Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Has anyone tried stabilium?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Neuro-active

• 26 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Just found out about a (new?) kind of nootropic made of EFA's and micropeptides called, stabilium. Supposedly it has the ability to increase energy and decrease depression, as well as boost memory and cognition to a significant degree.
Anyone have any experience with this to back these claims up?

#2 Neuro-active

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

For informational purposes here is an article on it: http://intelegen.com...m_armoricum.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bluejay1

• 66 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Yes, I have.

The stuff is legit, there is a journal article somewhere to prove it. It will make you sleepy as hell if you combine it with other downers: melatonin, ramelteon*, BZD's, ethanol, etc. Basically it will intsensify the effect of those to unbearable levels, not only that it isn't short term either, but rather 24/7. Id advise avoiding it to avoid a possible DUI. That crap made it hard for me to drive a car, my augmenting experience was with ramelteon. Ramelteon before Garum didn't do the daytime somnolence, but once I added the Garum it made me really drowsy during the daytime so I stopped. Note that you have to take a hefty dose over a period of a week for this effect to start. I hated the stuff bc Im already sort of a daytime sluggish person, but at night I get wired (that's why I tried the crap). Its also expensive $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but a great way to get your n-3's if it works out.

If you meant Stablon, I've tried that one too. Sometimes ppl get the 2 confused. I hate both drugs.

#4 Neuro-active

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

Yes, I have.

The stuff is legit, there is a journal article somewhere to prove it. It will make you sleepy as hell if you combine it with other downers: melatonin, ramelteon*, BZD's, ethanol, etc. Basically it will intsensify the effect of those to unbearable levels, not only that it isn't short term either, but rather 24/7. Id advise avoiding it to avoid a possible DUI. That crap made it hard for me to drive a car, my augmenting experience was with ramelteon. Ramelteon before Garum didn't do the daytime somnolence, but once I added the Garum it made me really drowsy during the daytime so I stopped. Note that you have to take a hefty dose over a period of a week for this effect to start. I hated the stuff bc Im already sort of a daytime sluggish person, but at night I get wired (that's why I tried the crap). Its also expensive $$$$$$$$$$, but a great way to get your n-3's if it works out.

If you meant Stablon, I've tried that one too. Sometimes ppl get the 2 confused. I hate both drugs.

Thanks for the reply! Was starting to think no one on these forums has tried this 0.0
Why do you say it is expensive? I can find it online (15 doses at 2 pills/dose) for $14 + 28%off = ~$10. Or is it the case that it is expensive because you need to take it for a long time for the good effects to kick in? (meaning 45+ doses)
Also, when you said it made you really sleepy, was that when you were taking other sedatives or just straight up stabilium? Did it make you sleepy like benadryl or just sedate you like GABA or phenibut?

And yes, I am talking about stabilium :p

#5 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Agreed a good response. Logging you experience of Stabulium would be great.

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:35 AM

Journal of Advancement in Medicine 8(3): 193-200, Fall 1995.
The effectiveness of Garom Amoricum (Stabilium) on Reducing Anxiety in College Students.

is probably the study being referred to. This was apparently an alternative medicine journal, not indexed by PubMed. In fact, no pubmed hits on any variations of the name (unless I'm missing something because I'm really tired). Remember that not all peer-reviewed journals are created equal, and this study was evidently carried out by med students upon other college students.

Besides quotes from Dr. Dorman (author of the above study), I can't find any info about this that isn't marketing. Lots of info about how the Romans and Celts used it as a mental elixir, combined with modern pseudo-science in statements like: "The Blue Ling fish evolved a highly specialized physiology and metabolism able to cope with the stress of these extreme environmental conditions. It is believed because the Blue Ling has been able to adapt to such extreme stress, eating its autolysed polypeptides can also help us support a healthy stress response. (The scientific study of this type of conferred benefit from one species eating another is known as xenohormesis)."

This is basically fish oil. See here for composition info from the company, and here for a couple of articles and studies (second is linked at very bottom).

When Cerebrolysin (blended and filtered pig brain) can be one of the most effective AD treatments in the world, I guess it's not completely implausible that these fish proteins and amino acids could have more profound effects than regular fish oil. But I have to wonder why there has been no flurry of studies in more reputable peer-reviewed journals in the 15 years since the Dorman study, when studies of other alternative and holistic medicines abound.

Here's another article/interview with Dorman.

I'd be skeptical of this one. Although I'd still be interested to hear of any accounts, or additional info.

Edited by chrono, 27 November 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#7 Bluejay1

• 66 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Stabilium is NOT just fish oil.. It will enhance the effect of other sedatives.

What makes it expensive is the amount used to achieve the full sedative effect.

Funny thing is that it didnt make me all that sedated before bed, but mostly the next day - during the day - when sedation wasn't desired.

#8 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

It is fish oil. It isn't cod liver oil, which is usually what we mean when we say that, but from another species of fish and containing more peptides/proteins in addition to the EFAs. From the manufacturer's site:

The active ingredient in Stabilium® is GARUM ARmoricum®. It is highly specialized GARUM® produced from the Blue Ling fish (Molva dypterygia), a distant relative of the cod, found only in deep water off the Armorica peninsula of Brittany.
Stabilium contains

• A very high percentage of small polypeptides: 61% of its protein content is in polypeptide chains less than 18 amino acids long and a molecular weight < 700 Daltons.
  • Omega-3 polyunsaturated essential fatty acids, including EPA and DHA
  • A natural antioxidant complex of vitamin E and selenium.
Amino Acid Composition

• 25% Free Amino Acids
  • 75% Polypeptides
  • 61% under 700 Daltons
  • 35% 700-5000 Daltons
  • <4% over 5000 Daltons
Ingredients: each capsule of Stabilium® contains 105mg GARUM® ARMORICUM®, 85mg virgin sunflower oil, and 10mg lecithin (derived from soy) encased in a hard fish gelatin capsule.

Whether this fish oil enhances sedative effect is another issue. Were you on Ramelteon the entire time you were taking Stabilium, and also when you were combining it with those other sedatives? And were you combining multiple sedatives on top of that, like ethanol and benzodiazepines? If not, can you describe the effect Stabilium had by itself?

One of the studies I linked above showed that Stabilium promoted improvement in chronic fatigue. Did anyone else find it sedating?

Its efficacy beyond conventional fish oil would seem to depend on the effect of those peptides. This comes down to the same issue we're discussing in the N-PEP-12 thread, whether short peptides have any chance of surviving the digestive process. Unlike the MemoProve formulation, there seems to be no possibility that any advanced delivery system is in place here.

#9 Bluejay1

• 66 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

The Stabilium was much weaker by its lonesome self, but made depressants such as ramelteon, zaleplon, melatonin more pronounced. Tried them in isolation and in varied quantities. Was hoping to get an acute affect from Stabilium to help with sleep onset, but it doesn't exactly work that way. Rather it had a pronlonged constant effect on me that was more pronounced during the day than at night when I was taking it.. I would dig up the literature I had on it if I had time to. But I'm not very interested in stabilium anymore.. Im more interested in a collaborative effort at a truly comprehensive list of sorts. Surely someone else has this interest. Who wants to surf forums in a disorganized fashion picking up little bits of anecdotes here and there?

I don't advise stabilium to anyone, but I would be lying if I said I experienced NO subjective effects from taking it. It is rather expensive IMO and seemed to require HEFTY dosing (ie taking more than listed on packaging) to achieve sedative effects. My trial was several years ago, '05-ish

It is fish oil. It isn't cod liver oil, which is usually what we mean when we say that, but from another species of fish and containing more peptides/proteins in addition to the EFAs. From the manufacturer's site:

The active ingredient in Stabilium® is GARUM ARmoricum®. It is highly specialized GARUM® produced from the Blue Ling fish (Molva dypterygia), a distant relative of the cod, found only in deep water off the Armorica peninsula of Brittany.
Stabilium contains

• A very high percentage of small polypeptides: 61% of its protein content is in polypeptide chains less than 18 amino acids long and a molecular weight < 700 Daltons.
  • Omega-3 polyunsaturated essential fatty acids, including EPA and DHA
  • A natural antioxidant complex of vitamin E and selenium.
Amino Acid Composition

• 25% Free Amino Acids
  • 75% Polypeptides
  • 61% under 700 Daltons
  • 35% 700-5000 Daltons
  • <4% over 5000 Daltons
Ingredients: each capsule of Stabilium® contains 105mg GARUM® ARMORICUM®, 85mg virgin sunflower oil, and 10mg lecithin (derived from soy) encased in a hard fish gelatin capsule.

Whether this fish oil enhances sedative effect is another issue. Were you on Ramelteon the entire time you were taking Stabilium, and also when you were combining it with those other sedatives? And were you combining multiple sedatives on top of that, like ethanol and benzodiazepines? If not, can you describe the effect Stabilium had by itself?

One of the studies I linked above showed that Stabilium promoted improvement in chronic fatigue. Did anyone else find it sedating?

Its efficacy beyond conventional fish oil would seem to depend on the effect of those peptides. This comes down to the same issue we're discussing in the N-PEP-12 thread, whether short peptides have any chance of surviving the digestive process. Unlike the MemoProve formulation, there seems to be no possibility that any advanced delivery system is in place here.

Edited by Bluejay1, 27 November 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#10 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

I've been taking this for 2 months now. Its difficult to tell, but I don't notice any pronounced effects. Anyone else care to chime in on this?

#11 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

Just found out about a (new?) kind of nootropic made of EFA's and micropeptides called, stabilium. Supposedly it has the ability to increase energy and decrease depression, as well as boost memory and cognition to a significant degree.
Anyone have any experience with this to back these claims up?

I have not tried it, so I have no subjective experience to back up my conjectures about it, but I did just spend some time reading the experiences of other people and a ton of marketing literature (it seems chrono and I use the same search engines, lol). From what I can gather, it exerts a mild sedative effect on some, but not all people. If it improves energy and mood, that might very well be because people are sleeping more. If that is the case, then I would probably stick with melatonin as a sleep aid. It's more documented, and its effects are better understood. It also works for damn near anyone, and is cheaper to boot.

#12 John2009

• 110 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Stabilium used to be sold by LEF under the name "Adaption", now it's sold under the new product name.

Can Stabilium be taken with regular fish oil, that is, if you already take fish oil should you stop while you are taking Stabilium or just add stabilium to your existing fish oil intake ?

I think I read in and LEF article that the effects of the product can persist for some time even after you stop taking it, which is what I found most interesting.

Edited by John2009, 12 December 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#13 ScienceGuy

• Life Member
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

It is fish oil.

GARUM ARMORICUM EXTRACT (brands Stabilium and Adapton) is indeed derived from fish, but is NOT the same as 'FISH OIL' supplements, which includes everything from straight COD LIVER OIL to FISH OILS that have been concentrated for EPA and/or DHA fatty acids.

Consequently, GARUM ARMORICUM EXTRACT has different physiological effects than 'FISH OIL'; even to the extent where individuals who experience intolerable adverse effects when taking 'FISH OIL', which happens to include me, can quite happily take GARUM ARMORICUM EXTRACT without any adverse effects whatsoever.

GARUM ARMORICUM EXTRACT is not a 'magic bullet' but is most certainly a highly useful adjunct in effectively treating ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, and INSOMNIA; as well as improving ENERGY LEVELS in those with abnormal fatigue (e.g. C.F.S., M.E. and Lyme Disease suffers).

The STABILIUM BRAND is cheaper but equally effective as the ADAPTON brand.
  • Needs references x 1

#14 LeonardElijah

• 78 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

I take it when I can afford it. I like it.

I gave the studies I could find to a friend of a friend who was researching ADHD issues for children. He told me that it would interact with any other sources of peptides I could find.

I combined it with whole Lion's Mane mushroom. Later the same morning I went out for my once daily cigarette and choked half to death. It didn't address my craving, but it somehow reset my body. It felt like the first cigarette I ever smoked. My mouth was a hot ashtray.

I sort of want someone to combine it with the peptides in cerebrosylin and report back. I'm 99% certain there will be an interaction.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Atropy

• 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I believe it helps me with anxiety,anxiety increased once I cycled off from it.

What is the mechanism of action of Garum Amoricum?Is it completely harmless?

I cant seem to find the answer to this question.It is known to be an adaptogen,however adaptogens need to be cycled because they are not harmless.

My hope is to know that this is as harmless as fish oil.,and can be taken without being cycled.I usually take 2 pills every second day from Stabilium.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users