• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How does a low-carb diet affect mental performance?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 farleyknight

• 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

I'm trying to decide if a low-carb diet actually gives you more energy or not. I'm mostly concerned about mental performance and not physical energy. However, I'm finding some links that suggest that a low-carb diet actually impairs the brain:

http://www.richmondr..._236090034.html

http://www.futurepun...ves/005784.html

Does anyone have any better sources that counter this?

#2 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

The effect of low-carb diet on an individual depends a lot on that individual's ability to cope with the change and the state of his metabolism at the start. Some people who utilize ketones efficiently and get improvements in insulin and glucose sensitivity due to low-carb diet might actually benefit mentally from the change. And since we're in the nootropic subforum, I recommend taking acetyl-L-carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid to aid the body (including brains) in it's transition to mainly ketone based energy production, in case you decide to give low-carb diet a try.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

From http://www.bodybuild...om/fun/keto.htm

In reality the benefits of the ketogenic diet heavily outweigh the few pit falls it may have. Some of the points of arguments are:

1. During the first few weeks of the ketogenic diet the body has to go through the "metabolic shift", as Mauro DiPasquale calls it. While going through this the body will experience a small degree of fatigue and brain fog, but once the body gets used to manufacturing ketones as the main energy substrate the body actually has more energy than it previously had, and you won't have to be fighting through all those low blood sugar crashes that your high carb meals previously gave you. Also when in ketosis, ketones are the preferred energy substrate for the brain over protein.

#4 What'sAllThisThen

• 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

You might want to look into the Metabolic Typing Diet which suggests that not everyone will eat the same ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fats to achieve proper health. Some people do well on high protein and low carb, while others need more carbs.

#5 farleyknight

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I've been experimenting with different types of carbs and I haven't had much luck :( Lots of low energy days followed by quick sugar fixes. I've been trying to follow a low-gi diet but for whatever reason it's not working for me. I definitely need to do more research on this.

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I've been experimenting with different types of carbs and I haven't had much luck :( Lots of low energy days followed by quick sugar fixes. I've been trying to follow a low-gi diet but for whatever reason it's not working for me. I definitely need to do more research on this.

Are you eating enough fat/protein ?

I think it might be worth doing the atkins induction to see if you like it.
There might be a drop in cognitive ability, but it should only be temporary.

#7 humanhibernaculum

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'm not sure if it's low-GI diets that are in question, I think it's the actual low (all) carb diets that, in theory, could affect mental performance as a result of low glucose levels.

Getting rid of high GI carbs could only help, in my opinion. You might be experiencing a few days of low energy immediately after dropping high GI carbs because your system is readjusting energy sources from quick, easily-digested bursts to a steady stream (of glucose). I guess it would make sense that, if you're used to a constant supply of quick energy carb fixes, dropping that could affect your overall mental performance for a few days, but it won't last long. Try staying on low GI carbs (while balancing fats and proteins appropriately, generally, less carbs=more fats) for a week and see if your mood/energy levels improve. I'd say they most likely will.

*EDIT - after reading RWAC's response, I realize I misread the question/your dietary experience. Anyway, I agree with RWAC. Any significant energy change is going to take some adjusting. I perform much better mentally and physically on less than 100 carbs a day (which isn't low carb by definition, but still much lower than I used to be) with high fats and somewhat higher than average SAD protein, and I have read many experiences here and elsewhere who have the same claim. Going from 250+ carbs/day to 50 takes some time, but could be well worth the transition period for you.

Edited by humanhibernaculum, 12 February 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#8 farleyknight

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Are you eating enough fat/protein ?

I think it might be worth doing the atkins induction to see if you like it.
There might be a drop in cognitive ability, but it should only be temporary.

My plan was to go low-gi then, after some time, go low-carb. I'm definitely worried about that period of metabolism conversion from glucose to ketones as I really can't afford to miss a whole week of class due to low energy levels. As far as the other macronutrients, I really haven't been keeping track, although I probably ought to, as I wouldn't be surprised if that was the source of the problem.

Edited by farleyknight, 12 February 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#9 What'sAllThisThen

• 101 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Throw some more healthy fats and proteins in your diet if you're having problems with energy from ditching the carbs. Doing it slowly also helps of course. Think in terms of a little inclusion and a little exclusion and work it in/out over weeks.

Olive oil, olives (from the olive bar, not the jar), walnuts, almonds, other raw nuts/seeds, chia/flax seeds, coconut milk and oil and meat, raw dairy (raw cheese is pretty much the only one you can find unless you live in Cali or join a cow share program), avocado, any healthy oil (so no corn, vegetable, canola, etc.).

Also, keep the oils unheated so don't cook with them. Just pour them on top of veggies, salads, or in smoothies. Only cook with high-fat high-heat oils like coconut and maybe avocado.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

Excellent thread... I'm curious about this

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been asking these over-enthusiastic low carb pushers like DukeNukem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users