Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Combining St. John's Wort & SAM-e

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 franknyc

• 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

Is it okay to combine St. John's Wort and SAM-e, or would this combo be too risky? I am taking 900 mg of SJW and want to begin taking 200 mg of SAM-e twice a day.

#2 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Be careful. It appears fine but St John's Wort has a lot of contraindications. For example it will contraindicate against anticonvulsants presumably even mild stuff GABOB (OTC) and perhaps more worryingly against bulk GABA (OTC). Its mechanism of action is unknown therefore it is impossible to say what the outcome will be.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Oh you'll need 800mg of SAM-e to have any real effect.

I tried SAM-e as a night-time supplement and zip happened. Unless you are German I wouldn't touch SJW, although it has nice anti-prolactin activity but so does Gingko.

Edited by matthias7, 26 November 2009 - 09:46 PM.

#4 desperate788

• 234 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Oh you'll need 800mg of SAM-e to have any real effect.

I tried SAM-e as a night-time supplement and zip happened. Unless you are German I wouldn't touch SJW, although it has nice anti-prolactin activity but so does Gingko.

Is it okay to combine St. John's Wort and SAM-e,
please don't do that..

#5 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

don't ..800mg?

Clinical trials show effectiveness at that dose. I never noticed anything.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

Is it okay to combine St. John's Wort and SAM-e, or would this combo be too risky? I am taking 900 mg of SJW and want to begin taking 200 mg of SAM-e twice a day.

i wouldnt

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

I don't think there is any harm.

The general concern of SJW is contraindication. If you are using a big stack there is too much hazzard.

I like the idea of it suppressing prolactin. However Gingko also does this.

In a health care system where it is mainstream (basically pharmaceutical grade) I don't see a problem because they should be aware of all the possible contraindications and variations in quality issues. Anywhere else I'd leave it.

#8 franknyc

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have experimented with combining the two for about a week now with no ill effects to report (I had a little trouble falling asleep one night but that was most likely caused by taking sam-e too late in the day). However, I am probably going to drop the SJW and just keep taking SAM-e. I am too nervous about hair loss being one of the reported side effects of SJW. I haven't seen a similar side effect listed for SAM-e.

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

I've done it before, and there was no side effect. I really wouldn't worry about it. Also, I have never heard of hail loss from SJW.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 franknyc

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:24 AM

I've done it before, and there was no side effect. I really wouldn't worry about it. Also, I have never heard of hail loss from SJW.

It's a pretty common side effect for anti-depressants in general, and it seems SJW has also been known to cause hair loss. Do a google search for St. John's Wort and Hair Loss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users