• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Omega3 - Swine Flu translation needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

What is this all about, can somebody translate or extract the message from the following:

Lindskog kommer med advarselen i en artikkel i tidsskriftet til den svenske legeforeningen.

Den svenske läkartidningen

Legen arbeider ved enhet for klinisk farmakologi ved Uppsala universitet i Sverige og viser til flere studier som tyder på at Omega-3 kan svekke immunforsvaret, skriver Dagsavisen.

– Bør være forsiktige

– Omega-3 har trolig gunstig helseeffekt på hjerte og hjerne, men vi må også anerkjenne ulempene. Særlig personer i risikogruppene bør være forsiktige med å ta Omega-3 nå, sier Lindskog.

Han understreker at man foreløpig ikke vet nok til å kunne fastslå at Omega-3 kan svekke immunforsvaret mot influensapandemien.

Smittevernsenheten i Västra Götaland fraråder innbyggerne der å innta Omega-3 under pandemien. På svenske myndigheters samleside om pandemien kan man lese at Omega-3 synes å kunne svekke immunforsvaret. Men svenske myndigheter fraråder ikke bruken av Omega-3.

– Ikke tilstrekkelig fundert
Her hjemme vil ikke Folkehelseinstituttet gå ut med en anbefaling, og begrunner dette med at forskningsresultatene Lindskog viser til ikke er tilstrekkelig fundert.
Men direktør Geir Stene-Larsen i Folkehelseinstituttet sier kosttilskudd som Omega-3 ikke er et anbefalt tiltak for å beskytte seg mot pandemien.

http://www.nrk.no/ny...nriks/1.6843879

#2 Cirkeline

• 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:24 AM

I will do my best to translate the text:

Lindskog gives this warning in an article in the Journal of the Swedish Medical Association.

He is a doctor, working in the Department of Clinical Pharmacology at The University of Uppsala in Sweden, and he refers to several studies showing that Omega-3 may impair the immune system, according to Dagsavisen (a Norwegian newspaper).

- Should be careful
- Omega-3 does probably have favorable effects on heart and brain health, but we should also acknowledge the drawbacks. Especially persons who belong to the high-risk groups should consider stop taking Omega-3 these days, Lindskog told.

He told that for the time being there is not sufficient data to state that Omega-3 does weaken the immune system to the point where people are more likely to get the pandemic flu.

The Infectious Department in Västra Götaland (Sweden) warns the inhabitants against taking Omega-3 during the pandemic flu. On the Swedish authorities website, one can read that Omega-3 seems to impair the immune system. But Swedish authorities does not warn against taking Omega-3.

In Norway, The Norwegian Institute of Public Health does not recommend that people stop taking Omega-3. Norwegian authorities said that there is not sufficient research data to give a warning. But Director at The Institute of Public Health, Geir Stene-Larsen, told that diet supplements such as Omega-3 are not especially recommended to protect oneself from the pandemic flu.

#3 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the translation.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

Think the article is related to this study.

Fish oil-fed mice have impaired resistance to influenza infection.
Schwerbrock NM, Karlsson EA, Shi Q, Sheridan PA, Beck MA.

Department of Nutrition, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA.

Dietary fish oils, rich in (n-3) PUFA, including eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid, have been shown to have antiinflammatory properties. Although the antiinflammatory properties of fish oil may be beneficial during a chronic inflammatory illness, the same antiinflammatory properties can suppress the inflammatory responses necessary to combat acute viral infection. Given that (n-3) fatty acid-rich fish oil supplementation is on the rise and with the increasing threat of an influenza pandemic, we tested the effect of fish oil feeding for 2 wk on the immune response to influenza virus infection. Male C57BL/6 mice fed either a menhaden fish oil/corn oil diet (4 g fish oil:1 g corn oil, wt:wt at 5 g/100 g diet) or a control corn oil diet were infected with influenza A/PuertoRico/8/34 and analyzed for lung pathology and immune function. Although fish oil-fed mice had lower lung inflammation compared with controls, fish oil feeding also resulted in a 40% higher mortality rate, a 70% higher lung viral load at d 7 post infection, and a prolonged recovery period following infection. Although splenic natural killer (NK) cell activity was suppressed in fish oil-fed mice, lung NK activity was not affected. Additionally, lungs of infected fish oil-fed mice had significantly fewer CD8+ T cells and decreased mRNA expression of macrophage inflammatory protein-1-alpha, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-6. These results suggest that the antiinflammatory properties of fish oil feeding can alter the immune response to influenza infection, resulting in increased morbidity and mortality.

Edited by drmz, 02 November 2009 - 09:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users