound. I seem to be waking up earler naturally. Plus feel like I want to spring out of bed with energy as opposed to begging to sleep 10 more min.

I no longer seem to have mood elevation like I was feeling, but just feel my normal self.

As for my weight loss. It is continuing at my preRes rate (1 to 1.5 lbs/week). However, I do feel like my fat has gotten more soft and liquidy the way it gets when blood supply to it has been increased which means my body is tapping it for fuel and subsequent weight loss. I do feel like I am getting leaner faster. That could all be in my head but I think the Res is having an effect on my body fat.

My husband who is mainly sedentary has also been taking it now for about 3 weeks and has not reported feeling any different.

#15 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

Im glad to hear its working for you. The actual weight loss and fat burning is not placebo, that effect levels off somewhat, but remains. The other perceptions may be placebo. I think that people who exercise are more likely to notice a difference. Please stay with it and post your experiences.

#16 npc3

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

So it's only been about a month of taking Res and although I've only lost 4 lbs I now can wear a size 8!! I weigh 162/3, started Res at 166. My size 10's are falling off me so went shopping to find 8's fit well. I do believe (as stated in my above post) that my fat is being utilized more. I've noticed my fat areas (belly, butt, upper thighs) really really get sweaty when I run, I mean drenched with sweat. I seemed to sweat "evenly" over my body before taking Res, kinda weird. I also swear my belly fat rolls have shrunk and just feel different (liquidy and softer). It must be true because my dress size has gone down.

My husband reports he feels his fat is changing as well, similiar to me, that it's getting less "hard." We shall see what happens.

I started my mom on Res as well..

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I noticed the exact same thing. 2 months of gastro issues right from the moment I started high dose Resv. Then I stopped for 5 days. Started taking it at high doses again, and absolutely zero issues from then onwards. Bizarre.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users