- - - - -

Best way to take Zinc?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

Right now I am taking Zinc at night on an empty stomach with my Magnesium and other nighttime pills. Is there a better way to do this? Why?

#2 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:03 AM

Right now I am taking Zinc at night on an empty stomach with my Magnesium and other nighttime pills. Is there a better way to do this? Why?

Take the zinc somewhere in the afternoon on an empty stomach or early in the morning if you don't eat right away and take the magnesium at night before bedtime for the best absorption. Other minerals interfere with zinc absorption and magnesium is best absorbed at night. Zinc picolinate is the best and magnesium chelated with amino acids is the best.

Best regards,
M4

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

As far as I know Zinc does not compete with Magnesium for absorption.

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:43 AM

Zinc is an NMDA antagonist as is magnesium and the drug memantine. Personally I take zinc at night with magnesium, I also take memantine. Too much NMDA antagonism is good for only one thing: sleep. I've tried zinc in the morning and it seems to slow me down almost like ramping up on the memantine dose or taking too much magnesium in the morning.

http://www.jneurosci...nt/10/1/108.pdf

edit: added link

Edited by edward, 09 February 2010 - 06:55 AM.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

Does the pumpkin oil that comes with the NOW 30mg zinc glycinate help absorption?

#6 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

As far as I know Zinc does not compete with Magnesium for absorption.

It does. Not as much like other minerals such as copper, iron, manganese and calcium but it does.

http://www.thefactsa...m/news/zinc.htm
  • Agree x 1

#7 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

But if I have an empty stomach will it be a big deal?

#8 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

I am leaning towards 50mg of Zinc Picolinate over 30mng of Zinc Glycinate w/ pumpkin seed oil.

#9 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

I am leaning towards 50mg of Zinc Picolinate over 30mng of Zinc Glycinate w/ pumpkin seed oil.

I'll assume to fix a temporary deficiency, then you plan to cut down?

I'm not sure of any evidence suggesting taking that dose longterm would be so healthy. If anything, it may be the opposite.

As for forms... some people have previously mentioned citrate, and there is also opti-zinc. Not sure which is optimal, but I probably wouldn't take giant doses forever. There is also the copper balance thing to consider.

#10 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

If Lamictal truely does deplete Zinc, I will be taking it for quite a while.

#11 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:38 AM

But if I have an empty stomach will it be a big deal?

Not a big deal since it doesn't compete with many other minerals on an empty stomach if you only take zinc and magnesium. But you asked for the optimal way to take both so i answered you.

#12 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:13 AM

Optimum dosage/convenience can be a tricky thing...

#13 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

Optimum dosage/convenience can be a tricky thing...

Well said...

#14 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:35 AM

increased zinc picolinate absorption is offset by increased excretion. zinc glycinate would be a better choice.

you should take zinc with food but away from large doses of other mineral supplements. taking it on an empty stomach will probably cause an upset stomach. minerals are generally better digested with food.

#15 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:53 AM

increased zinc picolinate absorption is offset by increased excretion. zinc glycinate would be a better choice.

you should take zinc with food but away from large doses of other mineral supplements. taking it on an empty stomach will probably cause an upset stomach. minerals are generally better digested with food.

Yeah that's why i said ''Well said'' when the OP said ''Optimum dosage/convenience can be a tricky thing...'' hehe....

#16 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Ironically my stomach feels fine when taking it on an empty stomach, even though my stomach is usually super sensitive

Got a link?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 11 February 2010 - 07:56 AM.

#17 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

Posted Image

I am really curious about this increased excretion thing.

#18 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Agents Actions. 1987 Jun;21(1-2):223-8.
Comparative absorption of zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and zinc gluconate in humans.

Barrie SA, Wright JV, Pizzorno JE, Kutter E, Barron PC.

The comparative absorption of zinc after oral administration of three different complexed forms was studied in 15 healthy human volunteers in a double-blind four-period crossover trial. The individuals were randomly divided into four groups. Each group rotated for four week periods through a random sequence of oral supplementation including: zinc picolinate, zinc citrate, and zinc gluconate (equivalent to 50 mg elemental zinc per day) and placebo. Zinc was measured in hair, urine, erythrocyte and serum before and after each period. At the end of four weeks hair, urine and erythrocyte zinc levels rose significantly (p less than 0.005, p less than 0.001, and p less than 0.001) during zinc picolinate administration. There was no significant change in any of these parameters from zinc gluconate, zinc citrate or placebo administration. There was a small, insignificant rise in serum zinc during zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and placebo supplementation. The results of this study suggest that zinc absorption in humans can be improved by complexing zinc with picolinic acid.

Zinc picolinate raised zinc levels in urine significantly compared to the other forms. That seems like evidence for the excretion claim.

HOWEVER, zinc picolinate raised zinc levels in erythrocytes significantly compared to the other forms. In this study, it was the only form of zinc to be retained and utilized by the body in this manner. Increased urinary and hair excretion is probably just a result of improved gut absorption.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 15 February 2010 - 03:21 PM.

• like x 1

#19 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

Comparison of Four Commercially Available Zinc Supplements for Performance in a Zinc Tolerance Test
Robert A DiSilvestro and Melinda Swan

Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH

ABSTRACT

Various zinc complexes have been used for supplements and food fortifications, but direct comparisons of bioavailability in humans are few. In the present study, in 12 young adult women, four zinc complexes (oxide, picolinate, gluconate, and glycinate) were compared for acute uptake using a zinc tolerance test (plasma zinc changes hourly for 4 h after a single zinc dosing), and two related measures (erythrocyte zinc and activity of the zinc enzyme 5'-nucleotidase over the same 4 h period). Plasma zinc rankings based on area under the curve, as well as by rank results per person, were: glycinate > gluconate > picolinate=oxide. Erythrocyte zinc rankings based on area under the curve, as well as by rank results per person, were: glycinate > picolinate >oxide > gluconate. None of the supplement significantly increased 5'-nucleotidase activities at any of the time points. In summary, zinc glycinate showed the best acute uptake of the four complexes tested. Disclosure Note: R DiSilvestro has a consultant retainer agreement with Albion Laboratories, who supplied zinc glycinate, but this was not true when the study was done, nor did Albion fund this study.

#20 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

I love study battles. It's like Pokemon...but with studies.
  • like x 4

#21 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Any more opinions on this?

#22 montana2012

• 75 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Zinc picolinate raised zinc levels in urine significantly compared to the other forms. That seems like evidence for the excretion claim.

HOWEVER, zinc picolinate raised zinc levels in erythrocytes significantly compared to the other forms. In this study, it was the only form of zinc to be retained and utilized by the body in this manner. Increased urinary and hair excretion is probably just a result of improved gut absorption.

Has the community/science decided on whether Zinc Picolinate is better absorbed than OptiZinc?

Edited by montana2012, 02 November 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#23 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:02 AM

Optizinc is overrated. Picolinate and Glycinate are much better, trust me, i tested all 3, and my friends as well, they feel nothing from Optizinc, but Glycinate (Now Foods Albion) and Picolinate (Throne) are simply great.

#24 Andrey_81

• 249 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

What about ZMA before bed?

#25 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

Zma is mix of zinc magnesium and B6, its good but a bit overpriced, you can get Zinc Glycinate, 120 capsules of 30 mg for 10$, 100 tablets of sublingual pyridoxal-5'-phosphate for 9$ and magnesium glycinate/lysinate for 8$.

The total will be 28 vs 25 for the ZMA, and the forms of the separate supplements are much better imho.

Edited by dazed1, 08 July 2016 - 02:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 samstersam

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

How would you guys rate zinc orotate? Supposedly it has good bioavailability. I've generally heard good things about mineral bioavailability with "orotate" suffix.

I've read somewhere else that lithium orotate, an over the counter supplement is superior to lithium carbonate, the prescription drug, which is a stronger (possible increased toxicity and side effect concerns) but has less bioavailability,

Edited by samstersam, 14 July 2016 - 12:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users