- - - - -

Piracetam loses effect after two weeks

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 racetam_junkie

• 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi!
Recently i found about about nootropics. I had trouble with memory and concentration so I decided to try piracetam + lecithin.
At first, a got subtle effects which got better by each day. Peak was archieved in one week.

For the first time I could easily focus on 2-hour lectures at university, understanding every little detail and wanting to know more.
My short term, long term memory improved alot. Productivity at job literally doubled up (i am programmer).

I remember those two weeks as best time of my life. I never ever felt better.

But then effects started fading, increasing dosage didn't help.
I tried various combinations of piracetam/lecithin ration, sometimes i did get subtle effect, but mostly no effect at all.
Then i took 2-week break from piracetam. After break piracetam still didnt give me desired effect.

What could be cause of this?

I've had almost all ADHD symptoms (not severe) for my entire life, but it didnt stop me to get top grades and good job.
Now those symptoms are much worse, i cant force myself to do event simplest things.

Sorry for my poor english.

#2 suprdupracetam

• 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

You might consider trying a purified choline supplement (i.e. choline bitartrate)
instead of lecithin.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 matter_of_time

• 135 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

look through other threads, some people claim some vitamine B's solve this problem.

You might consider trying a purified choline supplement (i.e. choline bitartrate)
instead of lecithin.

#4 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

Although it is generally accepted that piracetam takes some time to fully show its effects(up to several weeks of daily administration), there are also anecdotes of the opposite (loss of the effect after consecutive use).

From my own experience, the effect shows exclusively with an occasional use, twice a week tops. And effect is far from subtle, I am talking about strong CNS-like stimulation and racing thoughts... sleeping is impossible, even being dead-tired. Also there was a proposed theory(somewhere on this forum) about cholesterol+choline requirement for piracetam to work, which anecdotally worked for me, after being a total non-responder for close to a year(the only effect I observed was booze potentiation). I eat 3-4 whole eggs a day now.

So try the following(no guarantee but what if it works for you?): stay off piracetam for a few days(maybe give it a week), eat whole eggs daily. Then administer a gram or two sublingually for at least 5 minutes. Then proceed with a strong oral dose 5+(grams).

Edited by SpawnMoreOverlords, 27 January 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#5 racetam_junkie

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

look through other threads, some people claim some vitamine B's solve this problem.

instead of lecithin.

Thank you! Looks like vitamin-b deficiency was the case.
Today I brought vitamin-b complex, took 2 caps together with 1600g piracetam and 2400g lecithin.
Effects seem almost good as previously.

#6 racetam_junkie

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

B-complex + Piracetam + Lecithing + omega3 was good for about one week, after that the effects faded.

I eat very healthy, almost no junk food. Work out at gym 2-3 times a week with progressive results.
If i take piracetam now i notice only bad effects - depression, anxiety.
Doctors say that i might have "anxiety disorder", and i must rest, BUT i cant afford it right now - there is no way.
Also I'm injecting B12 for one week, but it has absolutely no effect so far.

I must figure out have to make piracetam effective again.
What could i try to do? What is happening to me?

Edited by racetam_junkie, 08 March 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#7 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

First off, you need a better choline. Either choline bitartrate or CDP choline would be good. And don't overlook the cholesterol recommend. You may need more of it in your diet.

#8 kbtoy

• 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Hi!
Recently i found about about nootropics. I had trouble with memory and concentration so I decided to try piracetam + lecithin.
At first, a got subtle effects which got better by each day. Peak was archieved in one week.

For the first time I could easily focus on 2-hour lectures at university, understanding every little detail and wanting to know more.
My short term, long term memory improved alot. Productivity at job literally doubled up (i am programmer).

I remember those two weeks as best time of my life. I never ever felt better.

But then effects started fading, increasing dosage didn't help.
I tried various combinations of piracetam/lecithin ration, sometimes i did get subtle effect, but mostly no effect at all.
Then i took 2-week break from piracetam. After break piracetam still didnt give me desired effect.

What could be cause of this?

I've had almost all ADHD symptoms (not severe) for my entire life, but it didnt stop me to get top grades and good job.
Now those symptoms are much worse, i cant force myself to do event simplest things.

Sorry for my poor english.

I had the same happen to me. i have never been able to recreate the effect it had on me when I first used it. Even after months of abstaining from piracetam i don't get the same effect. If you figure it out I would really like to know as well.

#9 SoulTech

• 45 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Wait, should we be going on subjective effects? I always assumed that the subjective feelings of stimulation et. al. weren't necessarily indicative of the cognitive benefits.

#10 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

Anyone else this has happened to, that has ADHD?

#11 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:28 AM

yes, in the past, my experience was very similar to the OPs. I've been taking piracetam again since around the 5th of feburary, and i've been experiencing consistent results ever since around after the two or three week mark. in the past, i would only experience results up until that point. the only thing i did differently this time around is that i didn't supplement with the same choline sources. i used eggs for the first three weeks, and only added in DMAE when i experienced more drastic anticholinergic effects. like i said, the piracetam started working after several weeks this time, and continued to work ever since. I reduced my egg intake somewhat, but i still eat at least a carton every week or so. I occasionally add the dmae back in, usually in low doses. I've explained why i think this is probably working in the piracetam non-responders thread. the effect i'm experiencing is extremely evident and my personality change has been commented on by multiple people. I also supplement with rhodiola rosea. I don't know why what i did is working so well, but it is. i guess that all i can recommend is that you try and replicate what i did. you will have some brainfog for several weeks and you might feel tired at certain points. this is necessary in order for your acetylcholine receptors to upregulate. as i find it unlikely that the lecithin that you're taking is even doing much, you basically ARE doing what i'm recommending. i'm not certain on this point and i'm not sure how much you're taking. i've put a lot of thought into this and have tried piracetam multiple times over the last few years, each time with different dosage combinations and supplements and lifestyle habbits. drop the lecithin, eat eggs every day, and supplement with DMAE at times when you get noticeable brain fog. after a couple weeks you might find your experiencing consistent effects. another thing i may recommend is ingesting lower dosages of caffeine throughout the day. preferably though the form of tea. it seems to activate the piracetam in some way. this will also help with the initial brain fog you may experience without any choline sources other than eggs and occasional DMAE.

Edited by brain, 17 March 2010 - 03:31 AM.

#12 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:30 AM

yes, in the past, my experience was very similar to the OPs. I've been taking piracetam again since around the 5th of feburary, and i've been experiencing consistent results ever since around after the two or three week mark. in the past, i would only experience results up until that point. the only thing i did differently this time around is that i didn't supplement with the same choline sources. i used eggs for the first three weeks, and only added in DMAE when i experienced more drastic anticholinergic effects. like i said, the piracetam started working after several weeks this time, and continued to work ever since. I reduced my egg intake somewhat, but i still eat at least a carton every week or so. I occasionally add the dmae back in, usually in low doses. I've explained why i think this is probably working in the piracetam non-responders thread. the effect i'm experiencing is extremely evident and my personality change has been commented on by multiple people. I also supplement with rhodiola rosea. I don't know why what i did is working so well, but it is. i guess that all i can recommend is that you try and replicate what i did. you will have some brainfog for several weeks and you might feel tired at certain points. this is necessary in order for your acetylcholine receptors to upregulate. as i find it unlikely that the lecithin that you're taking is even doing much, you basically ARE doing what i'm recommending. i'm not certain on this point and i'm not sure how much you're taking. i've put a lot of thought into this and have tried piracetam multiple times over the last few years, each time with different dosage combinations and supplements and lifestyle habbits. drop the lecithin, eat eggs every day, and supplement with DMAE at times when you get noticeable brain fog. after a couple weeks you might find your experiencing consistent effects. another thing i may recommend is ingesting lower dosages of caffeine throughout the day. preferably though the form of tea. it seems to activate the piracetam in some way. this will also help with the initial brain fog you may experience without any choline sources other than eggs and occasional DMAE.

How has your personality changed? What's the before/after effects? I have inattentive ADHD and sometimes I get really slow and its almost impossible for me to be witty because of this. My memory recall is really shitty, and this in addition to my poor social abilities makes college pretty miserable. I'm thinking about giving piracetam a try but I've seen some posts of it downregulating your natural production of chemicals (which ones?i forgot haha), and I can't really afford to have any more issues.

#13 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

DMAE turns me from mild-ADD to obsessive compulsive and it feels strange too. Choline by itself (galantalin or somethin was the brand) also does something similar. 

I cannot stand those "choline-esque" type of effects on the brain it really makes me want to just spontaneously go completely crazy and I get very agitated and want to take the most drastic of measures against the littlest of problems.  

Why does it matter ? Because maybe, regardless of a lot of research and some basic possibilities, a certain substance is just NOT FOR YOU. You can add this or that to it, try to switch up your diet or whatever, but if your uniquely wired body doesn't accept it, you're not getting anywhere.

Knowing medical literature is good, but nothing is better than knowing your own body and brain :)

Your body can also start "rejecting" some substances after any amount of time. I cannot take benzos anymore although I used to like them quite a lot, but never spiraled into extreme addiction, only mild episodes :) Well nowadays I can't take em anymore because I get severe side effects which include puking out bile for hours on end for 48 hours straight, and zero sedative/anxyolitic effect. My friends were taking pills out of the same pack and said they were great as always...

That can be the case with you or piracetam. Don't be thinking you're doing something wrong just because it works for the majority of people and doesn't for you. Try something else :) 

#14 racetam_junkie

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

I will try out "brains" method and report back if it helps me.

#15 racetam_junkie

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

I cannot stand those "choline-esque" type of effects on the brain it really makes me want to just spontaneously go completely crazy and I get very agitated and want to take the most drastic of measures against the littlest of problems.  

Anybody knows more about those "choline-esque" effects?

I've had experienced similar feeling lately when using piracetam + lecithin.
Most depressing feeling is at work - i simply cannot force myself to do any tasks no matter how hard they are.

#16 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

When I used aniracetam at some point I experienced intense brain fog for a couple of hours each day (but I was ok on piracetam and little brain fog with oxiracetam) and I had the feeling if I kept on going it would go away, but it was just that, I never experienced long term but what worked pretty well was to take aniracetam before sleeping so that when I woke up I only experienced enhanced mental energy but I stoped after a couple of days after I felt dizzy after waking up one night. It was too much for me.

You don't get those problems with herbs.

Edited by outsider, 12 April 2010 - 10:05 AM.

#17 Jurence

• 137 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

If you think its useless, then come off of it for a week and see what you think about it then. If you still notice no difference between being on and off it, then redose after a week and see if there is a difference. If not- something is majorly wrong!

#18 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Most depressing feeling is at work - i simply cannot force myself to do any tasks no matter how hard they are.

I always get these effects from choline, I just forked out for some more expensive stuff, cdp, to see if there was a difference but it is exactly the same as the cheap choline. I have officially wrote off choline now and will not take it again in supplement form, the effects are terrible.

Strangely DMAE doesn't produce these effects at all for me as straight up choline does so I continue to take it.

#19 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

For me, brain fog feels a little bit like this. It can start to creep up on me after I've been taking piracetam for a couple of days. Suddenly I realize I'm kind of tired and cranky, and have a hard time feeling like I want to do anything.

As others have said, lecithin is not the best choline source. Choline bitratrate is probably a step up, but if you want one of the really good ones I'd go for CDP-choline or Alpha GPC.

Alpha GPC works for me, but I found that ALCAR fulfills the requirement as well. I haven't heard any others echo this response, so it may be an individual one. But it's probably worth trying anyway, ALCAR is wonderful stuff. Works very well with piracetam, though if it's already making you manic like isochroma I wouldn't advise it.

#20 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

I always get these effects from choline, I just forked out for some more expensive stuff, cdp, to see if there was a difference but it is exactly the same as the cheap choline. I have officially wrote off choline now and will not take it again in supplement form, the effects are terrible.

Strangely DMAE doesn't produce these effects at all for me as straight up choline does so I continue to take it.

Same here. I can't stand choline. The one time I tried it I became manic and then I crashed very hard the same day. But interestingly I can use centrophenoxine just fine and it removed my headache from piracetam.

#21 racetam_junkie

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

lately tried using piracetam without choline source (lecithin).
My observation so far (just 3 days).

*I never get the headache no matter how much i take (ive taken up to 3,2g).
*I always seem to get somewhat sad, emotionless
*Memory worsens
*I start procrastinating
*I don't enjoy listening to music anymore

Maybe i overloaded my brain by using too much lecithin half year ago?

#22 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

I get this with Piracetam and Choline Citrate. Really badly. Feel utterly fatigued like I've just run a marathon too. No idea why.

#23 Perfectionist

• 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

I get this with Piracetam and Choline Citrate. Really badly. Feel utterly fatigued like I've just run a marathon too. No idea why.

I'm getting similar. The headaches with Piracetam have been extremely annoying.

I'm taking 1.2g of Piracetam, with 1200MG Lecithin and 260MG of DMAE per dosage. Still getting some headaches. Anyone with suggestions?

#24 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'm taking 1.2g of Piracetam, with 1200MG Lecithin and 260MG of DMAE per dosage. Still getting some headaches. Anyone with suggestions?

CDP-Choline. It passes the blood-brain barrier better than most choline supplements.

#25 John Barleycorn

• 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:48 AM

Stiff-neck headaches by any chance? Too much acetylcholine, caused by too much piracetam and/or choline.

The basis of all this choline supplementation stuff is confused. It amplifies the cholinergic effect of piracetam, but it is not supposed to fix headaches - in fact, it can make them worse. Also, as far as supplementation goes, if you weren't getting a certain amount from a normal diet, then you couldn't make the acetylcholine neurotransmitter. Secondly, if racetam usage depletes acetylcholine (which hasn't actually been established AFAIAA), it would most likely occur over chronic rather than acute timescales. So you ought to be able to get some initial period of grace before supplementation is required. I am tempted to add a third objection, which is that consuming neurotransmitter precursors doesn't necessarily mean more neurotransmitter is actually synthesised unless someone is grossly deficient in the first place. The body knows how much neurotransmitter it wants, and there are all sorts of mechanisms in place to stop your diet screwing up your brain. On the other hand, acetylcholine seems to be a special case (unlike, say, dopamine precursors) in that there is evidence that supplements all by themselves can lead to an excess.

I realise I'm new around here and talking a certain amount of heresy, but I also put up with piracetam + lecithin stiff-neck headaches and insomnia till I actually did some research, stopped listening to gossip, and started listening to what my body was telling me. The most likely reason why piracetam stops working is plain old simple tolerance development, which is to say receptor desensitisation. Although it depends what people mean by "working" and what they are chasing. Mood lift? Better memory? It may be that the piracetam has simply done its work after a few months. Or it may be that the nootropic effect proceeds independently of the buzz. I never persisted with piracetam long enough to find out, but I have noticed a rapid tolerance effect with aniracetam. It makes me wonder how well-founded this notion is that racetams are for chronic consumption, as a brain tonic. Another consideration is the bell-shaped response curve, ie, take too much and it starts to undo the good effects of a lower dose.

Edited by John Barleycorn, 24 May 2010 - 04:57 AM.

#26 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

I've found to combat the brain fog affect of Piracetam, I need to mix in L-Glutamine. Daily B-complex (liquid) and also rhodiola rosea (liquid) helps. I have to say, though, that L-Glutamine has brought back the good piracetam feelings for me several times.
  • Good Point x 1

#27 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

I've found to combat the brain fog affect of Piracetam, I need to mix in L-Glutamine. Daily B-complex (liquid) and also rhodiola rosea (liquid) helps. I have to say, though, that L-Glutamine has brought back the good piracetam feelings for me several times.

So with the addition of L-Glutamine it works every time without fail, even with chronic daily dosing? It doesn't loose effectiveness and it doesn't induce depression?

#28 iago

• 110 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

Are you getting enough or too much sleep? My sleep cycle affects my response to piracetam. Also, you might try taking caffeine. I prefer guarana as a source of caffeine (also from Yerba Mate or Green Tea). Coffee makes me feel sick and foggy.

Edited by iago, 17 September 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#29 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

My hypothesis would be that the L-Glutamine is synthesizing in your body to produce increased GABA levels in your brain (L-Glutamine is a GABA precursor, I Would approach supplementing it with caution, see here) thereby increasing your feeling of well being. B-complex and rhodiola will boost your energy levels undoubtedly. In reality, you may not be experiencing the effects of piracetam at all but rather an effect of the combo of GABA, B complex and rhodiola. Just for a heads up.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

So with the addition of L-Glutamine it works every time without fail, even with chronic daily dosing? It doesn't loose effectiveness and it doesn't induce depression?

The last 3 times I had symptoms of Piracetam-induced brain fog lasting a day or more, what helped was taking 2x1000mg L-Glutamine. The fog seemed to dissolve away in about 20-30 minutes. Honestly, I had that eureka moment and felt like the "good" Piracetam feelings were back (well-being, slower thoughts, clear head, articulate, etc.).

More generally, as far as combating the Piracetam-related brain fog is concerned, I've found that microdosing the Piracetam prevents the over-agitated, fried-out feeling, and I've realized that caffeine contributes to feelings of brain fog. Only 200mg or so a day of Piracetam and cutting back on the coffee seems to have helped big time.

To answer your question better, I am now taking 1000mg L-Glutamine as a daily morning supplement. That, with a microdose of Piractam and a little ALCAR, seem to provide consistant positive Piracetam affects (going on 3 weeks now).

Edited by owtsgmi, 19 September 2010 - 05:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users