Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam Rebound? Side-Effect?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

I was taking Piracetam 1,000 mg twice / day for a month (Prima Force), then I stopped taking it 5 days ago, and I now feel like I am zapped of creativity, and I also feel really dumb. I am making basic spelling errors, and I am having trouble formulating thoughts, and feel like I'm really straining to think. My thoughts were fluid before i started taking it.

Is this normal? Is this something i should be concerned of?

#2 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

I was taking Piracetam 1,000 mg twice / day for a month (Prima Force), then I stopped taking it 5 days ago, and I now feel like I am zapped of creativity, and I also feel really dumb. I am making basic spelling errors, and I am having trouble formulating thoughts, and feel like I'm really straining to think. My thoughts were fluid before i started taking it.

piracetam is a drug. most drugs have withdrawal/washout periods after continuous use. you probably would have been better off easing off the dose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

piracetam is a drug. most drugs have withdrawal/washout periods after continuous use. you probably would have been better off easing off the dose.

i agree, try to divide pill ? its too bad though that , at the end, you are left in a worst state that when you started. let us know if the creativity comes back.

#4 What'sAllThisThen

• 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

How ya doing now?

#5 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

How are you sleeping? Poor sleep can destroy cognitive abilities with or without supplementation. Do you exercise regulary? Good diet?

Edited by Thorsten, 31 January 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

I wonder about this as well. I think the tolerance/withdrawal profile for piracetam is much more forgiving than lots of classic pharmaceuticals. I feel after cessation (even after a shorter run than a month) there's a certain dip below baseline in some of the areas piracetam improves. Verbal eloquence/word-seeking is one of the easiest indicators for me. But this always passes very, very quickly.

#7 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Have you recovered from the rebound effect yet?

#8 rvdvaart

• 72 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

This is very discouraging to hear. I just ordered Piracetam and I was afraid it would have negative withdrawal effects like you described. Does this happen for everyone or only specific people?

#9 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

This is very discouraging to hear. I just ordered Piracetam and I was afraid it would have negative withdrawal effects like you described. Does this happen for everyone or only specific people?

From my (and friends') experience, it happens to some more than to others. It depends on the person and the dose. I used to take pretty large doses (up to 10g a day) and when I quit cold turkey I felt totally burnt out. That was probably due to work stress as well, but piracetam allowed me to continue beyond my limits. Now I take it now and then, and notice only a slight blandness the next day, nothing more than I get from coffee.

#10 Viscid

• 40 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

I take piracetam in cycles of a few months at about 10 grams per day, and notice feeling considerably slower following the cessation of use. It's difficult to directly attribute the dullness to the stoppage of piracetam, but I certainly do feel a lot 'duller' when I am not using it-- moreso than before I even began using piracetam in the first place. Kinda disconcerting.

Edited by Viscid, 14 June 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#11 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:43 PM

I take piracetam in cycles of a few months at about 10 grams per day, and notice feeling considerably slower following the cessation of use. It's difficult to directly attribute the dullness to the stoppage of piracetam, but I certainly do feel a lot 'duller' when I am not using it-- moreso than before I even began using piracetam in the first place. Kinda disconcerting.

How long after cessation do you continue to feel dull? Have you tried tapering down then stopping completely? This is very disconcerting. I wouldn't want to be dependent like this. Have you been diagnosed with anything?

Can anyone explain the cause of this rebound effect? Which receptors are downregulating?

Viscid, you stated below that you had supplemented with Glutamine, perhaps this has caused excitotoxicity which in turn made you duller. I would like to see anecdotal reports of others that have used this combo.

(http://www.imminst.o...18)

Edited by stablemind, 14 June 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#12 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

How long after cessation do you continue to feel dull? Have you tried tapering down then stopping completely? This is very disconcerting. I wouldn't want to be dependent like this. Have you been diagnosed with anything?

Can anyone explain the cause of this rebound effect? Which receptors are downregulating?

Viscid, you stated below that you had supplemented with Glutamine, perhaps this has caused excitotoxicity which in turn made you duller. I would like to see anecdotal reports of others that have used this combo.

One more thing: the withdrawal is almost absent if you taper off of it. Stopping over the course of 1 to 2 weeks should be smooth. Right now, I'm maintaining a 4.0 GPA at a top university with only the help of regular bacopa and pramiracetam during exams, so it can't be that bad.

Edited by Novotropic, 14 June 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#13 rvdvaart

• 72 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

One more thing: the withdrawal is almost absent if you taper off of it. Stopping over the course of 1 to 2 weeks should be smooth. Right now, I'm maintaining a 4.0 GPA at a top university with only the help of regular bacopa and pramiracetam during exams, so it can't be that bad.

How long would you say the withdrawal effects last on average (assuming you stop cold turkey)?

#14 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

How long would you say the withdrawal effects last on average (assuming you stop cold turkey)?

I don't remember too clearly, but I guess it was something like 1 to 2 weeks. The first week was really bad, I slept a lot. After that gradually got better.

#15 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

I don't remember too clearly, but I guess it was something like 1 to 2 weeks. The first week was really bad, I slept a lot. After that gradually got better.

Did you ever fully recover?

#16 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Did you ever fully recover?

Yes, as I stated in another post above I'm doing very well cognitively with minimal nootropic use. I do miss the "hypomanic high" sometimes, but I'm just back my old self.

While it's not the uber-safe, no side-effects wonder drug that supplement seller make it out to be, I do believe it is quite benign. If you work your ass of and drink 10 cups of coffee a day, you will suffer from serious withdrawal too if you quit cold turkey.

#17 Viscid

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I doubt there's anyone else who has regularily used this combo, not to mention my use was not controlled, not accurrately measured and sporadic.

I can't say how long the side-effect lasted, or would've lasted, as I can't say there was a certain date in which I began to feel the dullness (probably about 2-3 weeks after cessation,) and it lasted for quite a few weeks. Like piracetam's benefits, the side effects from sudden cessation are gradual and not obvious.

#18 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm sure there are some that have used the combo:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=37107

Anyone try this combo kind enough to share their experience?

#19 Viscid

• 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:54 AM

So today I felt the most on-the-ball than I have in months. The difference in verbal fluency is rather dramatic from last week (and the past two months or so, when I stopped using piracetam) to this week, when I resumed piracetam use (12-14g once daily.) Other changes include mood, co-ordination, confidence and, of course, contrast perception (my favourite!)

Seems like I am rather piracetam-dependent. Oh well; for science!

Edited by Viscid, 18 June 2010 - 03:55 AM.

#20 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

^^ I think piracetam has a half-life of about 5 hours. You may want to distribute that giant dose more evenly throughout the day.

#21 Viscid

• 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

^^ I think piracetam has a half-life of about 5 hours. You may want to distribute that giant dose more evenly throughout the day.

I've never noticed much obvious subjective differences in cognition immediately after ingestion or 5 hours post. It doesn't really matter what the half-life is. I take it for the longer-term build-up effect, not some fantastical stimulant-like placebo.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

lol. I only take piracetam for the fantastic placebo, myself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users