- - - - -

Sunday Evening Update, Guest: Randal Koene, October 25th

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

Tune into the Sunday Evening Update on Sunday October 25th at 6pm Eastern (2300 GMT) for an interview with special guest Randal Koene. Personal website: Mind Uploading

Professor Koene is the director of the Department of Neuroengineering at Tecnalia, third largest private research organization in Europe, and is the co-founder of the Neural Engineering Corporation of Massachusetts. Prior to this, he was a Prof. at the Center for Memory and Brain of Boston University. His research objective is whole brain emulation, creating the large-scale high-resolution representations and emulations of activity in neuronal circuitry that are needed in patient-specific neuroprostheses.

Attached Files

#2 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

This is interesting. I'll be there :-)

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

I am excited about this one as well. I have been trying for a few months now to line up a guest to focus on neuro-engineering and mind uploading. Professor Koene seems to fit the bill.

Looks like Randal will be at the Humanity+ conference this year as well.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Since the shows are occurring less frequently now, I just want to remind everyone that there is a text chat that occurs alongside the show where you can ask questions of the guest. Or you can post questions here in the forum ahead of time and I will present them to the guest during the live broadcast.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:24 PM

One thing I would like to know is what his impression of the Blue Brain project is?

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

I hope these shows pick back up. These are excellent opportunities to learn about the cause, to show people that are being interviewed that this cause has a lot of support, and things like that. Its a great peice of this place to spread when memeing. You can tell people to check out imminst.org/tv to learn more about the cause and have interactive fun doing it.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

From minduploading.org:

* I am organizing neural engineering efforts to obtain and replicate function and structure information that resides in the neural substrate for use in neuroprostheses and neural interfaces.

* My lab is creating a Virtual Brain Laboratory (VBL) based on NETMORPH (netmorph.org), the computational framework for the simulated morphological development of neuronal circuitry. The VBL will give neuroscientists, neuroengineers and clinicians large-scale high-resolution quantitative tools analogous to the computational tools that have become essential in fields such as genomics, chemistry or the aero-space industry.

More on netmorph.

#8 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I was wondering if there is any way to make it a bit easier for EU people.
I am GMT 2 and that turns to be 1 am for me, it's a bit hard to attend even if I want to.

#9 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

Oh this time i'm definitely seeing this. Well it's not certain but i think i'll be there.

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

I was wondering if there is any way to make it a bit easier for EU people.
I am GMT 2 and that turns to be 1 am for me, it's a bit hard to attend even if I want to.

I am always considering what is the best time, for guests and viewers. Perhaps we can make it more flexible depending on what time zone the guest is in. In the Eurozone, maybe we could hold the program an hour or two earlier. Tonight though, 6pm eastern.

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Just a reminder that the link is and the show begins at 6pm eastern, 2300 GMT.

I upgraded the video and audio codec for the channel and tested it out. The stream looks better.

Also, for those who have not watched the live show before, there is a text chat that is on the show page where you can chat and ask questions of the guest during the live interview. If you cannot attend live (in about 1 hour) please leave any questions you might have here in the forum.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

Also, I modified the text chat so that you can chat without having to log in with a Ustream account.

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

I am also going to ask his impression of the recent singularity summit.

#14 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

Its 23:10 GMT now?

#15 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

I am also going to ask his impression of the recent singularity summit.

He said that during one of the workshops at the summit, they took an informal poll as to whether there should be more focus on mind uploading or on AI/AGI research and he said it was almost unanimous that (human) mind uploading should come first...for safety reasons.

Surprisingly large turnout for the show. 63 unique viewers. Good questions from the audience. My questions were a little generic, especially in the beginning, got better around the mid point of the interview, about 5 to 10 minutes in.

Direct link to the interview here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users