- - - - -

SENS4 Coverage

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Stop by this thread often from noon EST Friday (4th) through 6am EST Sunday (6th) for updates from SENS4.

-I have a handful of interviews scheduled for Saturday.

-Hopefully we will be broadcasting the Imminst meeting live.

-I'll post any other interesting developments here.

Much of potential live content will depend on how strong and distributed the Wi-Fi signal is around Queen's College.

I will have the camera and laptop with me at the Live Aid Concert on Sept 12th as well. However, Sven has indicated to me that it is unlikely there will be internet access within the concert hall. If there is no live broadcast, hopefully some of the video will be available soon after.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

I encourage all other Imminst members who will be at SENS4 to post comments/insights and pictures here as well.

#3 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

I won't be there, but I will follow the coverage like I will be.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Just recorded a test video, the last part of a lecture by Sudhir Paul regarding. beneficial catalytic immunity to amyloid beta. Link here.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

First impression is that there is so much promising research, yet not too much in the area of clinical trials. Treatments always seem a few years away.

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Here is something that was unveiled at the conference, a new promotional video from the Lifestar Institute. Will see about getting it on the front page of Imminst as well.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Testing out broadcasting some presentations. Camera is a bit blurry. Still working on the set-up. Will be interviewing Aubrey and a few others tomorrow.

#8 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

Here is something that was unveiled at the conference, a new promotional video from the Lifestar Institute. Will see about getting it on the front page of Imminst as well.

great video, I love it.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

Adela Ben-Yakar: Presentation here. Femtosecond laser nanosurgery from shedding light on nerve regeneration to aiding in cancer diagnosis and therapy

Abstract

This was interesting considering the recent funding drive for laser research by the institute. Trouble with using this type of laser for research, according to Abdela - a typical femtosecond laser costs $300,000. Positives: the femtosecond laser can ablate a single cell at a time, using a endoscopic probe. The end of the presentation Adela mentioned her interview in WIRED. After her interview in the magazine, she said she had at least 500 emails from cancer patients who were looking for some device that could reach and remove their tumors.

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Check http://www.imminst.org/tv or

From time-to-time you can catch some of the presentations live.

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

That Lifestar video is excellent.. I'm going to mention it on my blog.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

Those who are familiar with Cui's attempt at LIFT/GIFT therapy to treat cancer might be interested in this presentation: Cassian Yee: Engineering Tumor Immunity: Adoptive T Cell Therapy of Cancer

Abstract

Presentation here.

sorry about the drop-out right at the end, the laptop battery ran out.

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

Moses from Zoomers presented a video about ageism and how "zoomers" are influential and can help drive more attention/funding toward aging research.

#14 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

Natalia Gavrilova, presented on the factors that resulted in statistically signifcant chances of living to 100. Very interesting. Had to save the presentation in parts because the internet was dropping out at times.

Who has the highest chance of living to 100: First born of a "young" mother, live on a farm, being "slender" (not stout)

Abstract

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

#15 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

As is the case with conferences such as this, the most interesting discussions occur outside the lecture hall. I have met a few leading people from other organizations. They are all impressed with Imminst's grassroots capability (and recent fundraising). They would like to develop more collaboration in the future to leverage what we are good at and help accelerate progress in anti-aging medicine.

#16 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Abstract

Mike Berridge: Effects of mitochondrial gene deletion on tumorigenicity of metastatic melanoma: reassessing the Warburg effect.

More for the scientifically inclined. A little more technical. Presentation here.

#17 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Ülo Kristjuhan. Unfortunately Ulo, had a soft voice and a thick accent, so the video is hard to understand. He had some good data about longevity. Professionals live about 7 years longer than unskilled workers - on average.

Abstract

Presentation here.

#18 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'd like to know more about this:

Moses from Zoomers presented a video about ageism and how "zoomers" are influential and can help drive more attention/funding toward aging research.

Went to the site. It appears to be social network of progressive middle-aged people. They boomers with zing, or "zoomers."

I made an account, and I was browsing the site. I don't see any overt anti-aging plugs. It seems that they are pretty underground about their anti-aging support.

Could you elaborate more on the presentation?

Thanks mind! You da baoss.

#19 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

LifeStar also have a very good 30 minute video here (Regenerative Medicine):
http://www.lifestari...ename=resources

Edited by bio123, 05 September 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#20 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

A bit of an absence because I had trouble logging in to Imminst yesterday at times. It was nice to see Imminst members presenting at the conference. There have been some discussions lately about the ability or non-ability to attract more scientists to Imminst. I mentioned that Imminst has been around long enough that we "are growing our own" scientists, at least the type that present at a conference like SENS4.

Which reminds me, Justin Rebo (eternaltraveler) presented yesterday about therapeutic uses of magnetic removal of cells - specifically senescent white blood cells. It is a novel process that Justin and colleagues developed/accomplished in less time and at one tenth the cost than other mainstream researchers. Major cheers Justin!

Low quality video available here.

High quality recordings are being made, several people have video cameras. SENSF has an official videographer - I think captainbeefheart (Imminst member). He will have more information on when the videos will become available.

#21 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

A funny comment I have heard fairly often this weekend. "I have never been to a conference where so many people have laptops".

#22 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Short Aubrey De Grey Interview about SENS4 and the evolution of the SENS platform.

#23 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I do have a few pictures to post and I know JediMasterLucia has a few as well. Coming soon.

#24 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Looking forward to seeing some pictures :) I hope you guys have a lot of fun over there!

#25 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Be sure to check out these videos everybody. Leaving comments will help gain more views too. I watched Mind and Aubrey, and the Rebo and Gavrilova presentations. They were interesting forward moving great presentations.

Its interesting to see how Mind gets Aubrey to go over the evolution of the SENS conferences over the years. It ads even more motivation and inspiration to the state of the cause. Something that seems to be happening by the week now these days, rather than every other month or so a couple years ago. Aubrey talks about how the conferences went from hard fought synthesis, to a more automatic recognition. At this rate it seems likely that we will be seeing these conferences covered on the news in the coming years.

As they say, a journey of a million miles is taken 1 step at a time. We are getting there.

#26 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

how many people are attending?

#27 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

The total SENS4 attendance was nearly 400, last I heard.

#28 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

Caliban and Mind (and Kevin Perrott in the background)

Attached Files

#29 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

Caliban and Mind (and Kevin Perrott in the background)

I'm picturing Aubrey taking the picture hahahahah
Is great to see you two there!

#30 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

I do have a few pictures to post and I know JediMasterLucia has a few as well. Coming soon.

I have a lot of pictures of SENS 4 ( I have to put them on my computer)
I think I'll upload them to Photobucket, that is much easier than upload them here.

SENS 4 was great. It is good to see that there is many advances in science ;)
It was also nice to meet (new) people to see who people behind the nicknames are. :~

I have learned one thing at the conference: I want to learn more about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users