• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Will i get into University with a conviction ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Solarclimax

• 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

I am wanting to go to University to study Biochemistry (here in the UK), I'm 26 and i have a criminal record for cultivation and theft. I got caught with some scrap metal in my car that came from a site that was being demolished and whilst i was in the cells the police did a routine search of my house and found a few cannabis plants in my room, there was around 4 big plants and 21 cuttings that where around a week old. "It says on the disclosure form i have obtained that i had to pay £50 court costs for "FORFEITURE UNDER S27 MISUSE DRUGS ACT '71 AND DESTRUCTION - 26 CANNABIS PLANTS"

That was over a year ago, how does that effect my chances of getting onto a University course in particular Biochemistry ? If it makes any difference the offences where committed around a year and a half ago, in that time i completed a computer course over the period of a year at a local college. Although i had not yet been convicted at the time of the application so i didn't put down any convictions on the college application form. The teacher on the course said to me at the end. i can use him as a reference if i ever get a job ect. although he doesn't know of my conviction, he knows I'm not an idiot and i doubt he would retract his offer of a reference even if i told him about the convictions.

#2 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

You can always try.. I think this is really minor offenses.

#3 Solarclimax

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

You can always try.. I think this is really minor offenses.

Well anyone who doesn't have their head in the clouds would compare this to our society on a whole and realise how minor it really is, and that's just comparing it to stuff what isn't illegal. I forgot to mention i was experimenting growing weed and only had room for 8 fully grown plants, most the cuttings where as good as dead, as stated in the police report. No where near the 21 small and 4 tall which apparently equates to 26 plants of unknown size :) . Sorry for sounding like a babbling idiot, it's just i only just realised how serious University's can take a criminal record or failure to declare 1 (after reading up online). And it's very upsetting. BTW i don't smoke weed or take any drugs (i have done in the past but that is well and truly in the past), i never ever drink alcohol. (i was growing the weed to sell i had my reasons), The only things i do are take nootropics, self teach myself a foreign language and also Math's and Chemistry, more subjects to come. I have a great diet and exercise regularly (even more so as my interests in life extension have developed), basically the opposite to 95% of the people that i would be placed in the same category as, by some people.

Edited by Solarclimax, 19 February 2010 - 10:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, I don't think they do a criminal background check. Growing a little weed as a lad is pretty lightweight, it's not like you're an armed robber. I wouldn't worry about it. You could always call the admissions office anonymously and just ask them if they care.

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Look at the applications and see what the questions it asks... the only likely time they'd need to check your police record is when sending you out on a practical assignment to a real world workplace.

#6 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'm not from UK, but imho this shouldn't be a problem at all. Even if you were in jail - they (goverment) would be more then happy that some person that behaved "bad" suddenly wants to take a serious activity like getting a degree and I'm sure in a civilised country there should be no restrictions to getting an education for anyone.

Edited by VidX, 20 February 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#7 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

Just for comparison purposes, in the United States it wouldn't keep you from getting into any state universities. I'm not sure if the private ones do background checks.

The only exception would be medical programs. Many med schools didn't necessarily do background checks. The hospitals where the clinicals would be performed usually required one though. It still doesn't necessarily bar you from entry though.

#8 Occam

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Solar, there is one important omission to the above. If you decide to not report your conviction on your application your uni will not likely notice the discrepancy. However, if you plan on getting a licensure in the future, you may have serious problems. In the us, when u apply for a prof license they check your police record and your application to uni to make certain you are not a lier. If u falsified the uni app your only option would be to expunge, but i dont know if its possible in the uk. Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users