• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

more than 40k Japanese aged 100 or over

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 imm1288

• 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

http://www.reutershe...911elin010.html

#2 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

Welcome to imminst :)
  • like x 1

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

this is positive...
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

...'positive' because it might result in increased pressure on Japan to at least consider the possibility of developing rejuvenation tech as a solution to their demographic nightmare.
  • like x 1

#5 mikeb80

• 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Okinawa is one of the places in the world with more centenarians.
The longevity of the inhabitants of the island is all genetic?
http://www.okicent.org/study.html
Not at all. It depends on diet, environment and physical activity too.
I was very impressed to see photos and videos of centenarian karate masters, like Seikichi Uehara (1904-2004)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkPuw7mwss

Edited by mikeb80, 24 August 2012 - 12:01 PM.

• like x 1

#6 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

sweet potato. That's it. do a daily dose of it and the rest are footnotes IMO. Check it's composition

link for lead article (above)

http://www.insidejap...-aged-over-100/

Edited by stopgam, 28 December 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#7 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I very much double cenetarians live as long as they do for a single reason. It's a mixture of environment, diet, lifestyle(stress,exercice) ...
We pretty much all know the idyllic setting for longevity would be a farm far away from any factories or pollution hotspots where you could raise your chickens and crops in peace.
You still would need access to emergency health care in case you need it as well as people to stay in touch with society and have a social life.

Who would want to live this life tho? I'd much rather just live to 70-80 (ceteris paribus health and technology) while staying healthy until the final goodbye.

Edited by theconomist, 05 March 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#8 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

A key food is likely the purple sweet potato, plentiful in Okinawa.

Purple Sweet Potato Color Ameliorates Cognition Deficits and Attenuates Oxidative
Damage and Inflammation in Aging Mouse Brain Induced by D-Galactose

http://www.hindawi.c...ri/2009/564737/

Inhibition of cardiac hypertrophy by probiotic-fermented purple sweet potato
yogurt in spontaneously hypertensive rat hearts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23064753
  • Good Point x 1

#9 helluva nootro

• 57 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Would be interesting to see a few more posts on this topic, as others have said its surely due to a host of contributing factors but since food is one of the mains its worth a look

#10 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

So who will market "Imminst Purple Sweet Potato Yogurt" ? Fortified with C60oo...

#11 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

A friend of mine turned 105 in April.

His mother died at 103 and his grandmother at 98 when a bomb dropped down her chimney.

The noticeable thing about him is everyone likes him: he's mildly cheerful. Unstressed, unhurried. Worked hard (Toymaker)
moderate diet. Takes available medical advice (4 pacemakers!) then makes his own mind up.
Is formidable will when roused. Conscientious.

I copied his pacing which is slow.

His brother was doctor and died in his 50's.

#12 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

A key food is likely the purple sweet potato, plentiful in Okinawa.

Purple Sweet Potato Color Ameliorates Cognition Deficits and Attenuates Oxidative
Damage and Inflammation in Aging Mouse Brain Induced by D-Galactose

http://www.hindawi.c...ri/2009/564737/

Inhibition of cardiac hypertrophy by probiotic-fermented purple sweet potato
yogurt in spontaneously hypertensive rat hearts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23064753

that is very interesting! There are purple sweet potatoes available at my local farmers market, yet when i cooked them they ended up starchy, dry, and flavorless. fermentation sounds like an excellent idea. Can you make fermented kimchi type dishes with sweet potatoes?

#13 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

And they eat plenty of white rice in Japan and Okinawa. Carbs! Evil, evil carbs.

Okinawan purple sweet potatoes have all been dense and dry when I ate them. A chef in a local restaurant doctors the mashed ones up with tons of butter, which isn't healthy. They are cute. Don't know if they can be fermented. There are other purple foods.

#14 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

'70% of the calories in the traditional Okinawan diet came from sweet potatoes'.

Best to cook them to still a bit crunchy!

I swapped ordinary potatoes for them in my diet.

"calorie restriction may reverse age-related autonomic decline and improve memory in the elderly people"

Good paper, cautions calorie restriction:

2013:

http://synapse.korea...JKMS&vmode=FULL

There are long-term benefits from brown rice:

http://journals.camb...ine&aid=8969385

#15 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

article above

(Reuters) - More than 40,000 Japanese people are aged 100 or over, up 10 percent over last year, a government survey showed on Friday, in the latest reminder of the economic problems facing the world's most rapidly aging country.

Of the 40,399 centenarians, 87 percent are women, the Health and Welfare Ministry said.
An aging population that is also forecast to shrink is among the challenges facing new prime minister Yukio Hatoyama and his Democratic Party, elected in a landslide last month.
A smaller workforce will have to shoulder the burden of ballooning pension and healthcare requirements. Just over three people of working age now support each elderly person, but in 50 years the ratio will be closer to one to one.
Hatoyama's Democrats have pledged to standardize the pension system with a minimum of 70,000 yen ($765) per month for those who had low incomes or lacked sufficient contributions to qualify for a pension.
Japan's centenarian numbers rank it second in the world behind the United States, which now has more than 96,000, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. But the U.S. population is more than double that of Japan.
Japan boasts the longest life expectancy in the world, with experts citing healthy diet, high qualityPosted Image health care and a tradition of active pensioners as factors in the phenomenon.
The survey was issued ahead of Respect for the Aged day, a national holiday, on September 21.
(Reporting by Colin Parrott, Editing by Ron Popeski)

I've been doing Alternate day fasting (ADF) for over 4 months.

My health seems to have improved.

Japan;s long-lived mainly have similar regimes: very low calories with work social support networks, and tricks like the purple sweet potatoe.
There are videos of their lifestyles.
ADF is said to be better than calories restriction ...SIRT1 response etc...although I dont see any way to measure that is us yet.

Posted Image

The drawbacks of it..heart problems, seen in rats where when they comletely fasted alternate days and not given the fast day human equiv max of 500 calores plus nutrients.

So the the 2010 paper does not apply (
Cardioprotective effect of intermittent fasting is associated with an elevation of adiponectin levels in rats

)

My weight coming down safely & slowly too which is aethetically pleasing.

#16 nooguyz

• 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

Going to revive an old topic, but seeing as old topics are at the top of the list anyway...

Well, I also think it has to do with eating plenty of seafood. High iodine intake, high Omega-3 intake, those do a lot of good. Bought lots of fish myself, gonna bake the damn thing for the first time in my life. Tried baking it today, half was cooked properly, the other half wasn't, so just shoved it in the fridge and gonna finish cooking it tomorrow, finish it off. They also eat plenty of berries and such, which are plentiful in antioxidants and such, and I believe their island is quite green and lacks all the crap that we eat today - asbestos, pesticides, heavy metals... Hell, the iodine even protects them from fukushima plenty, so do omega-3s. Those potatoes mention - I don't think I've ever seen them in Europe, maybe if I went to some costly organic shop, but I eat simple potatoes full of pesticides and fluoride and probably heavy metals for now.

I would be curious to take a look at centenarians who died 50 years ago and see if there were many people in their 150s, since they didn't even get as much toxic crap as Japanese do today. Well, maybe earlier than that - Americans messed them up pretty good in WW2.

#17 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

When looking more closely, most super-centenarians do not have good records of their age (almost 90%). Even in Okinawa, over 200,000 centenarians who were claimed to be alive, are either dead, or cannot be found. https://www.biorxiv....1/704080v1.full

• Good Point x 2

#18 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:57 PM

The problem is that in Japan, they treat the elderly very different than in the west. They don't force them into nursing homes and take their life's savings in the process. If you want to be a centurian in the west, you need a lot of money to be budgeted to live that long and for strangers to care for you. Personally, I don't want that kind of longevity.

#19 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

The problem is that in Japan, they treat the elderly very different than in the west. They don't force them into nursing homes and take their life's savings in the process. If you want to be a centurian in the west, you need a lot of money to be budgeted to live that long and for strangers to care for you. Personally, I don't want that kind of longevity.

A lot of us don't, hence many researchers at organisations like SENS are looking at trying to treat ageing as a disease and make sure that we never need to be cared for in the first place. I want to see everyone as healthy at 100 plus as they were at 20. If we cure ageing so we don't get sick in the first place, that problem will be solved. :) 

• Agree x 1

#20 Oakman

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

Speaking of PSP I bought and ate PSP in smoothies for a while. No particular taste, and expensive, I did not continue.  But it is the real deal, straight from Japan.

Purple Sweet Potato Fine Powder 3.5 oz(100g)

#21 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:05 PM

Oldest person in the world, who I think is validated, just turned 119. https://www.japantim...st-person/#page

#22 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:01 AM

article above

(Reuters) - More than 40,000 Japanese people are aged 100 or over, up 10 percent over last year, a government survey showed on Friday, in the latest reminder of the economic problems facing the world's most rapidly aging country.

Of the 40,399 centenarians, 87 percent are women, the Health and Welfare Ministry said.
An aging population that is also forecast to shrink is among the challenges facing new prime minister Yukio Hatoyama and his Democratic Party, elected in a landslide last month.
A smaller workforce will have to shoulder the burden of ballooning pension and healthcare requirements. Just over three people of working age now support each elderly person, but in 50 years the ratio will be closer to one to one.
Hatoyama's Democrats have pledged to standardize the pension system with a minimum of 70,000 yen ($765) per month for those who had low incomes or lacked sufficient contributions to qualify for a pension.
Japan's centenarian numbers rank it second in the world behind the United States, which now has more than 96,000, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates. But the U.S. population is more than double that of Japan.
Japan boasts the longest life expectancy in the world, with experts citing healthy diet, high qualityicon1.png health care and a tradition of active pensioners as factors in the phenomenon.
The survey was issued ahead of Respect for the Aged day, a national holiday, on September 21.
(Reporting by Colin Parrott, Editing by Ron Popeski)

I've been doing Alternate day fasting (ADF) for over 4 months.

My health seems to have improved.

Japan;s long-lived mainly have similar regimes: very low calories with work social support networks, and tricks like the purple sweet potatoe.
There are videos of their lifestyles.
ADF is said to be better than calories restriction ...SIRT1 response etc...although I dont see any way to measure that is us yet.

rat_typing_in_academic_gown.gif

The drawbacks of it..heart problems, seen in rats where when they comletely fasted alternate days and not given the fast day human equiv max of 500 calores plus nutrients.

So the the 2010 paper does not apply (
Cardioprotective effect of intermittent fasting is associated with an elevation of adiponectin levels in rats

)

My weight coming down safely & slowly too which is aethetically pleasing.

My guess is MTORC1 inhibition by Caloric Restriction.

FWIW, there was a study done back in the 1970's regarding Alternate Day Fasting and rats. The rats were placed on ADF immediately after weaning, for LIFE. The average lifespan was 80% longer than controls fed ad libitum. I'll try to find it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users