• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Back to school for immortality and life extension studies - Where?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Live_Forever

• 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

I am looking for suggestions on which colleges, universities, and other programs of study are best suited for me to look into...

Background: I am 38 years old and have been in corporate America for my entire career. I am looking to make a change and understand I will be "starting over" as I enter this new-to-me field. Although I attended "some college," I have not yet completed my degree. I am not interested in transferring over my human anatomy and related course credits as I'd prefer to undertake the current curriculum and research studies, but I might be able to transfer some of the general requirements courses. I have always been intrigued/infatuated/drawn to this field, and I feel now is the time to commit to my interest here.

I am looking for direction with which institutions offer what types of programs in this space and which programs are available today.

I would like to keep the request pretty vague in order to get more responses and more ideas, but if I have to help to narrow anything down somewhat I would say I am looking to be more research and philosophical as opposed to clinical. (So, not necessarily a medical degree in order to perform surgeries or other procedures -- unless that is a requirement for the research/studies.)
Additionally, I would like to transcend the curing of terminal diseases and address life extension and immortality studies. (So, although curing cancer, diabetes, etc. may be an integral part of the course of study and/or research in order to understand biological processes, cause/effect, etc. - the ideal focus in the long-term is health/life extension/immortality. Spin-offs could also include performance enhancement (mental and physical), treatment, etc.)

I live in NJ but am open to suggestions anywhere in the US or in the world for that matter.
Any specific contacts and introductions are extremely welcomed!

Please ask if there are clarifying questions you need answered in order to best reply.
Thank you in advance for all suggestions... :)

Edited by Live_Forever, 23 March 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#2 Live_Forever

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

Thank you to those who sent advice and info via PM.
I am still looking for additional thoughts, suggestions, links, etc. and greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you!

#3 Minhaj

• 35 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

I am so excited for you. I think people who return to education bring a refreshing perspective. I read some where that the brain does not fully mature until we are 25. I have a feeling you will achieve a lot and also be a much happier person in the process. Would you consider Nano Technology? Here is a useful link from Nano Technology Initiative Website:

http://www.nano.gov/...u/eduunder.html

Go for it man!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Warp_Splinter

• 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:13 AM

Here in CA typically what you would do is follow a transfer program in community college, then transfer to a university for your bachelor's degree. Perhaps there's something similar in your area. Out-of-state tuition for public schools can be expensive, so maybe you can find something in your home state. For the kinds of things you're interested in I'd recommend a research university that offers undergraduate (bachelor's) and graduate (master's and doctororal) degrees as well as research positions. Even if you're just getting your undergraduate degree to start, it will open up a lot of opportunities.

As far as choosing a major, bioengineering is always a great choice; you get to learn as much as you like in biology and related areas, plus you get quantitative experience from the engineering side of it. If you're looking for something with less math you could try for example biochemistry, molecular biology, or cell biology. Other good majors include mathematics, physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, and computer science; any these can lead to graduate studies in the biological sciences.

Edited by Warp_Splinter, 17 February 2011 - 04:18 AM.

#5 Mari

• 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

Just wondering, did you get some answers? I'd be interested in the exact same question, and I'll be off to college in 2 years.

#6 Zane Lam

• 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

An unlimited lifespan may not be something in science fiction novels anymore and I would like to be a part of it.I find that restarting a diploma and then degree would be too slow and lengthy and I may study something totally not related to what I want. So are there any online or distance learning courses which I could take up? Or just find knowledge through google and wikipedia? For your info, I have zerO knowledge in biology except basic knowledge of the anatomy. Please advise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users