• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

http://www.sciencema...tract/1180962v1

http://www.sciencene...o_lack_of_Zzzzs

Thoughts?

Hm, as a starting point, maybe we should investigate the relation between hours of sleep/day and Alzheimer's. This may or may not provide additional insight. Certainly there are people who seem to need less sleep than others - they may have higher (and longer) levels of orexin.

Another topic: the relation between modafinil and orexin. Right now, the relation is unclear. Modafinil seems to activate orexin receptors, but it also seems to act independently of the orexin system. It might be possible to coadminister an orexin antagonist AND modafinil, to maintain wakefulness while reducing orexin levels. Of course, we still know little about modafinil's long term effects.

#2 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

ugh i cant edit this.

but anyways, "It might be possible to coadminister an orexin antagonist AND modafinil, to maintain wakefulness while reducing orexin levels" was a misguided sentence cuz modafinil probably increases orexin levels. and obviously, we hardly know anything about modafinil's other pathways (whcih may possibly be more harmful than orexin - after all - we just learned about this from orexin, which is the most well known of modafinil's pathways)

the only meaning of that sentence was that it might be possible to improve wakefulness without increasing orexin, and this might be a way (assuming that its other pathways were of non-negligible potency).

Edited by inquilinekea, 19 October 2009 - 12:10 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

http://www.scienceda...90128160839.htm

perhaps Melanin Concentrating Hormone would be superior to an Orexin antagaonist. I don't know the answer, but I've spent a bit of time looking/thinking about the issue you highlight.

Sleep is a very important part of the balance in life. I've been trying to find a thoughtful way to deal with overcoming jetlag by just popping a pill. There was an interesting tidbit on AICAR being a good solution for it.

I think one observation that we can probably generalize is that the body experiences damage during the day (wakefulness) and repairs during night (sleep). Trying to avoid sleep altogether seems to be pretty dangerous.

Edited by prophets, 19 October 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#4 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:36 PM

wasn't there some connection between melatonin and alz?

#5 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

Melatonin reduces amyloid plaque deposits. It also reduces symptoms in Alzheimer's patients.

I think I'll take more melatonin and I'll stop using modafinil for all-nighters (which is a sort of double-whammy, since it boosts orexin on top of already non-decreased orexin levels through sleep deprivation). when i want to reduce sleep, i'd probably have to do it through a demonstrably safer route like the ampakines once they're out.

Edited by inquilinekea, 21 October 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#6 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

all nighters are very rarely a good idea.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 InquilineKea

• Topic Starter
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

..unfortunately I'm a college student, so they're sometimes necessary..

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#8 frchopin

• 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

GABAB receptor-mediated modulation of hypocretin/orexin neurones in mouse hypothalamus:

http://jp.physoc.org/content/574/2/399.full

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users