Photo

David Murdock

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

http://www.oprah.com...cise-eats-video

Why has David Murdock not been discussed before on here? He sounds exactly like our sort of guy.

From the Salisbury Post via Singularity Hub:

Murdock became convinced that nutrition and exercise can fend off disease after his wife died of cancer in 1985. He has said that her death was his fundamental motivation for founding the research campus.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 23 August 2009 - 01:52 AM.

#2 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

Interesting article about billionaire David Murdock. He built North Carolina Research Campus, dedicated to his belief that diet and eating plants can bring maximal life span.

http://www.nytimes.c...6murdock-t.html

I think it is good that David Murdock is funding this type of research, but hopefully he is informed that life extension is a combination of diet and also genetics. I believe funding of genetic research for life extension would most likely bring more effective results.

Edited by firespin, 08 March 2011 - 04:53 AM.

• like x 1

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Interesting article about billionaire David Murdock. He built North Carolina Research Campus, dedicated to his belief that diet and eating plants can bring maximal life span.

I think it is good that David Murdock is funding this type of research, but hopefully he is informed that life extension is a combination of diet and also genetics. I believe funding of genetic research for life extension would most likely bring more effective results.

Interesting indeed. Unfortunately he'll soon and inevitably die, and i'm afraid his son won't continue his quest and research for life extension.
  • like x 1

#4 Technoearthling

• 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Interesting indeed. Unfortunately he'll soon and inevitably die, and i'm afraid his son won't continue his quest and research for life extension.

Possibly. We can only hope such things are close to his heart.

Edited by Michael, 22 March 2011 - 08:09 PM.
trim quotes

• Agree x 1

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Here is a typical daily diet for Murdoch. Not bad, but the diets of most Longecity members are far superior. He is probably killing himself by going so low on fat. Looks like he gets a little from salmon, a little from nuts, and a tiny bit from veggies. Too many grains as well. Someone should email him, seriously. He needs some education if he wants to live to 125.

His story is interesting and positive from the perspective of life extension advocacy, but infuriating that he thinks he can eat grains, vegetables, and grapes (of all things) and achieve radical life extension. His research center is a huge waste of money, sorry to say, but it is the truth. The only thing valuable going on is the collection of blood samples and long term aging bio-marker analysis.There is already too much research into diet and nutrition. Just think what could be accomplished through SENS with the $500 million that it cost to build that monstrous building in North Carolina.
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Genetics, again. Certain genetic combinations do best with a low fat diet. Others are fine with high saturated fats, another group thrives best with the Mediterranean style diet, high in mono-unsaturated fats.

#7 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Here is another article on Murdock. Great to hear he is still plugging away. This particular article says "he wants to help people live forever". I wonder if that is an accurate quote. I wonder if he doles out research grants, or if it would be fruitful for SENS to establish a presence at his research facility.
  • like x 1

#8 Karl909

• 37 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

I thought I had read that he is now investing in biotechnology, anyone know if this is correct and if it's useful stuff?
  • unsure x 1

#9 Janusz Czoch

• 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:31 AM

Talking about it will not help. Having a high-profile presence at Mountain View and expecting to be noticed won't help. It is wrong to assume Murdock (or anyone else!) should get in touch - IF he's clever enough.

IMO in such an instance SRF must make the direct initial approach. Turn up NC with briefcse and blueprints. and say:

"We need from you X to do Y to accomplish Z" Where X and Y,Z are very precisely defined and clearly named.

Logically the following happens:

Q: "Who are you? Why have you come to us and not to somebody else?

i)   No. Please go away.

-or-

ii) There's a small cupboard round the back you could start using.

#10 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:26 PM

David Murdock is still alive and he is 91 years old.

I think he still thinks that life is amazing and beautiful and maybe he would like to be still alive in 2100 as well.

He can take part in the researches made at SENS, or generally he can just take action about

rejuvenation, ending aging and involuntary death.

He can help a lot and there must be some ways to reach him with this message of maximum importance

• like x 1

#11 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

He's lost his memory. :|o

#12 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

Take him off the carbs.Give the man some Hydergeine! He already eats enough veges. I'm seriously concerned :wacko: lol

#13 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

I hate fats too. That strongly indicates fats are the things to include in the diet while you are young and can still prevent cognitive decline. They always made me feel nauseated

#14 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

Also his wife died. it wasn't like his diet cured her or anything.

#15 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Why do you say that he lost his memory? I found no link that he has Alzheimer or anything degenerative

#16 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

He forgot his wallet. He knew he was going to buy food at the supermarket and he didn't bring his wallet.

#17 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

I thought you were talking serious. How old are you?

#18 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

i am I'm sure he has MCI and shouldn't someone who is physically fit also be mentally fit? He forgot something else that was important as well. I have to check see what it was. I seriously think this could be reversed if he eats more fat

#19 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

#20 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

The thing is his exercise should cause neuronal growth the thing that is missing is fat. The vegetables are really good though. Wish I ate that much vegetables. I just had some mushrooms and spinach and apple for lunch.

#21 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

Right he forgot he was being filmed. I hate to say it these are quite big mistakes. It really narrows things down to fat because he is doing so well in every other area. Fats are required for brain health

#22 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

What kind of fats are the highest quality kind of fats which really help brain health?

#23 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

This thread is about outreach. Please take fat/diet discussion elsewhere. There are many threads about such things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users