• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Vitamin E

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Poll: tocopherols (21 member(s) have cast votes)

tocopherols

1. yes (20 votes [95.24%])

Percentage of vote: 95.24%

2. no (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:15 AM

tocopherols

#2 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

my suggestion is a standard tocopherol complex... 30iu alpha 100% dri, double that amount of gamma tocopherol, 50% of that amount of delta and beta tocopherol.

#3 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

The key is that the gamma form should be favored at a ratio 3:1 over the alpha form.

#4 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:57 AM

The key is that the gamma form should be favored at a ratio 3:1 over the alpha form.

why that ratio?

#5 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

why that ratio?

Because it's the gamma that really matters, and most people get too much alpha anyway, which actually weakens the effectiveness of the gamma form. So, I prefer to err in favor of gamma.

#6 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

That ratio is conjecture until you back it up Duke. The fact that it is your preference is of little importance. Evidence for that particular ratio would be appreciated.

#7 shazam

• 197 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:54 AM

That ratio is conjecture until you back it up Duke. The fact that it is your preference is of little importance. Evidence for that particular ratio would be appreciated.

Great. So we're all gonna demand proof, not provide it, and then not make our own suggestions and arguments. Well, research IS hard work sometimes. And there isn't a hell of a lot out about vitamin E and whether the ratio is important or not.

Well, I'll take a crack at this. I am a believer in Gamma E complexes. If for no other reason, than because fucking everything contains alpha tocopherol these days (it's a handy preservative for fat encapsulated supps and tends to be predominant most diets as well) , and if I'm going to SUPPLEMENT vitamin E, it's going to be something I don't get from my food and other supplements in significant amounts.

I suppose I should make this my next area of focus in researching supplements. There's always that study about gamma E blood levels being higher in people with decent cardio health and alpha in those struggling with it, though usually people attribute that to their diet itself rather than the vitamin E serum levels.

Not sure what the best ratio should be. Maybe 2-5 gamma, 1 alpha, and the usual (look at familE) for the others. In fact, maybe just emulate familE, but on a lower scale. Amount should be relatively low for combined vitamin E. Alpha toco should be 100 percent of DV (20mg) at the highest. I see no evidence for benefits from high dose vitamin E, and you'll probably get enough alpha toco as it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users