Pyritinol Research

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 09:35 PM

Pyritinol: The European Smart Drug

The drug Pyritinol is used in Europe for the treatment of several forms of neurologic impairment. Based upon published research, this therapy shows benefits in the treatment of early stage Alzheimer's disease, stroke, vertigo, head trauma, and age-associated mental impairment.

The evidence shows that pyritinol enhances neuronal metabolic function. It works by increasing brain-cell energy levels so that youthful, cognitive function can be at least partially restored. There is a large volume of human clinical data supporting the safety and efficacy of this European therapy.

The pyritinol molecule is structurally similar to vitamin B6, but functions in the brain in a different way. The dose of pyritinol used in most of the human clinical studies is 200-mg taken 3 times a day.

(In referring to the studies described below, a "double-blind" trial is one in which neither the subjects nor the persons administering the treatment know which treatment a subject is receiving. When a trial is "randomized," it means that subjects are assigned to treatment groups in a known probability distribution, to produce more accurate results.)

The journal Alzheimer's Research (2/3 1996) reported on a double-blind study conducted in the United States in which pyritinol was compared to Hydergine and placebo (a dummy treatment) in treating 100 patients with Alzheimer's disease. Two measures of cognitive function were used to assess treatment effects.

After 12 weeks of treatment, "the results indicated that treatment with pyritinol was associated with a significant and continuous improvement in cognitive functioning over the course of the study, while treatment with Hydergine was associated with a more modest improvement that tended to plateau early in the treatment phase."
In the journal Neuropsychobiology (26(1-2) 1992), a 12-week, double-blind clinical trial was performed to investigate the benefit of pyritinol in the treatment of several forms of senile dementia. A total of 156 patients were allocated to either of two groups: the "senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type" group, or the "multi- infarct dementia (stroke)" group.

In a 12-week, double-blind treatment, the researchers used three well-established tests to evaluate cognitive function. In addition, EEG brain mapping was employed to measure brain-cell function.

The doctors stated, "The therapeutic efficacy of pyritinol was clearly demonstrated by confirmatory analysis as the drug was statistically significantly superior to placebo in all three target variables. The EEG mapping demonstrated significant differences between placebo and pyritinol.

Based on the results of this trial, it can be accepted that the therapeutic effect of pyritinol is superior to placebo in patients with mild to moderate dementia of both degenerative (Alzheimer's) and vascular (stroke) etiology."

As reported in a study in the British journal International Clinical Psychopharmacology (January, 1989), 26 patients with Alzheimer's disease were randomly assigned in a double- blind trial of pyritinol versus placebo. The patients had a mild to moderate degree of dementia.

The results of the study showed that "pyritinol was associated with a significant improvement in cognitive performance. Regional cerebral blood-flow data showed that treatment with pyritinol normalized the pattern of blood flow increase during activation and improved the score on the test used for activation."

In the German journal Pharmacopsychiatry (September 1986), the effects of pyritinol were investigated in a placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind study in geriatric patients suffering from cerebral functional disorders, with a moderate to severe degree of chronic brain syndrome. In a previous study, a rise in the vigilance (wakefulness, alertness) level was demonstrated in patients undergoing pyritinol treatment. Data from 107 patients were included in the statistical analysis, 54 on pyritinol and 53 on placebo. No notable adverse drug reactions were observed.
The doctors reported, "Statistically significant results were found in favor of pyritinol, compared with placebo, in both the level of clinical symptomatology & the performance level. Particularly impressive was the superiority of pyritinol in the factor 'social behavior.'"

In the journal Neuropsychobiology (24(3) 1990), 12 healthy male volunteers received pyritinol in doses of 600 or 1,200 mg per day, or placebo for three days according to a randomized, double-blind design. On the first and third days of each of the three treatment periods, subjects completed a battery of psychological tests. The doctors reported, "Significant improvements in the Critical Flicker Fusion test and the Choice Reaction Time test were found after pyritinol."

In a study conducted at the Max-Planck-Institute of Neurology and published in Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences (640, 1991), pyritinol was tested along with piracetam and phosphatidylserine in Alzheimer's patients. Positron emission tomography (PET) was used to measure the brain's energy metabolism (brain functioning).

The doctors noted that glucose metabolism decreases slightly with age, but Alzheimer's disease shows severe deficits in glucose metabolism. In the assessment of the effects of pyritinol on disturbed glucose metabolism, the doctors stated, "PET studies showed general increases in glucose utilization with piracetam, pyritinol and phosphatidylserine.

In the Journal of International Medical Research (9/3, 1981) 270 patients suffering from different forms of brain injury were treated with pyritinol for 6 weeks. It was shown that, "compared with placebo therapy, pyritinol produces statistically significant improvement in clinical and psycho neurological manifestations. It is concluded that pyritinol is a drug of therapeutic benefit in the treatment of the [results] of cerebral trauma."

In Pharmatherapeutica (England, 2/5, 1980) a double-blind, placebo- controlled trial was carried out on 40 patients suffering from moderately advanced dementia. The patients were allocated randomly either to pyritinol or placebo for 3 months. Assessments of cognitive function were made pre-treatment and monthly up to 3 months, and then at follow-up at 6 months. The doctors concluded, "Patients on pyritinol showed significantly higher levels of improvement than did those on placebo. Laboratory tests conducted throughout remained within normal limits for both groups."
In the German journal Med. Klin. (73/31 1978), 161 patients with chronic organic brain syndrome (average age 64 years) were treated with various doses of pyritinol for different periods of time. The doctors stated, "Statistical analysis of the data showed the success rate of treatment increases significantly with increasing dose & duration of [Pyritinol].

In the French journal Ouest Medicine (29/1 1976), pyritinol was tested on people who suffered from vertigo. The doctors described a complicated mechanism by which pyritinol was effective against vertigo, and reported the following:
"In a clinical experience with 60 cases of vertigo, the author obtained a cure rate of 83.33%, accompanied by an improvement in the patients' mental and social state. The drug was tolerated well by patients of all ages."

The Czech journal Cs. Pediat. (29/10 1974) reported that pyritinol was tested on 41 children (28 boys and 13 girls) with various diseases of the central nervous system. The doctors reported, "In severe contusions of the skull with apallic syndrome (a total of 9 children), improvement was recorded in the majority, & marked improvement in 33%.

In meningo-encephalitis (8 children), treatment was successful in 50% the patients; in infantile cerebral palsy and malformations on the brain (19 children), treatment was successful in about 33% of cases. In minor disorders of the brain (5 children), the effect was smallest. According to these results, pyritinol treatment offers a certain contribution to treatment used in pediatric neurological practice."

Those with any of the neurological impairments that pyritinol has been documented to alleviate should consider taking 200 mg 3 times a day under the care of a physician, preferably a neurologist. It appears that pyritinol can produce both an immediate and a cumulative beneficial effect on neurologic function.

Those seeking to preserve and enhance cognitive function may consider trying 2 200-mg capsules of pyritinol early in the day in place of drugs such as Hydergine. It is suggested that pyritinol be taken early in the day because its cerebral-energizing benefits can interfere with sleep if taken too close to bedtime.

Above Article from www.lef.org
LifeMirage

Edited by LifeMirage, 29 May 2005 - 07:57 PM.

#2 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:57 AM

Everything must come together... exercise, rest, diet, supplements. In my personal expierence, I feel consistently more at a peak level as I've developed my regimen.

For example, when I was in college persuing my first engineering degree I'd frequently ace or set a curve and then wander off to search for my car in the parking lot. I couldn't understand it. How could I perform at an elevated scholastic level and then couldn't find my own car in the lot... or sometimes the wrong lot!?.

Since I've been supplementing over the last couple of years, and especially in the last year as nootropics became much more obtainable (cost effective), I frequently have vivid images of where I've casually left things. In the morning, I wake right up and feel refreshed.

There is no question, that something is clicking where it wasn't alway before.

Once again, there is no magic bullet. Everything has to come together before supplements can help you to your peak. Diet, exercise, rest are the foundation in my humble opinion. After that, a good multivitamin/mineral/antioxident supplement (I like Life Extension Mix myself) for starters.

Stick around the board, and think critically.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:12 AM

Thanks eola, I wasn't trying to be rude just trying to prevent clutter. I can sympathize with your position based on your post. I think we can help you, but based on the number of disorders you have you will also need the guidance of a physician and/or pyschiatrist.

On the supplement side of things I have a few suggestions to begin with:

-Pyritinol (I see you've already come across this)
-Aniracetam
-Piracetam (could offer a "centered" feeling, a subjective view of some people who use it, otherwise it's quite a useful and cheap nootropic)
-B multi-vitamin
-L-Theanine (non-nootropic, relaxing and possibly stress relieving)
-Strattera (should help directly with your ADD, not everyone responds though)
-L-Tyrosine (should be taken with Strattera to prevent norepinephrine depletion)

.. that's a good start I think.

On the non-supplement side here are some suggestions:
- a full night sleep (remarkably helpful for a number of ailments)
- deep breathing exercises for a few minutes whenever needed (helps reduce stress and MAY help with your depression)
- go out with friend once in a while, make sure you aren't forcing yourself to go out, enjoy that time

There's probably more I could add but this is something you can start with for now.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:53 AM

Eola0713

I was in a hurry and wrong to emphasize the supps over the points the others have made (sleep...).

You might try this exercise:

http://www.imminst.o...t=0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users